Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

Dan being a douche has been a turn off for a long time. That said, my enthusiasm in recent years has been more negatively impacted from the league in general than the performance of the Skins and Dan's continued shenanigans. The fundamentals just don't seem there anymore, the penalties are ticky-tack, the rules have become too geared toward offenses, and the broadcasts feature entirely too much overanalysis.  I still watch the Skins for three hours every week out of habit, but until the playoffs start, have little appetite to consume any of the other games.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

We could win the SuperBowl this year. Fans would be happy for the team but that wouldn’t change anyones opinion of Dan.

Dan is despicable person. If they ever did a live action version of Despicable Me; Gru would look like Dan.

If the team become a regular winner; the stadium will fill up with Commander fans. It will take a long time for a Commander fanbase to be as passionate as Redskins fans. I don’t think they would change their opinion of Dan. Their fandom would be in spite of Dan.  You have over 23 years of the man being scum and we find out how scummy each day.

Right now, Dan is living on the fans who remember the Allen- Pardee- Gibbs 1 years. He’s already lost a chunk of those fans, for various reasons. Once those fans are gone; he has nothing. He hasn’t developed a winning tradition to get a new fanbase.

A new stadium won’t solve his attendance problems; if the team is a regular mediocre to outright loser team.

Year 1 of new stadium would sell out opening day and probably the home games against our divisional rivals and maybe a big non division opponent.

After that, it would go back to being mostly other teams fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I def. think the hatred for Dan contributed to the name change and the difficulty in getting a new stadium.      I'm not sure how passionate the fans would be still be though.

30 years without an 11 win season, plus the Ravens moving to the area (and winning) would diminish the passion/following/attendance no matter if Dan was a douche or well liked.

Then how come you continuously push the narrative that somehow Snyder isn't to blame for the mess....🤔...that he created?

Just saying. 

HTTR!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Dan being a douche has been a turn off for a long time. That said, my enthusiasm in recent years has been more negatively impacted from the league in general than the performance of the Skins and Dan's continued shenanigans. The fundamentals just don't seem there anymore, the penalties are ticky-tack, the rules have become too geared toward offenses, and the broadcasts feature entirely too much overanalysis.  I still watch the Skins for three hours every week out of habit, but until the playoffs start, have little appetite to consume any of the other games.

This bears highlighting. Agreed 100%.

I'm really over Dan Snyder and have zero interest in supporting or watching the Commanders as long as he owns them. Ten years ago, however, I would still have watched other games and followed the league generally. Now, I have very little interest, for all the reasons you list.

That's not a commentary on the players or coaches, either. They're all amazing.

The NFL has tinkered too much with what was a very good thing, and it's also gone too far to cater to the corporate high-rollers. I still like to think of it as the "blue collar sport", but that's a distant memory, now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, skinsfan4128 said:

Then how come you continuously push the narrative that somehow Snyder isn't to blame for the mess....🤔...that he created?

Just saying. 

HTTR!

I don't think I ever said that and if I did, I was hacked :) .   At the end of the day, he owns the team, so he's responsible for the last 23 years.

18 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Right now, Dan is living on the fans who remember the Allen- Pardee- Gibbs 1 years. He’s already lost a chunk of those fans, for various reasons. Once those fans are gone; he has nothing. He hasn’t developed a winning tradition to get a new fanbase.

A new stadium won’t solve his attendance problems; if the team is a regular mediocre to outright loser team.

Year 1 of new stadium would sell out opening day and probably the home games against our divisional rivals and maybe a big non division opponent.

After that, it would go back to being mostly other teams fans.

That's what I think will become extremely interesting as time marches on. It's why I wondered if he was being intentional about the rebrand and the rumored location of the stadium near Quantico. Maybe he realizes that the traditional Redskins fans are leaving or (sadly) dying off. He may be in a situation where he needs to rely on marketing his team to a very specific demographic of young service men. There will always be a steady stream of people who are the perfect age to consume the NFL, drink beer, and root for a team that honors them. 

6 hours ago, profusion said:

This bears highlighting. Agreed 100%.

