Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I want a stud MLB too but it seems like the league is drifting away from the big run stopping thumpers. Its all about hybrids who can also cover TEs and RBs and you can usually find those in the later rounds I think.

That style of LB is fading even out of college ball. Most of these guys are capable of doing a little of every thing.

Last draft I was pretty high on Kenneth Murray, who fits that mold. Parsons is another guy like that. 

I don’t think anyone can afford to say, “you can get them later, though.”

Thats literally true of every position and as well as you can find them later, you can also miss later, too, just like you can miss early.

Once you weight your board for overall grade, position need, position value and get it together, take the guy highest on your board and run. 

Don’t over think it unless it’s a trade for a haul scenario.

Given the talent difference between our offense and defense I cannot see picking a MLB over a WR or O-Lineman given players with equal ratings.  I would say of our first three picks next year, two should be on offense and one of those two should be our first round pick.   I'd be cool with either the second or third rounder being defense.   That said, I might draft a safety over a MLB.  I remember last year somebody posted an analysis that safety is one of the safest picks to use a first rounder on in that they are usually not busts.  Granted LB was also up there and I don't know how  that analysis would apply to the second round, but I see safety as a bigger weakness on this team than LB

I'd love to get WR Jaylen Waddle trade back into the first for TE Kyle Pitts. 

We would have certified playmakers in McLauren, Waddle and Pitts and Gibson. And we pray someone emerges between  Gandy Golden / Harmon . 

Sure up that offensive line, and go back to war relatively cheap. 

12 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

Who would be the best fit for our team?

Trey Lance, Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields?

I'd put Kyle Trask in that group too (not as among the top 3, but he's playing like a first rounder right now).

3 hours ago, SkinsFootball said:

Who would be the best fit for our team?

Trey Lance, Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields?

3 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I'd put Kyle Trask in that group too (not as among the top 3, but he's playing like a first rounder right now).

Man it depends on a lot. 

Lance is raw but has the legs to buy time to develop as a passer. He’s unbelievably talented as a runner but his passing component is going to need work. He’s got okay mechanics, a long wind up that he shortens most of the time but sometimes wind mills, strong arm... but he gets excited and gets too much air under it sometimes.

He played his one game of 2020 already and that stuff all stayed true. I think he’s Josh Allen comparatively speaking. Going to struggle throwing and rely on his legs on entry. 

Going to be curious if he stays and finishes the 2020 season in February or not. I would.

Fields is a good runner and a reads coverages well. He has a live arm, but it’s not quite a rocket from what I’ve seen. Smart, but sometimes makes some odd decisions. I think his 2020 film is going to either sky rocket him or... not. 

Lawrence does it all and is clearly the best prospect. There’s something about him I don’t like but I can’t figure it out. But it doesn’t stop me from saying he’s the best quarterback/prospect (though overall I think Sewell > everyone)

I think Lance is the guy with the biggest upside but will need to develop. Fields is probably another guy that is high upside. I don’t think Fields will have a high bust potential, but it’s lower than Lance and higher than Lawrence. Lawrence has the best skill set of any of them. 

Trevor Lawrence is in a class of his own in terms of talent.   He has obvious arm talent that only comes around once every 5 years or so.   That said, unless we have the number 1 pick we are not getting him.

Fields is pretty good, but not Trevor Lawrence good.  Fields could end up a dynamic QB or he could end up a bust.  I saw a handful of Ohio State games last year and Fields always looked good, but never wow'ed me.   I have never watched Lance play so I am not sure.   Trask doesn't have a big arm but is a good QB. 

I don’t like the secondary choices in this year’s QB crop that much. I don’t see any reason to trust Fields more than Haskins. I don’t trust Lance as a passer enough to take him too 10. If the team choosing at 1 doesn’t need a QB, I say we move up and take Lawrence, or stay put and take Parsons, Chase, Pitts, Sewell, Rondale Moore. A player with All pro potential. I honestly can’t take another 3 years of developing a QB and sucking. Give me Lawrence or give me a competent veteran QB and a great team around him. 

14 hours ago, soljaofjesus said:

I'd love to get WR Jaylen Waddle trade back into the first for TE Kyle Pitts. 

We would have certified playmakers in McLauren, Waddle and Pitts and Gibson. And we pray someone emerges between  Gandy Golden / Harmon . 

Sure up that offensive line, and go back to war relatively cheap. 

I’m ok with drafting a wr or TE in one of the first two rounds but the other pick needs to be spent on helping out the LB and secondary. We’re gonna end up wasting an elite front 4 because of how awful everything else is.

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don’t like the secondary choices in this year’s QB crop that much. I don’t see any reason to trust Fields more than Haskins. I don’t trust Lance as a passer enough to take him too 10. If the team choosing at 1 doesn’t need a QB, I say we move up and take Lawrence, or stay put and take Parsons, Chase, Pitts, Sewell, Rondale Moore. A player with All pro potential. I honestly can’t take another 3 years of developing a QB and sucking. Give me Lawrence or give me a competent veteran QB and a great team around him. 

I do not see River Boat drafting a quarterback while Cam is healthy and have a one year deal with the Patriots. Ron is first going to see what he has in Alex Smith. Ron knows Allen is not a franchise quarterback and at the end of the day Haskins is just not his guy whether Haskins received a fair shake or not, Haskins will be on the block next year. Ron is trying to win now without question with the benching of Haskins and if Ron drafts a quarterback I think that quarterback will sit for a year or maybe two before they see the field. 

