Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

I'm done getting excited about anything with this team. Dan gone, direction of the team or throw paper towels to Puerto Ricans...I don't care. I am trying to take Jim Zorn's advice and stay medium, but I can't even muster that.

I am looking forward to the draft tomorrow night. I do have hopes for the upcoming season. But, after the past couple of decades, I just cannot get really excited about anything. If Dan is forced to sell or move the team, I will get excited. Until then, it's all talk to me.

I haven't bought a piece of Washington gear in more than ten years. Actually, I think it's 15. The last things I got were gifts. They were a Portis and a Haynesworth replica jerseys from my Mother in Law. I think it was Haynesworth's first year.

I will not purchase another thing until Dan is gone. I am not the only one. Many of my family feel the same way.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I'm done getting excited about anything with this team. Dan gone, direction of the team or throw paper towels to Puerto Ricans...I don't care. I am trying to take Jim Zorn's advice and stay medium, but I can't even muster that.

I am looking forward to the draft tomorrow night. I do have hopes for the upcoming season. But, after the past couple of decades, I just cannot get really excited about anything. If Dan is forced to sell or move the team, I will get excited. Until then, it's all talk to me.

I haven't bought a piece of Washington gear in more than ten years. Actually, I think it's 15. The last things I got were gifts. They were a Portis and a Haynesworth replica jerseys from my Mother in Law. I think it was Haynesworth's first year.

I will not purchase another thing until Dan is gone. I am not the only one. Many of my family feel the same way.

You will never purchase a DC football item again. Dan will be here for 100 years. 

6 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

You will never purchase a DC football item again. Dan will be here for 100 years. 

That's fine. I save money and his name goes down and is synonymous with losing money by owning a NFL franchise. It seems impossible, but he is doing it. Screw him and the taking advantage of customers that he rode in on.

As my step father used to say "It hurts you more than it hurts me." 'You' being Dan.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

It's been quite a while since the team has seen a dollar from me as well.  From the time Nike got the apparel deal to about 5 years ago, I would buy new stuff every season.  I have the slides, shoes, several hoodies, sweats, t-shirts, hats, you name it.  I've also always rep'd the team on my vehicle.  I bought a new truck in December and there's no sign of the 'Commanders' to be seen on it.

It's not some stand I'm taking, I just don't have the juice for the franchise like I once did.  The new name/logo did absolutely nothing to change that either.  Although if Dan was forced to sell, I'd probably buy a bunch of the corny looking Commanders stuff in celebration.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It's been quite a while since the team has seen a dollar from me as well.  From the time Nike got the apparel deal to about 5 years ago, I would buy new stuff every season.  I have the slides, shoes, several hoodies, sweats, t-shirts, hats, you name it.  I've also always rep'd the team on my vehicle.  I bought a new truck in December and there's no sign of the 'Commanders' to be seen on it.

It's not some stand I'm taking, I just don't have the juice for the franchise like I once did.  The new name/logo did absolutely nothing to change that either.  Although if Dan was forced to sell, I'd probably buy a bunch of the corny looking Commanders stuff in celebration.

This is where I am at. I do not buy merch and told family to stop. I do not go to home games. I will go to away games like I did in Atl. But I used to get to 3 to 5 gms a year in DC until about 8 yrs ago when I stopped. If danny is removed I would go back instantly. Yes, I know the next "could" be worse. But I will take my chances. dan is about as low a human you will find. **** him and his POS wife! 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

On 4/26/2022 at 8:53 AM, dawgjk9 said:

This is an easy one. Because if they do the investigate and clear dance....it opens the door for the stadium in VA with less pushback since they can say "we investigated him thoroughly and found no wrongdoing!"

And if they find something that requires charges or jail time, they lose their business partner for a VA stadium, and new owner may simply by not being Dan get a better chance at getting the stadium in DC as well.

People don't have to be smart to outsmart themselves, but deductive reasoning sounds more like AG jus doing their job.  That's also a big enough fish to make a name for himself as he builds his resume for higher office (don't think a lot of AGs don't think like that).

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

What the heck!  Remember when Rivera came to Washington, he wanted no drama within the organization.   i know he can't control what danny boy does, but this thing with the DL, letting Tim Settle go, cutting Ionnidis, and then now with the whole Payne situation.  What the hell is going on?  SMDH!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, ultravin said:

What the heck!  Remember when Rivera came to Washington, he wanted no drama within the organization.   i know he can't control what danny boy does, but this thing with the DL, letting Tim Settle go, cutting Ionnidis, and then now with the whole Payne situation.  What the hell is going on?  SMDH!

This is simply the product of a good (not great) head coach who has been given unwarranted power and that head coach hiring two GMs who never built a damn thing in this league.

Ron had the opportunity to do what the Giants did regarding their FO.  And I fully expect the Giants to institute their ground-up rebuild and pass us before we take any sort of big, sustained leap.  Sustained being the optimum word.  

Ron blew it, IMO.  He went with, well...what we've got now.  The minute he hired Mayhew, I knew this regime was done.  It'll take a borderline miracle for this collection of people to put together anything resembling the sustained success that Ron desperately covets.  That's not doom and gloom or some rant, it's just my honest assessment of what I've seen out of Ron to date.

A playoff appearance or two and maybe a playoff win could be in the cards before Ron calls it quits.  But that would be the zenith of his tenure here, IMO.  Unfortunately, for a lot of fans who've never glimpsed true success, this'll be enough.  I feel for those who are too young to have experienced the glory years, yet are still with this team.  They deserve championships.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Redwards said:

Ron had the opportunity to do what the Giants did regarding their FO.