I'm really over Dan Snyder and have zero interest in supporting or watching the Commanders as long as he owns them. Ten years ago, however, I would still have watched other games and followed the league generally. Now, I have very little interest, for all the reasons you list.

That's not a commentary on the players or coaches, either. They're all amazing.

The NFL has tinkered too much with what was a very good thing, and it's also gone too far to cater to the corporate high-rollers. I still like to think of it as the "blue collar sport", but that's a distant memory, now.

I don't know...obviously I can't get inside your head, but I wonder if your lack of interest in the Skins contributes to that. Part of my interest in the league when I cared about the Skins was how the other players, teams, results, etc. would impact MY TEAM. When you don't care about a team anymore, that passion for the league is bound to die down some. 

My interest in the overall NFL has increased since 2020 as my passion for Washington has vanished. I'm able to consume and appreciate the incredible games and talent around the league without being bogged down in the Skins games for 3-4 hours each Sunday. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't know...obviously I can't get inside your head, but I wonder if your lack of interest in the Skins contributes to that. Part of my interest in the league when I cared about the Skins was how the other players, teams, results, etc. would impact MY TEAM. When you don't care about a team anymore, that passion for the league is bound to die down some. 

My interest in the overall NFL has increased since 2020 as my passion for Washington has vanished. I'm able to consume and appreciate the incredible games and talent around the league without being bogged down in the Skins games for 3-4 hours each Sunday. 

Yes, the ability of QBs to navigate through a sea of humanity (that is trying to protect them and crush them) to accurately throw the ball to receivers is still amazing.

But I just wonder if the freakish nature of today's athletes is playing a part of what I see in the diminished quality. Defense linemen being unable to contact QBs without drawing a penalty, same for cornerbacks against receivers, and also defensive personnel who exhibit poor fundamentals in attempting to bring down ball carriers.

You do have a point about the lack of passion about the Skins impacting desire to consume other games. It used to be I'd turn into a game involving a divisional opponent because them losing would benefit the Skins. I hated seeing the Eagles dominate the division in the early 2000s.  But then it got to a point where I realized that this hate really wasn't beneficial, and had to realize that all the whining on here about how the Skins were disrespected was merely complaining about the truth. We have sucked big time. Fortunately, even under Jay and continuing under Ron, we have probably gotten back to where we can be regarded as a mid-tier team record wise, and lets hope we can improve to develop into one of the league's better teams, if not yet elite.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That's entirely possible. I'm not sure which it is. It could even be that I'm just getting older and moving on. I can say, however, that the systemic problems with the NFL aren't helping.

Hate the owner.

Like the President.

GM is a weakness, not a strength.

HC is a giant in personnel relations and team building, with an unimaginative and antiquated coaching scheme.

OC is hiding behind the roster (we'll see this year).

DC is a Clown and should have been fired after the last game for negligence.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

On 7/21/2022 at 6:29 PM, hail2skins said:

My love for the NFL continues, it's the only sport where I can watch 2 random teams and still have interest.  The losing had cost me to lose some interest in the team but I was still watching every game and rooting hard at the start. But several years ago I realized it's never going to happen with Dan Snyder and I need to consider the Ravens.  I tried, but it didn't take. You just can't flush 45 years of fandom that easily.

But all that has come out in the past year has put me over the edge. I've gone from apathy to going into the season hoping they (more specifically Dan) get embarrassed.   If a certain DC gets his ass handed to him well that would be OK too. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

My love for the NFL continues, it's the only sport where I can watch 2 random teams and still have interest.  The losing had cost me to lose some interest in the team but I was still watching every game and rooting hard at the start. But several years ago I realized it's never going to happen with Dan Snyder and I need to consider the Ravens.  I tried, but it didn't take. You just can't flush 45 years of fandom that easily.

But all that has come out in the past year has put me over the edge. I've gone from apathy to going into the season hoping they (more specifically Dan) get embarrassed.   If a certain DC gets his ass handed to him well that would be OK too. 

