Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

2 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

I am wondering how we will react as a Nation this fall.  Clearly, the president is only worried about the stock market. he doesn't give a damn about the economy. 

Depends on how much of an ass kicking it is at the polls.  Believe a lot of people will realize step one is that, then conversation is all the legal measures to get him out.

People will be fed up enough I can see folks pushing for 25th amendment after the election to let Pence finish out the term and do the transition team with Biden because Trump won't.

As many people came outside for the protests, I'm no longer concerned if they are angry enough to go vote despite the virus risk.  This is me being optimistic.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I mean, states are down playing new infections, the media has moved on, and people want to go out....

i mean, lot of states aren't playing it down but are doing the opposite, lots of the media still covers coivd-19 every day a lot (this really needs to be pointed out?) and while almost everyone wants to "go out" of course,  a lot of smart decent informed people are very concerned about going out and are very cautious about it, but many of them will go out cautiously and thoughtfully, caring very much about themselves and others practicing the basic safety measures which many of the trump supporters in particular are rejecting

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Someone posted here that Florida was downplaying there numbers, Virginia changed how they measure progression of the deadest, and added antibody test to lower the percent infected.... on top of that there is a new report every day about how cases are under reported.

i don’t have high hopes people are ready/willing to shut down again.

8 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Someone posted here that Florida was downplaying there numbers, Virginia changed how they measure progression of the deadest, and added antibody test to lower the percent infected.... on top of that there is a new report every day about how cases are under reported.

i understand a lack of hope re: willingness for many, but if it goes like it is increasingly, i think the force to dial things back down will be greater

• Like 1

The only way I see we shut down again is if another NY situation sprouts up, which is very possible. And even in that case I think it would be only that state, and maybe it’s surrounding states.  Otherwise these guys are full steam ahead with pretending this thing is NOT a thing. They’ve got a large swath of people out there saying Covid is over, it’s no biggie. Eventually this tune may change if enough people get sick, hospitalized, or die.  But until then they will continue to obfuscate and deny deny deny.

• Like 1

If there are shut downs again, I'd bet they are more targeted than the last time.  Counties and cities more likely than entire states.  People endured the first shut down, but the risk of social unrest exists and can explode at any moment if the public isn't on board and the government pushes the issue. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I mean, states are down playing new infections, the media has moved on, and people want to go out....

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Hmmm...

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

You also had GA falsely report their trends by chart manipulation - they ordered the chart by number of incidents instead of by date. They got caught. But if they are willing to do that, what else is a lie? I find it awful convenient that despite being the first state to "reopen" the number of new cases has stayed relatively flat, although at least some part of that is the mayor of Atlanta. She was way ahead of our idiot governor in the lockdown and has been careful about reopening. 

However, I agree there is very little likelihood that there is anything approaching the shutdown we just had, at least as long as this president is in office. And if we have a change there will be a standoff between states with republican governors and the new president. It will be interesting to see what happens. But I do not see this ending well for anyone. 

• Like 1

If there’s a shutdown again, it will only be in blue areas. 

Red areas will ride it out. Only way they shutdown is if the amount of people dying can’t be ignored. Basically, it will have to be guaranteed death from COVID before, they would even consider closing things again.

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Red areas will ride it out.

The phrase "ride it out" implies a buildup to a peak, followed relatively quickly by a decline. 

I'm not sure we're even remotely close to a peak. I think the two studies I've seen that spoke about entire populations both said the number of infections is about 5% of the population. Implies to me that if our official plan is "pretend it doesn't exist, and eventually everybody will have had it" is based on infection numbers 19 times bigger than whet we've seen. 

29 minutes ago, Larry said:

The phrase "ride it out" implies a buildup to a peak, followed relatively quickly by a decline. 

I'm not sure we're even remotely close to a peak. I think the two studies I've seen that spoke about entire populations both said the number of infections is about 5% of the population. Implies to me that if our official plan is "pretend it doesn't exist, and eventually everybody will have had it" is based on infection numbers 19 times bigger than whet we've seen. 

NO red state Governor is closing again, if they close at all; under Trump.  I would also suspect, they wouldn't close under Biden either.  Also, I think if Hillary was president; they would also buck her.

5 hours ago, China said:

Hmmm...

The media coverage certainly deemphasized their coverage of the corona virus for a few weeks.  They even switched the sentiment of mass gatherings from “irresponsible” to “brave“.