Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

SteveMcqueen,

I completely agree with you that we need to go for a safe pick in the 1st.  Najee is safe for sure, and I think he'll be there at 19 IF (as I think is a possibility) Miami takes Sewell at 3 and trades up from 18 to get Pitts/Chase/Smith/Waddle (especially with the rumors that they are in on Aaron Jones in FA).  Any of the o-line (especially AVT at guard like you posted) will be safe.  WR is less of a bet and I'd try and trade down a bit to take whomever was left.

Looking at the teams behind us and their needs:

20). Bears (QB, O-line, WR (especially if they don't resign Robinson)

21). Indy (LT, WR (if they don't resign TY), edge rusher)

22). Tenn (WR (if they don't resign Davis), anywhere on defense)

23). NYJ (interior o-line, WR, anywhere on defense)

24). Pitt (QB, O-line, CB)

25). Jags (LT (especially if they don't resign Robinson), anywhere on defense (especially DT))

26). Cle (edge opposite Garrett, DT)

27). Bal (edge, WR (must be big (Bateman could be in play here (even Marshall))

28). NO (WR, CB, edge)

29). GB (WR, LB, DT, CB)

30). Buf (DT, edge)

31). KC (o-line, anywhere on defense)

32). TB (edge, DT)

I could see the Jags trading up if they LOVE a tackle and are afraid Indy and the Bears will take whomever is left (they need to protect Lawrence).  I could see the Jags offering the brinks truck to Trent honestly.  Would Trent take the money?

We might have some trade down options IF we think we can get by with Lucas/Christian/Charles at LT and want to pick up picks and take a WR, RB, or lower rated tackle.

• Like 1

I've watched Harris in so many cut ups now from trying to catch up on all of these SEC defenders, and in every single one of them, he and DeVonta Smith are obviously head and shoulders better than the other guys on the field.  They were men among boys this season.  If we're being truly honest with ourselves, Harris is the clear cut BPA at 19 in every reasonable scenario.  We're not going to get a bigger talent than him at that spot.

If we're going to play this thing safe, let's get Harris at 19 and Eichenberg at 51 and then see what's still staring us in the face at WR/LB/DB at 74 and 82.  We could legitimately come away with a four player class just off those first two days of picks if we are prudent and stick to BPA.

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I've watched Harris in so many cut ups now from trying to catch up on all of these SEC defenders, and in every single one of them, he and DeVonta Smith are obviously head and shoulders better than the other guys on the field.  They were men among boys this season.  If we're being truly honest with ourselves, Harris is the clear cut BPA at 19 in every reasonable scenario.  We're not going to get a bigger talent than him at that spot.

If we're going to play this thing safe, let's get Harris at 19 and Eichenberg at 51 and then see what's still staring us in the face at WR/LB/DB at 74 and 82.  We could legitimately come away with a four player class just off those first two days of picks if we are prudent and stick to BPA.

Yeah, Miami is probably the only threat above us who would take Najee (although watch for the Chargers).  I'm hoping the Aaron Jones rumors are true so that knocks them out of the running.  The Chargers (if they don't take o-line) could certainly take Najee.  Ekelar is more of a pass catcher.  

28 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

What do you think we'll do with Gibson if we draft Harris? Make him like JD and line him up all over the place? 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

54 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Watching Najee Harris's interview on Pat McAffee show, he just has that look and feel of a star. I am now no longer opposed to drafting him at 19. Harris/Gibson could be Rivera's next version of Deangleo Williams/Jonathan Stewart.

Hot take alert: If Adrian Peterson was less of a freak coming out of college and was better in the passing game, Najee Harris is what you'd get. Their running style is very similar. 

