Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Just now, visionary said:

Nothing about it is unique. 

I'm not sure what you mean, but here's what I meant...

Even is statistics have shown a specific demographic to be much less at risk for whatever reason, plenty of media sources have run with a story of a single example of someone in that demographic being in critical condition. Suddenly it's a "see...even group X can be impacted!!" It's problematic on two levels:

1) No one has ever claimed that anyone is immune, but there are folks who are at less risk

2) An example in Arkansas of a 12-year old getting very sick from COVID still doesn't change what the numbers tell us...but if you show that on the news, people react!

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm not sure what you mean, but here's what I meant...

Even is statistics have shown a specific demographic to be much less at risk for whatever reason, plenty of media sources have run with a story of a single example of someone in that demographic being in critical condition. Suddenly it's a "see...even group X can be impacted!!" It's problematic on two levels:

1) No one has ever claimed that anyone is immune, but there are folks who are at less risk

2) An example in Arkansas of a 12-year old getting very sick from COVID still doesn't change what the numbers tell us...but if you show that on the news, people react!

You've been on the same downplaying track for most of this year.  It's tiresome.  

• Like 2

Agreed, how are we still only talking about individuals being "at risk"? It's that ~40% are asymptomatic spreaders who can easily transmit to those who are in danger, unawares. It's the failure to act as if we are responsible for the safety of others that is so damning for the anti-maskers and half-assers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

200,000 people dying from something in 7 months is pretty threatening and severe

Yes, it is. And I'm not trying to act like it's not a pandemic. But things can always be played up even more than they are. It's not really too challenging a thought...

Covid can both be serious and something to we should take steps to mitigate while also NOT being something as prevalent as the media is making it. 

6 minutes ago, visionary said:

You've been on the same downplaying track for most of this year.  It's tiresome.  

I suppose I have. I wear masks and take precautions, but I also don't avoid doing things. I don't like that these days you either have to be all the way on one side or the other. I can give it the proper respect, keep my family safe, and still realize it's not around every corner waiting to vaporize my lungs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Covid can both be serious and something to we should take steps to mitigate while also NOT being something as prevalent as the media is making it. 

I suppose I have. I wear masks and take precautions, but I also don't avoid doing things. I don't like that these days you either have to be all the way on one side or the other. I can give it the proper respect, keep my family safe, and still realize it's not around every corner waiting to vaporize my lungs. 

Sorry, if I'm being rude, I just don't have the patience for this right now.  It just feels like every time you have some complaint on this issue, you get corrected and then come back some time later with a different one.  

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mammajamma said:

I mean, over 200,000 people have died from it in 7 months... you can't really "overexaggerate" that. especially since its been shown that a large portion of those 200k wouldn't have died if people took it more seriously, and certain states didnt reopen as quickly as they did. but here we are again, doing the same thing

Some people feel completely safe playing Russian Roulette with only 1 bullet loaded in the six shooter. 

🙄

Then they choose to fire it into the crowd. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 3

After being pent up for 6 months and completely changing your life around is perfectly normal to want to do things that you used to do, even if they are risky.

Its also normal to have accepted the restrictions and want to Live as cautiously as normal.

I personally don’t ever think that we are going to be Covid free and it’s something that we will just have to accept. We can take all the precautions that we can, mask up everywhere, still have a risk.

Like this whole belief that the fall is going to make Covid spread. Well no, it won’t, as long as you’re wearing a mask and washing your hands like you’re supposed to. Stop telling people to mask up to stop the spread and then tell them, you know what, that doesn’t matter it’s still gonna get worse.

Try and have just and ounce of optimism. Christ.

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

After being pent up for 6 months and completely changing your life around is perfectly normal to want to do things that you used to do, even if they are risky.

Its also normal to have accepted the restrictions and want to Live as cautiously as normal.

I personally don’t ever think that we are going to be Covid free and it’s something that we will just have to accept. We can take all the precautions that we can, mask up everywhere, still have a risk.

Like this whole belief that the fall is going to make Covid spread. Well no, it won’t, as long as you’re wearing a mask and washing your hands like you’re supposed to. Stop telling people to mask up to stop the spread and then tell them, you know what, that doesn’t matter it’s still gonna get worse.

