Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Wisconsin activates field hospital as COVID keeps surging

Wisconsin health officials announced Wednesday that a field hospital will open next week at the state fairgrounds near Milwaukee as a surge in COVID-19 cases threatens to overwhelm hospitals.

Wisconsin has become a hot spot for the disease over the last month, ranking third nationwide this week in new cases per capita over the last two weeks. Health experts have attributed the spike to the reopening of colleges and K-12 schools as well as general fatigue over wearing masks and socially distancing.

State Department of Health Services Secretary Andrea Palm told reporters during a video conference that the facility will open on Oct. 14.

“We hoped this day wouldn’t come, but unfortunately, Wisconsin is in a much different, more dire place today and our healthcare systems are beginning to become overwhelmed by the surge of COVID-19 cases,” Democratic Gov. Tony Evers said in a statement. “This alternative care facility will take some of the pressure off our healthcare facilities while expanding the continuum of care for folks who have COVID-19."

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, China said:

Wisconsin activates field hospital as COVID keeps surging

Wisconsin health officials announced Wednesday that a field hospital will open next week at the state fairgrounds near Milwaukee as a surge in COVID-19 cases threatens to overwhelm hospitals.

Wisconsin has become a hot spot for the disease over the last month, ranking third nationwide this week in new cases per capita over the last two weeks. Health experts have attributed the spike to the reopening of colleges and K-12 schools as well as general fatigue over wearing masks and socially distancing.

State Department of Health Services Secretary Andrea Palm told reporters during a video conference that the facility will open on Oct. 14.

“We hoped this day wouldn’t come, but unfortunately, Wisconsin is in a much different, more dire place today and our healthcare systems are beginning to become overwhelmed by the surge of COVID-19 cases,” Democratic Gov. Tony Evers said in a statement. “This alternative care facility will take some of the pressure off our healthcare facilities while expanding the continuum of care for folks who have COVID-19."

Click on the link for the full article

How long is it gonna take for them to figure this out?  Just stop testing.  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I believe that the us did all it could and I watch cnn. We are talking a politicians and people making there own decisions.  More could have been done, but a group of three year Isn’t going to have the ability to perform open heart surgery...

Unsure how you can reconcile saying both in the same paragraph.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 5

Anyone who really thinks that this outcome is the best the US could have done.... I'm sorry, I just don't get it.  Every other comparable country has handled this vastly better than the US.  

I urge everyone to read the recent editorial in the New England Journal of Medicine.  It is succinct and damning.

nejme2029812.pdf

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I believe that the us did all it could and I watch cnn. We are talking a politicians and people making there own decisions.  More could have been done, but a group of three year Isn’t going to have the ability to perform open heart surgery...

Its October and I STILL can’t get a Covid test unless I’m symptomatic.

3 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

more could have been done but the US lacked the will power and ability 👍 

I do not agree.  The US (Trump GOP) willingly chose to ignore it and wish it away until they could not. Meanwhile,  the more progressive states shutdown/locked down without help or support from the Federal government. We'd probably be approaching 300k+ deaths right now had California and NY not locked down when they did. 

We'd also likely have a significant less # of deaths had an aggressive path been taken in early February (not to mention still having the Global Health Security and Biodefense Unit that Trump disbanded on 2018 to address this pandemic in Dec 2019 when the WH first knew of it). 

So no..we really did not do all that we could. If anything, the Feds did as little as possible until they could not.

Edited by The Evil Genius
Typos
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, daveakl said:

Where are you at?  We were able to get one for our daughter who was exposed to another child that tested positive.

Nova, Fairfax Co. Further, even if you do have symptoms testing is prohibitively difficult. You have to schedule, sometimes a day or more out, then wait 3-5 days for results.

My wife had symptoms a couple months ago. Sore throat and general lack of energy. She called around and would have had to make an appointment for the next day. She just waited a day or so and they symptoms went away.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Its October and I STILL can’t get a Covid test unless I’m symptomatic.

WOW, it seems like they have been running testing stations here in SE WI since June, anyone can go get tested. I also think we have been a hot spot since June as well. Yesterday it was reported 3100 new cases in WI. The normal "cases are up because they are testing more" has been replaced with "well, it is cold and flu season". Cold, flu, covid...it's all the same in some people's eyes. Bonkers!

2 hours ago, bcl05 said:

Anyone who really thinks that this outcome is the best the US could have done.... I'm sorry, I just don't get it.

They’re the “the cure is worse than the disease” people. 

they aren’t using logic or anything based on reality. They’re just saying stuff then demanding we accept it as legitimate/sane thought

56 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Nova, Fairfax Co. Further, even if you do have symptoms testing is prohibitively difficult. You have to schedule, sometimes a day or more out, then wait 3-5 days for results.

Meanwhile I probably live less than 35-45 minutes from you and can go to a drive through test center any day of the week and have results within an hour

All because a third party footed the bill for it all. 

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Duh. Just play sports professionally or become a Trump sycophant politician.

Well, if you're a Trump sycophant politician, then you can get tested.  But it the results are positive, they won't tell you, because they don't want you to panic.  

29 minutes ago, tshile said:

Meanwhile I probably live less than 35-45 minutes from you and can go to a drive through test center any day of the week and have results within an hour

All because a third party footed the bill for it all. 

Maybe there IS an easier way in FFX Co. I haven’t looked for a test myself. But... all the local Facebook groups are inundated with posts asking how to get a quick test.

Why this **** isn’t county, state or federally run is a tragedy of error. A better executive administration would have been more prepared and acted more logically.

There is a proliferation of places offering the "quick" test - usually just a saliva or anterior nasal swab, with results in minutes to hours.  This test is not reliable enough to use as a diagnostic approach - only 50-60% of people with active infection will have a positive result.  Now, if we were using this kind of test in every person every day, that kind of sensitivity might be fine, but as a diagnostic test, it isn't good enough.  The deep nasal swab (posterior nasopharynx) with PCR has a far higher sensitivity.  People like it a lot less because its quite unpleasant (I've done it a few times - not painful, per se, but kind of like nails on a chalkboard at the base of your brain).  

The wide variability in the tests available and lack of clear guidance in when to use what test is one of many pathetic failures of the public health response to this pandemic. 

• Like 3

Unless there is a reversal in course at some point, this should be the last update to the tshile’s family gets covid saga. I appreciate all the good juju everyone passed along throughout :)

this was the third day in a row I’ve woken up and immediately thought: man I feel better than yesterday. 

wife is reintegrating fully to the family today. Moving back up stairs. No mask wearing. 

kids can go back to daycare Thursday. 

all in all, if it weren’t for the shortness of breath thing this was essentially a minor cold. But that shortness of breath thing was real and it was scary. Especially since you basically spend most of the time completely unsure if you’re getting better or worse. 

if you’re like I was and weren’t sure wtf shortness of breath means, then fear not. Should you get it you’ll have no problem realizing that’s what you have. 

also shout out to the good people in the world that make it a point to ask if they can help, and do help. Good neighbors are important in life. Those of you who are like my good neighbors and friends, you know who you are, thank you for being there for the people in your life when they need you :cheers:

Edited by tshile
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1