Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Quarantine Thread

No Excuses

I had big plans for my 40th birthday until COVID hit.  Instead I spent the last week enjoying breweries, fall colors and amazing hiking in northern Michigan.  I hiked Pictured Rocks in the Upper Peninsula on Monday, which was easily the highlight of my trip. 

I'm took lazy to transfer and post my pics here, but Lake Superior is INCREDIBLE.  It blows my mind that such a place exists in 'flyover country'

https://picturedrocks.com/our-stories/why-fall-is-the-perfect-time-to-see-pictured-rocks/

• Like 3

On 10/7/2020 at 9:26 PM, PokerPacker said:

You're doing a good job staying safe.  Its good to stay vigilant.  But don't worry too much about this one interaction; you'll get your new owners and be just fine.  I still go to work every day and am situated within 6ish feet of about 5 people.  I was in the same house as my Dad while he was infected, and in the same room as my Mom as she was probably infected and came away clean (wearing cloth masks).  You can pick up your new floofy overlords with your N95 mask and not worry so much about this one singular human interaction. 

Went super well. I was in and out in couple of minutes.  Here are the overlords. They are super cute:

01B02E48-9362-4CE1-ADD7-BAD26F6067D5.jpeg

BD915FD3-0AA9-449C-A345-ACE5ED19AE15.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Reese’s Robotic Halloween Door Safely Dispenses Free Peanut Butter Cups

Like with concerts, group dinners, and most things this year, the coronavirus pandemic has taken a toll on trick-or-treating. With Halloween just around the corner, parents and kids-at-heart across the country are trying to find safe, responsible ways to make Halloween happen without the risk. There have been so many creative solutions to this unusual problem, like candy chutes and poles to pass out treats, but Reese’s Robotic Halloween Door definitely takes the cake.

The peanut butter cup company really wants to see people able to collect Halloween candy this year, and if you remember the joy of finding a Reese’s in the bottom of your trick-or-treat bag, you probably do too. The company invented a Robotic Halloween Door, which allows folks to pass out treats without coming in contact with any little ghouls, goblins, or germs. To activate the candy passing, all you have to say when you arrive at the door is “trick-or-treat” and just like that, a king-size Reese’s will appear before your eyes.

crop;jpeg_quality=60.jpg

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What was fun?

It is Saturday night in mid-October, and I am at an outdoor comedy show in a public park hoping to rediscover the sensation I’d once understood as “fun.” What was fun? I can no longer remember. A comedian makes a bad joke about ketamine, and a different comedian makes a better joke about puppy mills, and in the distance, I can hear the strains of several competing dance-pop DJs. There seem to be a lot of people, or maybe it just looks that way, when everyone is sitting at least 6 feet apart. Am I having fun? I wonder. Is this what fun is?

I am no longer sure. It’s like being the hatchling in Are You My Mother?, except I am confused not about the nature of maternity, but about the concept of fun. “Are you fun?” I wonder, staring at focaccia recipes on the internet. Is Emily in Paris fun? Is a Zoom birthday party fun, is ordering a pizza fun, are jokes fun, is wine fun? Have I ever experienced fun?

Seven months into the Covid-19 pandemic, I have lost track. In the first weeks of the pandemic, if you weren’t sick, if your family wasn’t sick, if you were marginally but not essentially employed, if you were lucky, you could get through the day hopped up on the adrenaline of panic from the relative safety of your home. All routines had been disrupted — schools were closed, offices were done, grocery stores were minefields, toilet paper was out — and everything was terrible, but at least fear was a novelty. Now nothing is new — even the news is not new, so much as it is escalating variations on the same ghoulish set of themes. To be lucky, now, is to have all the days feel like all the other days.

“At this point,” Jennifer Senior wrote in the New York Times in early August, “weren’t we expecting some form of relief, a resumption of something like life?” It is now the end of October. Something like life has resumed and suspended panic has mellowed into sustained malaise. The streets are lined with outdoor restaurants; there is entertainment in the parks. Online, there are lectures and performances and readings and concerts; on television, there are live sports. In real life, several different people I know have gotten haircuts. Is a haircut fun?

Click on the link for the rest

I'm not having trouble having fun. I play games online regularly with my friends, and in person with my kids. We take walks, play baseball in the yard, it's all good. Having fun isn't the problem.

I'm just filled with rage and stress and sadness all the time. My son can't have a normal kindergarten class and play with other kids. My brother has to quarantine before he can visit my parents. People of color are killed in the streets without a trial. When they aren't killed, they're underpaid for their hard work. My students at school are doing a damn good job of trying to learn online, but it's insufficient at best and frustrating for all of us.