Echoes a fair amount of my sentiments as well. I was a fan since 87 and a die hard since 91. At some point over the last 5 years that diehard fandom turned to apathy, and within the last 18 months it’s gone from apathy to active disdain. The thought of Dan winning anything of meaning at this point is stomach churning. My son is 7 and is all in on the Steelers so I think I’m going to try and root with him. It won’t be the same but if I’m honest with myself it really hasn’t felt the same for nearly a decade.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

.   If a certain DC gets his ass handed to him well that would be OK too. 

You want your DC to fail?? Interesting take. Gibbs is a very strong Christian conservative man, thank God he was allowed to coach our team before twitter existed. I would like to see Del Rio better utilize our talent and turn this defense into a true strength or get replaced.  Merit should be rewarded, and failure should not. It's time for the whole staff to get the hay in the barn.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Gibbs is a very strong Christian conservative man, thank God he was allowed to coach our team before twitter existed. 

darnel green fan's comment just barely makes it under the wire, your highlighted one above does not by both content and it extending the issue

no penalty this time---i'm being charitable not giving you a week off, any value to your point aside

next time just sit on your need to go off in those sociopolitical directions even when tied to a football comment...that's the kind of deal all these endless warnings and bans have been repeatedly saying not to do

to all--when you react to your sociopolitical buttons feeling pushed with a post in the forum you're going to get banned for a week way more often than not (unless it's a repeated foul, then it ill be longer)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jumbo said:

darnel green fan's comment just barely makes it under the wire, your highlighted one above does not by both content and it extending the issue

no penalty this time---i'm being charitable not giving you a week off, any value to your point aside

next time just sit on your need to go off in those sociopolitical directions even when tied to a football comment...that's the kind of deal all these endless warnings and bans have been repeatedly saying not to do

to all--when you react to your sociopolitical buttons feeling pushed with a post in the forum you're going to get banned for a week way more often than not (unless it's a repeated foul, then it ill be longer)

By simply stating that I wish a certain DC gets had ass handed to him I was barely under the wire?  Interesting. I've always respected the rules, and made posts warning others. But I didn't see that as barely under the wire, sorry for that.   

To continue not sure why it was hard for @bowhunterto see why I wanted this to happen, I was very clear that I am rooting for the entire team to fail as long as Snyder owns the team, I want him embarrassed.  With that said I am rooting for the rookies to play well, I am still holding out slim hope that Dan is removed and I can return. Such a strange place to be. 

On 7/23/2022 at 10:28 AM, Darrell Green Fan said:

I've gone from apathy to going into the season hoping they (more specifically Dan) get embarrassed.

This blows my mind.  

Wanting to see a team that you were a fan of lose in order to embarrass anybody is just so beyond my ability to comprehend.  

When hatred overtakes all other emotions for something like a sports team, it's probably time to move on to something else and just leave the old thing alone.  

I mean, at that point you're actively rooting against the coaches and players on the field, wanting them to lose.  That's just bananas to me for this reason.

I have wanted the team to lose specific games from time to time because the season was over, and by losing a game, they were winning in draft position and strength of schedule.  

But wanting them to lose just to embarrass the owner? 

If I ever got to a point with Snyder that I could not root for the team on the field, I'd just stop paying attention, stop posting here, and go do something else entirely.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This blows my mind.  

Wanting to see a team that you were a fan of lose in order to embarrass anybody is just so beyond my ability to comprehend.  

When hatred overtakes all other emotions for something like a sports team, it's probably time to move on to something else and just leave the old thing alone.  

I mean, at that point you're actively rooting against the coaches and players on the field, wanting them to lose.  That's just bananas to me for this reason.

I have wanted the team to lose specific games from time to time because the season was over, and by losing a game, they were winning in draft position and strength of schedule.  

But wanting them to lose just to embarrass the owner? 

If I ever got to a point with Snyder that I could not root for the team on the field, I'd just stop paying attention, stop posting here, and go do something else entirely.  

It makes zero sense to me. It’s like hating a restaurant cause the owner has done a bunch of sleazy things, yet you still go in and try an app every now and then to crap on the whole staff that wasn’t even there when 95% of the unwanted and inappropriate behavior occurred. 

