Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

If true, I'd say some of this is about character, sure, but it's also someone who doesn't appear to have any means of dealing with setbacks financially.

In other words, he is franchise-rich and cash poor, relative to other owners in the league (like a Bezos) and is overly leveraged. People in this situations, especially if they think they're still entitled to live large, will cut corners on the most trivial things to save money because over time it does sort of ease some of the pain.  But not being particularly liquid, a team with millions committed to liabilities and expenses every year is not an enviable position.

If I were the league, I would seek a forced sale if only for that reason.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

He wouldn't be doing it for doing deals per se ... he doesn't need anything else that money can't buy (other than maybe politics, if he's interested).

Read this: https://www.washingtonian.com/2018/04/22/inside-jeff-bezos-dc-life/

Soon we’ll all know him. You may even bump into the man. Just as Bezos has busied himself pushing his Seattle company to new feats, the inventor of the “everything store” has been quietly moonlighting in a town that, friends say, he views as an everything city—a delta of diplomats and techies, military engineers and journalists, powerbrokers and problem solvers, a mélange perfectly suited to the tinkerer’s heterodox taste. Confidants report that Bezos spends more time in Washington than in any other city outside of Seattle—ten trips a year, give or take—and for good reason. Not content merely to own the local newspaper, the retail guru has become the owner of the largest home in DC. In 2016, he bought the former Textile Museum, a 27,000-square-foot mansion in Kalorama, and last year he began a massive renovation and expansion—the plans for which foretell the ambitiousness of the life he intends to have here. All of this prefigures the question of whether Amazon will bring its new headquarters—HQ2, in the parlance of the 20 municipalities vying to win it—to Washington, too.

Bezos is attracted — like a moth to light — to Washington.

“What he’s going to do is revive the legacy of Kay Graham and her great socializing—bringing smart, interesting people together in a social context,” says Jean Case, referring to the late Washington Post publisher. Case and her husband, Steve, the cofounder of AOL, have been friends with the Bezoses since the mid-’90s. Over breakfast in front of the fireplace at the Cases’ home earlier this year, Bezos described his plans. “That’s how they see this house that they’re renovating in Kalorama,” Case says. “They’ll really use it as a magnet of smart, interesting people from all walks.”

It makes sense that a billionaire with numerous interests before the federal government might resurrect Graham’s fabled salons—to some, an artifact of a time when politics was supposedly less blood sport. Yet Bezos also owns homes in Beverly Hills, West Texas, and New York. His infatuation with the nation’s capital provokes its own riddle even among those who know him. “It’s a bit of a mystery to me—whether he has political ambitions or thinks he needs to be on the right side of Washington, for Amazon,” one friend of the Bezos family admits. Yet “Bezos is attracted—like a moth to light—to Washington.”

That's fine, and good for him.  Speaking strictly for myself, I can't imagine being the first or second most richest man in the world and being attracted to DC.  Seriously, if I woke up with that amount of money tomorrow, I'd never come back.  Quite frankly, I can't stand the place.

And you're right, he doesn't need anything else that money can't buy.  I think people want to believe that he's the next owner of the team because in many ways he's the anti-Snyder.  And it's also fun to think about what one of the most richest men in the world would do with an an NFL team...and after 20+ years of Snyder bull****, it could be REALLY REALLY nice if he owned the team.  Plus, as you've mentioned, his attraction to the DC area.  All these things line up, so much so that I think people are just trying to manifest it into existence.  

Again, I hope he does wind up owner but Snyder getting bounced from the NFL and then Bezos winding up as owner...the former seems too good to be true, almost.  So does the latter.  

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

That's fine, and good for him.  Speaking strictly for myself, I can't imagine being the first or second most richest man in the world and being attracted to DC.  Seriously, if I woke up with that amount of money tomorrow, I'd never come back.  Quite frankly, I can't stand the place.

And you're right, he doesn't need anything else that money can't buy.  I think people want to believe that he's the next owner of the team because in many ways he's the anti-Snyder.  And it's also fun to think about what one of the most richest men in the world would do with an an NFL team...and after 20+ years of Snyder bull****, it could be REALLY REALLY nice if he owned the team.  Plus, as you've mentioned, his attraction to the DC area.  All these things line up, so much so that I think people are just trying to manifest it into existence.  

Again, I hope he does wind up owner but Snyder getting bounced from the NFL and then Bezos winding up as owner...the former seems too good to be true, almost.  So does the latter.  

