Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

5 minutes ago, murphys4life said:

other that fuller all the guys we signed could have waited, they need to fill holes with real starters ,not sign these guys in the first 3 days of FA, we're 3-13 team and trying to create comp. with our guys that wouldn't start for good teams, the money we're spending is adding up, so when the draft is over and more cuts are made we'll be broke.

They are getting these guys at a good value.

There's another shopping window after the draft and before Training Camp. 

I will like to see how they attack the draft. It won't surprise me if they trade out of the number 2 spot.

1 minute ago, WilberMarshall said:

I will like to see how they attack the draft. It won't surprise me if they trade out of the number 2 spot.

And that'll be the cap on the worst off-season ever 

5 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

You are characterizing Ceratto offseasons, not Bruce Allen ones.  This is a very Bruce Allen offseason to this point.  Doesn't mean it won't pan out, but still...

Not really or not entirely.

Bruce's strategy was to low ball players we all heard of who were high potential, but cheap because they were higher injury risk. Bruce would have been all over Gurley.

Just now, WilberMarshall said:

IM all in  on Rivera ...but we getting spare parts ...ex panthers ... sure draft another chance ...Free agency isnt over ...help yourself at draft 

trade or sign  some starters  

6 minutes ago, tlazarchick31 said:

Yeah that's it. This will be the first staff in history to turn fringe roster players into all pros. Good God this fan base is so naive 

It is not about turning fringe players into all pros. Just competent pros! Such pros will win you more games than you will lose.

We have seen the Skins All Madden teams in March... finishing dead last when it counts. 

For what it’s worth... I bet we’re losing out on the more big name guys but we’re still executing the plan to build depth and get the roster turned over to Rivera’s guys.

The guys were signing aren’t going to break any records for how impressive they are. But this team had some glaring holes in depth and starters. I’ve always advocated for using FA to fill holes and draft BPA unless a big name that fits is available in FA that makes you better.

And that’s the approach we seem to be taking.

Nothing wrong with the approach other than it’s not exciting or splashy.

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Not really or not entirely.

Bruce's strategy was to low ball players we all heard of who were high potential, but cheap because they were higher injury risk. Bruce would have been all over Gurley.

That's a fair enough assessment, there just seems to be a contingent who are merging the two in their minds.

8 minutes ago, WilberMarshall said:

It is not about turning fringe players into all pros. Just competent pros! Such pros will win you more games than you will lose.

We have seen the Skins All Madden teams in March... finishing dead last when it counts. 

Well I hate to break it to you but a team full of competent players isn't going to win you anything more than 5 games 

13 minutes ago, WilberMarshall said:

and if they waited they would get even better value, and still have money if someone they really liked because available.

31 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I think Christian getting cut is more likely than him winning a starting job. Not that I'm giving up on him, but he hasn't shown much. I think you can pencil Lucas into swing tackle role, not a starter, and skins will try to bring in Penn, or a FA such as Peters, to fill starting LT.  Or maybe that guy who played LT for us for awhile who hasn't been moved yet, ole what's his name.

I agree.

naturally everything changes if we trade Trent or Dunbar. Any draft pick we get from either should be spent on an LT.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

For what it’s worth... I bet we’re losing out on the more big name guys but we’re still executing the plan to build depth and get the roster turned over to Rivera’s guys.

The guys were signing aren’t going to break any records for how impressive they are. But this team had some glaring holes in depth and starters. I’ve always advocated for using FA to fill holes and draft BPA unless a big name that fits is available in FA that makes you better.

And that’s the approach we seem to be taking.

Nothing wrong with the approach other than it’s not exciting or splashy.

The folks I take issue with are the ones who think it is the right approach specifically because it's not exciting or splashy, as if a karmic reversal is more important than fielding a team of better players than the year before.

I'm all in on Ron, and I'll try to learn from being primed by some of the reports before the off season opened.

Just now, Bifflog said:

That's a fair enough assessment, there just seems to be a contingent who are merging the two in their minds.

Yeah, I don't find the acquisitions inspired, but I can sort of understand the thinking.

We had a lot of rookies and first years last year who got their first chance and looked pretty good. Many flashed. I also think the coaching was bad and the playcalling even worse. So, I can see the coaches wanting to roll the dice a bit and see if they can shape a core from what's here. At the same time, they probably think that unless the free agent is absolutely top tier they don't want to tie themselves to him for 5-7 years. So, getting glue guys and blue collar, hungry guys might make more sense, especially in a year that's going to be about growing pains and not Super Bowl.

