Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He looks like DK Metcalf in these highlights:

I watched a ton of receivers in the last three years.  I got excited watching Marshall and said so here and why.  But you and @KDawg somewhat hit back on it. 😧

I get that his hands aren't always hot yet he also can make some sick catches so I think his hands issue are concentration drops.  But that dude can really motor for someone his size and is a real deep threat.   PFF has him at an 82% contested catch rate which is sick and might be their best grade on that count among any of the receivers. Almost a 90 grade on passes over 20 yards, which is also a sick score.   23 TDs in the last two years. He needs to work on concentration drops (Bateman actually had a higher drop rate than Marshall as i mentioned before) and run blocking.   He's only 20 years old. 

Counter intuitive maybe for a big dude like him but to me he's more of a big play receiver than a posession guy.  To my eyes he looks fast but I'd want to see that backed up on his pro day. 

He's raw to an extent but for someone his size who can run like him and high point the ball like he could -- I think with some coaching he could be a find.   I'd have no issue taking him in the 2nd.

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think he has value, actually. I don’t have him highly ranked but he is a value target in the mid rounds if he makes it there.

Too much of a speciman IMO to fall to the mid rounds.  But I do think the mock draft types that have him in the late first end up wrong.  I think he ends up late 2nd (around our pick)-early 3rd.  Will see.

He needs polish.  But him being 20 and having that type of big play ability -- size/speed/catch radius -- i think he's a good roll of the dice.  Having said that i got a lot of receivers i like in that potential range of the draft so I am not really married to any of them.  For example, I'd go for Elijah Moore over Marshall.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

21 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Am I right that Hallam means 4th WR taken when he says WR4? In which case SIP might get him in the 2nd but not later if he's right. Sorry KDawg.....

No need to say sorry. I wouldn’t take him as WR4 on this planet. Too much polish needed.

But he certainly has talent. 

11 minutes ago, Long Time Fan said:

Wow.  Five quarterbacks and three wide receivers in the top 10 with Penei Sewell falling to number 11 (or later).  That may be the craziest mock I've seen yet.  

If Penei falls that far I am at the very least making a call to see if I can swindle... I mean... trade with another team to get him. At that point I’d take him over any of the QBs not names as Fields.

also: not happening.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If next season is similar to the last one, three games is plenty to sink us.  We didn't run away with the division.  

That would be incredibly unlucky for Philadelphia. Waddle is WR3 but there's quite a large gap after Ja'Marr Chase and Davonta Smith. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

DJ's new top 50, just out, good summary IMO of Marshall

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2021-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-2-0

Rank

Terrace Marshall Jr.

LSU · WR · Junior

Marshall is a tall, long and athletic wideout. He's played in the slot and outside. He is at his best as a vertical target on seams, corners and post routes. The former Tiger has a smooth, easy stride and he builds speed down the field. He isn't a crisp route runner, but he does know how to use his body to shield off defenders. He had some drops on the tape I watched, but he makes up for them with big plays. He's very physical and competitive after the catch. He breaks a lot of tackles. Marshall hasn't put it all together yet, but all of the tools are there for him to be a solid No. 2 receiver in the NFL.

The more I see and read about Trey Lance the less I like the idea of any sort of trade up. He just seems so risky and based so much on a projection. He’s played so little football, and the games he did play he didn’t pass all that much. The tools are phenomenal, and he seems like he’s a really hard worker, and he’s so young. But it just scares the hell out of me. One first rounder at 19? Sure, take a shot. But multiple picks to trade up into the top 10, when he really needs to sit initially, I’m just not on board.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

The more I see and read about Trey Lance the less I like the idea of any sort of trade up. He just seems so risky and based so much on a projection. He’s played so little football, and the games he did play he didn’t pass all that much. The tools are phenomenal, and he seems like he’s a really hard worker, and he’s so young. But it just scares the hell out of me. One first rounder at 19? Sure, take a shot. But multiple picks to trade up into the top 10, when he really needs to sit initially, I’m just not on board.

Sort of agree. If you are going to trade up you have to be really confident in what you'll get. That said, your sentiment could very well be what drives Lance down in the draft. So far we haven't really heard much buzz on what teams are thinking, and most of the hype tends to be from the Jeremiah's and Matt Miller's of the world. It wouldn't shock me if Lance is someone that ends up sliding. That long-term view on QBs could play into it as well. Teams are much more focused on the short-term, and might feel a veteran is preferable and go back to address QB in future drafts and not worry about bringing Lance along.