Well don't forget that it was rumored about 2-3 years ago that Bezos was really interested in owning an NFL team. Apparently he's not interested in Denver, because he wants Washington. There's a ton of smoke there, I'm not just trying to make this up haha.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Can someone spark notes me up to speed here?

Or is it: Snyder probably isn't going anywhere but Bezos could be interested in buying the team. 

Snyder is most likely a thief.  Two quick things:

He took money away from gate revenue and attributed it to other events held at Fed Ex like a Navy/Notre Dame football game and a Kenny Chesney concert, thereby holding money back from the other owners.

Also, he made it impossible for season ticket holders to get "refundable" deposits back.

That's the Spark Notes.  We're now in "Bezos-owning-the-team" fantasy land.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, FLSkinz83 said:

2) If there's no evidence that Dan knew about this; then this is not a story, because I believe these people were fired.

Don't really know how it works for you, but here in France, Justice wouldn't care much if there's evidence of him asking for it or not.

Basically, the big boss is always accountable of what his employees are doing and are believed to know what the **** they are doing. Especially with stuff like cooking the books (because that kind of stuff usually benefits the boss and nobody else). So here, he would have to prove that it was done against his will.

Anyway, you have to think owners will send the ban hammer on him because otherwise that'll turn on every one of them.

• Like 3

Well don't forget that it was rumored about 2-3 years ago that Bezos was really interested in owning an NFL team. Apparently he's not interested in Denver, because he wants Washington. There's a ton of smoke there, I'm not just trying to make this up haha.

Again, I hope it's true.  In the fantasy of him being the owner, I think we all dream of a state of the art amazing new stadium, amazing facilities for the players and quickly making the franchise the absolute pinnacle of what an NFL franchise can and should be.  

All the while, of course, not doing what Dan did when it came to making football/personnel decisions.

• Like 2

Yep, I've read that before.  It's 4 years old, who knows if that's still accurate or not.  

Look man, I get it...you REALLY REALLY REALLY want Bezos to own the team.  I do, too.  I'm just also saying...it might not happen.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Snyder is most likely a thief.  Two quick things:

He took money away from gate revenue and attributed it to other events held at Fed Ex like a Navy/Notre Dame football game and a Kenny Chesney concert, thereby holding money back from the other owners.

Also, he made it impossible for season ticket holders to get "refundable" deposits back.

That's the Spark Notes.  We're now in "Bezos-owning-the-team" fantasy land.

so what is new, this has been going on for ages. Surprise, Rich people steal.

2001 article

Former Snyder Firm To Pay for 'Slamming' 

…..paid $3.1 million this week to Florida authorities to settle claims that they improperly switched customers' long-distance service.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/2001/04/27/former-snyder-firm-to-pay-for-slamming/f81a9ce8-cf8a-4cc2-9740-87e2253667c2/

Edited by ClaytoAli
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GoCommiesGo said:

Wouldn't the money hold back also effect the pool of funds available to the players? 

If that's true, wouldn't the players association have a legitimate claim to directly sue the team to recover possible losses?

Don't know about the legal part for the NFLPA, but Salary Cap is based on revenues, which includes attendance.

So basically, I would say that withholding revenues and attributing them to events that aren't NFL related is robbering the NFL and NFLPA in my understanding.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

So basically, I would say that withholding revenues and attributing them to events that aren't NFL related is robbering the NFL and NFLPA in my understanding.

That's my take away as well. I don't know if they could / would sue, but the idea of discovery has to be worrisome to the NFL as it could call in to question the rest of the teams hiding money. 

It's all a pipe dream, but you have to have hope. 

32 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

FAIR WARNING: I am double fisting everbody right now!!!

I think this might still be a felony is some Southern states! :ols:

love the spirit of your post in general but this phrase in particular may just be evidence of a generational gap! lol

• Haha 2

Welp, here comes Sally Jenkins again:

We see how Dan Snyder treats customers. Who would build him a stadium?

What governor, mayor, or legislator could stand on a dais with Washington Commanders owner Daniel Snyder for a stadium ribbon-cutting ceremony and assure constituents they will get fair returns and not be fleeced? Only the crookedest pol, at this point. There can be no stadium funds — no tax-free bonds, not so much as a discount on sewer lines — until Snyder has turned over every sticky page of his ledgers. What’s needed is a forensic accounting.

