Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Having video of all this stuff helps nothing. Until there are actual legal consequences for the actions some of these officers, nothing changes. Clearly we are a long way from getting to that point.

Real change in this case has to come from the top down, not the bottom up. The rules need to change

For me that’s the scariest part, they are knowing they are on camera and still choosing to roll there bike over the heads of people.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

For me that’s the scariest part, they are knowing they are on camera and still choosing to roll there bike over the heads of people.

Nail on the head. Why should they care. No repercussions.

If no one ever burns their hand on a stove, do they ever learn to not touch it?

We expect these people to act on a higher standard (or at least just plain decent for crying out loud) but there is next to nothing to enforce that behavior. A simple Oath is not enough. You'd think human decency would be stronger

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Recall a political cartoon, way back after Rodney King.  

Pot bellied redneck-looking stereotype, with a wheat screw in his gig, smug, grin.  LAPD hat.  

T-shirt that reads "White men can't jump, but they can beat a black man unconscious in front of witnesses and get acquitted."  

• Sad 2

Portland denies permit for right-wing rally, cites COVID-19

Portland, Oregon, has denied a permit for a Saturday rally planned by the right-wing group Proud Boys.

The city found the group’s estimated crowd size of 10,000 people was too big under coronavirus safety measures, according to a statement released Wednesday by the Portland Parks & Recreation Bureau.

The bureau said it had consulted with Mayor Ted Wheeler, who is also the police commissioner, and decided that those attending would not be able to comply with social distancing rules because of the large numbers of people.

“We must all do our part to fight the spread of COVID-19 in our community and keep ourselves and each other safe. Events like this are not welcome and are not allowed,” Portland City Commissioner Amanda Fritz, who oversees the city's parks department, said in the statement.

The Proud Boys have been labeled a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. Members of the group have rallied in Portland several times in recent years and draw large numbers of people who show up to oppose their presence in the liberal city.

Click on the link for the full article

Just pointing out:  

"Protester hit by car" could mean "MAGAT terrorist drove from Podunk so he could use his car to try to commit mass murder."  

But it also could mean "Some schmuck got off work, wanted to drive home, found himself in a mob, and did what he had to do, to get away."

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Larry said:

Just pointing out:  

"Protester hit by car" could mean "MAGAT terrorist drove from Podunk so he could use his car to try to commit mass murder."  

But it also could mean "Some schmuck got off work, wanted to drive home, found himself in a mob, and did what he had to do, to get away."

I struggled with this internally for a minute myself. Of course something like this could be the case. Even worse the driver really could have felt in danger because of protesters bothering them. 

Ultimately I came to the decision that it doesnt matter. Easy way to fix this is for cops to stop killing people and facing no consequences. All folks are asking for is justice. When you dont get it to them, they are going to behave this way. Its known at this point. Stop the cause and you can stop the protests. Its easy math. 

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

Also, this headline seems sort of goofy

Vehicle plows through Breonna Taylor protesters in Hollywood, hitting at least one person”

if he plowed through the protestors you’d think he’d hit way more than 1

You know what thats about. Plow through gets you more clicks. Cause secretly both sides want it to happen

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

struggled with this internally for a minute myself. Of course something like this could be the case. Even worse the driver really could have felt in danger because of protesters bothering them. 

(first: I agree with the rest of your post just commenting on this)

yup. And it’s a truck. And i bet it was a white guy. Which means, given everything, there’s a natural inclination to wonder if it was an act of domestic terrorism (violence to push a political agenda - fits the definition)

the protestors can be orderly and respectful. They can also be a mob. And you can even see both versions at same protest. So without full video it’s impossible to know. We certainly can’t trust anyone to report it accurately to us. 

and of course we have both examples in recent memory. We have cars used for terrorism and we have protestors going after cars seemingly for reason other than it was an outlet for their anger. 

protestors need to stay the **** away from cars. I understand it’s not their obligation to stay away from a terrorist trying to kill them, that’s a silly standard. But otherwise stay the **** away. There is nothing positive to be gained by them being around a vehicle. 

• Like 2

I dunno. Disruption is what gets you on the TV. I would rather they be on the streets Its not a hard ask to move out of vehicles way in order to protect your own lives and the lives of others. If we are asking for justice, you can be smart enough to avoid obviously dangerous and uncontrollable situations. 

