Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

It's interesting because I see a few of my preconceptions are wrong if that chart is correct.  I didn't realize Parkinsons kills so many.  Also, I find it interesting that alcohol (a drug) and drugs if combined would rank 5th behind Covid, malaria, malnutrition and murder.  When one thinks about that top 5, we really do go out of our way as a species to kill ourselves. 

We have malaria drugs to lower the impact of it, and we have various ways to address mosquito populations. 

We have enough food.  We just don't distribute it.  Heck, we even pay farmers not to farm here in the U.S.

Murder...well that is obviously us killing each other. 

Covid...well obviously social distancing helps, but it requires a discipline I am not convinced enough of us will show over the next few years.

• Sad 1

On 5/28/2020 at 11:24 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/2562261/

Visualization chart of how Covid has ramped up since January.  Not sure where the stats pull from though but it seems like the Covid stats are accurate.

On 5/28/2020 at 11:31 AM, China said:

One thing I got from that was the realization that I had no idea how many people around the world are dying from malaria.

I feel like I'm having deja vu.

4 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/2634167/?fbclid=IwAR3fztM7zOTcSF9S5YjC3UnrO5CHTuRQRO20-Yq61vA2YSzIyFMGC1P25hc

This is a running bar graph that shows the leading cause of death numbers for this year and how corona deaths have surged.  Striking.

22 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I didn’t realize how many people still die from malaria. Tragic. 

• Haha 3

On 6/9/2020 at 9:55 AM, Hersh said:

So now the WHO is walking back what they said yesterday. 🤦🏻

Amid confusion, WHO clarifies that COVID-19 can be spread without symptoms

A World Health Organization expert clarified Tuesday that the coronavirus can be spread by people who show no symptoms, a day after sparking widespread confusion by saying that such asymptomatic spread of COVID-19 was "very rare."

Scientists around the world pushed back against the statement Monday by one of the WHO's top epidemiology experts, Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, leading to the unusual backtracking by the organization a day later.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 2:37 PM, China said:

Well right now were down to about 500 deaths per day.  If that holds we'd end up with another 81,000 dead.  If we get a second wave and the average daily deaths go back up then I would expect it to be higher and we might hit the quarter million mark.

On 5/26/2020 at 2:58 PM, Califan007 said:

That was just yesterday. Most weekdays will most likely be between 1,000-1,500 for awhile.

Currently at over 114,000 deaths.  I see we are 146 days away from election day.  Back up over 1000 deaths yesterday.  At that rate (especially with a second wave starting) we could still hit the quarter million mark by election day.  

• Sad 2

Here Are the States Where Coronavirus Is Still Getting Worse

On Monday, the former epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in the United States began the first phase of its reopening. With New York City finally beginning to ease out of lockdown, it’s tempting to think that the virus is behind us. Indeed, millions of Americans seem to be behaving as if it is. But in some states, the data is discouraging.

It’s not just that the number of positive cases continues to rise; that was expected with the availability of widespread testing. In some places, hospitalizations are increasing too, though none of the states below are seeing anywhere near the level of infections that New York City saw at its peak.

This is all taking place amid the backdrop of civil unrest in some American cities, which is bringing people into uncomfortably close contact with one another, and the loosening of restrictions meant to slow the virus’s spread. Meanwhile, the spike in some states appears to be attributable to gatherings that took place over Memorial Day.

More than 100 days after the first coronavirus case was diagnosed in the U.S., here are the states where things are still getting worse:

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Florida

Mississippi

North Carolina

South Carolina

Texas

Utah

3 hours ago, China said:

Currently at over 114,000 deaths.  I see we are 146 days away from election day.  Back up over 1000 deaths yesterday.  At that rate (especially with a second wave starting) we could still hit the quarter million mark by election day.  

Apparently the expert at Harvard agrees:

A Harvard health expert predicts an additional 100,000 US coronavirus deaths by September

A Harvard health expert said he expects an additional 100,000 deaths in the US by September. 

Dr. Ashish Jha, the director of the Harvard Global Health Institute, told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that the current data shows that somewhere between 800 to 1,000 Americans are dying from the virus daily, and even if that does not increase, the US is poised to cross 200,000 deaths sometime in September.

4 hours ago, China said:

Damn...I'm almost speechless thinking about it.

And Trump will try and sell it as him having done a great job because it's not the 2.5M "they" predicted before the pandemic started. He will also blame the high death count on Obama and China (not you lol). None of his supporters will figure out he's claiming the death count is due to him having done a great job, AND that it's due to Obama/China.

4 hours ago, China said:

I wish there would be a push to demand more accurate data from the states that clearly intentionally under reported Covid deaths in favor of spikes of pneumonia. By election time, if any part of Covid is cyclical, we will see even higher death rates in October. 

• Thanks 1

I hate that I predicted 200k dead and thought I was being pessimistic.  Everyone kept pointing at the death rates and saying, "See.  It would take years to reach that number.  There is no way this goes on that long."  Well, we are well over half way, and my family remains isolated even as all of their friends start to resume activities.  My oldest son's jujitsu gym is opening back up, but we aren't going to let him go back for awhile yet.  The idea of close proximity wrestling with dozens of others seems a foolish risk.  However, that is one foolish risk amongst dozens as society opens back up right into the teeth of rising numbers of sick again.   

Edited by gbear

15 hours ago, Larry said:

So, our plan is to stimulate the economy by filling up those empty hospital beds. 

I know you're being sarcastic but I like to emphasis what many may or may not know. 

Almost 20% of our GDP goes to healthcare (excluding insurance premiums). Many of these COIVD-19 patients hospitalized are Medicare, underinsured or uninsured. This is disastrous for health care institutions and the medicare invoice, well, is on us. Further, many of these severe hospitalizations are accumulating in the weeks for hospitalization length of stay and need extensive aftercare.

I saw that Sweden's economy suffered similar to the rest of EU, regardless of the relaxed restrictions. I imagine it's accurate because many people probably are going to self quarantine in the early phases of a pandemic, or at very least reduce the amount of 'consumerism' they normally have.

Unfortunately, our economy suffered and I hope for a recovery ASAP. However, if the healthcare industry collapses, there isn't that many plungers available to bail them out repeatedly. Basically, healthcare is perhaps the most important variable in our economy and many n the field lost their jobs while the hospitals and other institutions lost money. 

However, the insurance companies are making windfall profits with few claims (elective surgery, etc) and rolling premiums. America, I love it

Edited by Bonez3

Trump is getting his reopening even as the virus takes another swipe

President Donald Trump is getting what he wants: The country is opening up come what may, despite alarming indications that the coronavirus pandemic is intensifying its assault.

Trump says the virus is now reduced to just the "embers" and "ashes" of a spent pandemic as patience for nationwide lock downs fades and states aggressively open up.

The facts say the opposite. Another 1,299 Americans died on Tuesday and more than 112,000 people in the US have died from the disease. There are now more than 2 million confirmed cases in the United States.

Trump is not marking these deaths, just as he was reluctant to immediately honor the first 100,000 Americans who passed away before that terrible milestone was reached -- barely two weeks ago. And this is well before the feared fall resurgence of Covid-19, in the absence of reliable treatments and with a vaccine still months away.