Cheating fellow NFL owners. Preying financially on unsuspecting fans. These are just two of the allegations contained in the letter from the House Committee on Oversight and Reform to the Federal Trade Commission requesting an investigation into “potentially unlawful business practices” under Snyder. The contents of the letter are at once stunning and unsurprising. Unsurprising, given that Snyder always seems to find new tar pits. Stunning, in the level of detail contained in the letter’s 20 pages and seriousness of the accusations: A top former employee alleges the flagship franchise of the nation’s capital kept two sets of books, played shell games with revenue, and pocketed refunds (and interest) owed to ticket buyers, all of which could amount to fraud if verified. And if it’s true, it should be verifiable.

Of course, there can be no new stadium deal under these circumstances. For that matter, not one cent of public money or favor should go to any NFL owner, until the league itself comes clean and stops acting as a protection racket for Snyder’s sordidness. According to the committee letter, the NFL has met its inquiry into pervasive workplace misconduct in Snyder’s building with “obstruction” and sought to “withhold key documents and information.”

In short, the NFL has demonstrated it doesn’t care about the women who work within it. If the league does nothing with these latest allegations, it shows it doesn’t care about even its paying customers.

So how can such an entity be trusted by any community? Local legislators should put a hold on every dime until the league has fully complied with the committee’s investigation. That $300 million the state of New York just approved for a new stadium for the Buffalo Bills? It ought to be frozen. The incentive packages local officials in Kansas and Missouri are putting together to woo owner Clark Hunt and the Kansas City Chiefs with a new stadium? They also need to be put on ice. Nobody gets anything until the NFL has cleaned — no, scrubbed — its Washington house and opened it for public inspection.

The allegations relayed in the letter to the FTC have a specificity that demands follow-up by someone with subpoena and charging powers, which is presumably why copies also were sent to the attorneys general of Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia. No doubt Snyder’s lawyers will say the testimony from longtime head of sales Jason Friedman is that of an embittered former employee, but Friedman didn’t just level vague accusations. He presented email communications from superiors, names, dates, amounts — and “contemporaneous documents,” according to the committee.

If, as alleged, the team wrongly retained up to $5 million in security-deposit refunds owed to approximately 2,000 customers, it should be easy enough for an investigator with a badge to find out. If Snyder’s executives were ordered to keep two sets of ledgers and hide game ticket revenue by booking it under events such as a Kenny Chesney concert, as alleged, it also should be a straightforward matter to discover. Put the bookkeepers under oath, and order them to produce all records.

It’s called an audit. And at a certain point, it might be well worth submitting every league owner to one. Because it’s an open question as to whether Snyder is an outlier in his various behaviors or whether they are common in the NFL. Where did he get his ideas?

Not that Snyder needs any advice on how to gouge. In 2001, his company was fined for “phone slamming,” illegally switching customers’ services without permission. In 2006, his organization foisted bags of old airline peanuts on fans. In 2009, it sued lifelong season ticket holders when they no longer could afford to pay exorbitant seat licenses. And it long perpetuated a sham waiting list for season tickets.

All of it was tolerated by his fellow NFL owners, and when his workplace unsurprisingly turned out to be an odious den of rampant serial gropers and graspers who operated with impunity, the NFL buried its internal report. If any of the bookkeeping allegations against Snyder are true, one of the things it means is that Commissioner Roger Goodell’s league office has been as utterly feckless — or deceiving — in its fiscal oversight of him as it was in its sexual harassment oversight. And that begs the fundamental question of whether anyone can trust anything that office does or says.

Taxpayers have forked over nearly $7 billion in public funds to the NFL in recent years, and that doesn’t count the huge free expenses in utilities, security and infrastructure that allow teams to operate on game days. By way of thanks, Goodell and the owners relentlessly privatize and black-box their dealings. They soak the public — and then treat that public and its congressional inquirers with literal contempt. The FTC should investigate the whole pack. It’s merely what the league has begged for, with its enabling of Snyder.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

6 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Taxpayers have forked over nearly $7 billion in public funds to the NFL in recent years, and that doesn’t count the huge free expenses in utilities, security and infrastructure that allow teams to operate on game days. By way of thanks, Goodell and the owners relentlessly privatize and black-box their dealings. They soak the public — and then treat that public and its congressional inquirers with literal contempt. The FTC should investigate the whole pack. It’s merely what the league has begged for, with its enabling of Snyder.

this paragraph to me is the key.  The best shot for Dan to go is for the league-fellow owners to pay some type of price for enabiling him. 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4