Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's raw to an extent but for someone his size who can run like him and high point the ball like he could -- I think with some coaching he could be a find.   I'd have no issue taking him in the 2nd.

I'd take him at 51 as well.  The tools are too intriguing to pass over at that point.  But if we draft him in the second, then I want our first round pick to be a super safe option like one of the OLs or RBs instead of one of the defensive players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

If Penei falls that far I am at the very least making a call to see if I can swindle... I mean... trade with another team to get him. At that point I’d take him over any of the QBs not names as Fields.

also: not happening.

Also not happening for WFT because WFT would need to trade to 9 (10 and 11 are Dallas and NYG).

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I would be okay trading up for Trey Lance. Physically, he reminds me a lot of Tannehill, that's who he reminds me the most of when he's not throwing. The problem is, I went back and looked at Tannehill throws back in college... yeah, he was miles better in this department. Lance absolutely needs a year or two learning, it is what it is. The NFL has changed a lot in the last 9 years, if I remember correctly, Tannehill was kind of considered a reach at pick 8 in the 2012 draft, but now? He's probably easily a top 5 pick. 

Tannehill had multiple years of high-level successful QB years at A&M (OK, just barely at 1.5). A position he was moved to despite the fact he was also one of the best WR A&M had at the time. The best predictor of NFL failure for a top 15 pick QB is lack of college experience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

Terrace Marshall's up-side is very intriguing, but I have some reservations about his motivation and character. He's kind of Jaelen Reagor like with his visible disinterest at times. Plus, he's going to have to do a damn good job explaining to teams why he chose to opt out in the middle of the season, before the Alabama game.  

I'll stick my neck out on Marshall with a big if... I want to see his pro days measurables.  My main attraction to him as a player is he looks like a freak athlete for a dude his size.  He's clearly not Metcalf level freak because he doesn't have his upper body/girth but still for a dude that tall its striking to me how he can move so quickly -- short and long and has a sick catch radius so I can see him being one of these rare tall dude-deep threats types. 

But I want to make sure my eyes aren't deceiving me on that front.   I want to see his pro day measurables first before buying in big. 

Reagor wasn't a freak physically not even as for speed.  Regardless, Reagor was killing in the Eagles camp from what I read, then he got banged up, he's a small dude.  Yeah Reagor was a lazy blocker but other than that i don't see many parallels to Marshall.   Marshall's contested catch rate % was about twice as high as Reagor.   Marshall has some physiciality to his game as for what he does with the ball in his hands and as for contested catches.   I think a coach can get him to take run blocking more seriously.  My main concern, ditto with Bateman, are drops especially in between the numbers.  I am gathering in both of their cases its concentration drops.

As for his character for opting out.  Heck at least he played for a good chunk of the season, his teammate J. Chase opted out completely.   I researched him just now, seems like a nice dude but who knows?  That's the power of interviews which we aren't privy to. 

I think PFF has a good balanced take of Marshall.  PFF has its faults but they did nail it on Metcalf who was their #1 receiver.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 1.53.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 2.17.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 2.18.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 2.18.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 2.20.20 PM.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'd take him at 51 as well.  The tools are too intriguing to pass over at that point.  But if we draft him in the second, then I want our first round pick to be a super safe option like one of the OLs or RBs instead of one of the defensive players.

I can go along with that mindset.    If I had to put money right now I'd guess we successfully trade down -- maybe a D lineman or corner lands at 19 that gives us that chance.  Then in the late first we take a O lineman or LB like Z. Collins, Bolton, T. Jenkins, or whomever. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Number 44 said:

This is why I'm not in favor of a receiver at 19, unless Smith, Chase, Pitts, or Waddle are there (unlikely).  I'm not even sure I'd take Waddle if he is there, if a top OT or LB is there.  The next tier of receivers is just too large a group of guys that are rated really close to each other, IMO.  At least one of them will be there for us in the 2nd.

I agree although I would take Waddle. HE would be BPA at a position of need and I wouldn't want to overthink it.

