Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

45 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Hard to feel joy about this team when they’re content with mediocrity 

So what would be your upper limit on price to move up to 8?  If it's as much of a no-brainer as you seem to think, and if other teams agree, then it's going to be competitive to a point well beyond the draft value chart.

8 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Hard to feel joy about this team when they’re content with mediocrity 

Really?

What does this team have to do to make you realize they're not content with mediocrity?

Sign an aging bruce smith and Deon sanders?

Maybe give Albert Haynesworth a 100 million dollar contract!

How about trade 3 first rounders and a second for rg3!

Point being if there's one damn thing the clown that owns this team has proven over his disastrous tenure is that he's not content with mediocrity and there's no magic answer to solve that dilemma because he's tried them all.

2 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Everyone knew who Trey Lance was this time last year. Everyone knew who Justin Fields was. The existing QBs in 2022 aren’t even remotely on that level. It’s just a terrible class and nobody is going to be in range where we would pick even if someone did break out. Get ready for eternal mediocrity under Ron.

No one really knew who Joe Burrow was during the 2019 draft. In case you forgot, he set multiple collegiate passing records, won the Heisman, a national title, and was the #1 overall pick a year later. 

7 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Everyone knew who Trey Lance was this time last year. Everyone knew who Justin Fields was. The existing QBs in 2022 aren’t even remotely on that level. It’s just a terrible class and nobody is going to be in range where we would pick even if someone did break out. Get ready for eternal mediocrity under Ron.

You're awfully dramatic.

Wilson/Jones weren’t being heralded as high ones last year. 

Beyond that, and I’m asking this completely seriously: do you watch college football?

There are QB options next year. Good ones. Maybe a surprise or two as well. 

But I forget you have an agenda here as it pertains to this whole thing. You wanted Rivera fired a couple weeks into the season last year. 

There's a line in JLC's article that I'm surprised didn't get more comments? "...based on what I am hearing, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (Notre Dame) may be moving to safety". I'm not keen on us drafting him at LB even but safety? I hadn't heard that anywhere else, how would people feel?

3 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

There's a line in JLC's article that I'm surprised didn't get more comments? "...based on what I am hearing, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (Notre Dame) may be moving to safety". I'm not keen on us drafting him at LB even but safety? I hadn't heard that anywhere else, how would people feel?

I'd love him moving to FS, Ala Darwin James, but not sure we use a first on a player who is going to be moved out of position. Especially with it being a huge hole.

Not the new FOs first draft.

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd love him moving to FS, Ala Darwin James, but not sure we use a first on a player who is going to be moved out of position. Especially with it being a huge hole.

I love JOK’s talent. He’s a blue chip talent guy. But I’d hate drafting him as an ILB or safety. Why? Because he doesn’t play either.

His position and value is as a hybrid safety/backer where he hangs out in the curl zone/plays the force defender role. If you draft him, that’s where he belongs. Now, if you long term see progression where he can move either way that’s great. But drafting him with the plan to play ILB or S is a mistake. 

I was very high on Isaiah Simmons last year, so he’s similar to that. I don’t think he’s Simmons good. But he’s also different as a player. But they belong on the edges and doing multiple things. 

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm a bit concerned too. It could be another Isaiah Simmons deal. I believe he really struggled last year - at times anyway. There's a lot to like about JOK but I'd opt to play it safe and look elsewhere if we stay at 19.

For what it’s worth...

My prediction:

1. Jax - Lawrence

2. NYJ - Wilson

3. SF - Fields

4. ATL - Pitts

5. CIN - should go Sewell but... Chase

6. MIA - Pitts

7. DET - Sewell

8. CAR - Slater

9. DEN - Lance

10. DAL - Parsons 

6/7 could swap.

7/8 are prime trade territory. 

9/10 are dependent on if anyone trades to 7/8

16 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I'm a bit concerned too. It could be another Isaiah Simmons deal. I believe he really struggled last year - at times anyway. There's a lot to like about JOK but I'd opt to play it safe and look elsewhere if we stay at 19.

Agreed.

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I love JOK’s talent. He’s a blue chip talent guy. But I’d hate drafting him as an ILB or safety. Why? Because he doesn’t play either.

His position and value is as a hybrid safety/backer where he hangs out in the curl zone/plays the force defender role. If you draft him, that’s where he belongs. Now, if you long term see progression where he can move either way that’s great. But drafting him with the plan to play ILB or S is a mistake. 

I was very high on Isaiah Simmons last year, so he’s similar to that. I don’t think he’s Simmons good. But he’s also different as a player. But they belong on the edges and doing multiple things. 

That's what I'm saying. 

7 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Seems like maybe this draft that was once touted as great at OT is reverting to maybe just good and deep?

