Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 o line thread

bakedtater1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Who was better last year, Allen or Iaon?

Which of the 2 have a higher pass rush win rate?

Who leads the team in pass rush win rate?

Ioannidis was unequivocally our best pass rusher the year prior. In terms of all of those stats. He’s just a better pass rusher than Allen. But, Allen is also a good pass rusher and is a great run defender. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Anselmheifer said:

Ioannidis was unequivocally our best pass rusher the year prior. In terms of all of those stats. He’s just a better pass rusher than Allen. But, Allen is also a good pass rusher and is a great run defender. 

He had more sacks that year, coming in as a back up, playing less, but he has never been the best pass rusher.

I love Iaon and can't wait to see what the greek temple bear will do next year. He's the perfect complement.

The "lets trade a Dlineman" talk is just annoying. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He had more sacks that year, coming in as a back up, playing less, but he has never been the best pass rusher.

I love Iaon and can't wait to see what the greek temple bear will do next year. He's the perfect complement.

I’m not in favor of trading Dlineman just for the sake of trading them.  But if we get blown away, I’d listen.  The Colts traded a 1st for a Dlineman last year.  

If we don’t make a trade, whose playing time do you reduce?  Allen and Payne both had 800+ snaps.  Ioannidis had 81 and Settle 347.  If you want to get Ioannidis up to around 500 you have to find 400+ snaps from Payne, Allen, and Settle.  Do we really want to cut Payne and Allen’s playtime by 25%?

Having the four guys helps in case of injury like last year.  But we also have Brantley that can play inside.  

In 2019, Io had 827 snaps, Allen 722, Payne 758, and Settle 314.  While there’ll be variance of snaps available depending on various factors (3rd down %, offensive performance, etc), sure seems like we can find ample snaps for all our DTs.

Edit:  I don’t like the idea of trading Io right now because his value is at a low point.  If he has a good year, a trade with one year left on a cheap deal should net us more.  On the flip side, Allen’s value is quite high right now... though I don’t really want to trade him either because of how valuable he is to us (and I’m confident we won’t).  But it makes some sense from a business standpoint.  Of course, when you factor in the low cap (and all that comes with it), this is probably - generally speaking - a bad time to attempt a trade.

Io in 2019 (hope he can pick up where he left off!):

The former fifth-round draft pick out of Temple is coming off of the best season of his NFL career in which he played a career-high 837 defensive snaps. He put those snaps to good use, too.

• 64 total tackles
  • 11 tackles for loss
  • 16 QB hits
  • 8.5 sacks
  • 35 total pressures

Those 35 pressures ranked tied for 14th-most in the entire NFL, regardless of position. 

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Do we really want to cut Payne and Allen’s playtime by 25%?

Yes. More fresh snaps and more snaps on pass rushing downs for out best pass rushing interior DL. That's exactly what I want. That's a huge part of the point of having a ton of pass rushing DL. They come fresh and in waves. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Is the franchise Tag deadline at 4pm Tuesday 9th March?. If it is were cutting it close, I don't want Sherff playing under the Tag at 18m, LTD or gone for me. 

Agree about not applying the tag, we could land a good FA guard and re-sign Darby for that amount (or close to it).  Or another FA.  Or apply that money to WR/FS/LB to land a stud.  I do think there’s a benefit to waiting though - more guards added to the FA pool can only help our negotiations.  Bit of a tightrope walk though...

On 3/5/2021 at 9:09 AM, Koolblue13 said:

What's irritating is that some are so dismissive of trading DTs when we have 4 outstanding DTs and can't play them all as much as they deserve to play unless there are injuries.  And Allen is the ONLY one I hear being suggested as a trade option - which is because he's making a ton of money and will be a UFA after this season.  Nobody's saying to give him away, but considering all the holes we have elsewhere, it obviously makes sense to consider trading him if we get a good offer for him.  If we don't get a good offer, then keep him.         