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I can go along with that mindset.    If I had to put money right now I'd guess we successfully trade down -- maybe a D lineman or corner lands at 19 that gives us that chance.  Then in the late first we take a O lineman or LB like Z. Collins, Bolton, T. Jenkins, or whomever. 

I'm skeptical that a decent trade down will be there.  That feels like the best outcome short of someone like Chase or Smith falling to 19.  Hopefully Darrisaw is there at 19 so we can get our LT prospect and have BPA match up with need.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm skeptical that a decent trade down will be there.  That feels like the best outcome short of someone like Chase or Smith falling to 19.  Hopefully Darrisaw is there at 19 so we can get our LT prospect and have BPA match up with need.

I take it you have no hope for Charles to be the eventual LT?

@Skinsinparadise

My comp to Reagor for Marshall was only related to motivation/character concerns, not physical traits. I was listening to a Brugler and Zierlein podcast and they also mentioned the opt out and character concerns as something that he'll have to clear up in interviews. His choice is seen as more of a red flag than people who opted out in the beginning due to covid.

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Darrisaw is possible, I'd be cool with that.  I wonder if maybe Horn or Ojulari land at 19, if so many teams see CB/edge as a premium position that isn't that easy to get later in the draft. 

3 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

@Skinsinparadise

My comp to Reagor for Marshall was only related to motivation/character concerns, not physical traits. I was listening to a Brugler and Zierlein podcast and they also mentioned the opt out and character concerns as something that he'll have to clear up in interviews. His choice is seen as more of a red flag than people who opted out in the beginning due to covid.

Gotcha.  I just posted clips from an Athletic article about Marshall and he comes off in it  as an over the top boy scout as for his character. But I gather they can figure it out in the interviews.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll stick my neck out on Marshall with a big if... I want to see his pro days measurables.  My main attraction to him as a player is he looks like a freak athlete for a dude his size.  He's clearly not Metcalf level freak because he doesn't have his upper body/girth but still for a dude that tall its striking to me how he can move so quickly -- short and long and has a sick catch radius so I can see him being one of these rare tall dude-deep threats types. 

But I want to make sure my eyes aren't deceiving me on that front.   I want to see his pro day measurables first before buying in big. 

Reagor wasn't a freak physically not even as for speed.  Regardless, Reagor was killing in the Eagles camp from what I read, then he got banged up, he's a small dude.  Yeah Reagor was a lazy blocker but other than that i don't see many parallels to Marshall.   Marshall's contested catch rate % was about twice as high as Reagor.   Marshall has some physiciality to his game as for what he does with the ball in his hands and as for contested catches.   I think a coach can get him to take run blocking more seriously.  My main concern, ditto with Bateman, are drops especially in between the numbers.  I am gathering in both of their cases its concentration drops.

As for his character for opting out.  Heck at least he played for a good chunk of the season, his teammate J. Chase opted out completely.   I researched him just now, seems like a nice dude but who knows?  That's the power of interviews which we aren't privy to. 

I think PFF has a good balanced take of Marshall.  PFF has its faults but they did nail it on Metcalf who was their #1 receiver.

Scary Terry on both sides?  I'd love the t-shirt designs we could see out there (and it sounds like we'd have 2 upstanding Terry's that can ball). 

https://cdn.europosters.eu/image/750/plastic-frame-rick-and-morty-scary-terry-i51265.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think teams would trade up for AVT if he were there.  He's the top rated interior o-lineman (some might have him as a T) in the draft.  I figure he's at best the 3rd o-lineman after Sewell and Slater.

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I take it you have no hope for Charles to be the eventual LT?

I don't think we can operate on the assumption that he's our guy at the spot long term.  Way too much up in the air with him.  The pre-draft maturity concerns, the lack of snaps as a rookie, and the uncertainty about whether he can play LT or needs to move to LG.  If we have a shot at an OT as BPA that we can have a high degree of confidence in in the first or second round, then we need to play it safe and get them.

It'd be good to build up a pipeline of young OL talent regardless.  I'm pretty much ready to move on from the Geron Christian project and I think Lucas is a back up/spot starter.  Getting a high quality OT prospect and having a real camp competition between good LT options would be amazing.  And having a good OL could be an iron sharpening iron situation in our camps and practices that could be really beneficial to the culture.  It's the identity I'd be searching for if I were building the team.