Worst of all, it didn't have to be this way. A small number of evil people and a large number of ignorant, fearful, easily manipulated tools have ruined it for the rest of us. It makes me so ****ing mad.

Thanks for letting me vent.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go again:

Some grocery stores are limiting toilet paper and disinfecting wipe purchases again

Several leading grocery chains are reimposing limits on key items such as toilet paper, paper towels and disinfecting wipes, hoping to keep their shelves stocked and prevent shoppers from hoarding as they did when the pandemic began in the spring.

At Kroger (KR), customers can purchase a maximum of two items when it comes to products like bath tissue, paper towels, disinfecting wipes and hand soap. A spokesperson said in an email that the limits began earlier this week and apply in stores and online.

Christopher Brand, a spokesperson for Giant, a grocery chain in the Northeast, said that the company was "seeing little evidence of stockpiling, and there is no need to create panic." But since the supply chain "remains challenged," Giant began last week putting a limit of one on purchases of larger toilet paper and paper towel sizes and four on smaller toilet paper and paper towel sizes.

H-E-B in Texas has implemented similar policies in recent weeks. Some H-E-B stores have instituted limits of two on purchases of disinfecting and antibacterial sprays, while other stores have limited toilet paper and paper towels to two.

The three companies say supply chains for securing these items are still strained. Around 19% of paper products such as toilet paper and paper towels and 16% of household cleaning products were out of stock during the week ending November 1, according to data from market research firm IRI.

Click on the link for the full article

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Gonna start reading again. Been hard trying to calm my mind the last several years, long enough to read an entire book anyway. Thinking about something along the lines of Middle Ages-Antiquity.

How about A Journal of the Plague Year, by Daniel Defoe?

cover.jpg

It was about the beginning of September, 1664, that I, among the rest of my neighbours, heard in ordinary discourse that the plague was returned again in Holland; for it had been very violent there, and particularly at Amsterdam and Rotterdam, in the year 1663, whither, they say, it was brought, some said from Italy, others from the Levant, among some goods which were brought home by their Turkey fleet; others said it was brought from Candia; others from Cyprus. It mattered not from whence it came; but all agreed it was come into Holland again.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 3:31 PM, China said:

Well, I have a new project.  I mentioned earlier that they were tearing down the house next door.  Today I was awoken to the sound of chainsaws as they took down a large maple tree in their yard.  I got the tree crew to cut me a 2-3 inch thick slice of the tree from near the base.  I will turn it into a table.  First step will be to stabilize the wood so that it doesn't crack as it dries out.

Well, it's finally finished.  After stabilizing the wood I had to let it dry out for a few months.  Then I stained it and attached the legs.  I counted the tree rings and marked various events going back the last 80 years, and then coated it with marine tabletop epoxy so it will hold up to the weather.  The legs look like cast iron, but are actually cast aluminum so are lighter (and the table is heavy enough by itself) and won't rust.

PkGM2Fy.jpg

bb6PcX8.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

As a 28yo that doesn’t really like to cook, I’ve really been able to learn how to use the **** out of a crockpot during this weird time in life. It’s so easy to make meals and somewhat meal prep with a crock pot, my mom is so proud 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, max21 said:

As a 28yo that doesn’t really like to cook, I’ve really been able to learn how to use the **** out of a crockpot during this weird time in life. It’s so easy to make meals and somewhat meal prep with a crock pot, my mom is so proud 

get an instant pot during the black friday sales and you'll really be happy....super simple and does the same type of cooking in a fraction of the time...frozen chicken breasts to fully cooked in ~10 mins

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

get an instant pot during the black friday sales and you'll really be happy....super simple and does the same type of cooking in a fraction of the time...frozen chicken breasts to fully cooked in ~10 mins

I’ll have to look into it, I’ve heard a lot about air fryers recently and might have to see what all the hype is about with them also. 

The virtual sex parties offering you an escape from isolation during lockdown, from Killing Kittens to NSFW

WITH the second lockdown in full swing, kinky Brits are casting off their loungewear, slippers and inhibitions to explore virtual sex parties. 

While these erotic events are typically held behind closed doors in private members mansions or X-rated clubs, now you can get your kink on without leaving your home.

All you need is a laptop and an open mind to discover your sexual fantasies along with others stuck at home due to the pandemic. 

Some companies are offering raunchy virtual house parties, while others are putting on online shows or events which offer content that is a little more titillating than Netflix. 

So how can you be part of the action?

Fabulous has rounded up the top virtual sex parties that all you to escape your isolation...

Click on the link for more