Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Where we finish will define our strategy.

I prefer taking OL in the draft, but there's also questions about what we do in FA. Once we know where we pick, the strategy can be developed. Until then, it's guessing. As of now, we're not in a great position for Lawrence or Sewell.

3 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

At some point, given everything that's already happened this year, we gotta think real hard about losing for Lawrence. Go all in and give whatever you need to to get Trevor Lawrence.

I've watched all the Giants games this season, they aren't good but they are better than we are IMO.  Should be an interesting match up.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Where we finish will define our strategy.

I prefer taking OL in the draft, but there's also questions about what we do in FA. Once we know where we pick, the strategy can be developed. Until then, it's guessing. As of now, we're not in a great position for Lawrence or Sewell.

I just wonder where the wins are coming from?  Looking at the schedule, maybe the NY Giants.  The Giants though have really been neck and neck in every game they've played, except for the SF one, including so far today and last week versus the Rams.   But its possible we beat them.  Maybe the Lions? Cincy?

If Fields lives to his hype he's going #2.  I love O line but I can't see a hyped QB going after a LT.   So if Sewell goes #3, that might be us. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I just wonder where the wins are coming from?  Looking at the schedule, maybe the NY Giants.  The Giants though have really been neck and neck in every game they've played, except for the SF one, including so far today and last week versus the Rams.   But its possible we beat them.  Maybe the Lions? Cincy?

If Fields lives to his hype he's going #2.  I love O line but I can't see a hyped QB going after a LT.   So if Sewell goes #3, that might be us. 

I don't project wins and losses. The league is really strange.

I don't see us winning more than 4 at this point. But probably not less than 2 (we'll see). 2 wins may be too many. But it may get us in position for Sewell or Fields.

I have a hard time commenting on Fields until we see him this year... so I'm kind of purposely not saying much about him as a potential pick. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We play a fairly easy schedule (not surprisingly given the division is really weak).   Our defense is a little bit above average.  That means there will have some good games and some not great games.   Of the remaining 11 games, I think the defense might have 5 or 6 good games, which means we will have 5 or 6 chances to win with just 17 or 20 points which is possible given the weak schedule.  I cannot see this team getting to 7-9 but I can definitely see this team getting to 4-12.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't project wins and losses. The league is really strange.

I don't see us winning more than 4 at this point. But probably not less than 2 (we'll see). 2 wins may be too many. But it may get us in position for Sewell or Fields.

I have a hard time commenting on Fields until we see him this year... so I'm kind of purposely not saying much about him as a potential pick. 

Me too as for Fields.  the thing that caught my interest the most on that count was a podcast with a Qb coach who worked with both Fields and Haskins and whiile he was complementary of Haskins, it was a clear as bell the dude that he wanted to gush about was Fields.  Said Lamar Jackson level runner, 4.4 or better, but with a good arm as opposed to Lamar. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Me too as for Fields.  the thing that caught my interest the most on that count was a podcast with a Qb coach who worked with both Fields and Haskins and whiile he was complementary of Haskins, it was a clear as bell the dude that he wanted to gush about was Fields.  Said Lamar Jackson level runner, 4.4 or better, but with a good arm as opposed to Lamar. 

I don't have any doubt Fields is a better prospect than Haskins. But this year will tell us a lot about him. I will always view Haskins as overdrafted (As a top 3 QB in any draft will almost ALWAYS be). Haskins probably should have had a third round grade. I think Fields is a first round grade. Where in the first is what I'm leaving to evaluation this year.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As a college QB, I would take Fields 10 out of 10 days over Haskins in the offense that Ohio St. uses.  But there is always a lot of guess work in projecting a college QB in a spread offense that relies on QB mobility.  Right now I would take Fields over Haskins, but that is because I have more information about Haskins in a NFL offense.  Fields might end up being part of the next generatioin of NFL QBs who are more mobile or he could be a bust.  Its hard to project.   

4 minutes ago, philibusters said:

We play a fairly easy schedule (not surprisingly given the division is really weak).   Our defense is a little bit above average.  That means there will have some good games and some not great games.   Of the remaining 11 games, I think the defense might have 5 or 6 good games, which means we will have 5 or 6 chances to win with just 17 or 20 points which is possible given the weak schedule.  I cannot see this team getting to 7-9 but I can definitely see this team getting to 4-12.

