Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Pick

Miami Dolphins

Miami Dolphins

Najee Harris

Alabama · RB · Senior

After taking Chase at No. 3, the Dolphins double down on playmakers, reuniting Harris with former Alabama teammate Tua Tagovailoa. This would give Miami the makings of a dynamic, young offense.

Pick

Washington Football Team

Washington Football Team

Christian Darrisaw

Virginia Tech · OT · Junior

Washington is going to address the quarterback position one way or another. I'm guessing the Football Team goes with a veteran addition to free them up to upgrade the offensive line with this pick.

Pick

Chicago Bears

Chicago Bears

Kadarius Toney

Florida · WR · Senior

The Bears are going to need more offensive playmakers whether pending free agent Allen Robinson is re-signed or not.

Pick

Indianapolis Colts

Indianapolis Colts

Greg Newsome II

Northwestern · CB · Junior

Free agency could create a void at the position for Indy, and teams are very high on Newsome, a height-weight-speed corner.

Pick

Tennessee Titans

Tennessee Titans

Jaelan Phillips

Miami · EDGE · Junior (RS)

The Titans are desperate for pass-rush help. Phillips is the most naturally gifted edge rusher in the draft.

Pick

New York Jets

New York Jets

Ronnie Perkins

Oklahoma · EDGE · Junior

Perkins is a very productive edge rusher who plays with physicality and tremendous effort.

Pick

Pittsburgh Steelers

Pittsburgh Steelers

Jalen Mayfield

Michigan · OT · Sophomore (RS)

The Steelers will be restructuring the offensive line this offseason with center Maurkice Pouncey retiring and left tackle Alejandro Villanueva potentially departing in free agency.

Pick

Jacksonville Jaguars

Jacksonville Jaguars

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah

Notre Dame · LB · Junior (RS)

Urban Meyer has put an emphasis on speed everywhere he's been. Owusu-Koramoah brings exactly that to the Jacksonville defense.

Pick

Cleveland Browns

Cleveland Browns

Joe Tryon

Washington · EDGE · Junior (RS)

Tryon opted out of the 2020 season, but he had really strong 2019 tape. Cleveland adds the former Washington pass rusher to complement Myles Garrett.

Pick

Baltimore Ravens

Baltimore Ravens

Trevon Moehrig

TCU · S · Junior

The Ravens have other needs to address, but the reason they're so successful is because they draft the best player available. In this case, Moehrig fits the bill. He joins an extremely talented secondary.

Pick

New Orleans Saints

New Orleans Saints

Mac Jones

Alabama · QB · Junior (RS)

If the Saints do re-sign Jameis Winston, Jones would provide an additional option as they try to replace Drew Brees, who's expected to retire. Jones is a fit as an accurate thrower and good decision-maker.

Pick

Green Bay Packers

Green Bay Packers

Teven Jenkins

Oklahoma State · OT · Senior (RS)

We saw how much of a toll injuries took on the Packers' offensive line in the postseason. Jenkins can play tackle or slide inside if they need him to.

Pick

Buffalo Bills

Buffalo Bills

Azeez Ojulari

Georgia · EDGE · Sophomore (RS)

The Bills' pass rush must be addressed this offseason. I view Buffalo as the best fit for free agent J.J. Watt, but Ojulari would provide some juice off the edge if the team is still looking for help at the position when the draft gets underway.

Pick

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas City Chiefs

Landon Dickerson

Alabama · C · Senior (RS)

Dickerson, who's recovering from an ACL tear, comes with durability concerns, but the Chiefs are in position to make this type of bet on the best interior O-lineman in the draft.

Pick

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Nick Bolton

Missouri · LB · Junior

There are three good options at linebacker between Bolton, Tulsa's Zaven Collins and LSU's Jabril Cox. If the Bucs lose Lavonte David in free agency, I think Bolton would be a great replacement.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Collins is a SAM I think. I'm not sure where Bolton or Werner will go. 19 there is going to be a ton of talent and it's deep behind it. 

