Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Splitting hairs but was he going for a knife or was there simply just a knife in his car (that they located afterwards)? Nothing I've read or seen has said he was going for a knife. 

Good point, I shouldn't have said "gone" for the knife. Nonetheless, he was not obeying police commands, that's the main issue. The fact that there was a knife in the car doesn't help.

And I agree, police need to be held to a high standard, I'm all for whatever type of monitoring needs to occur.

37 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

He wasn't reaching in the car to grab lollipops for the officers. 

Honestly my first thought was he might just be reaching for a mask

but it doesn’t matter what you’re reaching for. It’s a bad idea to reach for anything especially when you start off the situation by being defiant and aggressive/confrontational. 

Rule #1 is keep your hands where they can see them. Cause it goes to **** real quick once you stop doing that. Real quick. And that’s not a “racist cop” issue (though they obviously exist) it’s a training issue. That’s how they’re trained. So we should stop being surprised when they act the way they’re trained. 

it would also be nice if we could differentiate between things that are the result of poor or outdated training, and stuff that’s the result of bad (including but not limited to being racist) cops. 

the two are different and have different solutions and have different people who should be “punished”

(this specific one may not solely be about bad training. I don’t think we know enough yet to determine how much was training and how much was bad decision making by the officers)

Edited by tshile

48 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Nonetheless, he was not obeying police commands, that's the main issue.

Wrong. 

The main issue is the belief that "not obeying police commands" is justification for seven bullets in the back of an unarmed man surrounded by several police officers. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Larry said:

Wrong. 

The main issue is the belief that "not obeying police commands" is justification for seven bullets in the back of an unarmed man surrounded by several police officers. 

I agree. The police should have figured out a way to detain him without resorting to deadly force. 

I do think, however, Blake could have acted in a more appropriate manner. That's all I'm saying. Would you agree?

2 hours ago, tshile said:

Difficult to balance. 

people do pull guns on police. Police do get shot. 

not smart to fight with police, disobey orders, then reach into a car (or otherwise reach for something where they can’t see)

I’m not trying to say there isn’t a problem. But all of these aren’t the same. And in some of these cases the actions of the person the police shot make it not really hard to understand the outcome 

If you shot someone on your property for no other reason than he reached in his pocket... and it turned out he was reaching for business cards, you’d find yourself on trial for murder.  It’s no ok to err on the side of murder.  Reaching into a pocket isn’t proof of evil intent or intent to harm.  

Would insisting police wait until they’re certain of a threat make things more dangerous for police?  Yes, but who says their lives are the only ones that should factor into the equation?  It takes so much to bring the death penalty in our legal system, it takes a crawling man pulling his shorts up on the street.  Or a kid playing with a toy gun in a park.  Or a guy holding a BB gun in a store where they sell ****ing BB guns.  This isn’t balance.

• Like 3

Politics and sports have nearly always mixed ('80 & '84 Olympics, '68 Olympics, & '36 Olympics being most famous ).

It's not just now. 

Edit..of course the major difference is that black athletes largely dominate today's sports. Perhaps some people don't like the message now so politics and sports is now bad? 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah... In these amazingly crazy times, athletes (aka People) are not gonna stay silent and pretend nothing is going in, especially the ones who are non-white

I assumed that was a Trump impression  with the "sad!" tacked on at the end there.

• Like 1

I'm still uber super pissed off that NO ONE has been charged in Breonna Taylor's death. I don't know what else to say. I can't get over that. 

Police were in the wrong apartment complex, and the guy they were looking for was already in custody. 

Breonna deserves justice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

54 minutes ago, visionary said:

Defending people and property.. check.

Offering ems help... check.

Successfully defending himself from mutiple attacks and cleaning up the garbage rioting in our cities.. check. 

Doing these needed things when everyone else is scared to.. check. 

Sounds like a hero to me.

I don't know if he is a white supremacist but regardless his actions were commendable here. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Defending people and property.. check.

Offering ems help... check.

Successfully defending himself from mutiple attacks and cleaning up the garbage rioting in our cities.. check. 

Doing these needed things when everyone else is scared to.. check. 

Sounds like a hero to me.

I don't know if he is a white supremacist but regardless his actions were commendable here. 

Dude r u for real..... A 17 yr old walking around with an assault rifle, no ****ing training what so ever.....never mind.....You are a ****ed up person

• Like 2

No justification for 7 bullets even if he had a knife. Also why is he opening the driver side door and not the back door to check on his kids? 

"Mr. Blake admitted after the shooting to having a knife in his possession, investigators said.

Ben Crump, the attorney representing Mr. Blake’s family, has said Mr. Blake was helping to de-escalate the situation when officers initially used a stun gun on him. The attorney said Mr. Blake was walking away from police to check on his three young sons, who were in the car, when he was shot."

Again the mother ****ers mom drove him from Illinois to Wisconsin..... A 17 yr old kid and we commend that ****..... But a 10 or 13 yr old kid in Ohio with a toy gun gets blasted by cops bcos he was "brandishing" the bebe gun, but this kids walks by cops with an assault rifle bcos... Drum roll "he is white" and is deemed safe and one of the good ones.... 

Edited by killerbee99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1