Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

10 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I’m very confident that I am both the best Scrabble player and Jeopardy player on the entire forum.

Likely, by a wide margin.

i think it's a big leap to compare your results when you only play against yourself to what would happen if you played against the average adult human

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

I'll bet I was the best left-handed luthier on this forum 7 years ago, and I doubt it was even close.

You're probably still the best left-handed luthier on this forum, even if you haven't made a guitar in years.

• Thanks 1

Pro tip:  The Monday/Tuesday before Thanksgiving is not the ideal day to drive from West Palm Beach to Richmond.

The Monday WPB to Savannah jaunt was manageable, if a bit crowded.  Left out of Savannah at 7:15AM this morning thinking I might get ahead of the holiday rush and slide into RVA around 1:30.  NOPE.

By 9:00 the mid Kakalaki I-95 wasteland was overflowing with packed to gills with minivans and RVs all competing to see who could go the slowest in the left lane.  Add in the lines at the gas stations, and a 6.5 hour drive turned into an 8.5 hour drive real quick.

On the upside, the Waffle House was delicious and the rest areas were very crowded and thus packed with dogs…which is nice.

Time to pour a bourbon!

• Haha 1

My wife bought me my first bass guitar last year for my birthday. Because of hand and other personal issues, I am just now getting around to using it. It is a Dingwall NG2. Got it for under $2,000. I looked up the other day how much you can get them for. Used, I found they are going for $2500+. Got mine at the right time.

Anyways, I've never paid much attention to bass in music. I have been for the last year and wow, there are some crazy ass bass players out there. Seriously impressed and motivated.

I have been looking at electronic drums because I want to learn to play, but I don't want to disturb my wife while she is working. I just do not know what to buy. There are options, but it seems as if there are complaints about everything. I need something to learn on and eventually upgrade to acoustic.

I am really into rhythm right now and I want to fully flesh that out before I try to make more music. I want to do it all and not to have to rely on drum programs.

Also, saving up for a Strandberg Boden Prog NX7. My bass is multi-scale and I love it. It's easier for me to play. Looking for the same thing for guitar, but I also imagine that chords are harder to play.

Just in general with feeling better, I have found the energy I had in my late teens and early 20's for making energetic music and crushing the ears of the people I love :)

• Haha 1

A pet peeve that ranks very high up there for me. Standing in line at a crowded public place. And the person either directly in front of me, or a person or 2 ahead, turns around and starts looking around towards the back of the line.

We're gonna uncomfortably look at each other before your eyes drift elsewhere. Wtf are you looking for.. Nothing, you impatient moron. 

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Pro tip:  The Monday/Tuesday before Thanksgiving is not the ideal day to drive from West Palm Beach to Richmond.

The Monday WPB to Savannah jaunt was manageable, if a bit crowded.  Left out of Savannah at 7:15AM this morning thinking I might get ahead of the holiday rush and slide into RVA around 1:30.  NOPE.

By 9:00 the mid Kakalaki I-95 wasteland was overflowing with packed to gills with minivans and RVs all competing to see who could go the slowest in the left lane.  Add in the lines at the gas stations, and a 6.5 hour drive turned into an 8.5 hour drive real quick.

On the upside, the Waffle House was delicious and the rest areas were very crowded and thus packed with dogs…which is nice.

Time to pour a bourbon!

Warning, 95 once in VA lately….start drinking now. Well, don’t. But you know what I mean. 

4 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

My wife bought me my first bass guitar last year for my birthday. Because of hand and other personal issues, I am just now getting around to using it. It is a Dingwall NG2. Got it for under $2,000. I looked up the other day how much you can get them for. Used, I found they are going for $2500+. Got mine at the right time.

Anyways, I've never paid much attention to bass in music. I have been for the last year and wow, there are some crazy ass bass players out there. Seriously impressed and motivated.

I have been looking at electronic drums because I want to learn to play, but I don't want to disturb my wife while she is working. I just do not know what to buy. There are options, but it seems as if there are complaints about everything. I need something to learn on and eventually upgrade to acoustic.

I am really into rhythm right now and I want to fully flesh that out before I try to make more music. I want to do it all and not to have to rely on drum programs.

Also, saving up for a Strandberg Boden Prog NX7. My bass is multi-scale and I love it. It's easier for me to play. Looking for the same thing for guitar, but I also imagine that chords are harder to play.

Just in general with feeling better, I have found the energy I had in my late teens and early 20's for making energetic music and crushing the ears of the people I love :)

I got an Alesis Nitro mesh electronic kit last year.  It is awesome.  A couple things to note:

It's still loud.  Especially when wearing headphones.  You know when someone talks to you while wearing headphones and they talk louder to you?  Yeah, same thing with playing drums.  You can try to play as soft as possible, it's louder than you think.

The one thing I wish this kit had was a mesh bass drum.  Its rubber, and its loud.  I got a knock at the door from security, playing Zeppelin songs full-bore.  I'm a dumbass.

I made a new kick pedal mallet out of a foam golf ball and a spare mallet post.  Still loud af.  See if you can get a mesh bass drum.