This situation in who we take is going to be very fluid. Many factors:

1. Our record 
  2. where we pick
  3. How guys play the rest of the season 
  4. free agency

Personally speaking, I think where we pick is going to dictate most of this. Top 3? Probably draft one of the QBs or Sewell. 5th? Possibly still QB, but opens up other possibilities. 

Closer to 10? The Team will look for a QB in FA and look for a sleeper type or a Trask type. 

It’s just too early to say what we’re going to do at every position. What’s scary is we could win the division at 4-12 or 5-11 still. If that happens we pick 19 at the earliest. It’s not going to happen, I don’t think, but these are all mitigating factors.

8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I feel the same way.  I would rather get a player I really like at another position.   That is not to say Fields, Lance, or Trask will all bust.  One of them will likely emerge into a quality NFL starter, but your bust rate is like 2 out of 3.  Whereas with the other 5 guys you listed the bust rate would be like 1 out of 5 so 4 out of 5 of them will emerge as quality NFL starters eventually.

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

This situation in who we take is going to be very fluid. Many factors:

1. Our record 
  2. where we pick
  3. How guys play the rest of the season 
  4. free agency

Personally speaking, I think where we pick is going to dictate most of this. Top 3? Probably draft one of the QBs or Sewell. 5th? Possibly still QB, but opens up other possibilities. 

Closer to 10? The Team will look for a QB in FA and look for a sleeper type or a Trask type. 

It’s just too early to say what we’re going to do at every position. What’s scary is we could win the division at 4-12 or 5-11 still. If that happens we pick 19 at the earliest. It’s not going to happen, I don’t think, but these are all mitigating factors.

I am curious what some people think of Trask?  I mention him because he might be the dude that is at our pick.  I've watched him casually.  More of a drop back guy.  I haven't studied him really yet.  I prefer the mobile types everything being equal. 

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am curious what some people think of Trask?  I mention him because he might be the dude that is at our pick.  I've watched him casually.  More of a drop back guy.  I haven't studied him really yet.  I prefer the mobile types everything being equal. 

Trask is pretty intriguing.  He throws a really catchable ball.  Doesn't seem to have a strong arm, but he looks accurate.

Yup.  There are a ton of teams going to look for new QBs.  The teams who won't for sure are:

1). Dallas (Dak)

2). Philly (Wentz)

3). Lions (Stafford)

4). GB (Rodgers, Love)

5). Minny (Kirk)

6). Rams (Goff)

7). AZ (Murray)

8). Seattle (Wilson)

9). 49ers (although you never know with Kyle.  They might think Jimmy G is just a JAG)

10). Miami (Tua)

11). Bills (Allen)

12). NE (only if they resign Cam)

13). Bal (Lamar)

14). Cinci (Burrow)

15). Cle (Baker)

16). Ten (Tannehill)

17). Houston (Watson)

18). Chargers (Herbert(

19). KC (Mahomes)

There could be 13 teams looking for new QBs by my count:

20). Jets (move on from Darnold)

21). Giants (Ditto on Jones)

22). Jags (Ditto on Minschew)

23). TB (Brady retires)

24). NO (Decide Hill and Winston are not the guys and Brees retires)

25). LAV (Decide Carr isn't the guy)

26). ATL (Decide to rebuild and go for the next QB after Ryan)

27). Carolina (Decide that Teddy is just a guy)

28). Chicago (Decide that Foles is just a placeholder)

29). Steelers (Go for life after Big Ben)

30). Indy (Rivers retires and they need a new QB)

31). Denver (Decide Lock isn't the guy)

32). US

We could have major competition for QBs obviously.  A ton of teams could be QB shopping.

I like Trask.   He looks like a very good college QB.  He doesn't have obvious NFL arm talent or wheels, but he is a really good college QB.  i am not a good enough evaluator to predict how he will translate.  I have seen QB's like him become solid NFL QB's and others flop in the NFL.

I haven't watched him enough, but some things I find myself leaning towards in quarterbacks as of late:

1. Dual-Threat
  2. Seemingly well liked and a leader in college
  3. If a pocket QB and not dual threat - recognizes what defenses are doing, can adjust protections/check into a better opportunity
  4. Good or better arm strength
  5. Decent or better mechanics.

Really, those are four items. Dual Threat/Pocket with non-negotiable terms. Trask seems to check 2 to 2.5 of those things?

Lance seems to check 4 of them. As does Fields and Lawrence. I think this is the stuff that separates guys into tiers and nuance checks them into slots. But I haven't watched Trask enough to give a full opinion on him. I've seen less of him than Lance. 

I'm not that enamored of the QBs for 2021 after Lawrence.

One of the main reasons is also one of the reasons why I was against drafting Haskins...too little experience. Fields and Lance both obviously have talent (especially Lance from a pure talent perspective) but they both also only have one year of production. From my eye test, Fields looks a more pro-ready and Lance looks like as a passer he may take some time to adjust to the NFL game. But taking any QB who only has one year of production is a risk.

Trask is intriguing and I'll look to see how his season continues to shake out. That being said, while he's had some eye-popping numbers so far this season, when I watch him I don't really get a "holy ****, this guy is amazing" feeling. I feel like he's a pretty good QB in a good system with lots of talent around him. But that could just be my amateur eyes deceiving me. 

As far as getting Lawrence, we're not. We may end up with a top 5 pick but barring something crazy happening where a team has a franchise QB who has a season ending injury and they tank the rest of the season, Lawrence will be picked #1.

Even IF a team that didn't need a QB is picking #1 there would be a mad rush of multiple teams to try and trade up so he'll still go #1...probably to a team that gives up multiple 1st and 2nd round picks ala RG3 2012 trade. 

Archived