Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update - 3/11/21 - America Rescue Plan Bill is signed!

goskins10

2 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

The child tax credit is a monumental change. What this will do to help young families. Hopefully this becomes permanent 

Word. Me and Dana just got clearance from her doctor to call the stork or however the hell this process works yesterday in fact and this post just brought that to my attention. 

Side - does Ben Shapero even sound tiny to anyone else? He sounds like an angry lollipop kid lol. That video on the last page has to be edited hahaha

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

58 minutes ago, Burgold said:

One way to look at it is that this is a sign that the Dems have at least somewhat learned their lesson. Last time they had a super majority and a much more robust one than this, they spent four months compromising and giving ground on Obamacare. They practically neutered it to attract a handful of Republicans. Same thing with the recovery bill, the last time the Republicans destroyed the economy.

This time, they at least marched forward and didn't sell their souls and suck the life out of their bills to get a fake degree of bipartisanship.

Agreed. i'm tired of pandering to them. We have the power now, lets freaking use it. If people in red states are so brainwashed they can't even accept help from their "enemies", then that's on them. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

The child tax credit is a monumental change. What this will do to help young families. Hopefully this becomes permanent 

It really is.  It's almost amazing how expensive kids are.  My 2 kid's daycare is more than my mortgage.  Tying government stimulus to kids is really smart because, for most people with kids, all or nearly all of that money is going to go directly back into the economy instead of into a savings or investment account.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The GOP can take that bi-partisan pearl clutching and toss it over a cliff.  The Dems already reduced plenty of numbers and funding from the original bill they wanted, they also removed the $15/hr minimum wage from it despite that alone being overwhelmingly popular with Dem & Repub voters.  So far the Biden era is beginning like Obama era, the GOP is screaming for bi-partisanship, but then refuse to actually negotiate in good faith, refuse to support anything despite the Dems making concessions.  The Dems won the White House & Senate, while retaining control of the house.  Should they negotiate with the GOP? Sure, but in good faith, because when a party just won national elections across the board it is sort of a message to the elected officials that the people largely support and expect certain legislation to get passed and this stimulus was one of them.   The GOP didn't want to  negotiate, they just wanted to stall and filibuster long enough to come up with ridiculous criticisms of it to distract from the fact that is a popular piece of legislation with the American people.

Oh and btw, some folks are saying their stimulus is already pending on their accounts.  :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Regarding bipartisanship:

A political party is not the sum of elected representatives.  A political party is all of the voting members of that party.  Depending on the poll, somewhere between 40 and 60% of GOP party members support passage of the relief bill. So even though all 210 GOP House members and 50 GOP Senators voted against it, approximately half of GOP party members support its passage.   That is bipartisan.  

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

A political party is not the sum of elected representatives.  A political party is all of the voting members of that party.  Depending on the poll, somewhere between 40 and 60% of GOP party members support passage of the relief bill. So even though all 210 GOP House members and 50 GOP Senators voted against it, approximately half of GOP party members support its passage.   That is bipartisan.  

So if they don't vote for it, how are they supporting its passage?

Sounds like a Collins move, I like it but I'll vote against it.   Bull****.

Edited by China

5 hours ago, Llevron said:

Indeed 

for real, me and my wife started trying for our first at the beginning of the year. Where has this ravenous sex starved woman been? 

**** was always great and frequent enough before but damn it’s on another level now 

im Dwight Shrute right now microwaving my balls so she doesn’t get a good batch just so this continues longer 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Who is "they" in your first sentence?

The Congressfolk.

Bipartisan outside of Congress doesn't matter if it doesn't translate to votes in Congress.  You could have 100% of people giving bipartisan support of any bill, but if the Republicans in Congress don't vote for it, it's irrelevant, unless people start voting them out of office for not acceding to their wishes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, China said:

So if they don't vote for it, how are they supporting its passage?

Sounds like a Collins move, I like it but I'll vote against it.   Bull****.

He is saying that despite the elected officials voting against it, over half their constituents support the bill. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

He is saying that despite the elected officials voting against it, over half their constituents support the bill. 

I maintain their constituents are not those that vote for them, but those who own them

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

89% of NRA members support closing the "gun show loophole".  

• Like 1

The problem with the idea of "what elected officials support vs what the people support" is that the distinction only matters if the voters actually hold them accountable at the ballot box at the next election and I am not counting on that.  Progressive/Democratic policies have routinely been popular for as long as I can remember yet still the Dems seem to struggle to court the same voters who are love their actual policies.   If more people voted based on their actual support of legislation, the GOP in it's modern form would have been toast a long time ago. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The problem with the idea of "what elected officials support vs what the people support" is that the distinction only matters if the voters actually hold them accountable at the ballot box at the next election and I am not counting on that.  Progressive/Democratic policies have routinely been popular for as long as I can remember yet still the Dems seem to struggle to court the same voters who are love their actual policies.   If more people voted based on their actual support of legislation, the GOP in it's modern form would have been toast a long time ago. 

"Keep the government off my Medicare."  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, China said:

The Congressfolk.

Bipartisan outside of Congress doesn't matter if it doesn't translate to votes in Congress.  You could have 100% of people giving bipartisan support of any bill, but if the Republicans in Congress don't vote for it, it's irrelevant, unless people start voting them out of office for not acceding to their wishes.

Sure, they didnt vote for it and dont support it. Roughly half of the party does though, regardless of the political calculations of the elected officials geared towards maintaining their jobs. 

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Sure, they didnt vote for it and dont support it. Roughly half of the party does though, regardless of the political calculations of the elected officials geared towards maintaining their jobs. 

It's a weird thing, that their calculation is that they can maintain their jobs (get re-elected) by voting against something their constituents want.

• Like 1

Just now, China said:

It's a weird thing, that their calculation is that they can maintain their jobs (get re-elected) by voting against something their constituents want.

But how much do they want it?  

If their constituents consist of:  

90% people who will vote R anyway.

10% people who will go form the Trump Party if Congresman Lardbutt crosses them in any way.

Then guess how the Congressman pays attention to.  

Or if, say, the district has been gerrymandered so that the general election is a formality, but 70% of primary voters oppose the bill, same result.  

The $1,400 stimulus checks are already landing in people's bank accounts

The latest round of stimulus checks has already landed in thousands of people's bank accounts as of Friday, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The $1,400 checks are the latest round of direct payments delivered to Americans since the coronavirus began about one year ago.

Treasury Department officials said earlier Friday that people should expect checks to start arriving this weekend after President Joe Biden signed the Democrats' $1.9 trillion stimulus package on Thursday.

Officials said the payments would be delivered over the coming weeks, with most through direct deposit, Politico reported.

The banking app Current told The Journal it had already processed thousands of stimulus deposits. Chime, another banking app, said on Twitter it had already delivered $600 million in stimulus payments to 250,000 accounts.

Click on the link for the full article