• Like 1

And just like that, there is a WR I want to draft. Go figure. 

Trade back a bit. Draft Bolton and sign Milano. Draft New Terry in the second and sign Samuel and Jonneu Smith. Hopefully draft a big hitting RB in the 3rd along with a TE.

I like that our holes are so obvious.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Trade back a bit. Draft Bolton and sign Milano. Draft New Terry in the second and sign Samuel and Jonneu Smith. Hopefully draft a big hitting RB in the 3rd along with a TE.

Was it the SIP write up or my t-shirt idea?  Cause I’m 50/50 from my side.  Haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Jamin Davis ascending pre draft. 

LB and DB seem priorities to me across day 1 and 2. Let’s continue to build a young nasty D.

He's productive but he looks slow to me. After Compton, Foster, and now Bostic I really hope we avoid slow LBers from now on lol. 

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

How many TE do they need?

12 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

What if they go into the draft not addressing MLB and Parsons and Collins are gone before 19?

IMO there are 2 MLB prospects that fit and could step in and start right away, Bolton and Werner. Do they take Bolton at 19 or risk missing him by trying to trade back

Edited by DWinzit

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

What if they go into the draft not addressing MLB and Parsons and Collins are gone before 19?

IMO there are 2 MLB prospects that could step in and start right away, Bolton and Werner. Do they take Bolton at 19 or risk missing him by trying to trade back

Collins is a SAM I think. I'm not sure where Bolton or Werner will go. 19 there is going to be a ton of talent and it's deep behind it. 

I'd say thee very top priority is MLB, ROLB, WR in no order

Second I'd say FS, OT, TE

if we could turn 4 into 5 picks, who knows how much we can hit on. 

I can not imagine both Ron and Jack not wanting to attack the LBer position this offseason. Last year had to be painful for them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

if we could turn 4 into 5 picks, who knows how much we can hit on. 

I can not imagine both Ron and Jack not wanting to attack the LBer position this offseason. Last year had to be painful for them.

The trade back option if possible would be awesome, love the idea in the this draft of strength through the 3rd round.

Totally agree the MLB must be addressed. My point was I think there are only a couple guys I could see them feeling comfortable with handing over the starter title to because of the importance to them of this position. They may have Bolton ranked top 19 and feel they have solidified the front 7 with him. MLB is the only LB position that does not have a ton of quality options in FA or the draft

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

The trade back option if possible would be awesome, love the idea in the this draft of strength through the 3rd round.

Totally agree the MLB must be addressed. My point was I think there are only a couple guys I could see them feeling comfortable with handing over the starter title to because of the importance to them of this position. They may have Bolton ranked top 19 and feel they have solidified the front 7 with him. MLB is the only LB position that does not have a ton of quality options in FA or the draft

Very true. We run a lot of 2 LBer nickle against the run. I'm hoping we see more 3 safety sets to get Collins and Curl on the field together to defend that. It's impressive how bad all of our LBers are against the run. That can't happen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Very true. We run a lot of 2 LBer nickle against the run. I'm hoping we see more 3 safety sets to get Collins and Curl on the field together to defend that. It's impressive how bad all of our LBers are against the run. That can't happen.

Agreed, plus a bit slow in coverage. 

And you are correct, they will still need to at least address another LB, FS and CB for the defense. Fortunately there will be many options both in FA and the draft to fill these slots. That's also where the extra day 2 pick would be great.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Agreed, plus a bit slow in coverage. 

And you are correct, they will still need to at least address another LB, FS and CB for the defense. Fortunately there will be many options both in FA and the draft to fill these slots. That's also where the extra day 2 pick would be great.

We should "should" be able to address everything in FA this year. Maybe not with huge signings, but we did attempt to fill FS, LB, LB, WR all in FA last year, so they are knowingly addressing it. We took a lot of swings and hit some great ones with Thomas, Lucas, Darby, McKissic, but missed with KPL, Davis, Sean Davis and that's okay. Unless we can nail a big name FA, I don't think any position is undraftable.

• Like 1