Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

12 hours ago, joeken24 said:

If this team was winning all this time, ask yourself if the narrative and even the stories would be the same. Its all bull**** IMO.

That IF is so big I'm not sure how you fit it into a post.

Maybe because perhaps, just maybe, all the things the WaPo writes about actually impact the ability to 'win all this time'.  I know, wild right?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That IF is so big I'm not sure how you fit it into a post.

Maybe because perhaps, just maybe, all the things the WaPo writes about actually impact the ability to 'win all this time'.  I know, wild right?

Right. It's such a ridiculous line of "reasoning." 

"Ask yourself if people would still be talking about how evil Hitler was if he hadn't presided over the most vile, murderous regime in modern history. Mic drop!"

More like "IQ drop." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I am sure Hurney is the safe pick for Riverboat Ron but he was not the best pick.

So now they are both tied together and if Hurney screws up then Rivera has no one to blame but himself.

Hope they can be successful.  I would have picked someone who was a rising star like Kyle Smith who being

younger would stay with the franchise for a long time as long as the Danny did not interfere.

Right down the road in Philadelphia they have another owner who thinks he is the General Manager and I am

confident they will pick the wrong Head Coach to replace Petersen.  They plan to interview 15 coaching candidates.

Interviewing 15 candidates is insane. After 5 or 6 it becomes tedious and very draining on the interviewers. Maybe they have a system that whittles things down but I couldn't imagine doing that many interviews and then adding second interviews into the mix.

• Like 1

Per JLC:

"Love the hire of Marty Hurney in Washington, which we have been telling you about for weeks. No one crushes the first round like he does, and the former Panthers GM already has a strong working relationship with coach Ron Rivera. He knows how to build a staff and build a consensus and is the most established evaluator that franchise has brought into the building in a generation … "

Edited by Andre The Giant

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The HC hiring the GM and building his front office is bizarre.  A GM should be hiring and organizing his own front office at the very least.

Which is why someone like Hurney makes more sense. I was also thinking about people wanting the "bold" hire. Why? Why do we need a bold hire? We don't need to blow this front office up--they've done a very good job in the draft and free agency since 2017 or so? Hiring someone in to oversee the administration and let people do their jobs fits exactly what we need. We'll see, but we really don't need to overhaul.

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Which is why someone like Hurney makes more sense. I was also thinking about people wanting the "bold" hire. Why? Why do we need a bold hire? We don't need to blow this front office up--they've done a very good job in the draft and free agency since 2017 or so? Hiring someone in to oversee the administration and let people do their jobs fits exactly what we need. We'll see, but we really don't need to overhaul.

He makes sense if we're not looking for a true GM.  Not one with the power of a real GM and the ability to hold and implement a vision for a build.  It's good for Rivera because it gives him a friend who can help him and reinforce him without taking away his total control over the organization, and it gives him a fall guy to fire if things go wrong and drafts are bad or we make bad decisions at QB or in free agency.  I am skeptical of this structure, it's built upside down.  But if they make it work and win, then it won't matter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Rap said the move was supposed to be announced later yesterday. Still hasn’t happened. Wonder why.

Hopefully because they’re having trouble getting the other guy they want without the GM title, and need to rearrange things compared to how it was originally reported. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He makes sense if we're not looking for a true GM.  Not one with the power of a real GM and the ability to hold and implement a vision for a build.  It's good for Rivera because it gives him a friend who can help him and reinforce him without taking away his total control over the organization, and it gives him a fall guy to fire if things go wrong and drafts are bad or we make bad decisions at QB or in free agency.  I am skeptical of this structure, it's built upside down.  But if they make it work and win, then it won't matter.

I am more open-minded of this structure because Snyder is not involved (at least not openly, and the local beats know when he is). We'll see how it goes, but it this stucture is not unique:

In January 2010, the Seahawks announced the hiring of Pete Carroll as head coach, and the Seahawks then hired Schneider one week later. Schneider works in collaboration with Carroll, who is also executive vice president of football operations, in overseeing the football side of the franchise. However, Carroll has the final say in football matters.

I know some are optimistic but going into this process with all the names involved, a Hurney/Mayhew combo was not only the obvious nepotism chalk pick but also my worst case scenario of all the names we were connected with. It doesn’t feel good to be able to see it coming from a mile away and then to watch it happen, just based on who knows who and not track record. 

There are ways to look at this in an optimistic light, yeah. But I’ve talked myself into every single janky FO structure we’ve ever employed when I had reason to look for a silver lining and this time, because I hoped Rivera was different, is the worst of all. 

And it could all work out fine!! I don’t want that to be misconstrued. We could keep letting the talent guys we like do their thing and have a fully operational FO all on the same page for the first time in forever, united  with common purpose with no divisions. I get that. I hope that happens. It’s on the table. I just do not like this entire hiring process and how it played out, with the obvious good ol’ boys getting the jobs it was assumed they’d be tapped for even after we actually interviewed top candidates (who would want the GM title and roster control like a normal organization). 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 4