Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

18 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@CurseReversedmy assumption is the team signs a bridge QB and drafts a QB either way. Bridge QB to win now and a drafted QB to take us next level when ready. Lance + Mariota or Lance + Tyrod even ... 

That is a pretty solid plan and I would be happy with it but If they are going to go qb in the top half of the first and groom him, it makes a little more sense to just roll with kyle allen as the starter and pick up a much cheaper vet, on a one year deal, to round out the group.   If they are going to go with the, sign a mid tier vet but groom a rookie strategy, I would rather they draft a mid round guy and use the first rounder on bpa.  JMO  

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Lance at 22? I hope many FOs feel that way!

If we are able to snag Lance at our pick. That would be a beautiful thing.

Also, if we are picking later and guys like Parsons/Lance/top tackles/WR(and the other QBs) are out...

I am looking REALLY hard at Harris/Etienne. 

1 hour ago, CurseReversed said:

The panic, win-now mode would probably be more akin to getting a expensive free agent, not something I am totally against btw.  If they are going to draft a guy high, and already have a very strong defense and some pieces in place, it makes sense to not pick the riskiest guy out there, even if its a home run shot.  Lance might have all the tools but he is still one of the riskiest of the prospects.  For a team with nothing to lose that is not a bad play.  For a team with a window of elite defense on the horizon, it makes more sense to go with the less sexy, more reliable guy.  JMO.   

See, I hate the idea of a "window." Its near sighted and reactionary. You take the best player available. The idea we have to take a worse player because he's safer and we want to "win now" usually ends up in "win never."

11 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm in the tank for Lance. Newman is fascinating, I love the athleticism and the arm--however his opt-out this year is questionable. Did he opt out for COVID or did he pitch a fit over not winning the starting job? If it's the latter--that is just about as bad an attitude as you can have. I would be Haskins all over again.

Don't know anything about Newman's  makeup.  I am intrigued by him.  He will be at th Senior Bowl so that should help the evaluation some.  As for the 3rd round types my two favs are Ridder and Newman.

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 9.21.48 PM.png

The biggest concern I’ve heard about Newman is his sloppy footwork and how it throws off his timing from snap to delivery and obviously his mechanics during delivery. I have no idea how that has changed since he last played, but I’m a little wary of getting a guy with those kinds of problems again. 

I want this guy in the third round.

Jalen Mayfield*, OT, Michigan
Height: 6-5. Weight: 319.
Projected 40 Time: 5.1.
Projected Round (2021): 1-3.
View Ranking History
12/12/20: Mayfield has played well in limited action 2020 while also missing time with injuries.

8/29/20: Perhaps the only offensive linemen who was truly impressive versus Chase Young in 2019 was Michigan's Jalen Mayfield. In plenty of one-on-one matchups, Mayfield got the better of Young, and there were other plays where Young had Mayfield on the ropes but the young Wolverine was able to recover in time to keep Young from making his typical game changing plays. It was a breakout performance for the Wolverines right tackle to conclude the regular season

15 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Honest question: what does Mac Jones supposedly give you that Kyle Allen or Taylor Heinicke don't? 

Mac has a tremendous understanding of his pocket.  He knows when to move and drop it off.  He’s got a decent long ball. You don’t see him get rattled by pressure.  He’s not one to bail out early if he has time to scan every option but if he has to take off he does have some speed.  Obviously when being young it’s hard to say what his ceiling is.  Currently I see him as a Russell Wilson game manager type his first years.  What he becomes depends on him and how the franchise develops him.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Injuries and interceptions? Is that a serious question?

Yup because as far as we know, Mac could have an injury or interception problem in the pros, too. Won't know before the draft, and conversely Kyle or Taylor could grow beyond those issues as well if given the chance, which we also don't know.

With a guy like say Trey Lance, you're talking about a skillset our current guys just don't have. So he's raw, but it's worth taking a chance on getting a guy w/ that X-factor. But if Mac Jones gives you an Alex Smith-skill set, then I feel like we already have two guys who could grow into that caliber as well. And then maybe you take a skill position or LB with that first round pick instead. All about the tradeoffs, my friend!   