I think the great part about OT in this draft was always because of it being deep, not for being top heavy with talent.  From the jump for the most part draftniks were saying last years top level talent at OT ws better than this year.  the charm in this draft at OT is you got more Brady Christensen types than you've had in previous drafts 

8 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Sam Howell. Though he’s likely number 1 overall. 

I liked Simmons in that draft.  I wasn't though one of the people who thought he was a tough choice between him and Chase Young.  It was Chase for me by a mile.  But I'll also say Simmons came on towards the end of the season.  He just had a rough start.

Derwin James on the other hand didn't struggle.  He was an All Pro as a rookie.  Koramoah stylistically reminds me much more of James than he does Simmons.  Similar sizes.  They both play like dogs.   The dude I was raving about before last year at safety was Jeremy Chinn.  Volsmet made fun of me if it wasn't for pumping up Chase Young, it was for being the "Chinn guy".  Chinn also didn't struggle.  Chinn was arguably one of the top 3 rookies in the NFL last year.  Like Koramoah he flew around the field like a missle.  Koramoah >> Chinn.    Koramoah is much better against the pass than Chinn.

My early hesitation about Koramoah is the fit.  I agree that he's more of an overhang defender, hybrid type.  As for his fit to this defense, my thoughts on it mean zero.  It's like me talking to a chef and telling that person who has and created the receipe what fits or doesn't fit their own dish.  They know what works in their own receipe, not me.  They would laugh at me if I told them what works in their own dish.  It's their dish.  So here its Del Rio's dish. 

If he thinks Koramoah fits his defense and what he wants to do.  That's all I care about.  He would know 100%.  I on the other hand wouldn't.   So if Keim says they like Koramoah and he is on the table.    That's all I need to hear.  If he wants him then the answer is 100% he fits this defense.

...(London) Fletcher told The Team 980. “You saw him not just lined up and covering slot receivers, but excelling at doing it. So, from a coverage standpoint, he’s gonna be great.

“He’s a tremendous blitzer. He brings a physicality when he makes tackles. I don’t think you worry about him [gaining size] I think if he can get up to 228, 230, which I feel like will [happen through] the maturation process he should be able to do. But I really liked him. He was the one that stood out the most to me. And I don’t know if he’ll be available at 19, but if he is, it would be hard not to take a guy like that with his physical talents.”

...Parsons was another linebacker Fletcher watched, but the former Pro Bowler doesn’t think the former Nittany Lions linebacker is as good as Owusu-Koramoah.

“People are gonna fall in love with Parsons’ size because he’s 6’4 and speed, I think he runs a sub-4.4, so you love that about him,” Fletcher said. “But I just think Koramoah is a better football player from what I saw.”

Parsons opted out of this season due to the Covid-19 pandemic, but as a sophomore had 109 total tackles (52 solo), 14 for loss, with five sacks, and four forced fumbles at Penn State in 2019.

Fletcher said he came away more impressed by Owusu-Koramoah’s film from this past season when he compared it to Parsons’ film from 2019.

Of course, Fletcher did tell Thomas that Parsons can offer more versatility with his size, but he still liked Owusu-Koramoah more: “I think I’m probably in the minority when I say that, but he popped a lot more for me.”

35 minutes ago, KDawg said:

For what it’s worth...

My prediction:

1. Jax - Lawrence

2. NYJ - Wilson

3. SF - Fields

4. ATL - Pitts

5. CIN - should go Sewell but... Chase

6. MIA - Pitts

7. DET - Sewell

8. CAR - Slater

9. DEN - Lance

10. DAL - Parsons 

6/7 could swap.

7/8 are prime trade territory. 

9/10 are dependent on if anyone trades to 7/8

Pitts is my favorite player in this draft so I got no problem to make a point to have him go twice in the draft like you got him and early but I don't think that will happen. 😀 

I'd go:

1. Jax:  Lawrence

2. NYJ:  Wilson

3. SF:  Jones 

4. ATL:  Pitts

5. Cinc:  Chase

6.  MiA:  Sewell

7.  Detroit trade with NE Fields

8. Carolina:  Lance

9. Denver: Parsons

10. Dallas:  Surtain

Lots of noise about Dallas wanting Surtain

On another note, Williams is special too IMO.  I think the top 3 RBs in this draft end up stars.  I love Michael Carter and also like Sermon but I see them as a clear peg or two falloff from the top 3. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pitts is my favorite player in this draft so I got no problem to make a point to have him go twice in the draft and early but I don't think that will happen. 😀 

I do not get the chance to watch much college ball since I work weekends but I agree with you here about Pitts. He's a special player well worth trading up for. 

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I keep thinking AVT will land at 19 and should be considered BPA. I know, he is best inside. What are the thoughts on him being able to handle either tackle spot?

