Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

COVID-19 infects majority of bad dreams: study

COVID-19 has turned 2020 into a nightmare for many people, as they struggle with health problems, economic uncertainty and other challenges. Now a team of researchers in Finland has evidence that the pandemic really is a bad dream. In a paper published in Frontiers in Psychology, scientists used artificial intelligence to help analyze the dream content of close to a thousand people and found that the novel coronavirus had infected more than half of the distressed dreams reported.

The researchers crowdsourced sleep and stress data from more than 4,000 people during the sixth week of the COVID-19 lockdown in Finland. About 800 respondents also contributed information about their dreams during that time—many of which revealed a shared anxiety about the pandemic.

"We were thrilled to observe repeating dream content associations across individuals that reflected the apocalyptic ambience of COVID-19 lockdown," said lead author Dr. Anu-Katriina Pesonen, head of the Sleep & Mind Research Group at the University of Helsinki. "The results allowed us to speculate that dreaming in extreme circumstances reveal shared visual imagery and memory traces, and in this way, dreams can indicate some form of shared mindscape across individuals."

Pesonen and her team transcribed the content of the dreams from Finnish into English word lists and fed the data into an AI algorithm, which scanned for frequently appearing word associations. The computer built what the researchers called dream clusters from the "smaller dream particles" rather than entire dreams.

Eventually, 33 dream clusters or themes emerged. Twenty of the dream clusters were classified as bad dreams, and 55 percent of those had pandemic-specific content. Themes such as failures in social distancing, coronavirus contagion, personal protective equipment, dystopia and apocalypse were rated as pandemic specific.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

Just from my experience, I believe the article. Up until two weeks ago I was having dreams every night about being in a crowd of people and forgetting my mask. It was a different dream every time, but with the same results. My wife suggested that I keep a back up mask in both the car and truck. Since then the dreams have gone. I have a smart wonderful wife.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tshile said:

My test is negative. Daughters test is negative. Taking the boy now. 

Rapid tests have a high false negative rate. It’s also possible we’re all getting tested too soon. 

but for now we’re proceeding as though theres an opportunity to protect the children and isolate the mother. I think I have it, based on light symptoms. But, if there’s a chance to protect them we have to go for it. 

fun stuff...

1st of all, hoping the best for your family. Definitely a scary situation but sounds like youre doing the right things. Good luck to you and your fam!

Re: Rapid tests. I was reading a great article last night about how important theyll be to stopping the spread because identifying clusters of positive people with it is more efficient than identifying/contract tracing people 1-by-1 (even though that's what the US is doing right now). But they were saying they do have a high false negative rate, but if you're testing a cluster (or family), the odds are you'll at least get 1 positive test back from them if everyone is positive. Then you can tell those people with close contact that tested negative to get the heavy duty test that is a lot more accurate, but takes a few days to get back. Anyway, long-winded way of asking if anyone advised you to get that test instead of the rapid test, while you quarantine?

Edited by mammajamma
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Anyway, long-winded way of asking if anyone advised you to get that test instead of the rapid test, while you quarantine?

the person we believe it came from had the pcr test come back positive. We did the rapid test because it’s available where we live. 

we have not received any advice from the doctor but my wife works in healthcare specifically dealing with covid so we have been working with the protocols she’s well versed in.  All signs were pointing to yes we were infected and we tried the rapid test just to see. If we all came back negative the next step was for her to get a pcr test. but those take 2 days to come back and the rapid test allowed us to confirm some potential decision making (like notifying people and making plans to be missing from work for 2 weeks)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

the person we believe it came from had the pcr test come back positive. We did the rapid test because it’s available where we live. 

we have not received any advice from the doctor but my wife works in healthcare specifically dealing with covid so we have been working with the protocols she’s well versed in.  All signs were pointing to yes we were infected and we tried the rapid test just to see. If we all came back negative the next step was for her to get a pcr test. but those take 2 days to come back and the rapid test allowed us to confirm some potential decision making (like notifying people and making plans to be missing from work for 2 weeks)

yeah, i mean everything you did completely makes sense. also great to hear that you have an "insider" that is already so smart about it all. i was just curious if theyre telling people to take the pcr test instead of the rapid test if anyone in their household has already tested positive with either test.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Curious... do any of you still spray/wipe down all packaging/groceries when you bring it in to your place? 