Last year I thought Joe Mixon and Antonio Gibson had comparable running styles coming out. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

My fear with Harris is that Miami supposedly loves him and they are picking right before us.  But if rumors are true that they are hot on Aaron Jones and get that done then I'd presume they are out on Harris. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah, Miami is probably the only threat above us who would take Najee (although watch for the Chargers).  I'm hoping the Aaron Jones rumors are true so that knocks them out of the running.  The Chargers (if they don't take o-line) could certainly take Najee.  Ekelar is more of a pass catcher.  

I I wouldn't rule out SF. Kyle loves his RB.

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I I wouldn't rule out SF. Kyle loves his RB.

Nah, Shanny isn't wasting a top pick on a RB.  Their system thrives on lower valued RBs.  They are picking the highest rated CB amongst Farley, Surtain, or Horn.  Their entire secondary is on FA.  I could also see LT if Trent leaves in FA.

47 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

What do you think we'll do with Gibson if we draft Harris? Make him like JD and line him up all over the place? 

Probably for the best to keep Gibson in a committee role.  He's never been a workhorse back before.  Yeah, I'd pretty much give him McKissick's snaps if we had Harris.  Two back sets with a running QB could be really potent designs too, although I think I'd be cautious calling a lot of that if Kyle or Taylor are the QB given their injury histories.

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Probably for the best to keep Gibson in a committee role.  He's never been a workhorse back before.  Yeah, I'd pretty much give him McKissick's snaps if we had Harris.  Two back sets with a running QB could be really potent designs too, although I think I'd be cautious calling a lot of that if Kyle or Taylor are the QB given their injury histories.

I definitely wouldn't hate it. I'd love it a lot more if I didn't like Gibson's potential so much. Cleveland did some serious damage to a lot of teams with their two headed monster RB duo, granted, they probably have a top 3 OL. 

55 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I definitely wouldn't hate it. I'd love it a lot more if I didn't like Gibson's potential so much. Cleveland did some serious damage to a lot of teams with their two headed monster RB duo, granted, they probably have a top 3 OL. 

Yeah, I like the idea of beefing up the run game, with a T or G, and Najee, and upgrading the OL (including depth) helps everyone.  Usually (especially given our other areas of need), I’d steer away from taking a back early, but a stud like Najee is a different story.  I love Gibson as our back and I know others do as well, so it can seem like a luxury, but an elite backfield that can withstand injury and offers substitution as well as more schematic options (2 back sets in both the run and pass game, for example) is big.  Compensate with a receiver, corner and backer in FA and then you have the option to hit those spots again later in the draft.  

Whoever our qb is, they’re certainly going to need all the help they can get, and improving the run game’s a big part of that (as is addressing our run D with improved backers to supplement our pass rush).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philibusters said:

I haven't been following this thread that closely.   Can somebody explain why Parsons fell so much.  He was viewed as a sure first rounder by this board about 4 months ago.

Character flags.  He has a lot of flags for immaturity and then it came out in late December that he was named as part of a criminal complaint by a former Penn State football player who accused Parsons of being one of four players that engaged in some pretty ugly hazing of him.  There was a sexual nature to it as well.  It all paints the picture of a very immature and violent kid who doesn't seem reliable.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Character flags.  He has a lot of flags for immaturity and then it came out in late December that he was named as part of a criminal complaint by a former Penn State football player who accused Parsons of being one of four players that engaged in some pretty ugly hazing of him.  There was a sexual nature to it as well.  It all paints the picture of a very immature and violent kid who doesn't seem reliable.

Damn. We've had enough of that already

Highlight video of pretty interesting and versatile zone DB from UT Bryce Thompson:

I'm only finding one youtube video of cutups, but he looks like a faster version of Jimmy Moreland.  Plays inside and out and does a good job as a force defender and alley runner.  He's got a nose for the ball and definitely has the kind of click and close speed you want from a zone corner.  He's not as good as Elijah Molden, but I think he's a good value to fill that role if he's there on Day 3.  And he does better in man coverage on the outside than you'd expect for his short stature because he is very aggressive and his arms are surprisingly long.  He plays the game with a controlled nastiness that is very appealing.