That might mean Lance slides to us at #19. Or if we somehow opted to pass on Lance, he could fall to a team like NO or Pittsburgh who might have the patience.

BUT, it's just really hard for me to see that slide lasting too long. Someone, whether it's the 49ers or Patriots, would probably take a shot. I'd be pretty disappointed if we passed on him at #19 if we don't have another legitimate QB on the roster by then, simply because i have a hard time seeing us having a better "upside" shot on anyone long-term.

• Like 1

I would be okay trading up for Trey Lance. Physically, he reminds me a lot of Tannehill, that's who he reminds me the most of when he's not throwing. The problem is, I went back and looked at Tannehill throws back in college... yeah, he was miles better in this department. Lance absolutely needs a year or two learning, it is what it is. The NFL has changed a lot in the last 9 years, if I remember correctly, Tannehill was kind of considered a reach at pick 8 in the 2012 draft, but now? He's probably easily a top 5 pick. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

7 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Just pulled up 5 mock drafts in Google order and 4 of 5 had us taking Mac Jones. I keep seeing this trend.....should be an interesting draft. I would rather trade back and get more prospects.

I've noticed that as well. I honestly don't know that he makes it past the Pats' selection. That's a team that appears even more desperate than Washington at QB. Personally, I'm not against Mac, but if we HAD to take him, I'd prefer to get him after trading back. 

1 hour ago, seantaylor=god said:

I wouldn't trade a future 1st but I'd be fine trading like a 2nd and 4th or something along those lines. I don't like the idea of trading future 1sts because you just never know how good or bad you might be. I mean nobody thought the Cowboys or 9ers would be picking in the top 15 this year.

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

God this is a deep receiver class. I can’t remember a deeper one.

This is why I'm not in favor of a receiver at 19, unless Smith, Chase, Pitts, or Waddle are there (unlikely).  I'm not even sure I'd take Waddle if he is there, if a top OT or LB is there.  The next tier of receivers is just too large a group of guys that are rated really close to each other, IMO.  At least one of them will be there for us in the 2nd.

The 2021 NFL Draft is not especially strong for defensive front seven talent, but Penn State's Micah Parson is one of the prospects with a first-round skill set for any draft class. The 6-foot-3, 245-pounder has excellent size alongside speed and athleticism. Parsons sat out the 2020 pandemic season after serving as a 2-year starter since being a top recruit coming out of high school. While Parsons was projected to be the top linebacker for the 2021 NFL Draft, he carries significant character concerns that could cause him to suffer a significant first-round slide, according to multiple teams, and some teams may remove him from their boards because of the character issue.

Part of the character content is public knowledge. A former teammate of Parsons has sued Penn State for hazing, and Parsons was prominently and repeatedly named in that lawsuit for administering physical, verbal and emotional abuse on his teammate. Aside from that issue, team sources say they have concerns about other parts of Parsons' makeup, football character, and off-the-field conduct.

On the field, multiple team sources say Parsons is not as good of a player as other recent top-10 linebackers like Tampa Bay's Devin White or Chicago's Roquan Smith. Here's what one director of college scouting said about Parsons, "He's very overrated to me. He doesn't play downhill, is not physical taking on [blocks], is a clean-air guy, and his instincts don't jump out. He is a freak athlete that can rush the passer. Someone will probably take him early, but I would scratch him from top-10 consideration."

Another aspect of the pandemic year is more difficulty for prospects with character concerns helping to alleviate those concerns before the 2021 NFL Draft. The combine and pre-draft visits were canceled by the league, so limited video conferencing is the only outlet Parsons has to try to dispel the character concerns directly. Parsons has a great skill set, but his character issues could cause him to slide in the 2021 NFL Draft.

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Character-Concerns-Hurting-Parsons

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Jamin Davis ascending pre draft. 

LB and DB seem priorities to me across day 1 and 2. Let’s continue to build a young nasty D.

Yeah I posted about him some yesterday, haven't really studied him.  Looks like DJ really digs him.  His PFF numbers are really good.  He has the hight to bulk up more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UK Skins said:

I love reading these debates, thanks all of you 👍

Totally agree , this is my favorite thread no matter the time of year... the debates on players and all the knowledge of how the regular posters here view players is awesome. I’m way more informed on how different players function in the same positions on the field based on how their given skill sets fit within a teams system. 

When the rest of ES goes off on the crazy train I can always come here for some good old football talk 👍👍👍

much appreciated gents 🍻

• Like 5