That said, I could see this team easily jump to 7-9 wins just due to better communication and better coaching. I could also imagine this being an awful season. So, I can understand the cautious approach to free agency. After all, we don't want to get stuck with players for years because we overpaid.

1 minute ago, Bifflog said:

The folks I take issue with are the ones who think it is the right approach specifically because it's not exciting or splashy, as if a karmic reversal is more important than fielding a team of better players than the year before.

I'm all in on Ron, and I'll try to learn from being primed by some of the reports before the off season opened.

Eh. I wouldn’t take issue with anyone grasping straws for positivity. And these guys may be “just depth”, but they will make the overall roster better. I do believe that. Are they going to move the needle so this team is in playoff contention? No. But they will be a piece of the puzzle. 

But I think the approach has been fine. They went after Amari hard. And lost. And likely have on others. That’s part of being the Redskins at the moment. Hopefully beefing up depth and drafting well changes our fortunes.

Just now, Burgold said:

Yeah, I don't find the acquisitions inspired, but I can sort of understand the thinking.

We had a lot of rookies and first years last year who got their first chance and looked pretty good. Many flashed. I also think the coaching was bad and the playcalling even worse. So, I can see the coaches wanting to roll the dice a bit and see if they can shape a core from what's here. At the same time, they probably think that unless the free agent is absolutely top tier they don't want to tie themselves to him for 5-7 years. So, getting glue guys and blue collar, hungry guys might make more sense, especially in a year that's going to be about growing pains and not Super Bowl.

That said, I could see this team easily jump to 7-9 wins just due to better communication and better coaching. I could also imagine this being an awful season. So, I can understand the cautious approach to free agency. After all, we don't want to get stuck with players for years because we overpaid.

I just want a team that keeps spending the entirety of the salary cap to try and get better, whether that is this year or next.  I don't think we want an owner convinced he can start being super cheap because the fanbase will find virtue in it.

1 minute ago, Bifflog said:

I just want a team that keeps spending the entirety of the salary cap to try and get better, whether that is this year or next.  I don't think we want an owner convinced he can start being super cheap because the fanbase will find virtue in it.

I disagree there. The best available now doesn't equal the best. I don't want to spend just to spend, especially if that means missing out on someone we really need next year or becoming unable to re-sign one of our own.

Spending for great is great. Spending for good is okay. Spending itself... meh.

24 minutes ago, WilberMarshall said:

I think Young is the pick at #2 overall but it wouldn't surprise me to see them trade down in the 3rd and 4th or 5th rounds with early picks in each of them.

Sorry but if a coach isn't trying to field the best team possible every year than I dont want him as my coach. This let's see if we can turn this mud into a house approach and we suck so what it's year 1 approach is dumb. Youre telling me you couldn't fill one need?  Not one?  And no I don't buy they are losing out because they are the Redskins. Keim reported they weren't in on Hooper, Jones or Bradberry. Jones and Hooper took top dollar. Going 11.5 or 12 for Hooper to fill our desperate need at TE wasn't hard. It's not like we needed another 10 million. What's .5 to 1 million overall. A drop in the bucket. 

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I disagree there. The best available now doesn't equal the best. I don't want to spend just to spend, especially if that means missing out on someone we really need next year or becoming unable to re-sign one of our own.

Spending for great is great. Spending for good is okay. Spending itself... meh.

Not exactly what I meant, I am cool with rolling over cap money if we decide at any given time there's no one worth spending on, what I wouldn't be cool with is routinely cruising well under the cap as a matter of principle, because all that leads to is more in Dan's pocket; not scrappier, or hungrier players, but worse ones.  Not saying that's what they're looking to do either.  Little bit in the weeds, but just wanted to clarify.

1 minute ago, tlazarchick31 said:

Sorry but if a coach isn't trying to field the best team possible every year than I dont want him as my coach. This let's see if we can turn this mud into a house approach and we suck so what it's year 1 approach is dumb. Youre telling me you couldn't fill one need?  Not one?  And no I don't buy they are losing out because they are the Redskins. Keim reported they weren't in on Hooper, Jones or Bradberry. Jones and Hooper took top dollar. Going 11.5 or 12 for Hooper to fill our desperate need at TE wasn't hard. It's not like we needed another 10 million. What's .5 to 1 million overall. A drop in the bucket. 

They didn’t fill a need? CB2? FS? OLB? OL depth? 

those aren’t needs? 

Or they aren’t flashy needs?

No one is saying this team is now a Super Bowl contender. But to build a team you have to have a base. We have no base. It’s a very weak and injured roster. Replacing depth is important, even if you don’t think so.

Archived