I'd say thee very top priority is MLB, ROLB, WR in no order

Second I'd say FS, OT, TE

if we could turn 4 into 5 picks, who knows how much we can hit on. 

I can not imagine both Ron and Jack not wanting to attack the LBer position this offseason. Last year had to be painful for them.

I’d add corner in there as well.  Might also split WR into slot and outside.  It becomes kind of tricky to prioritize for me as you have to factor in depth, in-house potential and importance (in terms of our team specifically) of position.  For example, we’re lacking both a starter and depth at corner, but it’s probably (IMO) less crucial than adding a receiver, even though we have some depth/potential there.

Leaving QB aside, I think I’d rank it like this:

Tier 1:

WR (outside), LB (one that can play in base and nickel)

Tier 2:  

Slot receiver (not ideal, but we can move others, including our backs, into the slot, or use a ‘big’ slot), Corner

Tier 3:

OT (a good one could make a big difference to our ground game, but we at least have some options in-house), TE (if Thomas goes down, we’ve got nothing), FS

Tier 4:  

LB, Corner (could argue this bumps up a tier as the TE qualifier fits here as well), RB - all of these are for depth/competition, though I can see the appeal of adding a starter quality RB.

Tier 5:

DE, G (I’m assuming Scherff re-signs, otherwise I move this up to tier 2)

Tier 6:

DT, depth across the board

Wildcards - long snapper, Kicker, punt returner

Receiver is an interesting spot as we have viable options on the outside, but I’m done with the Steve Sims experiment in the slot.  So it’s a bare cupboard and I could be convinced our need for a slot receiver is actually greater than the need to add an outside receiver.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Trey Lance??

Please be Radunsz instead

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

I would be on board with Darrisaw at 19.

Wonder if WFT did trade back into the late 20's if they'd take Mac.

Even though I am not a huge fan, he is much more appealing there than an at 19.

Darrisaw would be a quality pick. I like how he has gotten better every year

• Like 2

PFF just coming out with their top 10 as for WRs. mine are slightly different but not that far off from them

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-wide-receiver-rankings

1. JA’MARR CHASE, LSU

Chase is so good that I made a point of making him the subject of my first deep this spring. It’s easy to forget how special he was as a sophomore back in 2019 before opting out this season — 84 catches, 1,780 yards and 20 scores — he outproduced the most productive 2020 rookie receiver in the NFL, for crying out loud!

The physicality he played with at only 19 years old is nothing short of special. It’s one thing to be a contested-catch machine when you’re the literal man among boys, but it's another entirely when you’re the boy amongst men. Chase has a versatile enough skill set to be anything you want him to be in the NFL.

2. JAYLEN WADDLE, ALABAMA

Waddle has “it,” that know-it-when-you-see-it level of speed and quicks that doesn’t come around every year. Even compared to former teammate Henry Ruggs III, who broke 4.3 in the 40 at last year’s combine, Waddle is different.

That’s because speedsters often do their work in a straight line, whereas Waddle can explode any which way at any given moment. That’s why it was Waddle who was the designated returner among that heralded group ever since his true freshman year.

While it’s easy to point to his volume numbers as worrisome, that’s very surface-level analysis. Yes, his 45 catches for 848 yards and seven scores as a true freshman would all be career highs, but that’s because he barely saw the field the next two seasons between the talent around him and a broken ankle this past season. In fact, Waddle’s 3.57 yards per route run over his career is the highest of any receiver in the draft class and tops Ja’Marr Chase tops by almost a half-yard. Oh, and despite his size, he’s been excellent in contested situations over his career, hauling in 10 catches from 15 opportunities.

Production plus elite athleticism plus the ability to play through contact equals a special prospect.

3. DEVONTA SMITH, ALABAMA

We all witnessed what Smith was capable of en route to the Heisman Trophy. There aren’t many words to describe his game quite as apt as effortless. Smith glides off the line of scrimmage and through his breaks like he was born to play receiver — it’s why he amassed over 3,000 receiving yards and 37 touchdowns the past two years. He also has some of the best hands (five drops on 189 catchable the past two seasons) in the country.

