Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

I am currently learning Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT).  Whoa this is a super rich and poignant therapy.  There are some valuable lessons in here.  As a clinician, I could see myself having a hard time teaching this to clients.  There is a Zen Buddhist spiritual aspect to all the skills, I feel like I would need to do lots of work myself to really immerse myself in it.  I have never been big on meditation, but I certainly can understand the benefits.  Emotional regulation is such an important aspect of mental health, which is essentially what this therapy is all about.  I am so sick of school and writing papers, but I am determined to finish.  Going part-time has really put me on the slow track.  Slow and steady wins the race...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

I am currently learning Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT).  Whoa this is a super rich and poignant therapy.  There are some valuable lessons in here.  As a clinician, I could see myself having a hard time teaching this to clients.  There is a Zen Buddhist spiritual aspect to all the skills, I feel like I would need to do lots of work myself to really immerse myself in it.  I have never been big on meditation, but I certainly can understand the benefits.  Emotional regulation is such an important aspect of mental health, which is essentially what this therapy is all about.  I am so sick of school and writing papers, but I am determined to finish.  Going part-time has really put me on the slow track.  Slow and steady wins the race...

As someone who has studied mental health extensively (self-taught) over the past 15 years, I wouldn’t trust any therapist/clinician that doesn’t practice what they preach. 🙂

And it’s a big reason why I haven’t sought professional help. In addition to hearing many anecdotal experiences from my physical therapy patients, whenever I come across mental health professionals, they aren’t any more self-regulated than the average person.

With that being said, everybody needs education and access to these tools. And I’d argue it should be taught in schools as early as possible as part of general curriculum like math, English, etc.

Practicing health, including mental health, is a way of life and daily practice. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

As someone who has studied mental health extensively (self-taught) over the past 15 years, I wouldn’t trust any therapist/clinician that doesn’t practice what they preach. 🙂

And it’s a big reason why I haven’t sought professional help. In addition to hearing many anecdotal experiences from my physical therapy patients, whenever I come across mental health professionals, they aren’t any more self-regulated than the average person.

With that being said, everybody needs education and access to these tools. And I’d argue it should be taught in schools as early as possible as part of general curriculum like math, English, etc.

Practicing health, including mental health, is a way of life and daily practice. 

One of the first things my professor in this class said was something along the lines of, "you can't help your patients any more than you help yourself."  Completely agree with you.  I think good clinicians are constantly putting in the effort to learn, grow, mature, and become more grounded.

I hear what you are saying, I've seen in my own program some people who use graduate school as their own form of therapy.  And others who seem to simply not care about the work or who want to work hard.  It's sad.  But hey, we all walk our own path, maybe those people have strengths and skills that are beneath the surface.  I realize I have chosen a pretty grueling profession, and admittedly there are times where I feel burnt out, and I haven't even gotten to my practicum yet!  I am excited to connect with people and help them in their journey, I feel like my people skills are my biggest strength.  If you can't connect and understand someone then you are pretty much useless as a therapist, much less being able to show empathy.  There are so many skills to learn though.

Glad you are so proactive about mental health, keep up the great work.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

One of the first things my professor in this class said was something along the lines of, "you can't help your patients any more than you help yourself."  Completely agree with you.  I think good clinicians are constantly putting in the effort to learn, grow, mature, and become more grounded.

I hear what you are saying, I've seen in my own program some people who use graduate school as their own form of therapy.  And others who seem to simply not care about the work or who want to work hard.  It's sad.  But hey, we all walk our own path, maybe those people have strengths and skills that are beneath the surface.  I realize I have chosen a pretty grueling profession, and admittedly there are times where I feel burnt out, and I haven't even gotten to my practicum yet!  I am excited to connect with people and help them in their journey, I feel like my people skills are my biggest strength.  If you can't connect and understand someone then you are pretty much useless as a therapist, much less being able to show empathy.  There are so many skills to learn though.

Glad you are so proactive about mental health, keep up the great work.

Absolutely. Even mentors need their own mentors. We’re all human. But if I can break you down in 5 minutes, we’re not going to be compatible 🙂

I had to learn empathy…. because it was never modelled to me. It wasn’t until I understood thoughts/beliefs/emotions and human needs (motivations) that I could understand myself and others.

Part of the reason why I’m self-taught is because as a lifelong student, while I excelled in an educational setting, I was consistently burnt out…. and found the common educational model not necessarily ideal for actual learning. It’s more about punishing students by creating a gruelling course to beat you into submission in order to justify your diploma. Just have to pay your dues. 😜

Im not interested in learning like that any longer.

With that being said, hang in there. And focus on the parts that leave you feeling fulfilled 😜

• Like 1

Weird fun. Tom Cruise follows me on Twitter. 
When his account posted the last trailer for Top Gun, I RTd it and noticed when i did that on the right side of the screen in the box of "People you should follow", there was Tom Cruise, checkmark and all with a little box that said "Follows you" next to his name

So i followed him back.

~Bang

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I refuse to believe having a peanut butter sandwich with a bowl of chili is a thing. I tried it once thinking maybe a secret flavor of taste would unlock once the two are combined.

It doesn't. You taste the peanut butter. You taste the chili. Two foods that don't belong together.

• Like 1

Just now, skinsmarydu said:

That's technically a sloppy joe.  :807:

I learned recently its called Appalachian style if on a hotdog bun. 🤣

N yes that was my first thought. That's pretty much just a sloppy joe. Tho with beans since if I make chili there's gonna be a variety of beans in it. 

• Thumb up 1

35 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Derby was outstanding, a long shot who entered the field last minute won.

I nearly forgot it was going to be on at all. I was pulling for the Japanese horse just for the sake of the oddity. A horse winning a day after being entered definitely topped that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

I refuse to believe having a peanut butter sandwich with a bowl of chili is a thing. I tried it once thinking maybe a secret flavor of taste would unlock once the two are combined.

It doesn't. You taste the peanut butter. You taste the chili. Two foods that don't belong together.

This reminds me, I've never had steak & eggs.  First thought is that they don't go together, but I hear people touting it all the time.  Gotta try it.