Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

16 hours ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Once the rumors of Dan selling the team started to heat up I pretty much knew that the current staff was safe for 2023.

Issue still stands of a lame duck staff doing everything they can to earn a second contract. Screwing up the future. 

26 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Issue still stands of a lame duck staff doing everything they can to earn a second contract. Screwing up the future. 

The tank became impossible weeks ago, let it go. Now we’re in a place where these young players developing and learning to win is much more important than the difference between the 11th pick and the 20th pick or whatever. The shot at a top 5 pick died a month ago. They didn’t trade any future assets at the deadline to save their jobs, they won’t be able to make any big win-now splashes this offseason because we’ll be awkwardly between owners. Just let it go, this staff is just going to play out the string and try to show they deserve their jobs for another year. Nothing about that is ruining the future now that a high draft pick is obviously not happening. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Conn said:

The tank became impossible weeks ago, let it go. Now we’re in a place where these young players developing and learning to win is much more important than the difference between the 11th pick and the 20th pick or whatever. The shot at a top 5 pick died a month ago. They didn’t trade any future assets at the deadline to save their jobs, they won’t be able to make any big win-now splashes this offseason because we’ll be awkwardly between owners. Just let it go, this staff is just going to play out the string and try to show they deserve their jobs for another year. Nothing about that is ruining the future now that a high draft pick is obviously not happening. 

Its done this year. No chance. Im terrified of what they try to do in the offseason. Thats been my problem even before the owner sale. Lame duck staffs do desperate things.

13 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Its done this year. No chance. Im terrified of what they try to do in the offseason. Thats been my problem even before the owner sale. Lame duck staffs do desperate things.

I feel pretty sure the new owner’s first order of business is going to be “this is an evaluation season while I get settled, premium draft picks are not on the table to be moved”. And any owner has to sign off on large contracts being signed. I think you’re worried about a non-existent problem, personally. 

I also truly don’t think Rivera is the type of guy to see himself as a “lame duck”, whether he should or not. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

You know what's funny.  No one gives a damn about the name now that we are winning.  

Oh, I still hate it, wont call them that, and wont buy any gear with that name on it.  Winning just makes people want to pay attention to the games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope Rivera and staff do well enough to keep their jobs for the foreseeable future. Do I think that will happen? I am not sure. They haven’t yet proved that they deserve to be here, although they are making strides. If we make the playoffs this year and next, I would like to see him stay.

I’m in his corner as long as the team plays tough and the coaching is competent. 

it would be nice to have a coach for the long run. However, this team has some nice pieces and I would hate to see them go to waste. 

If Ron is successful from here on out and I was buying the team, I would keep him. If he’s not, then gone. 

Simple

Edit: I’ve always felt NFL players should get guaranteed contracts. they put their life and minds on the line every play. The nfl owes the players to do what’s right.

Edited by Fan since a Fetus

13 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

You know what's funny.  No one gives a damn about the name now that we are winning.  

Nah.

I still hate the name "Commanders".

I think it's a dumb name for a football team.

But you can only complain about it so much before you are just repeating yourself. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

Nah.

I still hate the name "Commanders".

I think it's a dumb name for a football team.

But you can only complain about it so much before you are just repeating yourself. 

It's almost worse now. We've got a team that's suddenly interesting, and every time some TV personality says "Commanders," it lands with a dull thud. Having the Minnesota Golden Gophers' helmets but with an upside down logo doesn't help, either.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, profusion said:

It's almost worse now. We've got a team that's suddenly interesting, and every time some TV personality says "Commanders," it lands with a dull thud. Having the Minnesota Golden Gophers' helmets but with an upside down logo doesn't help, either.

You're being too harsh on it. The name and logo are perfect, and they make for the best holidays. Mander Mondays, Taco-holder Tuesdays, W-shaped Taco-holder Wednesdays. Taco-holder Thursdays. Football Team Fridays wait we don't do that anymore. But they all roll off the tongue.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

So this is a bit of a headscratcher. Cleveland did something stupid so every team should? No fat, out-of-shape headcase DTs have received $100m deals since Cerrato went full Tyrone Biggums $450,000 crack party. Is that collusion too?