We've had a shocking amount of success with lower round DBs like this guy.  It's why I'm not in a burning for a corner or safety in the top 100 picks.  I think he's an option at our fifth round pick.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Damn. We've had enough of that already

Yeah, I want us to play it safe this year.  I feel like just getting four solid hits in this class could set us up for future contention given how good our defensive line is, and given that we have some nice foundation pieces on the offense.

Four to five starters/crucial reserves from this class and we'll be like a player or two away from true contention if we sort out our QB situation.

I'm hoping for something like this:

19 - super blue chip RB like Najee or Etienne

51 - year one starter at LT like Eichenberg or Cosmi, or swing big for a WR like Terrace Marshall

74 - reliable WR prospect like Tylan Wallace, or if we went WR in rd 2, then a developmental tackle like Spencer Brown

82 - Rashad Weaver, DE, Pitt or maybe Kyle Trask

114 - Cameron McGrone, LB, Michigan

146 - Bryce Thompson, DB, Tenn

209 - Kylen Granson, TE, SMU

211 - Jamar Johnson, S, Indiana

I feel like that would be a strong mix of safety and upside.  Safe picks at 19, and either 51 or 74, then again at 82.  Then as safe as you can expect from rounds 5-7.  And then big swings with McGrone and either a WR at 51 or an OL at 74.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah, I want us to play it safe this year.  I feel like just getting four solid hits in this class could set us up for future contention given how good our defensive line is, and given that we have some nice foundation pieces on the offense.

Four to five starters/crucial reserves from this class and we'll be like a player or two away from true contention if we sort out our QB situation.

I'm hoping for something like this:

19 - super blue chip RB like Najee or Etienne

51 - year one starter at LT like Eichenberg or Cosmi, or swing big for a WR like Terrace Marshall

74 - reliable WR prospect like Tylan Wallace, or if we went WR in rd 2, then a developmental tackle like Spencer Brown

82 - Rashad Weaver, DE, Pitt or maybe Kyle Trask

114 - Cameron McGrone, LB, Michigan

146 - Bryce Thompson, DB, Tenn

209 - Kylen Granson, TE, SMU

211 - Jamar Johnson, S, Indiana

I feel like that would be a strong mix of safety and upside.  Safe picks at 19, and either 51 or 74, then again at 82.  Then as safe as you can expect from rounds 5-7.  And then big swings with McGrone and either a WR at 51 or an OL at 74.

I think your theory and draft looks great, covers so many areas. My assumption after reviewing is the team has already addressed LB and FS in FA.

I mean I like McGrone in the 4th but you admitted he probably isn't an immediate starter and that is our biggest hole in the roster.

This will not be popular but as much as I like your first round choices I would feel better seeing a larger need than RB hit like Collins if a trade back is not possible. You can pick up a large RB in the 3rd to share time with the two current good RB's we have. If LB has been addressed in FA then I am good with Harris. Just not a big fan of a RB in the first round

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Thank you.

Been saying this for months. 

The "you don't draft a RB at 19" crew isn't entirely wrong. I generally agree. But you DO draft Najee Harris at 19. He isn't a normal back. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Thank you.

Been saying this for months. 

The "you don't draft a RB at 19" crew isn't entirely wrong. I generally agree. But you DO draft Najee Harris at 19. He isn't a normal back. 

As much as I like Gibson and McKissic I found myself holding my breath after each carry. Seemed to be that the next shot of each was one of them hobbling off the field. Nagging injuries at RB really hurt us toward the end of the season, especially against Tampa. Harris could give us that dependable workhorse. Short of a stud muffin LB I would take Harris at 19 in a heartbeat.

Edited by Chris 44

4 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I'm aboard with the Harris pick too btw. I just do not think we will go RB in the first, but I'd love for us to build on a strength.

He'd clearly be BPA there.  Plus, Marty Hurney certainly drafted RBs high (Williams, Stewart, CMC).

• Like 3