Was watching Mel and Todd last night and they both said AVT is generating the most buzz of any player of late and they think he does not go beyond #10.

9 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I keep thinking AVT will land at 19 and should be considered BPA. I know, he is best inside. What are the thoughts on him being able to handle either tackle spot?

The can he play tackle drill has been discussed here some over time.  IMO he would be a below average tackle.  Great guard.  IMO you are picking a guard when you go AVT. 

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pitts is my favorite player in this draft so I got no problem to make a point to have him go twice in the draft like you got him and early but I don't think that will happen. 😀 

I'd go:

1. Jax:  Lawrence

2. NYJ:  Wilson

3. SF:  Jones 

4. ATL:  Pitts

5. Cinc:  Chase

6.  MiA:  Sewell

7.  Detroit trade with NE Fields

8. Carolina:  Lance

9. Denver: Parsons

10. Dallas:  Surtain

Lots of noise about Dallas wanting Surtain

On another note, Williams is special too IMO.  I think the top 3 RBs in this draft end up stars.  I love Michael Carter and also like Sermon but I see them as a clear peg or two falloff from the top 3. 

He’s just that good :ols:

2 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Was watching Mel and Todd last night and they both said AVT is generating the most buzz of any player of late and they think he does not go beyond #10.

Well, guess I don't need to worry about that anymore lol

I think of he did make it to 19 and can't get a good trade back offer he needs to be considered

The fact that he said won't make it to 20 sounds ominious for me, sounds like he's backing WFT's interest like he won't get past us

If there were no medical questions about Caleb Farley, the former Virginia Tech star would be in the mix to be the first cornerback off the board Thursday night, potentially in the top 10.

But Farley has been dealing with a back injury for more than two years, leading to two surgeries since he played his last game in 2019 and leaving his draft stock as one of the biggest question marks among teams as he heads to the green room in Cleveland for the 2021 NFL Draft.

Several general managers told NFL.com this week they have no major concerns about the medical report on Farley and believe he'll still go in Round 1. Others say they believe he'll slide to Round 2. Some of those teams are now running through scenarios to decide: At what point in the draft would they be willing to take a calculated risk that Farley's back problems are behind him and land a top-tier talent?

The surgeon who performed Farley's second surgery in March, Dr. Robert Watkins, has told clubs that Farley should be cleared before training camp begins in late July. (In a letter, he wrote the procedure went well, that it was a common microdiscectomy and that it had a 16-week recovery.) And Farley's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, has said he doesn't expect his client to get out of Round 1.

"I've had multiple teams tell me that in the middle of the draft, they are going to draft him," Rosenhaus told NFL.com on Monday. "I don't expect him to make it to pick No. 20. I'm convinced, based on my discussions, that he'll go in the first 20 picks."

Following Virginia Tech's pro day, which he sat out because of the second surgery, Farley said at a media conference on March 26 that he originally was injured while deadlifting in early 2019, herniating his L5 disc and bulging his S1 joint -- the spinal motion segment at the base of the lumbar spine that helps transfer loads into the pelvis and legs. He battled sciatica (pain that radiates along the sciatic nerve through the hips and buttocks and down each leg) throughout his first-team all-ACC season in 2019, eventually missing the Hokies' last two games, and underwent a discectomy in February 2020 to remove a small part of bone. He recovered and resumed training, but opted out of the 2020 season because of COVID-19 concerns and to prepare for the draft.

Then, Farley says, he irritated the S1 joint a couple of months ago, leading to the second microdiscectomy last month. Farley still has some weakness in one of his big toes, suggesting a nerve hasn't fully recovered since the latest procedure, but that's normal at this stage of recovery, which is ongoing.

Ultimately, some team will take a leap of faith on an uber-talented player who also had an ACL tear in 2017 and plays a speed position. That medical profile raises short- and long-term questions, even though most teams agree Farley should be ready for the 2021 season, if not by the start of camp. It's just hard to predict how his back will hold up over an NFL season and over the course of his career, especially since he hasn't played a game in 17 months.

In 23 games over two seasons at Virginia Tech, Farley had six interceptions.

https://www.nfl.com/news/virginia-tech-cb-prospect-caleb-farley-s-stock-one-of-biggest-questions-in-2021-

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The fact that he said won't make it to 20 sounds ominious for me, sounds like he's backing WFT's interest like he won't get past us

Rosenhaus is doing his fiduciary duty in advocating for his client.  He did the same thing for Willis McGahee.  Its a HUGE risk to draft Farley.  Based on what the insider types have been saying, this draft has about 15-16 real first round talents.  Farley is one of those.  Do you take an elite player and hope he stays healthy?

Archived