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

So this is a bit of a headscratcher. Cleveland did something stupid so every team should? No fat, out-of-shape headcase DTs have received $100m deals since Cerrato went full Tyrone Biggums $450,000 crack party. Is that collusion too?

Let's get a totally unbiased opinion from the legal representatives of people who would kill to get fully guaranteed contracts for their short-lived careers: Yes, it's collusion to not pay the maximum price possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

The absence of such contracts in a cutthroat league with teams desperately hungry for QB talent is strong circumstantial evidence of collusion.

And yes, it would violate the law. Silicon Valley tech firms got busted for something similar a few years ago when it turned out they had backroom deals not to poach each other's employees.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I get what you’re saying.

But I think the bottom line is the owners collude when it comes to contracts to not set precedent they don’t want set.

Pash’s “gods work” email to Bruce falls in line with this.  The owners loathe the NFLPA because they don’t want to pay a nickel more than they have to.  That’s something all 32 generally have in common.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

You're being too harsh on it. The name and logo are perfect, and they make for the best holidays. Mander Mondays, Taco-holder Tuesdays, W-shaped Taco-holder Wednesdays. Taco-holder Thursdays. Football Team Fridays wait we don't do that anymore. But they all roll off the tongue.

The last couple weeks, the average play-by-play on TV goes like this: "WOW, WHAT A GREAT STOP ON THIRD DOWN BY THE...commanders." 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The owners loathe the NFLPA because they don’t want to pay a nickel more than they have to.  That’s something all 32 generally have in common.

That's not just business owners--it's common sense. I don't want to pay a nickel more for anything if I don't have to.

Everybody's gangster until it's their own team that gave a fully guaranteed contract to someone goes on to tear an ACL, get his first of three concussions, and is forever a shell of himself. Then it's a "poor investment."

Does it suck that the player won't get paid in full for putting his body on the line? Yes. Will it suck that the team will be crippled for three years because a hobbled player can't be replaced because his cap is a black hole? Also yes.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Everybody's gangster until it's their own team that gave a fully guaranteed contract to someone goes on to tear an ACL, get his first of three concussions, and is forever a shell of himself. Then it's a "poor investment."

Does it suck that the player won't get paid in full for putting his body on the line? Yes. Will it suck that the team will be crippled for three years because a hobbled player can't be replaced because his cap is a black hole? Also yes.

It wouldn’t cripple the team because the entire structure of the salary cap would just change. Every team playing under the same rules would just mean that the salary cap is maneuvered differently—and it would have to be higher. Which is fine given the money the NFL makes that it doesn’t share with the players. But the reason it would cripple you now is because of the way remaining guaranteed money accelerates and hits the cap when a player is cut, etc. These are all just made up rules meant to facilitate parity under the current system (and keep guaranteed money in check and doled out smartly). If the NFL ever underwent a massive change like going to fully guaranteed contracts, the made up rules would just also change and the owners would just be able to hoard less money. Which is why they don’t like this. 

But in terms of crippling a team’s competitiveness under a salary cap system, nah. The way guarantees interact with the salary cap rules would all just change. Those rules weren’t handed down by god lol, they were made up. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Conn said:

Which is fine given the money the NFL makes that it doesn’t share with the players.

I don’t understand this part of your point: the NFL and NFLPA agreed to a revenue split of something like 52%\48%, and the salary cap is directly tied to the 48% of projected revenue.  

What I don’t honestly know is what, if any, revenue streams are not subjected to the NFL revenue sharing and CBA.  The union would be damn fools to allow the NFL teams to make significant revenue outside of the revenue sharing.  Not saying it couldn’t happen and whatshisname has been a disaster of the head of the NFLPA.

But I think in order for the cap to go up, 2 things would have to happen: 1) revenue would have to go up (which it is) 2) the owners would have to negotiate a lower percentage of their share, which there is little to no chance of happening.