Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

24 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

C'mon.  Why do you have to depress me further?  

It's going to Be Raheem Morris, DeMeco Ryans or Byron Leftwich.     and the GM will be be Mayhew or Riddick.    

I personally like the idea of Ben Johnson from the Lions....he was a QB at UNC like our boy Slingin Sammy!  

lol, like I said in a different post to you I don't care so much, I am not jazzed about any new narrative.  Too many failed regimes to be jazzed that this time its different.

Trying to think like Dan.  He likes to zig and then zag from veteran to newbee coach.  

So it might be a newbee.  Since IMO he can't get a hot in demand type, I'd guess he'd be lured to do something similar to what the Dolphins did and go with an obscure tie to a young hot coach so am guessing someone on McVay's staff. 

23 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

At least the process is better than coach centric even though I think Martin is terrible at his job. Rick Smith I would welcome with open arms. 

Someone to watch for though is Mo Brown. If the Colts implode and hes gone Mo is well thought of and knows how to navigate Dan. Thats if Dan doesnt go through the preferred route of interviewing a wide net from the good organizations. 

Not sure I agree.  At a minimum it depends on who he hires.   Another Bruce type-Dan co-GM arrangement is definitely a downgrade IMO.  You hate the way Mayhew has drafted but he IMO did much better than Bruce. 

lol, this whole conversation of obscure coaches, retreads and getting the band back where Dan can mess with personnel again -- is depressing to me. 😧

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

The worst part of all of this, the new era offensive genius in today's NFL, Lafleur, McVay, Shanahan, O'Connell, McDaniel, Z. Taylor, all started in or are disciples of Shanahan and we have not one of them and they wouldn't come here if we tried....

We actually had McVay here and you see how long that lasted.    Again,  you can't fix a toxic owner,  only one has to be replaced.  It is so unfortunate that we are stuck with Dan Synder.  

5 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

We actually had McVay here and you see how long that lasted.    Again,  you can't fix a toxic owner,  only one has to be replaced.  It is so unfortunate that we are stuck with Dan Synder.  

Oh how I wish we had Dan Synder, now that guy was an owner.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Another Bruce type-Dan co-GM arrangement is definitely a downgrade IMO

I dont expect this to happen. Its why he spent his time on the south of france with his other friends over there. If he cans Ron I dont know how he can think the fans would be ok with his doubling down on his old methods would work out. Still not going to have a stadium done by then. He needs fans there. 

12 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

The worst part of all of this, the new era offensive genius in today's NFL, Lafleur, McVay, Shanahan, O'Connell, McDaniel, Z. Taylor, all started in or are disciples of Shanahan and we have not one of them and they wouldn't come here if we tried....

It's a good point, Shanny thinks Dan is a loser-city so he would discourage them to come here.

The next coach with a winning record under Dan would be the first.

Heck we haven't won a playoff game in 17 years.  Winning a playoff game I think is our new SB.  

Not sure I agree.  At a minimum it depends on who he hires.   Another Bruce type-Dan co-GM arrangement is definitely a downgrade IMO.  You hate the way Mayhew has drafted but he IMO did much better than Bruce. 

lol, this whole conversation of obscure coaches, retreads and getting the band back where Dan can mess with personnel again -- is depressing to me. 😧

Hey, it is depressing, I agree, but in my opinion the on-field product with Scott Turner trotting out the same nonsense every year to start, and even having a 4-game winning streak in the middle where it looked like he understood playcalling (only to turn it right around again late)... 

For me, this looks like the biggest disparity in player talent level and coaching that I've seen. Right now, I lay more of the blame on coaching than I have in a long time. I mean, Spurrier made some stupid decisions with the Florida-Skins, but he basically hosed himself with his players AND his plans. This group is making us worse on personnel (in my opinion, getting Wentz and subsequently losing a lot of good value players made us MUCH worse), but even then, they are underperforming with what they have. This is also an annual occurrence.

What has become clear to me is Ron is just not a good head coach, and he has surrounded himself with idiots. The number one on that list appears to be Scott, and Ron is standing by him to the tune of an unearned 3-year extension. That pair alone is why, even with the potential of another Zorn like situation, I'm ready to move on at this point.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Heck we haven't won a playoff game in 17 years.  Winning a playoff game I think is our new SB.  