5 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

What's irritating is that some are so dismissive of trading DTs when we have 4 outstanding DTs and can't play them all as much as they deserve to play unless there are injuries.  And Allen is the ONLY one I hear being suggested as a trade option - which is because he's making a ton of money and will be a UFA after this season.  Nobody's saying to give him away, but considering all the holes we have elsewhere, it obviously makes sense to consider trading him if we get a good offer for him.  If we don't get a good offer, then keep him.         

We're not going to get a good offer for him. We have 1 outstanding DT and that's Allen. Payne who is really good and young and improving. Iaon who is good as a passrusher and not great against the run, injury prone and getting older and Settle who as a back up is pretty good. 

Trade Allen and our top unit is mediocre, which takes away our only strength.

Payne is the only one who could be considered a good trade for us and that would be next year.

I really hope they can get a deal done with Schereff done before the July 15th deadline because this franchise tag stuff sucks and breeds animosity between the player and team.  The guy is probably the 2nd best player on offense behind McLaurin and should be locked up long term.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

I really hope they can get a deal done with Schereff done before the July 15th deadline because this franchise tag stuff sucks and breeds animosity between the player and team.  The guy is probably the 2nd best player on offense behind McLaurin and should be locked up long term.

There’s not much incentive for him to sign a long-term contract now.

He’s going to get it next year anyways. In a bidding war. Why limit yourself to negotiating with one team, unless they want to severely over pay?

Unless you want WFT to over-pay?

• Like 1

On the bright side, there's one less thing, and make that a a huge thing, that we no longer have to worry about this offseason.

Roullier and Scherff are locks at their positions in 2021.

We're probably going to draft a LT pretty high, perhaps the 1st Round.

Are they planning on trying to replace Moses or Schweitzer ?

Schweitzer actually surprised a lot of people, and played quite well last year.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

On the bright side, there's one less thing, and make that a a huge thing, that we no longer have to worry about this offseason.

Roullier and Scherff are locks at their positions in 2021.

We're probably going to draft a LT pretty high, perhaps the 1st Round.

Are they planning on trying to replace Moses or Schweitzer ?

Schweitzer actually surprised a lot of people, and played quite well last year.

I’d guess they’d like to try to upgrade both LT and LG, but I assume it would come via the draft or in-house competition (Charles and Christian as the most likely competitors, though we could always have a surprise candidate).

It almost feels as if he wants to hit FA but knew this year wasn’t the right year considering the cap issues around the league. New TV deal means tons more money next year means the cap will probably shoot up to about 210. Team did him a favor. Our FO will forever suck in having long-term vision.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

We're not going to get a good offer for him. We have 1 outstanding DT and that's Allen. Payne who is really good and young and improving. Iaon who is good as a passrusher and not great against the run, injury prone and getting older and Settle who as a back up is pretty good. 

Trade Allen and our top unit is mediocre, which takes away our only strength.

Payne is the only one who could be considered a good trade for us and that would be next year.

I disagree with most of what was said there.  Payne is at least as good as Allen.  He's our top run defender, and he showed in the playoffs what he can do as an up the middle pass rusher.  Ion's 27 - that's hardly old.  There's no reason to expect him to get another injury like last season's.  And he's perfectly fine against the run.  He was graded their top D-lineman in 2019.  Settle is too good to be kept on the bench - I think that's obvious.     

Edited by Ruzious
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Lol Isaiah Wilson traded for basically peanuts. I would have done that deal 

Hell no.  Stay away from lazy, entitled boneheads.  Makes sense for Miami to take a flyer on the guy.  He went to the same HS as Flores in NYC.  Maybe he can get through to him.  

12 hours ago, Tsailand said:

If you look at Super Bowl winning teams, one thing they tend to have in common is a Franchise Right Guard to protect their Franchise QB.

Yea, no doubt.  And they DEFINITELY Give 3 year 84 million to mid tier QB’s like Kirk Cousins mister rogers middle finger GIF

Edited by -JB-

On 11/24/2020 at 10:47 AM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’d switch Schweitzer to RG and pick up Norwell for LG once the Jags cut ties with him. He won’t be cheap, but I reckon it’ll be 20-25% less that Scherff.

How about we do this, then trade Scherff for another tagged player that can’t agree a LTD?