Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't really know anything about his intangibles, but Jones is going to need Brady-level special sauce intangibles to become a high quality NFL QB.

But watching him was a reinforcement for how special Smitty is.  God he is so good.  Absolutely elite player who is so much stronger and more physical than his listed size.  I am the original driver of the Najee Harris bandwagon, but Smith is the player from that offense we need to get.  He deserves the Heisman.  He's worth our pick at either 11 or 19.  This is the Marvin Harrison of the class.

We've been touting Devonta Smith from early last season.  I think he's exploded so much this season that almost no shot he lands at our pick if we win the division with the exception of maybe if he has a pedestrian combine.  It seems like the rap if teams talk themselves out of Devonta it will be if his speed isn't hot considering he's not big either.  But personally, I've been a big fan of the dude for the last two seasons.  Combining this year and last year, I've probably posted more about him than any player. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We've been touting Devonta Smith from early last season.  I think he's exploded so much this season that almost no shot he lands at our pick if we win the division with the exception of maybe if he has a pedestrian combine.  It seems like the rap if teams talk themselves out of Devonta it will be if his speed isn't hot considering he's not big either.  But personally, I've been a big fan of the dude for the last two seasons.  Combining this year and last year, I've probably posted more about him than any player. 

Regardless of how he times in the 40, he’s a great athlete. He wouldn’t be a backup CB and punt returner if we wasn’t a great athlete. 

I wonder if he’s going to do well outside, or if he’s going to need to play from the slot. 

5 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Regardless of how he times in the 40, he’s a great athlete. He wouldn’t be a backup CB and punt returner if we wasn’t a great athlete. 

I wonder if he’s going to do well outside, or if he’s going to need to play from the slot. 

They moved him around in Alabama, playing all three spots.  Played a lot of X last season.  They seemed to move him around more this season if I am recalling correctly.  With his build, he might be best at slot but he can play any spot IMO. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They moved him around in Alabama, playing all three spots.  Played a lot of X last season.  They seemed to move him around more this season if I am recalling correctly.  With his build, he might be best at slot but he can play any spot IMO. 

I can’t imagine we aren’t going to sign at least one FA receiver, but I wouldn’t mind double dipping in the draft. Imagine a receiving corps of McLaurin, Smith, and Toney. 

Watching Ridder, and there's a lot to like so far--arm strength and athleticism primarily. He's been mostly in the short game, but made a nice sideline throw with plenty of zip. I want to see some deep accuracy.

One thing I won't be able to tell is reads, progressions, etc. I don't have the eye for those elements.

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Watching Ridder, and there's a lot to like so far--arm strength and athleticism primarily. He's been mostly in the short game, but made a nice sideline throw with plenty of zip. I want to see some deep accuracy.

One thing I won't be able to tell is reads, progressions, etc. I don't have the eye for those elements.

From the games I've watched he will throw the ball deep.  His deep ball accuracy is a bit hit and miss.  I'd like to see more arc on his deep ball so the ball lingers longer in the air to give his receivers a better shot to get under them.   

I'd like to see him run more in this game.  He hasn't run much yet.

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Very, very impressed with Ridder in this game. If we don't land Lance, im on board for him even in the 2nd.

Really nice TD to end the half. 

He's my favorite non-first round Qb in this draft followed by Newman.  Why do I like him over guys like Mond, Book, Ehlinger, etc?  His speed-mobility.  On that front IMO he's better than those guys even though they have some mobilty, too   I'd like to see him use it more though.  In the games where he runs more he's more dangerous, typically. 

The key thing to remember about Ridder is that he's ascending.  That's good or bad depending on someone's point of view.  If you go back and watch older games on youtube, he's not as impressive.  I've watched most of his games this season in real time.  It seemed to snap in him in the 2nd half of the season to use his legs more and he's just in general improved his play.

As a pure pocket passer, Ridder to me is almost yawn because his accuracy is inconsistent.  He has IMO one of Haskins flaws in that he's wildly inconsistent with short out routes which seem like should be easy throws.   But when the dude threatens with his mobiliy and makes plays out of the pocket, he's fun to watch.  And I think that part of his game would translate well to the NFL.

To me he's sort of a poor man's Trey Lance.   Lance has the stronger arm and is faster but is raw.   Ridder to me has a decent arm but not a rocket.  He's fast (4.6) but not on Lance's level.  But Ridder's short and intermediate accuracy IMO is better than Lance's or at a minimum he showcases that part of his game more.  And he doesn't use his legs as much as a crutch.  I think Lance overdoes it with running.  If the first read isn't open he often then just takes off.   Ridder IMO doesn't run enough IMO in some games considering his athletic skills but has been doing it more during the 2nd half of the season.

I'd rather have Lance because Lance's mobility is really special. But I think Ridder in some ways is in that same ilk because you are banking on his mobility to carry a lot of his game IMO.   I think he goes 2nd or 3rd round.  It wouldn't surprise me if he's a surprise pick in the 2nd like Hurts was in the last draft.

