Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

1 hour ago, visionary said:

One thing to keep in mind, people are protesting across the country the last few days, but there has been barely any coverage...except when something bad happened or there was a lot of tension.  People can protest without being disruptive for days and no one would know it.

yup. I was posting the evening of the grand jury decision. I posted that no one was even covering the protests. 

then two cops got shot. Then it got covered. 

every time the media starts to lecture us, or puff out their chest, about how important they are, just remember that ultimately they don’t give a crap and are only after ratings. 

they want to pretend they’re on the good side but they’re not. 

• Thanks 1

Also, she probably wasn’t arrested for “not wearing a mask”

she was probably arrested for refusing to leave the premises, after she was order to by people who control the premises, after she refused to wear a mask (and therefore refuse to follow the rules that allow you to be in the premises)

though I don’t expect an idiot like that to understand the distinction. Most people who wind up in that spot don’t. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

every time the media starts to lecture us, or puff out their chest, about how important they are, just remember that ultimately they don’t give a crap and are only after ratings. 

they want to pretend they’re on the good side but they’re not. 

I'm not sure that's fair....  I think it's more complicated than that, but it's not exactly wrong either.

Edited by visionary

Atlanta-based activist allegedly used BLM group to launder more than $200K for personal purchases, FBI says

An Atlanta-based activist is facing federal charges of money laundering and wire fraud in Ohio after he allegedly used money through his Black Lives Matter nonprofit for personal purchases.

An investigation by the FBI concluded that Sir Maejor Page, also known as Tyree Conyers-Page, 32, had created a Facebook page called Black Lives Matter of Greater Atlanta and had been soliciting money through the page through a GoFundMe account.

“In June 2020, BLMGA social media page received approximately $36,493.80 in donations, in July 2020, it received approximately $370,933.69 in donations, and in August 2020, an additional $59,914.69 in donations, all of this money was transferred from the social media donations to the bank account titled and operated in the name of ‘Black Lives Matter of Greater Atlanta, Inc’, owned and operated by Page,” a news release from FBI said.

The FBI also said Page responded to several messages through the Facebook account in June telling people that their “funds had been donated to be used to fight for George Floyd and that none of ‘the funds have been used for personal items. All movement related.’”

The FBI later determined that Page had used more than $200,000 to make personal purchases. An federal complaint said some of those items include a security system, tailored suits and accessories, as well as purchases in the thousands from Walmart and Home Depot.

The latest purchase was a home in Toldeo, Ohio and an adjacent lot that totaled about $112,000.

Click on the link for the full article

On 9/25/2020 at 3:45 PM, tshile said:

Also, she probably wasn’t arrested for “not wearing a mask”

she was probably arrested for refusing to leave the premises, after she was order to by people who control the premises, after she refused to wear a mask (and therefore refuse to follow the rules that allow you to be in the premises)

though I don’t expect an idiot like that to understand the distinction. Most people who wind up in that spot don’t. 

She also wasn't tased for "not wearing a mask" as the person recording the video stated.  She was tasted for resisting arrest most likely.

• Like 1

A Texas teacher was fired for wearing a Black Lives Matter face mask

A Texas teacher was fired for continuing to wear a Black Lives Matter face mask after school officials asked her to stop.

Lillian White, an art teacher at Great Hearts Western Hills, a public charter school in San Antonio, began wearing a face mask that read "Black Lives Matter" and "Silence is Violence" after the charter school reopened in the summer for in-person workdays amid the coronavirus pandemic. At the time, students were not on campus.

White said she wore the mask to demonstrate her support for Black students and faculty, but also to advocate for an anti-racism action plan and a more diverse curriculum.

Protests over racial injustice erupted across the United States this summer after several high-profile killings of Black people by police. The Black Lives Matter movement has been central to the protests.

After nearly two weeks of wearing the mask, White said she received a message from a school official asking her to stop.

"Hey. can you start bringing a different mask on campus? We don't discuss the current political climate on campus. Parents will start coming around more now," Heather Molder, the school's assistant headmaster, said in a text message to White, which the teacher shared with CNN.

Molder did not respond to multiple requests for comment from CNN.

Great Hearts Texas Superintendent Daniel Scoggin said in a statement to CNN that school policy forbids faculty from displaying messages on their face masks.

"Great Hearts enacted, in this unprecedented pandemic environment, a policy that face coverings have no external messages," Scoggin said.

The art teacher, who has worked in education for more than 10 years, continued to wear the mask despite receiving multiple requests from school officials to stop.

"I immediately knew it was time for me to make a decision, and I didn't think twice about it. This is a human rights issue and I did it for my students who experience racial injustice in school. I refused to back down," White said.

"If you're scared about what parents are going to say because a teacher is supporting equal rights, you need to reevaluate the kind of people you're catering to. By staying silent, Great Hearts is only supporting racist parents."

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, China said:

A Texas teacher was fired for wearing a Black Lives Matter face mask

A Texas teacher was fired for continuing to wear a Black Lives Matter face mask after school officials asked her to stop.

Here are some relevant excerpts from the Tinker v. Des Moines School District supreme court case that may have precedence:

1. In wearing armbands, the petitioners were quiet and passive.They were not disruptive and did not impinge upon the rights of others. In these circumstances, their conduct was within the protection of the Free Speech Clause of the First Amendment and the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth.
  2. First Amendment rights are available to teachers and students, subject to application in light of the special characteristics of the school environment.
  3. A prohibition against expression of opinion, without any evidence that the rule is necessary to avoid substantial interference with school discipline or the rights of others, is not permissible under the First and Fourteenth Amendments.

First Amendment rights, applied in light of the special characteristics of the school environment, are available to teachers and students. It can hardly be argued that either students or teachers shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate. This has been the unmistakable holding of this Court for almost 50 years.

It is also relevant that the school authorities did not purport to prohibit the wearing of all symbols of political or controversial significance. The record shows that students in some of the schools wore buttons relating to national political campaigns, and some even wore the Iron Cross, traditionally a symbol of Nazism.

• Thanks 2

I thought there was no Body cam footage of the Breonna Taylor shooting? They just released some on Instagram. And those officers who were supposed to be sent to the hospital were there and discussing evidence which is not what they were supposed to be doing. 

What’s going on here.