Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

18 minutes ago, visionary said:

This needs to be plastered all over the ****ing country.

It just completely ****ing baffles my mind how these politicians think they know more than the scientists who have been studying this stuff for 40+ years.  

Why do you take your car to the mechanic?  Why do call roofers to install your new roof?  Why do you go to the doctors when you are sick?

BECAUSE THEY KNOW MORE ABOUT THE PROBLEM THAN YOU DO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There seem to be lots of stories nowadays about opponents of masks, or people who downplayed COVID-19 who then subsequently catch it.  I don't feel sorry for any of these people.  More accurate would be to say I experience shadenfreude.

• Like 2

i just caught the very end of great leader's presser as he apparently cut it short unexpectedly, but he had just announced he may over-rule the fda on when the vaccine will be approved because he "doesn't see any reason why one shouldn't be ready" and that he thinks they're "playing some kind of politics:"

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

i just caught the very end of great leader's presser as he apparently cut it short unexpectedly, but he had just announced he may over-rule the fda on when the vaccine will be approved because he "doesn't see any reason why one shouldn't be ready" and that he thinks they're "playing some kind of politics:"

As someone who used to work in the biopharmaceutical industry I have already posted my thoughts on how his administration is destroying the FDA.   Here he would be circumventing them altogether for his own political gain, with no regard for the possible adverse safety impacts.  He's a moron.  But what's worse is that his ignorance and hubris is dangerous and could likely get people killed.  As others have said, when adverse events happen when an inadequately vetted vaccine is used, people will lose confidence.  Then when a properly tested and effective vaccine is available, people will hesitate to get it, or not get it at all.  Dangerous.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Johnson & Johnson's coronavirus vaccine is fourth to begin Phase 3 trials in the United States

Johnson & Johnson's Covid-19 vaccine candidate begins Phase 3 trials in the United States today. Trials for the single-dose vaccine will include up to 60,000 adult participants at nearly 215 sites in the US and internationally.

Phase 3 trials will begin immediately, with the first participants receiving doses on Wednesday, Johnson & Johnson Chief Scientific Officer Dr. Paul Stoffels said on a call with reporters. The vaccine candidate was developed by Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson.

Johnson & Johnson is now the fourth company to begin large-scale clinical trials for a Covid-19 vaccine in the United States, behind Moderna, Pfizer/BioNTech and AstraZeneca.

While the other vaccine candidates require two doses, Johnson & Johnson's candidate will be studied as a single-dose vaccine, which should expedite results, said Stoffels.

"We're convinced that a single dose could be very efficacious," said Stoffels.

Initial findings from the vaccine's Phase 1/2 trials in the United States and Belgium suggest that a single dose of the vaccine provokes an immune response and is safe enough to move into large-scale trials. 

Click on the link for the full article

FOX NEWS CONVINCED THEM COVID WAS FAKE. THEN THEY GOT SICK.

‘I have no doubt that President Trump and Fox News have caused people to die.’ This is what it’s like to lose your dad twice — first to Rush Limbaugh, then to the ICU as he battles a disease he believes is a hoax.

As much as she begged her dad to take the pandemic seriously, she felt powerless against “the barrage of information coming out of Fox News” that he spent his days consuming. Not long after the pandemic began, her dad started traveling and going out to eat without a mask on. Unsurprisingly, he quickly became sick — so sick he was too weak to eat or drink water. Yet he remained in denial that it was COVID, and refused to get tested or go to the hospital. Ann did all she could from out of state and checked in with him multiple times a day, seeing to it that he hydrated and ate something when she did.

“He worked in hospitals my entire life, so he clearly understood safety measures, because he had taught them to us as kids,” Ann tells me. “But the barrage of information coming out of the president and Fox News, especially in the early days, was that [COVID] was like a flu and wasn’t particularly dangerous to regular people.”

“The constant bombardment of non-fact-based information seems benign enough until it’s about something like COVID-19. This is a life-or-death situation, yet they’re taking advantage of people who trust them and politicizing the virus for their own gain.”

“I’m a staunch advocate for the First Amendment, but there’s a limit to what a media outlet should be allowed to say, and I think that limit is crossed when people start to die,” explains Arthur West, board member and spokesman for the Washington League for Increased Transparency and Ethics — or WASHLITE — who filed a lawsuit against Fox News in early April.

However, a Seattle judge dismissed WASHLITE’s case on the basis that the group’s “assertions do not hold up to scrutiny.” “We tried to argue that the Constitution wasn’t a suicide pact, but it looks like many people interpret it more like it is,” West says, adding that WASHLITE is in the process of filing an appeal. “Under the guise of the First Amendment, Fox News can broadcast whatever they want to 87 million households every day, information that isn’t only injurious, but potentially deadly. When we originally filed the case, there were only about 4,000 Americans dead, and I don’t think we could have even imagined how bad it was going to get,” he says.

• Sad 1

People without Covid symptoms 'more infectious than we thought' claims latest study

A university in South Korea has published a worrying study that suggests asymptomatic Covid-19 carriers are actually spreading the virus at a much greater rate than previously thought. 

World Health Organisation figures suggest that while 5% of Covid-19 infections are very serious, with patients requiring a ventilator if they’re to survive, around 80% of cases are mild or asymptomatic.

Now a study suggests that people with the bug can carry on with their lives unaware that anything is wrong.

But a new study from the University of Ulsan College of Medicine in South Korea shows that these ‘perfectly healthy’ Covid carriers can be as infectious as more severe cases.

The work confirms earlier work done by a team led by Jeffrey Shaman at Columbia University in New York who traced the original outbreak in Wuhan, China.

Coronavirus cases rise in 22 states

The coronavirus is surging once again across the U.S., with cases rising in 22 states over the past week.

The big picture: There isn't one big event or sudden occurrence that explains this increase. We simply have never done a very good job containing the virus, despite losing 200,000 lives in just the past six months, and this is what that persistent failure looks like.

By the numbers: The U.S. is now averaging roughly 43,000 new cases per day, a 16% increase from a week ago.

- The biggest increases are largely concentrated in the West and Midwest, though Maine and New Jersey also saw their new infections tick up over the past week.
 - Seven states — Arizona, Colorado, Minnesota, Montana, Texas, Utah and Wyoming — saw their daily infections rise by at least 60% over the past week.

Testing was up by almost 22% over the same period. The U.S. is now conducting about 860,000 coronavirus tests per day.

What's next: There's every reason to believe the next several months will be a particularly high-risk period.

- Colder weather will cause people to move indoors, where the virus spreads more easily. People will travel and see friends and family over the holidays. Mask adherence is already only so-so. And flu season will set in at the same time.
 - The best way to manage that risk is to enter into it with a low number of cases.
 - The NIH's Anthony Fauci has said cases should ideally be below 10,000 per day heading into the fall. But we haven't been able to consistently keep them under 40,000.

Virginia Governor Ralph Northam and his wife test postive for COVID.

Northam has no symptoms, while Pamela Northam has mild symptoms.

The governor released the following statement:

As I’ve been reminding Virginians throughout this crisis, COVID-19 is very real and very contagious. The safety and health of our staff and close contacts is of utmost importance to Pam and me, and we are working closely with the Department of Health to ensure that everyone is well taken care of. We are grateful for your thoughts and support, but the best thing you can do for us—and most importantly, for your fellow Virginians—is to take this seriously.”

https://wtop.com/virginia/2020/09/virginias-governor-wife-test-positive-for-coronavirus/