Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

I think his role will really say a lot about the future of this FO.  If hes actually come in as a GM, I think its a sign that nepotism will be Rivera's undoing here, and continue the mediocracy hes had all his career.  If hes just being brought in for cap stuff and salary negotiations, and they bring in someone actually competent in the more traditional GM like role, then theres a real hope for the future.  I certainly understand the desire to hire people you know, but we saw nepotism ruin this franchise for a long time, and so far Rivera's has proven to be just as poor with the offense stacked of "his guys" being horrible.  This only reason this team wasnt 3-13 is because Del Rio's defense made amazing strides.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Not really excited about the Hurney hire if true.   Maybe we should have the team name be Panthers North.

And now that the season's over here's a fun Snyder stat for you.

All but 7 of the 32 NFL teams have been in a conference championship game since 1999, the year Snyder took over the Washington Football Team.  They are the Cowboys, Bengals, Browns, Lions, Texans, Dolphins and Washington.  These 7 teams are your perennial losers and we’re one of them.     🥳

We were Tampa North before.  Getting closer to DC! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

That's three solid starters, a big rotational piece in Settle, and three more decent depth/contributing pieces in Moreland (who I am less than thrilled with overall, but for a 7th rounder? He's a steal), Harmon, and Hudson. I'm going to assume that's better than most teams?

Roullier, Holcomb and Curl I'll give you (maybe less Holcomb because he is still potential but I'll give). The rest are rotational pieces who are potential but aren't doing anything that guarantees them a job here or on any other team. Sure its nice to have them on the roster, but look at Bravvion Roy (6th round pick this year), who started 9 games. Dennis Daley, a tackle who started 9 games as a rookie. Jermaine Carter Jr. who has been improving every year as a LB. Keep going back and you get Josh Norman. There are some finds there late in the draft. Not many blow your socks off, but thats the case with most late round draft selections.

Most teams (us included) are generally happy with late rounders simply making the roster THAT YEAR. Most of them are out of the league by the end of their first contract, if not before. 

• Like 1

Nit picking every single draft pick is exhausting and unnecessary. I think its safe to say we've been an above average drafting team the last ~4 years or so when Smith started running our drafts. Even the one big whiff we had(Haskins)was obviously a Snyder pick.

• Like 6

I noticed Russell dropped the "Things are brewing" line in that last Hurney tweet.  It strikes me as referring to Dan and the investigation.

And if so, hiring a GM right now is incredibly more complicated than just hiring the best talent evaluator you can find.

I still believe we've only heard about 30-40% of the Snyder story and that ultinately he will be removed.  Just take that into consideration when thinking about this hire.

From the Russell article posted above:

"Rivera inherited and promoted 35-year old Kyle Smith, which was well-deserved,  but Smith had no experience running a front office. 

Where this leaves Smith is unknown. It's very unlikely that he stays in Washington beyond the NFL Draft and it may be sooner than that. We will suggest keeping an eye on the San Francisco 49ers and/or the Los Angeles Rams to start. "

Finlay doesn't sound so sure that Smith stays.

I'll try to reserve judgement considering the last season, but I really have a hard time not being disappointed that we're tossing out someone who's been a part of some good drafts that past couple seasons.

Edited by NickyJ

3 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

From the Russell article posted above:

"Rivera inherited and promoted 35-year old Kyle Smith, which was well-deserved,  but Smith had no experience running a front office. 

Where this leaves Smith is unknown. It's very unlikely that he stays in Washington beyond the NFL Draft and it may be sooner than that. We will suggest keeping an eye on the San Francisco 49ers and/or the Los Angeles Rams to start. "

There is a flaw in the logic here. Why would Rivera promote him only to let him go a year later? Maybe he goes, I hope not, but it doesn't make a hole lot of sense, does it?

• Like 1

I love Rivera and what he's done so far.  But for us to "Get in line and trust" is something that is hard for this fanbase to do given our history of being beat down.  I no longer give in to blind trust and will question everything until you prove it.  Hiring this guy doesn't seem like the move that's in the best interest of the team and seems to set us back.  Maybe that's just old fashioned pessimism, but I don't think we can be blamed for feeling that way after decades of the same old same old.  I'm not up in arms till I hear more, but I'm not in the least bit impressed with this hire, especially if it ousts Smith.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

There is a flaw in the logic here. Why would Rivera promote him only to let him go a year later? Maybe he goes, I hope not, but it doesn't make a hole lot of sense, does it?