Not a big Mac Jones fan.  Release is fast but low and accuracy is meh.  Physical attributes are below average except that he's fairly tall.  Pocket footwork is noisy and he's a frequent and unnecessary back foot thrower.  Ability to read his pressures looked bad in the Georgia game.  Decision-making looked OK but he got bailed out on bad coverage throws by his receivers--completions that would be INTs at the next level.  Below average ability to throw on the run.  Basically just a hand off and play action machine who caretakes an absolutely elite offense where he is maybe the sixth best player in it.  He did so little of the heavy lifting for them that he can have a 4 TD game in a 40 point outing against a high level opponent without making a single remarkable throw.  I don't really see anything special about him, or see a lot of upside in him.  He looks like a day three prospect to me.

I don't really know anything about his intangibles, but Jones is going to need Brady-level special sauce intangibles to become a high quality NFL QB.

But watching him was a reinforcement for how special Smitty is.  God he is so good.  Absolutely elite player who is so much stronger and more physical than his listed size.  I am the original driver of the Najee Harris bandwagon, but Smith is the player from that offense we need to get.  He deserves the Heisman.  He's worth our pick at either 11 or 19.  This is the Marvin Harrison of the class.

Rewatched some cut ups of Zach Wilson + his bowl game and I like him just as much as I did the first time.  He's his own player, and his mastery of his offense and the college game is so complete that his style and personality really shine through in his play.  But I see Aaron Rodgers-esque plays and throws.  I see Matt Stafford and Patrick Mahomes.  Some Jared Goff style too.  His creativity is special and he sees the play-making opportunities that normal players don't.

I think he would go #1 overall in a normal year.  But because Trevor Lawrence is so special, #2 feels like his ceiling.  I could see him falling in the current draft order too, because a lot of the teams in the current top half of the draft might keep their incumbent starters.

This class feels a little but like a remix of 2017 where Lawrence is the DeShaun Watson and Wilson is the Mahomes and Lance is the Trubisky and Fields is the Lamar Jackson who should go back for his Senior season.

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't really know anything about his intangibles, but Jones is going to need Brady-level special sauce intangibles to become a high quality NFL QB.

But watching him was a reinforcement for how special Smitty is.  God he is so good.  Absolutely elite player who is so much stronger and more physical than his listed size.  I am the original driver of the Najee Harris bandwagon, but Smith is the player from that offense we need to get.  He deserves the Heisman.  He's worth our pick at either 11 or 19.  This is the Marvin Harrison of the class.

I don't think he's going to be within reach at either position.  I think he's a lock top 10 pick.  Maybe he goes 3rd after Chase and Pitts (amongst skill position players), but he's going to go high.

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Rewatched some cut ups of Zach Wilson + his bowl game and I like him just as much as I did the first time.  He's his own player, and his mastery of his offense and the college game is so complete that his style and personality really shine through in his play.  But I see Aaron Rodgers-esque plays and throws.  I see Matt Stafford and Patrick Mahomes.  Some Jared Goff style too.  His creativity is special and he sees the play-making opportunities that normal players don't.

I think he would go #1 overall in a normal year.  But because Trevor Lawrence is so special, #2 feels like his ceiling.  I could see him falling in the current draft order too, because a lot of the teams in the current top half of the draft might keep their incumbent starters.

I see all the same things with Wilson. I think he’s going to be a star. We should move up for him. If the Jets would consider moving the 2nd pick, go up and get it.

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

This is exactly what I like about Toney. His contact balance and functional strength are so good. Those broken tackles translate to the NFL. he would be such a beast for us in the slot. 

If we win the division, I'm hoping one of Toney, Rondale Moore, or Elijah Moore falls to that 2nd round pick.

If we lose the division, I'm pretty sure one at least does.

Going over scenarios, I'm pretty sure the best we can pick is 8th overall (IF WE LOSE).

Games of importance for us draft positioning (IF WE LOSE):

Minnesota @ Detroit

Dallas @ New York Giants

New Orleans @ Carolina

Las Vegas @ Denver

Root for the bolded teams above.  If all the above happens, Dallas probably gets a lower SOS and picks 7.  I figure Carolina will lose (Saints still have a shot at a bye).  Detroit stinks, but Dalvin Cook is out.  Hopefully Bevell tries to get a win this week.  Hopefully Denver does us a solid.  

Archived