It’s no wonder Ron sounds so defeated and annoyed when addressing this type of topic. 

53 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There are posters who feel that way, yet they continue to post in the stadium.  This site is owned by Dan Snyder. 

If Snyder drove me away from rooting for the team; I would no longer comment on the team.  I would say, I can no longer root for this team and will no longer comment on it.   I'd probably still post in the tailgate; which where I post most of the times anyway.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

There are posters who feel that way, yet they continue to post in the stadium.  This site is owned by Dan Snyder. 

If Snyder drove me away from rooting for the team; I would no longer comment on the team.  I would say, I can no longer root for this team and will no longer comment on it.   I'd probably still post in the tailgate; which where I post most of the times anyway.

There is no room in my life to follow closely something I hate.  

If I hate something, I stop doing it and do something I like.  

Obviously, to each their own.  

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This blows my mind.  

It's not the same team. Many former fans are actually happy that the name was changed because they no longer have any attachment to the team at all now.

Many of the posters here, who still claim to be fans, won't even say the name, lol. You are a Commanders fan, not all of us are or ever expect to be one. 

To me, I still stick around because it's like watching another episode of Wile E Coyote just to see how he blows himself up this time. It's like watching an accident happen, you can't look away once you realize what is actually going on. You might catch yourself rooting for Wile E once in a while but you know all along what the ending is going to be.

I've been here in this mode since about the time Gibbs quit and Zorn was hired.

Some of you are still waiting for that episode where he actually catches the roadrunner :rofl89:

I don't know why you'd ever expect such a thing though. I think it's been a thing long enough that all of us should get it by now.

To each their own, I guess. 

Edited by SkinsFTW
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There is no room in my life to follow closely something I hate.  

If I hate something, I stop doing it and do something I like.  

Obviously, to each their own.  

As you said to each their own.   

I followed the team closely for over 40 years. If you look at my post history you will find for the past several months or so my posts have been mostly limited to this thread. I am not commenting on the linebacker depth or anything to do with the team very often, I am following them through this thread specifically to discuss the owner and his possible removal.  I keep up with the team and hope the young players do well because there is a slim chance that he is removed. If that happens I will return immediately. 

But I won't apologize for feeling as I do now, I'm hardly alone.  As long as Dan Snyder and Tanya own the team I will root for them to lose.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I keep up with the team and hope the young players do well because there is a slim chance that he is removed. If that happens I will return immediately. 

But I won't apologize for feeling as I do now, I'm hardly alone.  As long as Dan Snyder and Tanya own the team I will root for them to lose.  

This is the part that I can't rationalize.  How can you hope the young players do well at the same time as hoping the team will lose?  Those two things seem incongruent.  

I can understand rooting for an ownership change. 

I just can't rationalize actively wanting the team to lose, and still following them, still rooting for young players, still keeping up with the team. It's kindof like rooting for something you know is going to be disappointing in the end.  

Shrug.  Whatever.  It's totally up to you, obviously, and there is no need to apologize for it. 

FWIW, I did pick up a "second" team, which I follow, though less closely than the Commanders.  My wife is a Saints fan, so I follow them as well.  That was kindof fun for 10 years with Payton, Brees and those guys.  If I ever just got completely fed up with Dan, I would just stop spending any time on following the Commanders altogether, and follow more closely the Saints.  It won't be the same.  But I guess at this point I've already had 10 years of the Saints...

36 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's funny.  It's not my personal biggest question, given I think I already know the answers to all the Dan questions, at least until the MJW report comes out.  So I don't really care that much where he is.

I care much more if Wentz can hit a check down.  :) 

Listened to Don Warren, scout for this team until recently.  Mostly he talks about the players and I'll talk about that on the training camp thread.

But he did talk about Ron.  Some of his points.

A.  Ron is the right man to turn the ship around.  Brings the right culture, players respond to him, etc.  He was really effusive about it, too.

B.  Ron has a lot on his plate -- saying a lot is cooking behind the scenes (implying stuff that isn't public but without referencing what it is) that he has to deal with, so he worries that he has too much on his plate. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1