Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

4 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

If you think it fits best there.  I don’t see a recent post from you in it though.

You are right, we should be talking about this in the Open Up thread.

Honestly, I fear it's going to end up in the one I jus posted, especially if Trump keeps egging them on, gasoline on the fire.

Edited by Renegade7

6 hours ago, Hersh said:

Voiding the debt we owe to China?? Oh, I'm sure that would be great for the markets and the borrowing power of the US. Hopefully someone is in there explaining how ****ing dumb that would be.

That's probably the one check we absolutely cannot cover. 

43 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

The sound was down, but the chyron said that the U of W study says at least 72K deaths by August 4. Um, even though the death rates should decrease at some point, we are still tallying 2K per day, so we should hit 72K by the early to mid part of next week. Why even bother displaying a chyron like that? Cable news is worthless!

I've been wondering this for a while with those UW models.  We were at 50k last week and their model had 66k by the end of August.  Then they pushed it to 74k.

Just saw the guy who reps that model on the CNN Special.  He said the 74k (which is a joke anyway), does not take into an account the loosening of restrictions.  It's gonna be awful. 

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Larry said:

I'd be curious as to how much further rope you think they need, before they've gone too far.  

Because of the guns. 

I get the guns being a big issue here.  But to my knowledge, guns are not banned in government buildings in Michigan.  If they were, I’d probably have supported breaking them up and issuing citations.  Everything else they were doing was an accepted (in my view) form of protest.  

**My own personal opinion should be that guns are not allowed in legislative buildings.  But a protest should be allowed, armed if the persons are legally allowed to own a gun, within ~100 feet of the buildings exterior as long as a path into and out of the building is accessible.**

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Buzzfeed: After One Tweet To President Trump, This Man Got $69 Million From New York For Ventilators

sub-buzz-155-1588178520-8.png?downsize=8

3 hours ago, zskins said:

But Trump has enabled a lot of the people who were staying low and out of sight though. 

When were they staying low and out of sight? When they bombed Oklahoma City in '94?  Centennial Park in '96? The countless mass shootings were had on a weekly basis the last decade? When were they staying low and out of sight?

There is this weird thing we Americans are doing in giving Trump credit for everything and thinking everything goes back to normal when he is gone. Normalcy wasn't healthy for us at all.

Edited by Supernatural24
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Supernatural24 said:

Buzzfeed: After One Tweet To President Trump, This Man Got $69 Million From New York For Ventilators

Seems to be just a bit of a logical disconnect between "President Trump" and "from New York".  

Some good tips in the article when the times comes....

Read this before you venture out in public

The best way to curb the spread of Covid-19 is to stay home if you can.

That's true even now that more than half of US states will start reopening nonessential businesses like salons, restaurants and gyms.
This isn't an immediate return to normalcy -- health officials have warned that reopening now could mean a resurgence of the virus.
So if you're reentering public spaces, it's imperative to do it safely.
Try not to visit them all, says Dr. Leana Wen, an emergency physician and visiting professor at George Washington University Milken Institute of Public Health.

She suggests you choose one of these nonessential places to visit, then avoid the rest to limit your exposures to other people. For instance, if you go to your polling place to vote, don't also go out to eat that night or to get your hair cut. The more public places you visit, the higher your likelihood of becoming infected or infecting others.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Supernatural24 said:

When were they staying low and out of sight? When they bombed Oklahoma City in '94?  Centennial Park in '96? The countless mass shootings were had on a weekly basis the last decade? When were they staying low and out of sight?

There is this weird thing we Americans are doing in giving Trump credit for everything and thinking everything goes back to normal when he is gone. Normalcy wasn't healthy for us at all.

So you are saying it has been over 20 years and nothing has happened until Trump then. 

No one has to give Trump credit for anything. He gives himself credit for everything instead. 

Trump said 'many people agree' with his racist tweets. These white supremacists certainly do

The Oath Keepers account tweeted that, under the U.S. Constitution, “the militia (that’s us) can be called forth ‘to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions.’ ... “All he [Trump] has to do is call us up. We WILL answer the call.” Other Oath Keeper tweets also hint at violence: One states that “their favorite rifle is the AR 15.”

By the way, things WILL go back to normal. Maybe not so much with the white supremacists now. 

Anyway, this is the wrong thread to talk about on this topic. 

I will be glad when the covid-19 is totally contained and will give credit to the actual people who are doing something good for humanity. Trump hasn't done **** so far that could have helped in less people dying but in fact he told people to kill themselves with Clorox instead! (Damn it! I hate giving Trump credit for the Clorox).

Edited by zskins

35 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Good God. My mom's a nurse,  I'm in food. 

I used one glove to pump gas, threw it in the trash. Two to grocery shop, after returning the cart, threw those away. 

Just be sensible, and keep washing your hands. 

Btw, anything from @Burgold??

I have pair of electrician gloves. I have another set in the trunk for pumping gas (a non-football friend (R.I.P.) while back gave me packers gloves, they are getting used now...lol). I have rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. You take off the gloves put them in trunk and spray alcohol on them. 