Yeah, my wife and I do. We even wash our veggies with hot water and soap. We wipe down everything including car doors, steering wheels etc.... it may be overboard, but we’ve stayed healthy this long. We will continue to do so until the coast is clear. We are not accepting of too many opinions right now. It’s a very small price to pay to not be dead or have any life long issues.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Yeah, my wife and I do. We even wash our veggies with hot water and soap. We wipe down everything including car doors, steering wheels etc.... it may be overboard, but we’ve stayed healthy this long. We will continue to do so until the coast is clear. We are not accepting of too many opinions right now. It’s a very small price to pay to not be dead or have any life long issues.

Please don't take this as mocking or argumentative, but will signal to you that the "coast is clear" with Covid? I've asked my parents the same question, so I really don't mean any disrespect, just curious

1 minute ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Yeah. I was the same. Wiped down everything. Starting to slack off a bit tho in the wipe down dept, except for when I go to visit my dad (who is high risk). It really is a slog, both in terms of time/energy and for how much extra you have to spend on wipes, and sprays and the like, volume and inflation considering.

But then I remember what it felt like to be sick, and I didn't want to go through it again, or be the reason why anyone close to me does. Was just wondering how everyone else is getting on... :cheers:

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Curious... do any of you still spray/wipe down all packaging/groceries when you bring it in to your place? 

ya, we still wipe down packaging before putting it away. produce/fruit we dont wipe down, but we dump it out of the bag into bowls or the fridge, then make sure to rinse off thoroughly before eating any of it.

also wash our hands thoroughly after grabbing the mail

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I still put on gloves and wipe down big boxes from UPS/Fedex. I quarantine my mail for a day as well. Just have a small box by the door and leave it there for a day.

It takes such little effort. In my opinion, now is not the time for complacency.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Please don't take this as mocking or argumentative, but will signal to you that the "coast is clear" with Covid? I've asked my parents the same question, so I really don't mean any disrespect, just curious

no disrespect taken. That’s the $750 question right now. We are not waiting on a certain event. We are also well aware that Covid might be here to stay. But, I for one have had many mental issues, and am feeling a bit better. I’m just not ready to check out or have any additional health problems. We definitely couldn’t afford my wife getting sick with it. I think we’ll know when the time is right for us. I don’t think it’s going to be before we can trust our government again with health related issues.

But really, the very small amount of time that we do it is worth the peace of mind for now. I was always against hand sanitizer and the like because I thought you were just setting yourself up to get it bad when something went wrong. This year I’ve become a germaphobe. Eh..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mammajamma said:

i was just curious if theyre telling people to take the pcr test instead of the rapid test if anyone in their household has already tested positive with either test.

I have sent the info to our doctor but we did not consult her. 

last time I went through this they were perfectly happy with the rapid test. That’s all we’ve ever done. All the previous times were more “we don’t think you actually have covid but you checked just enough boxes were willing to say you should get a test out of an abundance of caution”

but that was after we passed the initial phase of not being able to test enough people and the test requiring doctors orders. 

so technically I don’t know if they would suggest the pcr test since we have one confirmed case. 

my guess is that my doctor will respond with:

stop taking tests. Please stop having them torture your children. Just assume everyone has it. Monitor everyone closely for symptoms especially the little ones (when they go south they go quicker than you’d think), and if you reach a certain point please go to the hospital. Call them beforehand so they know what’s going on. 

But just a guess. I’ve had enough conversations with enough healthcare people I think it qualifies as an educated guess ;)

17 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

That’s the $750 question right now

I’m so glad this is a thing now

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We generally leave mail and packages for a day too, washing hands after we bring them in. As far as groceries, mostly the same. I don’t stress about that much, though, since the science says it’s super hard to get Covid that way. But agreed, staying focused.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

Oh no, that's unfortunate. 

just saw kaitlin collins do a breakdown of peeps hicks would have had a lot of  close, long, verbal interactions with, even just on air force one since yesterday (since they're tested daily) and it's a long list

• Like 2