Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

44 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If we got lucky and deaths went down to 700 per day we'd still be well over 200,000 by the end of October.

We have been under 700 per day (avg) for a little while now. Cases totals and hospitalizations have definitely gone up, but the total deaths per day has been steadily declining. 

17 minutes ago, daveakl said:

We have been under 700 per day (avg) for a little while now. Cases totals and hospitalizations have definitely gone up, but the total deaths per day has been steadily declining. 

According to worldometer there were multiple days of ~1000 deaths last week. Same the week before. 

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

According to worldometer there were multiple days of ~1000 deaths last week. Same the week before. 

Just to be clear I agree that the # of deaths is still dangerously high. And I am certain those numbers will increase significantly. You cannot have the increase in cases that we have seen and it not result in a corresponding increase in deaths without a cure being found - which so far I have not heard of anything credible. There is also the issue of some states reporting the deaths differently leading to intentional under-reporting. That is a different story. 

But in fairness the last time the death toll went over 1000 was June 9th. This is based on the Worldometer - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/   I checked a few other sources and they are all about the same place. Also, there is a definite overall decline from the peak in early May. If you have a different source please let me know. I would be very interested in seeing it. 

Again, it is virtually impossible for that to stay the same as the number of cases has been going up significantly including twice going about 30,000 for a single day june 19 and 20 - so just a few days ago. The lag has been about 3 weeks. There has been a lowering of deaths per cases found. Most of that is likely due to increased testing finding more mild cases.  But make no mistake - the number of deaths will go up without a cure. 

The bottom line is this has been mishandled from day one by this administration. And they show no signs of understanding the danger of this virus and the need for federal government leadership to help navigate through the pandemic. Mr Oblivious is more interested in his rallies - at all costs, even human lives.  

• Like 1

Nice, we set a new record!

WHO reports highest single-day increase in confirmed coronavirus cases

The World Health Organization on Sunday reported the pandemic's largest single-day increase of confirmed coronavirus cases, with more than 183,000 cases reported in the last 24 hours, according to AP.

Why it matters: The staggering number of new cases underscores the degree to which the pandemic is accelerating worldwide, not slowing down.

By the numbers: Brazil, the epicenter of the virus in the Southern Hemisphere, reported 54,771 new cases, while the United States reported 36,617. India reported 15,400 cases, bringing the total global case count as of Sunday evening to over 8.7 million.

461,000 people have died from the coronavirus, with more than two-thirds of new deaths coming from North and South America, per AP.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

Couple of things.

Worldometer, while a useful tool, has some serious flaws in how it collects and reports data. 

The large increase is cases is 20-40yo which also explains why the amount of infections is climbing but not the # of deaths.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Just to be clear I agree that the # of deaths is still dangerously high. And I am certain those numbers will increase significantly. You cannot have the increase in cases that we have seen and it not result in a corresponding increase in deaths without a cure being found - which so far I have not heard of anything credible. There is also the issue of some states reporting the deaths differently leading to intentional under-reporting. That is a different story. 

But in fairness the last time the death toll went over 1000 was June 9th. This is based on the Worldometer - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/   I checked a few other sources and they are all about the same place. Also, there is a definite overall decline from the peak in early May. If you have a different source please let me know. I would be very interested in seeing it. 

Again, it is virtually impossible for that to stay the same as the number of cases has been going up significantly including twice going about 30,000 for a single day june 19 and 20 - so just a few days ago. The lag has been about 3 weeks. There has been a lowering of deaths per cases found. Most of that is likely due to increased testing finding more mild cases.  But make no mistake - the number of deaths will go up without a cure. 

The bottom line is this has been mishandled from day one by this administration. And they show no signs of understanding the danger of this virus and the need for federal government leadership to help navigate through the pandemic. Mr Oblivious is more interested in his rallies - at all costs, even human lives.  

You're correct. I was mistaken about the 1000 per day number. I was going on memory and I thought I saw multiple days last week with it at or near 1000. Sorry about that, my bad. I certainly hope this slight downward trend continues...unfortunately given the circumstances I'm not overly optimistic. 

