Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

3 hours ago, tshile said:

They may not be allowed to strike

i believe that’s the way Virginia is. 

Protests have never really cared about what is or is not allowed, and a strike is a protest.  It would fit the disastrous theme of 2020 if this civil unrest over George Floyd's murder resulted in an entirely unexpected civil unrest, of a sort, in response.

I wonder how hard it is for republicans, that really enjoy the support of police unions, to not say the word "privatize" right now.  I mean it's the obvious path forward for those demanding police be disbanded isn't it?  At least as a bridge to get from one system to the next.  Anytime a government service is shuttered it's replaced by private companies.  Even space flight is private now.  Cities could replace their police forces in a month if you went that route, set up any new rules they prefer without negotiating, and dispense with the police unions (for a time). 

You know Republicans are all thinking it. 

Edited by Destino
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Paraphrasing a guy on the news the other night:  If you have 1,000 good cops and one bad cop, but the 1,000 don’t speak up about the 1 bad cop... you have a 1,001 bad cops.  

Well said

I've heard some speculate that the willingness of many to protest during the Covid Pandemic proves that the Coronavirus is no big deal. I think it demonstrates the exact opposite. If people are willing to put their lives on the line for this it shows you just how desperate the Black Lives Matter issue really is.

• Like 13

7 hours ago, visionary said:

This lunacy comes from the chairman of the Republican Party in the fourth largest county in Florida.

"if we loose this country you will loose your life."

From the people who brought you "Potatoe", ladies and gentlemen...

Edited by Califan007
  • Haha 9

8 hours ago, Destino said:

Holy crap, how did they find out about the burning and the dragging?  Did someone use a private email server again?

He specifically said “This is a fact.” so I have no reason to doubt him. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Destino said:

I mean it's the obvious path forward for those demanding police be disbanded isn't it? 

More likely than not, people will arrive at disbanding police departments and doing the equivalent of a corporate restructure.

Tear up the union contracts, fire a lot of people, hire new management, hire some new workers.

The efficacy of this will be determined by what policy changes actually happen: do we get better training and higher standards for hiring, community policing, bodycams, less immunity for bad behavior etc? The 8cantwait platform is a good start. 

Dismantling the current police system  and union structure is the right start. 

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its going to take years for massive police reform. Its what we need, but its not a quick or easy solution.

Agreed, but I do think you get a big jump start if you can start prosecuting police when they commit a crime as a cop instead of just firing them. Like we have seen popping up very recently. If it’s a crime for a citizen to brutally beat someone it should be the same punishment for a police officer. They feel free to act this way because there haven’t been consequences. 

• Like 1