Did he really though?  Was Schoen going to come here and do what Ron says or would he hold out for a situation like NY, where he gets to handpick the coach?  I think we know the answer to that.

It's pretty clear when a coach has the type of power that Ron has been given, they are going to hire someone they are comfortable with - not somebody to rock their boat.  This is the downside of being a dumpster fire franchise owned by Dan Snyder - the only way you can get a guy like Ron is to give him all the power, but once he has all the power - he's not going to relinquish it, because nobody does that.

This is not a defense of Mayhew and Hurney as I was rather vocal about my lack of excitement when these hires took place.  Just a realistic take on how things go down when a coach is handed the type of power Ron has.  At some point you just have to accept that this is the way it is and it's likely the absolute best we're ever going to get while Dan Snyder owns this team.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

We've been down the path of "get a respected head coach and hire a GM who manages the FO on his own". Twice. The first was Gibbs and Cerrato, the second was Shanahan and Bruce Allen. The first was embarrassing, the second was a disaster.

I have little confidence in Mayhew and a washed up Carolina GM, but if Ron controlling the GMs is the only thing keeping Snyder from appointing his own yes-men and picking players, then this is about the best we're going to get.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, NickyJ said:

We've been down the path of "get a respected head coach and hire a GM who manages the FO on his own". Twice. The first was Gibbs and Cerrato, the second was Shanahan and Bruce Allen. The first was embarrassing, the second was a disaster.

I have little confidence in Mayhew and a washed up Carolina GM, but if Ron controlling the GMs is the only thing keeping Snyder from appointing his own yes-men and picking players, then this is about the best we're going to get.

Fully agree.

And you don't get a more depressing scenario in sports.  Truly pathetic.  Thanks, Dan.

We all know Ron is destined to be fired. Only question is when. After 22? After 23? Some later date?

If we have a playoff season in 22; likely a losing season in 23 and bye bye Ron.

Then Dan takes control again. He hires a puppet for head coach and Dan plays Gm again.Probably drafts a qb in the 24 draft.

His puppet and qb are busts and by 27; the cycle begins again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

…..a coach can’t just flat out quit? (I know it hasn’t happened yet, just saying it IS an option) 

There have been coaches that quit. Bobby Petrino quit the Falcons during the season. 

If I was a parent, my kid would have never played for him in college based on that alone. 

20 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

There's only two ways for a HC to leave a team.

- Retire

- Fired.

No other options.

Thats literally not true, not sure how you couldnt count to 4.  The coach can quit.  Or he can also just leave at the end of his contract. Thats what almost happened with Gruden right before Danny decided to stupidly extend his contract.

On 4/29/2022 at 11:19 PM, 88Comrade2000 said:

We all know Ron is destined to be fired. Only question is when. After 22? After 23? Some later date?

If we have a playoff season in 22; likely a losing season in 23 and bye bye Ron.

Then Dan takes control again. He hires a puppet for head coach and Dan plays Gm again.Probably drafts a qb in the 24 draft.

His puppet and qb are busts and by 27; the cycle begins again.

I would give Ron 10 years. Pete hasn't been to the SB after the 2013 season. He is still there after 12 years. Pete had a franchise QB too. We don't. Can't keep on firing head coaches left and right and not let them build and try to get a franchise QB. So tired of getting a new coach every 4-5 years. 

• Thanks 2

On 4/28/2022 at 11:53 AM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Did he really though?  Was Schoen going to come here and do what Ron says or would he hold out for a situation like NY, where he gets to handpick the coach?  I think we know the answer to that.

It's pretty clear when a coach has the type of power that Ron has been given, they are going to hire someone they are comfortable with - not somebody to rock their boat.  This is the downside of being a dumpster fire franchise owned by Dan Snyder - the only way you can get a guy like Ron is to give him all the power, but once he has all the power - he's not going to relinquish it, because nobody does that.

This is not a defense of Mayhew and Hurney as I was rather vocal about my lack of excitement when these hires took place.  Just a realistic take on how things go down when a coach is handed the type of power Ron has.  At some point you just have to accept that this is the way it is and it's likely the absolute best we're ever going to get while Dan Snyder owns this team.  

Agree this is likely the best we can do. I am a big fan of the GM driven team, talked about it as you know to death on the old GM/Bruce thread.

But my level of confidence about Dan has gone from abysmal to that's he's beyond even abysmal -- he's a hopeless train wreck. 

I think a GM driven process is likely adulterated by Dan -- but my bigger concern is it creates a house divided and an ugly version of it with factions and misery.

Every now and then things keep getting leaked about the process before.  New one (from Keim) was the draft guys weren't going to pick Daron Payne but Bruce at the last minute said that's the guy we are taking. Was that Bruce or Dan making the call?  Either way, neither is a football guy.    Heard the story that i mentioned here that Kyle Smith was out on Derrius Guice because of character issues, but Dan loved Guice and overruled him.  I get the impression that Dan recruited Doug to back him on Guice's character.  We all know about Haskins and all the other stuff. 

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to deduce that the decision by "committee" or whomever has had the title of GM, VP or whatever -- never had full control and that building had faction after faction.

So a coach coming in and loading the building up with their people IMO is the only shot to keep Dan in his cage.  I think having people that Ron is pals with actually helps because Dan is less likely to co-opt them.  Dan has made it a sad art form to buddy up with whomever to get what he wants or at a minimum find someone in the building who will agree with him and then he goes to Kyle Smith or whomever and say "see", i am not alone on this. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3