Is 6 months the only attention span you can give it? As for the winter, the major crisis is the upcoming twindemic. We already have a problem with people ignoring flu shots..pair that with covid-19 and this winter is going to be brutal.

Also..1/3 of American parents don't deserve their kids.

Ps...I believe optimism, like faith, has nothing to do with overcoming this. Americans need to hold fast, do their due diligence, and wait for science to save us. It will if we don't continue to **** this up and go bonkers after a small time period of lockdown. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I hear you, and I'd agree with you if everyone (or at least most people) did in fact wear masks and take precautions. The problem is getting people to wear masks and take precautions, and that's why people are freaking out over fall/winter. You have one of the most populated states reopening indoor bars and telling people masks arent necessary.. hard to have optimism that we'll make it through fall unscathed

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

I hear you, and I'd agree with you if everyone (or at least most people) did in fact wear masks and take precautions. The problem is getting people to wear masks and take precautions, and that's why people are freaking out over fall/winter. You have one of the most populated states reopening indoor bars and telling people masks arent necessary.. hard to have optimism that we'll make it through fall unscathed

GOP controlled States like Florida are going to be the reason why it'll be a brutal winter and we'll likely see a doubling of covid19 deaths by Xmas. 400k dead. 😟

Stop being a ****. Wear your mask. Avoid crowded areas. Don't go to parties/concerts/events. Stay home and survive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This virus is still spreading and killing.  We are seeing more locally than ever.   It is the fault of the morons out there socializing and acting like normal without masking.  

I'm too tired from seeing patients die of this to argue about whether it is real or not.  

The stupidity of too many Americans is tragic.  The anti-science anti-expert crowd has blood on their hands.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, bcl05 said:

This virus is still spreading and killing.  We are seeing more locally than ever.   It is the fault of the morons out there socializing and acting like normal without masking.  

I'm too tired from seeing patients die of this to argue about whether it is real or not.  

The stupidity of too many Americans is tragic.  The anti-science anti-expert crowd has blood on their hands.  

We truly live in the dumbest era of the modern age. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

We truly live in the dumbest era of the modern age. 

that’s because you can look up what ever you want to know. Not what is true. What you want to know. There is a google page full of results that verify the earth is flat, along with the “data” to show it.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I'm sorry but anyone or source using the term "twindemic" is doing absolutely nothing but fear mongering.

I agree.

If anything, we’ve been told since March, is that the flu isn’t all that bad compared to Covid.

Also, I got my flu shot already because I’m not a stupid piece of ****.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

I agree.

If anything, we’ve been told since March, is that the flu isn’t all that bad compared to Covid.

Yeah, the term "twindemic" would mean that there are 2 pandemics at once.

So now the annual flu season is a pandemic?

GTFO.

2 hours ago, visionary said:

Sorry, if I'm being rude, I just don't have the patience for this right now.  It just feels like every time you have some complaint on this issue, you get corrected and then come back some time later with a different one.  

I don't consider that rude. I just don't agree that the pandemic can't both be legitimate and not nearly as huge a threat as the media likes to make it. I'm honestly a little surprised that's such an outlandish stance in your eyes. 

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Here is what optimism gets you.

Perfect example...an anecdotal account of a 37-year old who passed away even though it's still very unlikely to happen to people in his demographic. 

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

I'm sorry but anyone or source using the term "twindemic" is doing absolutely nothing but fear mongering.

49 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I agree.

47 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Yeah, the term "twindemic" would mean that there are 2 pandemics at once.

So now the annual flu season is a pandemic?

GTFO.

I work for a state health department and it's used widely there. Alone, the seasonal flu is deadly enough (but not covid-19 deadly). Coupled with an ongoing pandemic the potential should scare the **** out of anyone. The fact that you or others piss if off as fear mongering is sad. But it won't stop me for encouraging anyone and everyone to get their flu shots, to do the proper safeguards, and to stick to the plan. 

There were only a few of us on the thread in the first 10 pages who took this seriously.  There was also many posters who though it was media fear mongering and/or a joke.

31 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Perfect example...an anecdotal account of a 37-year old who passed away even though it's still very unlikely to happen to people in his demographic. 

The long term lung damage to survivors in that age range is unknown. But sure, let's dismiss everyone in that age range. None of them are already compromised with minor and major health problems like asthma and obesity. So none of them will likely die or suffer life long damage from getting it. 

• Thanks 4