Well, yeah. With Snyder, the pinnacle of success is a playoff win. I do believe that is true. Snyder breaks his toy at that point.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

Those guys weren't "flashy" enough for Snyder. He has proven time and again he covets other teams' goods over the people in his own organization.

For GM, what's to keep him from just promoting Doug Williams?

9 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I dont expect this to happen. Its why he spent his time on the south of france with his other friends over there. If he cans Ron I dont know how he can think the fans would be ok with his doubling down on his old methods would work out. Still not going to have a stadium done by then. He needs fans there. 

Casual fans which is his key target doesn't know squat about GMs.  If its about sex appeal its about the coach.    And while you and some stagglers are excited about the NEXT narrative, I think the average Commanders fan is skeptical and unmoved by the next narrative whenever it comes.

A. Marty Ball

B.  Fun and Gun

C.  Gibbs is back

D.  Stud coordinators under Gibbs with Gregg and the 100 page playbook Al Saunders

E.  Zorn will fix Campbell

F. Gruden will fix RG3

G. Rivera bringing a new culture.

None of those coaches have a winning record.  So how many people you think are excited about the next narrative Dan sells?  And how many buy that the next GM will be the first that Dan doesn't interfere with?  It's not like Dan advertises in advance that he will interfere -- he does it in the shadows and it comes out later. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

You assume him to be self aware enough to give a **** what the fans think. All data from the last 20 yrssguests he is completely tone deaf to what the fans think or want. In fact he does not care what anyone thiks or cares. 

He keeps rinse and repeating time after time with little adjustments. He needs to hire a GM and let them run the team including hiring thier own HC and hire his FO. But he insists on doing anything BUT that. No reason to think he will suddenly get it now. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SkinsNumberOne said:

Hey, it is depressing, I agree, but in my opinion the on-field product with Scott Turner trotting out the same nonsense every year to start, and even having a 4-game winning streak in the middle where it looked like he understood playcalling (only to turn it right around again late)... 

For me, this looks like the biggest disparity in player talent level and coaching that I've seen. Right now, I lay more of the blame on coaching than I have in a long time. I mean, Spurrier made some stupid decisions with the Florida-Skins, but he basically hosed himself with his players AND his plans. This group is making us worse on personnel (in my opinion, getting Wentz and subsequently losing a lot of good value players made us MUCH worse), but even then, they are underperforming with what they have. This is also an annual occurrence.

What has become clear to me is Ron is just not a good head coach, and he has surrounded himself with idiots. The number one on that list appears to be Scott, and Ron is standing by him to the tune of an unearned 3-year extension. That pair alone is why, even with the potential of another Zorn like situation, I'm ready to move on at this point.

Well, yeah. With Snyder, the pinnacle of success is a playoff win. I do believe that is true. Snyder breaks his toy at that point.

For me i am done with getting jazzed about the next coaching regime might turn this around.

• Like 2

For me i am done with getting jazzed about the next coaching regime might turn this around.

I don't know, "turn it around" to a super bowl? No. 

"Turn it around" from what we saw the last three weeks? Yes, I think that is doable. I think we are at a point that is low enough to say, yes, even a Snyder-owned team can be better than this. -- but let me be clear, I'm not "jazzed" about it. Just think we can do better than what we see right now.

Edited by SkinsNumberOne

If Snyder actually was a good owner, he would bring in a real football guy to be the GM. Ron is just not a good GM/Head coach. Time and again, teams that have hired someone to do both have failed. Remember Mike Holmgren? Seattle gave him the keys to the franchise and he didn’t do much although he did take them to the Superbowl once. He was a pretty good darn coach with Green Bay but couldn’t duplicate those results.

Seattle has had some good football guys in the front office with John Schneider currently. This year was supposed to be rebuilding year but they are looking pretty decent with frickin Geno Smith at qb.

Mayhew has the title of GM but he’s downright awful. He was awful in Detroit. Get rid of him and bring in someone who has the authority on final say. Alas I don’t think that will happen. 

• Like 1

I hear Matt Millen is available. By Snyder's standard, he would be a fan favorite because he was on the 1991 Super Bowl team. 🤨

Or just promote Doug Williams. He won the 1987 Super Bowl, and it's obvious Snyder will only hire Redskin legacies or under-qualified yes-men. 😮

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Casual fans which is his key target doesn't know squat about GMs.  If its about sex appeal its about the coach.    And while you and some stagglers are excited about the NEXT narrative, I think the average Commanders fan is skeptical and unmoved by the next narrative whenever it comes.