14 minutes ago, max21 said:

Anyone like him more than Mac Jones/ Trask? 

All three are roll of the dice for me for different reasons but Mac and Ridder and Newman are my three favorite roll of the dice QBs.  I wouldn't bet the farm on either one.  I'd take Jones probably over Ridder.    But I can be talked into Ridder, I want to see how he plays in the next half first.  Going against Georgia is a big test for him.  😀 I am not a big Trask guy. 

I think that every dynamic impact player on the team was drafted in the last two years. McLaurin. Gibson. Sweat. Chase Young. 

Another draft like that, that gives us two real impact players, and some quality depth, could push us over the top. 

I don’t want us aiming for solid. We have enough solid. We need a couple more playmakers. 

Here's a thought. What if we trade out of the first round and try and grab extra picks for next year (similar to what Indy did in the Sweat trade).

Staggering draft picks will help spread out the cap and unless one of the QBs falls to us, I don't think there's anyone we can get at 19 in terms of caliber and need that we can't get, say, early second. That's of course if we win the division. Things change if we don't and finish top ten. IF we need an ILB say then I'd rather get a Surratt and maybe another couple second rounders in 2021 and 2022 than Moses or Parsons.  

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:IF we need an ILB say then I'd rather get a Surratt and maybe another couple second rounders in 2021 and 2022 than Moses or Parsons.  

Wow. Give me Parsons in that scenario. Parsons behind this DL and a FS and a CB would make an elite, elite defense. 

That being said, I think the best way to maximize our defense is to massively upgrade the offense. Unless we go heavy in FA, like signing Allen Robinson AND Curtis Samuel, we need to be focusing on offensive skill players. We don’t have enough talent and we don’t have enough playmakers on offense. You cannot get by with just McLaurin and Gibson. 

5 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Wow. Give me Parsons in that scenario. Parsons behind this DL and a FS and a CB would make an elite, elite defense. 

That being said, I think the best way to maximize our defense is to massively upgrade the offense. Unless we go heavy in FA, like signing Allen Robinson AND Curtis Samuel, we need to be focusing on offensive skill players. We don’t have enough talent and we don’t have enough playmakers on offense. You cannot get by with just McLaurin and Gibson. 

I think that’s overkill and too costly. One but not the other. I’d rather just sign Corey Davis and draft someone in the 4th. With Logan emerging and hopefully Harmon capable of filling the #3, I’d be happy with a weapon crew of Terry, Davis, Nico Collins, Harmon, Logan, Antonio and Jd.

of course it’s all dependent on who is under center.

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I think that’s overkill and too costly. One but not the other. I’d rather just sign Corey Davis and draft someone in the 4th. With Logan emerging and hopefully Harmon capable of filling the #3, I’d be happy with a weapon crew of Terry, Davis, Nico Collins, Harmon, Logan, Antonio and Jd.

of course it’s all dependent on who is under center.

Corey Davis? You like him better than Robinson or Golloday? Or just think he would be a cheaper option. I like Davis, he’s had somewhat of a bounce back year, didn’t really think of the thought of signing him 

I like Jones from the context of a roll of the dice guy, meaning I wouldn't trade up for him or necessarily count on him developing into being the guy, but he has some traits I like albeit none I love.  I agree with the PFF guys that the call by some to say he belongs in the same conversation as Burrow considering his stats is off the mark.   Guys like J. Klatt tout the heck out of him like he's a stud.  You never know.  I'd bet against it.  But if we end up picking in the 20s and the FO likes him, I'd ride with that pick without complaning.  My guess now though is there will be better options at that spot. 

11 minutes ago, max21 said:

Corey Davis? You like him better than Robinson or Golloday? Or just think he would be a cheaper option. I like Davis, he’s had somewhat of a bounce back year, didn’t really think of the thought of signing him 

For the money I think he’s better value. He became a much more productive guy as the 2 behind AJ Brown. I think our offense is going to be very similar to theirs in terms of a run heavy system. I don’t think we need another 1, especially since we still have to pay Terry and that aspect of our offense isn’t our strength. It makes no sense to dump say 30 million into two receivers when that’s not the way our offense is going to produce.

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

For the money I think he’s better value. He became a much more productive guy as the 2 behind AJ Brown. I think our offense is going to be very similar to theirs in terms of a run heavy system. I don’t think we need another 1, especially since we still have to pay Terry and that aspect of our offense isn’t our strength. It makes no sense to dump say 30 million into two receivers when that’s not the way our offense is going to produce.

I’d also like to add, if I was going after a marquee FA receiver, I’d prefer Godwin over Allen and Kenny.

This is why PFF grades don't and won't tell the whole story. 

Will Fuller has ZERO business about TY Hilton.

He is either injured or suspended.... basically every year. 

He's played in 52/80 games. He's averaging ~10/season.

Archived