All these guys at the top of this receiver class possess elite traits, but Smith has easily the biggest physical question marks of the bunch. Listed at 6-foot-1, 175 pounds, the Bama pass-catcher will immediately be one of the skinniest receivers in the NFL. This millennium, only two receivers over 6-foot and under 180 pounds have been drafted: Snoop Minnis (third round in 2011) and Paul Richardson Jr. (second round in 2014). That’s not a great track record!

Corners get bigger, longer and faster in the NFL, meaning a lack of size to combat that gets amplified. It’s not a massive deal, but it’s bigger than any issue the top two on this list have, in my opinion.

Related — 2021 NFL Draft Profile: Alabama WR DeVonta Smith via Sam Monson

4. RASHOD BATEMAN, MINNESOTA

In a class full of jitterbugs, Bateman has a decidedly different skill set. His speed and quicks won’t be his calling card, but he gets open just the same. His ability to get off the line of scrimmage and play through contact at 6-foot-2, 210 pounds is as good as it gets in the draft class after Ja’Marr Chase. It’s why he led the country in yards per route run as a sophomore in 2019 from a wide alignment.

He kicked inside to the slot this past season and remained productive, although many of those vertical targets evaporated. His shake doesn’t only translate along his routes, as he’s broken 36 tackles on 147 receptions in his career. It’s worth noting that focus drops have been a bit of an issue. Even though I’ve got no problems with how he tracks the ball, Bateman has dropped 19 of his 166 catchable targets in his career.

5. RONDALE MOORE, PURDUE

Moore is a rare athlete not only from a movement skills perspective but also from a strength perspective. Before he even stepped foot on Purdue’s campus, the then 174-pound receiver could already squat 600 pounds. It’s what makes him uniquely capable of not only making guys miss but, to quote Marshawn Lynch, “run through a mother***** face.”

The biggest question at this point is his route tree, or rather the lack of it. Pop passes, wide screens and slants — all from the slot — make up the vast majority of his utilization at Purdue.

Just because we haven’t seen a guy do it doesn’t mean he can’t. But in the cases where he did have to make contested catches or get vertical, it was a clear step behind a similarly elite athlete like Jaylen Waddle. He may have to start as a gadget player, but there is considerable room for development with Moore.

6. ELIJAH MOORE, OLE MISS

The other Moore is already much more of a polished product heading into the 2021 season — he can man the slot from Day 1 for any offense in the league.

He’s not only got an ideal slot skill set physically, but he also has the mentality to take hits over the middle of the field. You won’t find tougher catches on a 2021 slot receiver's tape.

Moore may not give you the super high end, but there are truly not many weaknesses to his game. He’s going to get open, he’s going to break tackles (31 on 153 catches the past two seasons) and he’s going to make tough catches (22-of-39 on contested targets in his career).

7. KADARIUS TONEY, FLORIDA

In our seven years of grading college here at PFF, we have yet to see any other receiver move the way Toney does. If you are drafting him early on, it’s because of that.

Can you mold that into a complete receiver? That’s the million-dollar question. With someone like Percy Harvin, who had similarly rare movement skills, that answer was no. With Toney, though, we’ve already seen some high-level creative route-running on tape.

…before you say anything about the drop, he had only three drops on 123 catchable in his Florida career.

We just haven’t seen him run routes from the outside, nor have we seen him play through contact. He saw only 10 contested-catch opportunities his entire college career. Those make him a difficult eval to pin down.

8. TERRACE MARSHALL JR., LSU

Marshall is a long-limbed speedster who offers a little more dynamism after the catch than your average 6-foot-3 wide receiver. After playing primarily on the outside in 2019, Marshall thrived in 2020 while taking over Justin Jefferson’s role in the slot. He would have easily been one of the most productive receivers in the country on a per-target basis were it not for seven drops on 55 catchable targets. Still, he can make some spectacular catches with a massive catch radius, and drops haven’t been an issue for him in the past.