A. Marty Ball

B.  Fun and Gun

C.  Gibbs is back

D.  Stud coordinators under Gibbs with Gregg and the 100 page playbook Al Saunders

E.  Zorn will fix Campbell

F. Gruden will fix RG3

G. Rivera bringing a new culture.

None of those coaches have a winning record.  So how many people you think are excited about the next narrative Dan sells?  And how many buy that the next GM will be the first that Dan doesn't interfere with?  It's not like Dan advertises in advance that he will interfere -- he does it in the shadows and it comes out later. 

Maybe in 2003 but the average fan in general is so much more intune with the game top to bottom. 

This is going to THE the longest season and probably one of the worst seasons in franchise history.  The entire division is better while this team is garbage.  They were so desperate to get better at QB, they traded for a fragile minded QB who they thought they could fix.  Big time wrong there.  The OL and starting CBs are are a dumpster fire.  The coaching staff and FO were so high on themselves that they basically ran it all back on defense.  Utter and complete failure.  On top of all of this, they chose a stupid new generic name with no ties to the city and God awful uniforms designed by the owner's wife.   

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Maybe in 2003 but the average fan in general is so much more intune with the game top to bottom. 

You think the average Commanders fan is jazzed about the next narrative as whatever the new regime would be?

I'll start with I think you will be disappointed if you think its coming ASAP, I doubt Rivera gets canned this year. 

but even if I were you and excited about Ron being gone -- I am at a 0 out of 10 as far as being jazzed about whatever the next regime is.  We've had almost 25 years of different new beginnings.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, SkinsNumberOne said:

I don't know, "turn it around" to a super bowl? No. 

"Turn it around" from what we saw the last three weeks? Yes, I think that is doable. I think we are at a point that is low enough to say, yes, even a Snyder-owned team can be better than this. -- but let me be clear, I'm not "jazzed" about it. Just think we can do better than what we see right now.

I’d venture a guess, that you thought the same thing when Jay was fired and Ron took his place.  Or when Shanny was fired and Jay took his place, and the list goes on.  It always ‘feels’ like new should be better but it never really is, and even if it flirts with better, it always gets worse.  It’s the Snyder cycle.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

This is going to THE the longest season and probably one of the worst seasons in franchise history.  The entire division is better while this team is garbage.  They were so desperate to get better at QB, they traded for a fragile minded QB who they thought they could fix.  Big time wrong there.  The OL and starting CBs are are a dumpster fire.  The coaching staff and FO were so high on themselves that they basically ran it all back on defense.  Utter and complete failure.  On top of all of this, they chose a stupid new generic name with no ties to the city and God awful uniforms designed by the owner's wife.   

Its going to be long and arduous. Even if they string together some wins and end up battling to 7 wins or something like that everyone can see that everyone else in the division is on a path to being better. Than us in the future. We'll be stuck in the middle still with no QB along with likely the worst FO in the league sticking around lead by an out of date HC who has no idea what hes doing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’d venture a guess, that you thought the same thing when Jay was fired and Ron took his place.  Or when Shanny was fired and Jay took his place, and the list goes on.  It always ‘feels’ like new should be better but it never really is, and even if it flirts with better, it always gets worse.  It’s the Snyder cycle.

I have been a subscriber of the Snyder cycle since Shanahan. When Snyder got rid of Cerrato, I hoped that things would get better for obvious reasons. The alternative was pretty sad. Here we are. When the Shanahan thing blew up, I knew we were toast in terms of reaching any high levels of success.

To me, though, there is a LARGE gap between "high levels of success" and what we saw on the field the last three weeks. What Scott Turner has put together.  There is a LARGE gap between those two things. I also personally don't remember a time when a coach was given as much power over this team since Schottenheimer. Even with Gibbs, Snyder was enjoying buddying up and feeling like a big shot, being in the room making decisions with Cerrato and Gibbs. I think Schottenheimer kicked him out, and Shanahan wanted to but couldn't. I don't know if Ron wants to kick him out or not, or what has happened there, but I imagine Snyder has been somewhat involved. Still, this is the first time I have ever seen a coach get this much power in Washington since Schottenheimer, that is my feeling. The result has been atrocious, so a lot of my feelings are about getting Ron out because he's just so, so bad at this point (along with Turner in particular).

• Like 1