The Packers gloves are cloth but that is okay. I don't pump gas every day and the alcohol will dry up quick anyways. 

Don't use alcohol over 70%. The water is needed for the the alcohol to get into the virus to kill it. :)

IMG_20200411_162516.jpg

Edited by zskins
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Larry said:

Seems to be just a bit of a logical disconnect between "President Trump" and "from New York".  

You are 100% right, outside of this small detail:

A state official, speaking on background because he was not authorized to publicly discuss the terms of the deal, said New York entered into the contract with Oren-Pines at the direct recommendation of the White House coronavirus task force.

and this

It’s unclear how he came to the attention of the White House coronavirus task force, which was established in late January and has featured daily press briefings led by President Trump. The task force also confers regularly on the state of the pandemic, including the availability of ventilators, N95 masks, gowns, and other much-needed medical supplies around the country.

“The guy was recommended to us by the White House coronavirus task force because they were doing business with him as well,” said the New York state official. “I think everyone was genuinely trying to help each other out and get supplies.” The New York official added that he was unaware of whether Oren-Pines got a federal contract; federal databases show no record of any such deals.

none of that is defending Cuomo and New York for getting duped, but the White House recommenced them. I feel

comfortable saying that too.

Edited by Supernatural24

When JARED (who the **** is he exactly, other than a failure who married someone with a well-known name? ) said (in plain terms) "We're holding the States' stuff"...

It's over. Keep washing your hands. 

And remember what Bang's been saying. 

Revealed: 100,000 crew never made it off cruise ships amid coronavirus crisis

While most cruise ship passengers have now made it back to land, another crisis has been growing – with no safe haven in sight.

Around the world, more than 100,000 crew workers are still trapped on cruise ships, at least 50 of which have Covid-19 infections, a Guardian investigation has found. They are shut out of ports and banned from air travel that would allow them to return to their homes.

Many of these crew are quarantined in tiny cabins, and some have had their pay cut off. They have in effect become a nation of floating castaways, marooned on boats from the Galapagos Islands to Dubai port.

Many of the crew have only minimal communication with the outside world, making their situations hard to scrutinise. But at least 17 cruise ship workers are confirmed to have died from suspected Covid-19, and dozens more have had to be evacuated from ships and taken to hospital, the Guardian found.

“We all have family, we all want to go home,” said one crew member who has been isolating in his cabin onboard the MSC Seaview off South America for nearly a month, but is no longer being paid.

The worker, who spoke via the internet and asked not to be named for fear of losing his job, said crew were initially allowed to move about the ship freely, but have been told to remain in their cabins since a worker who had already left the ship tested positive for Covid-19.

“We have not received any information about when we’re going home or what they are doing to get crew members home,” said the worker. “We are just in the cabin like prisoners.”

Click on the link for the full article

Eye-opening South Korea study on Covid-19
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/30/opinions/eye-opening-south-korea-study-on-covid-19-sepkowitz/?hpt=ob_blogfooterold

.... Investigators then constructed a detailed map of who was and was not infected, demonstrating that the overwhelming majority of cases had worked on one side of the 11th floor in extremely close proximity. Overall, 43% of all workers on the 11th floor developed infection with an even higher proportion among those in the heavily affected wing.

Next, the South Korean team tested the families and housemates of the 97 people with infection. Of these, about 16% were positive for Covid-19. Very surprisingly, no cases were diagnosed in the 15 home contacts of cases with "pre-symptoms" (nothing at time of test but development soon thereafter) or no symptoms at any time. This also goes against the current thinking on transmission, which is that it occurs even before people show symptoms...

...Only by adopting this blueprint in its entirety can the vision of returning to a vibrant free-swinging nation be achieved. Trying to sneak back by ignoring the problem -- a pandemic that has killed more than 60,000 Americans in two months -- or by hoping that maybe it will go away if we eat this or drink that or don't spend so much time worrying -- will not only fail miserably, it will move us immediately back to the terrifying first weeks of March, when the sky actually felt like it was falling.

...More at the link above. 

Edited by zskins
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Good God. My mom's a nurse,  I'm in food. 

I used one glove to pump gas, threw it in the trash. Two to grocery shop, after returning the cart, threw those away. 

Just be sensible, and keep washing your hands. 

Btw, anything from @Burgold??

I’m here. Been mostly in the Stadium When I come to ES recently, seeking escapism. 

thanks from checking in. Familywise, all survived and are fully recovered except my brother-in-laws father who passed a few weeks ago. We think it was Covid related, but will never truly know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, zskins said:

Don't use alcohol over 70%. The water is needed for the the alcohol to get into the virus to kill it. :)

I can't tell if you're being serious.

Do you have a source for that? Doesn't sound right to me.

17 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I can't tell if you're being serious.

Do you have a source for that? Doesn't sound right to me.

My Microbiology textbook stated exactly that.  I didn't dig into looking for support, but that's what it said.  

• Thanks 1