• Like 3

Here are 9 hand sanitizers that the FDA warns can be toxic if absorbed by the body

The Food and Drug Administration over the weekend issued a warning on nine alcohol-based hand sanitizers manufactured by Eskbiochem SA de CV in Mexico that it says contain wood methanol, a toxic substance that could ultimately result in death of absorbed through the skin or ingested.

“Consumers who have been exposed to hand sanitizer containing methanol should seek immediate treatment, which is critical for potential reversal of toxic effects of methanol poisoning,” the FDA wrote on June 19.

“Substantial methanol exposure can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death,” the report indicated. The agency said the risk of possible ingestion centered mostly on young children or adolescents who might use alcohol-based sanitizers as a substitute for grain alcohol.

Here are a list of the hand sanitizers manufactured by Eskbiochem:

- All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)
- Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)
- The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)

- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)

The FDA warnings comes as the coronavirus crisis has ramped up demand for hand sanitizer across the globe. 

• Like 1

I had a shot of tequila in Cuernavaca on my birthday back in the day that damn near killed me.  Wished I was dead anyhow.  Pretty sure it was methanol as it's not uncommon for them to doctor the booze in tourist spots down there. If they are going to do that, putting it in hand sanitizer seems tame. 

Edited by KAOSkins

N.Y.C. Hired 3,000 Workers for Contact Tracing. It’s Off to a Slow Start.

New York City’s ambitious contact-tracing program, a crucial initiative in the effort to curb the coronavirus, has gotten off to a worrisome start just as the city’s reopening enters a new phase on Monday, with outdoor dining, in-store shopping and office work resuming.

The city has hired 3,000 disease detectives and case monitors, who are supposed to identify anyone who has come into contact with the hundreds of people who are still testing positive for the virus in the city every day. But the first statistics from the program, which began on June 1, indicate that tracers are often unable to locate infected people or gather information from them.

Only 35 percent of the 5,347 city residents who tested positive or were presumed positive for the coronavirus in the program’s first two weeks gave information about close contacts to tracers, the city said in releasing the first statistics. The number ticked up slightly, to 42 percent, during the third week, Avery Cohen, a spokeswoman to Mayor Bill de Blasio, said on Sunday.

Contact tracing is one of the few tools that public health officials have to fight Covid-19 in lieu of a vaccine, along with widespread testing and isolation of those exposed to the coronavirus. The early results of New York’s program raise fresh concerns about the difficulties in preventing a surge of new cases as states across the country reopen.

3 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Probably why you shouldn't elect someone who's platform was they're a Trump toady. DeSantis loves juking the stats.

It's an excellent platform!

I'll tell you what to what you want to hear! Everything is better than it's ever been. Death/disease and poverty has eradicated.  God is good.

And if anyone tells you different, it can only be a do-nothing Democrats trying to sabotage your bliss!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Florida is in trouble.

Florida Passes 100,000 COVID-19 Cases

fla_0622_wide-dd3fb60d693dc72fd41492ea19

Florida has hit a grim milestone — passing 100,000 cases of the coronavirus. The latest report from the state's Department of Health adds 2,926 new infections to the total number of COVID-19 cases, which now stands at 100,217 with 3,173 deaths.

Along with Florida, six other states have registered more than 100,000 cases: New York, California, New Jersey, Illinois, Texas and Massachusetts.

Like some other states, Florida has seen a surge of COVID-19 infections in recent weeks. A new record high of 4,049 new cases was set Saturday. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has linked the rising number of cases to increased testing.

"What we've seen now has been a really significant increase in positive test results for people in the 20s and 30s," he said. 

The governor said he's concerned about another trend — the rising percentage of people who are testing positive for the virus. "That's evidence that there's transmission within those communities, particularly (among people) in the 20s and 30s," he said. A number of bars across the state closed temporarily last week after staff members and customers contracted COVID-19.

Meanwhile in GA - the standard bearer for opening first but not having any big increase in new cases yet look at who just went over 1000 new cases yesterday! This is Worldometer.  GA themselves report in a 7 day moving average - they do this to smooth out the peaks and make the number look lower than it is - still it reached almost 900 June 19th, the last day they claim to have full data. 

They are hiding that new cases are going up dramatically in GA because they do not want to admit our idiot governor opened things up too much. 

image.png.4f2e71ab8725b4bd9d913af4500bbec2.png

• Sad 1