He still needs to add some play strength to his game, as he’s a slender 200 pounds at the moment. While not quite a complete prospect yet, he could very well get there soon.

9. DYAMI BROWN, NORTH CAROLINA

Brown has got some of the best releases of any receiver in this draft class. And he better with how often North Carolina’s offense asked him to get vertical. His career average depth of target in three seasons for the Tar Heels was a ridiculous 17.1 yards downfield. For comparison, Rashod Bateman’s is the second-highest of any receiver in this top 10 at only 13.7 yards.

While he certainly comes with limited-route-tree concerns, Brown proved wholly capable when he was asked to win underneath and at the intermediate level.

10. TYLAN WALLACE, OKLAHOMA STATE

With 205 catches, 3,424 yards, and 25 touchdowns in his career, Wallace trails only DeVonta Smith in the draft class in terms of raw production. He’s a former track standout who can separate deep and also win at the catch point, with 44 contested catches in his career.

He’ll have similar route-tree concerns to Dyami Brown, but unlike the North Carolina receiver, Wallace didn’t show the same level of prowess when he was given more diverse assignments. He struggles to get off physical corners at his size and might be a bit of a one-trick pony.

5 hours ago, DWinzit said:

IMO there are 2 MLB prospects that fit and could step in and start right away, Bolton and Werner. Do they take Bolton at 19 or risk missing him by trying to trade back

Bolton's not going to go in the first.  The draftniks that have him in the first are wrong IMO.  Small, slow stack linebackers don't go in the first round.

Stack linebackers and receivers tend to be the big fallers every year.  I think Bolton is more likely to go in the third round than the first.

3 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

This is Nichols College, in Massachusetts.  Not North Dakota State.  I don't know who they are looking at there.

Just did a quick google search, and not sure if there's anyone on the draft radar from there. Unless they had some other small college players at the workout, idk who the hell they'd be scouting hah.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Bolton's not going to go in the first.  The draftniks that have him in the first are wrong IMO.  Small, slow stack linebackers don't go in the first round.

Stack linebackers and receivers tend to be the big fallers every year.  I think Bolton is more likely to go in the third round than the first.

Third, wow. Most boards I have seen over the past few months have him as very late 1st to mid second. I feel like beginning of the second is accurate for him and if they are indeed in need of a starter in the middle come draft time can they afford to pass him? There are not many plug and play options other than Werner. I hope they are not in this position but was asking. 

Another mock draft, another "meh" with what is there at #19. Was offered #28 from the Saints along with their late 3rd (#105) and took it.

1.28: Zaven Collins, LB Tulsa

2.51: Alex Leatherwood, OT Alabama

3.74: Amari Rodgers, WR Clemson

3.82: Jaime Newman, QB Georgia

3.105: Rhamondre Stevenson, RB Oklahoma

4.124: Israel Makuamu, CB South Carolina

5.164: Elerson Smith, DE Northern Iowa

Honestly, anything after pick #82 would be kosher for me because I am kind of approaching the draft with the understanding that we get:

1. Jonnu Smith or Gerald Everett

2. Curtis Samuel

3. Brandon Scherff

4. Ronald Darby

5. Tre Boston

6. Cam Newton on a cheap 1-2 year deal

So yeah, adding Zaven Collins at MLB, Rodgers and Samuel at WR, Smith at TE ... and drafting a potential long-term LT in Leatherwood really nails the team's needs across the board. Then the drafting of Jaime Newman as a project is obviously an important element of the draft, but in this scenario I am also assuming we bring in Cam to compete with Heinecke.

14 minutes ago, redskinss said:

2020 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Jake Wood, WR, Nichols College

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/05/jake-wood/

This guy maybe?

Did he not come out last year?

18 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Third, wow. Most boards I have seen over the past few months have him as very late 1st to mid second. I feel like beginning of the second is accurate for him and if they are indeed in need of a starter in the middle come draft time can they afford to pass him? There are not many plug and play options other than Werner. I hope they are not in this position but was asking. 