Yeah, I dunno man.  Im just gonna sit back and give this thing time to unfold before I rush to any judgements about it.  No sense in getting worked up about anything until we know who is getting hired, who is staying/leaving, amd what the new roles will be.

Bottom line- the front office is getting beefed up and Dan doesnt seem to be involved in the hiring process.  That tells me *a lot*.

• Like 1

Had no idea JKC gave him his NFL start

"A journalist by trade, he first began in football for the Washington Redskins' public relations department when owner Jack Kent Cooke asked him to join the team.[3] He then served in the front office of the San Diego Chargers as assistant general manager to Bobby Beathard."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

Do we have a count on the current size of our scouting department? And how they're assigned? How does that compare to Carolina's scouting department over the years? How does it compare to the league? One of the reasons I was a proponent of Bruce Allen was that we were supposedly doing better in this area, but I had nothing to base this on other than what other fans on here told me and what was reported at redskins.com. I saw (particularly in the years since Marty lefy) that we are doing a lot better in the draft (seriously compare 2014-2020 to 1999-2013) but is that all Scot M and Kyle S or is it the guys who are going to the games (assuming we have more of those guys). 

What I'm really wondering is how much will we miss Kyle if he does leave? How good are our scouts below him? I was excited about Doug W.'s promotion because of Kyle S was under him and I thought he was a good find. Do we have any other good finds who are likely good scouts who could get a promotion? Like, who discovered Kameron Curl, maybe they should be considered. 

SO I'm going to answer this question with a comment from hogshaven: 

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/1/18/22237846/what-would-the-hiring-of-marty-hurney-mean-for-the-wft-front-office#comments

gonna repost what I said

I think that the Hurney is not a bad choice actually. His main role is going to be to simply take some of what is on Ron's plate, off his plate. Kyle Smith is still going to be here, in charge of player personnel, managing the draft and free agents, and he will have his guys Eric Stokes (Director of Pro Personnel), and Tim Gribble (Director of College Personnel) along with Don Warren (Senior Pro Scout) all helping him do what he has always done. He has done really well, and I want to believe that Coach is not stupid, that he knows it. 

I don't know who is in charge of managing Salaries or the Cap, but I think they are here to stay too, I haven't heard of anything on that front. They , whoever they are, have put us in very good shape, salary cap wise, and I am sure that Coach knows that too. The Salary cap guys will work with Hurney more, and take that stuff off of Coaches plate, although I am sure he will still be involved. 

Malcolm Blacken and Evan Harrington (Senior and Assistant Directors of Player Development) are also still here and will do what they do too. Coach has a lot of people in his ear, and probably feels like he has 50 dogs on one leash. Hurney will be a guy that he trust's, more than anything, to help gather information and distribute it around. Coach will still be the guy in charge, he will still make the calls, but a GM's job is pretty busy, and we have guys that have done parts of it, that can keep doing their parts of it. I think that they want Kyle Smith around, I hope they do anyway, and he can learn about some of the duties that are greater than the duties he is already doing. Maybe Hurney can do something with somebody on the DMV stadium committee and get us back into DC. 

Anyways, my main point here is that Coach Ron has his hand on the pulse, is changing the culture, and has a lot of **** to deal with, and a GM he trusts is just as good as a QB that has the teams trust. (Hint: Give Heinicke a real shot, and stay away from a big name big dollar, lots of draft picks Trade). Hurney is that kind of guy, I hope, blast away

The Paragraphs helped?
thumb_upRec2replyReply
shareShare

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

or wandering Bingo halls. I can't believe this disaster of a team is actually turning the corner.

If/when we trade someone, what's his method of communication? Call? Text? Say nothing and let them find out on Twitter? Pretend they don't know them at a party?

• Like 1

I like that Ron is so willing and able to make these hires and delegate responsibilities, instead of trying to do everything. It shows confidence that he will be here a while IMO.

Veteran coach like JDR who was already getting paid and will most likely be here for a while. Dedicating to resign in house talent to remain competitive and guys wanting to be a part of it.

I wonder if Ron getting slowed down by cancer opened his eyes to what he can and can't focus on. That's a big dose of reality.

We're going to be a good competitive team that people want to play for, for a long time.

Bring on the Washington Wolves! We'll have homefield advantages again in the Wolf Den. Exciting time to be a fan of this team.

• Like 8