Cowboys are erratic but they can put up points.  So I got my doubts we can handle a shoot out with them.  Eagles have started to play better.  Giants have been more competitive in their games sans the SF one than we have.   I dont see us beating the Seahawks, Steelers or SF on the road.

Yeah anything is possible.  to me the best shot is NYG, Lions, and Cincy but it wouldn't surprise me if we are underdogs in everyone of those games.  Though agree anything is possible.  4-12 is typically good enough to put you in play for the #3 pick.   All depends obviously on the rest of the league.

I fully expect they will have a top 5 pick and , like previously mentioned, strategy will depend on free agency.  I think the starting QB is not on the team now so if they don’t pick up a veteran they will draft one with the first pick.

11 minutes ago, philibusters said:

As a college QB, I would take Fields 10 out of 10 days over Haskins in the offense that Ohio St. uses.  But there is always a lot of guess work in projecting a college QB in a spread offense that relies on QB mobility.  Right now I would take Fields over Haskins, but that is because I have more information about Haskins in a NFL offense.  Fields might end up being part of the next generatioin of NFL QBs who are more mobile or he could be a bust.  Its hard to project.   

In a vacuum, Fields may be a good QB in the NFL.  But if he's drafted by this organization, his chances of busting go up astronomically.  The only college QB we may have a chance of not ruining is Lawrence.

If I were Rivera, and we weren't in a position to draft Lawrence, I would look to the FA market for a QB.  Maybe hope the Cowboys screw up the Dak situation, or sign Cam Newton or Jameis Winston.  Then focus on building up the OL, defense and adding weapons via the draft and FA.

I reiterate:

-Offensive Line is priority 1. Whether the plan involves the draft or not remains to be seen. But the line has to be the biggest priority

-Sign Ertz at TE. We don't have the luxury of drafting Kyle Pitts in the first round. We need a tight end.

-If Justin Simmons gets out of Denver without a contract... go after him at FS. Maybe a Karl Joseph type at SS? SS is a little dry looking in FA. So, the draft may be a good source. I wouldn't go with a traditional SS, though. The league is going to a look where you need two FS types that can cover and tackle. 

-Denzel Perryman / Eric Wilson / Nicholas Morrow are linebackers to look at.

-Quarterback is going to be an issue. FA options aren't intriguing. I think we're going to force a QB pick in the first. Trey Lance may be that guy if we fall outside the top 3. Which likely means Kyle Allen starts to start off 2021... so the OL becomes more of a priority.

-Guard I think we're looking at the draft. Trey Smith / Wyatt Davis / Alijah Vera-Tucker / Jaxson Kirkland / Deonte Brown are options. Not a lot of great FA options there.

-Receiver there's a few good targets but will cost a ton and I'm not sure the team is going to want to spend huge at the position. Expensive options include Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkins. Keelan Cole is intriguing. JuJu will be a FA but I don't see Pittsburgh letting him go... but they have a ton of receiver so that could be in play, too. 

If the team can even somewhat execute this strategy the team is MUCH better next year. QB becomes the major limiting factor, but the rest of the team should be good enough to carry the team to a few wins. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Draft Guy: "Out of this group of blue chop players, who do you think your team needs the most?

WFT Fan: "Yes"

Nah man.

WFT fan: “None. We ruin everyone. All hope is lost. Fold the franchise”

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I

-Receiver there's a few good targets but will cost a ton and I'm not sure the team is going to want to spend huge at the position. Expensive options include Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkins. Keelan Cole is intriguing. JuJu will be a FA but I don't see Pittsburgh letting him go... but they have a ton of receiver so that could be in play, too. 

I bet they will spend big.  they were willing to do it on Cooper but got outbid. 

3 hours ago, philibusters said:

Big 10 is starting soon, I'll pay attention to him then.  Like I've said his QB coach raves about him and it wasn't hard to tell he liked him over Haskins. 

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

They're also projected $17m over the cap next year. They may not be able to.

If Claypool continues his breakout this year, JuJu is hitting the market. I don't know if I'd touch him though. Someone is going to overpay him and he hasn't done **** in a year plus. Robinson and Golladay are your guys

10 minutes ago, method man said:

If Claypool continues his breakout this year, JuJu is hitting the market. I don't know if I'd touch him though. Someone is going to overpay him and he hasn't done **** in a year plus. Robinson and Golladay are your guys

Godwin is a FA too. So there are options. I do like Schuster though--he has a Garcon vibe to me.

Archived