The problem for Bolton is that he looks like a 4.7+ guy and looks like he'd probably measure sub 6'.  Being small and slow is a bad combo for the NFL.  And there is some messy film from this season too.  His Georgia film in particular was awful.  Getting smoked to the edge by Zamir White, getting juked in the hole by him and Kenny McIntosh, struggling to disengage and giving up huge runs in his area, missing reads, falling off tackles, holding in coverage.  Kind of a horrifying preview of how he could suck against NFL caliber athletes.

Unless a stack LBer is truly special, there is no way I'd pick them in the top 50 or so, and Bolton isn't special.  I think round three is realistic for him, and could see him being a draft day faller that ends up going on day three.  I think a guy like McGrone is a better prospect than him because McGrone is fast, and McGrone could potentially be drafted in like round 4.  Collins and Owusu-Koromoah are the only LBers I'd consider in the first this year, and I think it's a pretty big step down from them to Cox and then a huge step down from Cox to the next group.

• Like 2

Trying to keep an open mind about the two Notre Dame edge rushers after someone posted that we met with them, but man... these guys look like marginal NFL prospects to me.  Especially Hayes.  What's the point of drafting them?  They're less impressive than Ryan Anderson and Kerrigan are right now.  If we're in the market for a third rusher this offseason, they need to be an upgrade over the two back ups we already have, otherwise we're much better off just paying the guys we already have.  One of the benefits of stacking our roster with top end edge talent is that we shouldn't have to waste any more draft picks on JAGs like those dudes.

Owusu-Koromoah and Hamilton were the only big time players on that defense this season.  I'd stay away from the rest of them.  That offense is where most of the NFL talent was concentrated.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

33 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Collins and Owusu-Koromoah are the only LBers I'd consider in the first this year, and I think it's a pretty big step down from them to Cox and then a huge step down from Cox to the next group.

Not even parsons?

Too much baggage?

Edited by redskinss

25 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The problem for Bolton is that he looks like a 4.7+ guy and looks like he'd probably measure sub 6'.  Being small and slow is a bad combo for the NFL.  And there is some messy film from this season too.  His Georgia film in particular was awful.  Getting smoked to the edge by Zamir White, getting juked in the hole by him and Kenny McIntosh, struggling to disengage and giving up huge runs in his area, missing reads, falling off tackles, holding in coverage.  Kind of a horrifying preview of how he could suck against NFL caliber athletes.

Unless a stack LBer is truly special, there is no way I'd pick them in the top 50 or so, and Bolton isn't special.  I think round three is realistic for him, and could see him being a draft day faller that ends up going on day three.  I think a guy like McGrone is a better prospect than him because McGrone is fast, and McGrone could potentially be drafted in like round 4.  Collins and Owusu-Koromoah are the only LBers I'd consider in the first this year, and I think it's a pretty big step down from them to Cox and then a huge step down from Cox to the next group.

I have concern over Bolton (and Werners) speed but seems to have the instincts to move much better than what you are stating. I have not seen such a ripping review of his play anyplace although I know there is improvement needed in his game.

You and I differ in views of JOK and McGrone. I do think McGrone has potential but I would not be comfortable saying he could be plug and play.

I am a big fan of Cox although he too may not be plug and play but his coverage skills could be used immediately. 

I really with Moses had a more consistent year. He was my crush prior to the knee and seems to have a ways to go but showed improvement

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Not even parsons?

Too much baggage?

Yeah, I'd take him off my board on the first two days.  Day three, that's too good a bargain to pass up.  But he is too immature to draft early.  My early picks need to be my future leaders, especially at the MLB spot.  I don't want to give the keys to my defense to a violent and unreliable kid.  We got burned with Guice and Parsons gives me a similar bad feeling to how I felt after I started reading about what Guice was like in college.

6 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I have concern over Bolton (and Werners) speed but seems to have the instincts to move much better than what you are stating. I have not seen such a ripping review of his play anyplace although I know there is improvement needed in his game.