23 minutes ago, tshile said:

protestors need to stay the **** away from cars. I understand it’s not their obligation to stay away from a terrorist trying to kill them, that’s a silly standard. But otherwise stay the **** away. There is nothing positive to be gained by them being around a vehicle. 

Right. Its not a hard ask and you gain nothing from it. Im not asking for a grand stratagem. Protection of ones self and others like you is what these are supposed to be about anyway.  

• Like 1

I don’t know about that one. There are a lot of protesters on that street, and they all seem to be marching forward in an orderly fashion. If there were a large group of people beating on the car the people would be moving slower because it (the car and the mob)  would be a choke point.  

Certainly if I was on the jury that video would be enough for me to convict.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

But that's my point. You can have more of a "rally" in a parking lot. Engage & educate. 

There's nothing to be gained by disrupting traffic. 

I don’t think Selma would have become a rallying point for the civil rights movement if the protest was in a parking lot. 

protests are meant to disrupt. Standing around in a Walmart parking lot isn’t going to get the job done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

But that's my point. You can have more of a "rally" in a parking lot. Engage & educate. 

There's nothing to be gained by disrupting traffic. 

Catch-22, protests aren't meant to be convenient for the folks being protested against, but its the other folks caught in the crossfire that its really not fair to. 

Montgomery Bus Boycott almost collapsed that towns mass transt system, but it worked, NFL telling folks that want to kneel to stay in lockerroom was wrong on top of wrong.  

I would say stop blocking traffic because folks driving into protestors is becoming normal.  But those folks would find their way into a parking lot as well.  Police need to do better job of protecting right to protest, that will take time.

• Like 2

I used to argue that they shouldn’t block traffic. I get the “but the point is to disrupt” argument. I’ve resigned myself to accepting blocking traffic as an alternative to burning and looting. So, ok. 

My stance now is more about trying to save the lives of people, and how this will turn into widening the divide and at this point is counter productive. Every example of this is going to have some element of “this was done on purpose”

and watch the videos. Read the twitter thread. Vigilante justice is what a lot of people want. Whether intentional or accidental, a lot of people seem to think the appropriate response is to chase down the car and destroy it and/or beat the driver. 

At some point pragmatism needs to take over. Being around cars is, at this point, counter productive at best. This needs to be recognized. 

Kentucky lawmaker who proposed 'Breonna's law' to stop 'no-knock' warrants is arrested along with 24 others for rioting as Louisville is rocked by a second night of unrest and BLM mob occupies a church for sanctuary after curfew

A Kentucky Democrat who proposed the 'Breonna's law' legislation that would ban the use of no-knock warrants across the state was arrested while protesting in Louisville on Thursday night and charged with rioting. 

Attica Scott was arrested alongside daughter Ashanti and at least 24 others in the parking lot of the First Unitarian Church, where police and demonstrators got locked in a two-hour standoff after a 9pm curfew elapsed.

Scott and her daughter are facing charges of first-degree rioting as well as failure to disperse and unlawful assembly after police said the group of protesters smashed the windows of a nearby library and a flare was thrown into the building.

Click on the link for the full article

15 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Having video of all this stuff helps nothing. Until there are actual legal consequences for the actions some of these officers, nothing changes. Clearly we are a long way from getting to that point.

If you think change won't occur even with video of "all this stuff", imagine the impossible task of changing things without any video.

Footage of both the civil rights marches in the 60s and footage of the Vietnam war helped reshape the public's views and drove real change and action that's still felt to this day. Any change needed today wont occur anytime soon...it takes time. But it first takes an undeniable shift in the public's perceptions. I am at least seeing that. The hope is that 10 years from now we can look back to everything happening today and see how the changes needed were set in motion.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tshile said:

Also, this headline seems sort of goofy

Vehicle plows through Breonna Taylor protesters in Hollywood, hitting at least one person”

if he plowed through the protestors you’d think he’d hit way more than 1

Well they didn't say he was good at it......

One thing to keep in mind, people are protesting across the country the last few days, but there has been barely any coverage...except when something bad happened or there was a lot of tension.  People can protest without being disruptive for days and no one would know it.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4