20211123_205923.thumb.jpg.3c91bb1317dc7342c68d2cbe6734e07c.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

I got an Alesis Nitro mesh electronic kit last year.  It is awesome.  A couple things to note:

I have been worried about Alesis. I had one of their drum machines about 20 years ago. It was cool, I really liked it. However, I guess one of my problems with Alesis is that their reviews seem to be fake. I wasn't quite sure if I should aim for a Roland or not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The idea that a regular tailgate member would have a freaking Dingwall is extremely amusing to me.

We’re talking a .1% slice of humanity…

I am not sure exactly what you are saying here. Are you implying that they are super expensive and typically normal people couldn't afford them? I actually agree if that is the case. I am not taking anything personal by the way. My wife doesn't mind spending the money on me because she knows that my life revolves around music.

The great thing is that mentally I am feeling fantastic. So, she knows that any music equipment that I purchase will be put to good use. That's also why I am looking to buy an electronic drum kit.

Also, my wife and I spend very little. Our friends have all asked us why we can afford things. Well, we do not go to restaurants every week like they do. Our cars have been paid off since 2005. We typically save money for traveling. Our only expenses are mortgage, electric and gas. We try to be smart and spend the minimum. We don't have to have the newest appliances, We make do with what we have and spend money on things that we believe are more beneficial to our way of living.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I have been worried about Alesis. I had one of their drum machines about 20 years ago. It was cool, I really liked it. However, I guess one of my problems with Alesis is that their reviews seem to be fake. I wasn't quite sure if I should aim for a Roland or not.

This set has been solid.  Lightweight (I can easily pick up the entire drumset by the drum rack, with one arm.  Easy to transport.  Best deal below $400, by far.

Now, when you're talking bigger bucks, Roland is king.  Their top shelf kits are incredible.

The thing I like about higher-end electric kits is that their drums have a larger diameter.  You can be less accurate on them.  This set has 8 inch drums in diameter.  My accuracy has been forced to get better, but my wildness has had to suffer.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

The thing I like about higher-end electric kits is that their drums have a larger diameter.  You can be less accurate on them.  This set has 8 inch drums in diameter.  My accuracy has been forced to get better, but my wildness has had to suffer.

Thanks man, I knew you were the guy to chime in. If you had around a $1000, give or take a couple $100, what would you begin with? I'm leaning towards either Roland or Yamaha. I don't want to waste my money. This isn't something that I think I enjoy. It is something that I am taking seriously to add to my repertoire.

I know you are a serious drummer. I can't imagine a dude that worships Danny Carey not knowing his drums. Guide me my friend. How do I learn to pound some skins properly? Thank you in advance,

• Like 1

Yamaha.  Both my piano and bass were Yamaha.  (Bass was red single pickup, basic...figured I'd add pedals if I wanted, but it was stolen in a burglary in '91.)  I played everything in American Music Store in Jacksonville for 4 hours before deciding on it...traded my Kramer (that was just really big & heavy), ended up paying $20 because I never would tell him what I paid for the Kramer and he gave me a decent offer.  :ols:

Happy trails! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Thanks man, I knew you were the guy to chime in. If you had around a $1000, give or take a couple $100, what would you begin with? I'm leaning towards either Roland or Yamaha. I don't want to waste my money. This isn't something that I think I enjoy. It is something that I am taking seriously to add to my repertoire.

I know you are a serious drummer. I can't imagine a dude that worships Danny Carey not knowing his drums. Guide me my friend. How do I learn to pound some skins properly? Thank you in advance,

$1,000 bucks, you won't miss with a bit of research.  Narrow it down.  Google forum threads, read reviews, you'll zero-in on a kit.  Yamaha makes badass stuff, along with Roland.

Danny Carey is the lovechild of John Bonham and Neil Peart.

I describe how to learn drums differently every time.  One day I'll say, "it's just like dancing...that's all."  Or, "you're basically learning how to dribble 4 basketballs."  Today...

You WANT to learn that 4 quarter notes on the hi hat, you NEED to learn that 4 quarter notes on the hi hat.  Bass on the 1, snare on the 3.  Have fun with it.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

50 years ago today "D.B. Cooper aka Dan Cooper aka unknown name" jumped out of a plane with $200k in ransom money. It remains the only unsolved air piracy in airplane history. 

I've probably watched 10 docs on this.  It's one of those things that always gets my attention, don't know why. 

6 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Yamaha.  Both my piano and bass were Yamaha.  (Bass was red single pickup, basic...figured I'd add pedals if I wanted, but it was stolen in a burglary in '91.)  I played everything in American Music Store in Jacksonville for 4 hours before deciding on it...traded my Kramer (that was just really big & heavy), ended up paying $20 because I never would tell him what I paid for the Kramer and he gave me a decent offer.  :ols:

Happy trails! 

yeah, Yamaha makes some really nice stuff these days

3 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

$1,000 bucks, you won't miss with a bit of research.  Narrow it down.  Google forum threads, read reviews, you'll zero-in on a kit.  Yamaha makes badass stuff, along with Roland.

Danny Carey is the lovechild of John Bonham and Neil Peart.

I describe how to learn drums differently every time.  One day I'll say, "it's just like dancing...that's all."  Or, "you're basically learning how to dribble 4 basketballs."  Today...

You WANT to learn that 4 quarter notes on the hi hat, you NEED to learn that 4 quarter notes on the hi hat.  Bass on the 1, snare on the 3.  Have fun with it.

thank you. Now, I just need to sell some music equipment 

• Thumb up 1