You and I differ in views of JOK and McGrone. I do think McGrone has potential but I would not be comfortable saying he could be plug and play.

I am a big fan of Cox although he too may not be plug and play but his coverage skills could be used immediately. 

I really with Moses had a more consistent year. He was my crush prior to the knee and seems to have a ways to go but showed improvement

Yeah I'm lower on Bolton than the consensus.  I had high hopes for him coming into the year, but the Alabama game wasn't pretty, and the Georgia game pretty much killed him for me.  That was a really horrible game for him:

When you add that up with the bad measurables, it says late day two to day three pick at best to me.  I suspect he's going to be one of those guys that's still sitting there on day three and everyone is wondering what the hell? with like what happened with Andrew Billings or Tim Settle.  The NFL values traits more than the draftniks do, in general, and the NFL is going to be lower on this kid than the draftniks currently are.

McGrone will take time to build into a starting caliber player, but that's going to be generally true of draft picks taken outside of the first round.  I'd be willing to wait on him, and I would not force a draft pick to try and find plug and play guys for next season.  That's not really the role of the draft in the team-building process.  It's for building the heart of your roster 2-3 years out.  Free agency is for putting out the fires you're going to have next season.  And it's probably not going to be that hard to find capable bodies to play in the stack for us given the lack of scarcity of replacement level phone booth linebackers in the league.  What's hard is finding every down guys and guys who can  move outside the tackle box and play overhang roles like Owusu-Koromoah and Cox and Collins.

I was disappointed about Moses too.  It's like there is very little middle ground in a lot of his film this year.  He either looks horrible or he flashed and made a spectacular play.  He's a swing for the fences prospect.  Either he gets back to being the guy he used to be the further out from his injury he gets and you've got an absolute stud.  Or he's never going to be that guy again and is a liability who will never be good and consistent enough to start for you.  If we pick a bunch of safe guys with our first three or four picks, then I wouldn't mind taking a swing on Moses with the late third or with the fourth rounder.  But if we pick some low floor guys like Toney or Rondale or Marshall or Horn early on, my gut would be to stay away from Moses in the middle of the draft.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

McGrone will take time to build into a starting caliber player, but that's going to be generally true of draft picks taken outside of the first round.  I'd be willing to wait on him, and I would not force a draft pick to try and find plug and play guys for next season.  That's not really the role of the draft in the team-building process.  It's for building the heart of your roster 2-3 years out.  Free agency is for putting out the fires you're going to have next season.  And it's probably not going to be that hard to find capable bodies to play in the stack for us given the lack of scarcity of replacement level phone booth linebackers in the league.  What's hard is finding every down guys and guys who can  move outside the tackle box and play overhang roles like Owusu-Koromoah and Cox and Collins.

I was disappointed about Moses too.  It's like there is very little middle ground in a lot of his film this year.  He either looks horrible or he flashed and made a spectacular play.  He's a swing for the fences prospect.  Either he gets back to being the guy he used to be the further out from his injury he gets and you've got an absolute stud.  Or he's never going to be that guy again and is a liability who will never be good and consistent enough to start for you.  If we pick a bunch of safe guys with our first three or four picks, then I wouldn't mind taking a swing on Moses with the late third or with the fourth rounder.  But if we pick some low floor guys like Toney or Rondale or Marshall or Horn early on, my gut would be to stay away from Moses in the middle of the draft.

I like Bolton more than you do but I understand your points. I have watched him dominate some games and inspire his whole team. But yeah, he can take bad angles, has some disengage issues and fails to wrap up some times. I feel like he moves better than 4.7

I have been sold on Collins and Cox. They could play at least some all over the place including in the middle. I have a hard time seeing JOK being able to play near the middle unless he adds weight and strength if he really is still around 215. I will give you he is a really good play maker and can be moved around with coverage skills.

Moses is definitely a risk. I had him at picks 8-15 preinjury. I cannot see selecting him earlier than the 3rd round now but yeah, you have a shot at a 15  pick