Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

5 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Why couldn't the team signing him absorb some of that to make the trade work?  Is there something that says the accelerated bonuses that hit the Rams cap cant be absorbed by the team trading for him?

As far as I know the team that paid out the signing bonus absorbs the cap hit for any prorated portion still left to account for - you can't trade that with the player.

9 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@PartyPosse Look ... Many have said that the LT market is waiting for the Trent domino to fall. There really weren't / aren't great FA options at LT unless you want to plug a Donal Penn in and draft a young guy in the mid rounds to compete and hope to get a stud in the 2021 draft. Daryl Williams could be a versatile T/G option too, but he may be a bit more pricey. He was with Carolina last year.

I think we are going with Chase Young at 2. But any form of trade-down will surely address LT. So I am not freaking out about that yet and I have been resigned to the fact that LT will be a bit of an issue this year. No getting around it. Best case scenario is Daryl Williams + a 2nd or 3rd with the TW trade.

And then there's this ... which would obviously change ... everything ... but a lot to unfold on that front.

Keim has said multiple times whatever they do or don't do in FA has no effect on what we do with the draft.  That said trading down from 2 would put the cap on a terrible off-season so far 

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Kelvin Beachum is still out there - but I agree LT is a concern.

Rest of the line is set Martin at LG, Roulier at C, Scherff at RG and Moses at RT.

Schwetzer will compete for the LG spot and provider depth at LG/C/RG. Tackle depth is horrible though.

And tbh, I’d be ok with Beachum for a one or two year stopgap. We have the money to pay him upfront so take advantage of that until you can beef up the line through the draft. Moses is getting worse and worse as the years go on and with a low dead cap hit, I expect this to be his last year unless they can restructure him. Same issue with Scherff. I’m under no impression that we’re planning on signing him and the fact we gave him the non-exclusive tag let’s him negotiate with other teams. Right now our two best linemen are out there trying to find deals with other teams. What’s the line going to look like next year if Scherff isn’t signed long term? A scary proposition. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Play dynasty, McKissic is one of those guys that started bubbling up in PPR leagues as a nice emergency bench replacement. Nothing special, just a really sound satellite back/depth guy.

I wonder if he's there so they can ease in Guice/Love in terms of touches and responsibilities? He's a good player, just seems like we're good at RB. 

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

If Dwayne has an average year but gets sacked 50 times (plus pressured about 200 times more), have we really learned anything? It’s like continually giving Jay Gruden a pass because the team was constantly injured.

I am chiefly concerned about Dwayne's development. The OL is the primary spot at which I want to improve. But in the absence of being able to acquire talent to get that done, we may just have to be okay with trying to surround him with playmakers. How we get there, Idk, but we have time to see it unfold.

And then there's the possibility that we are picking at 5+18 or 9+20 ... where we can add a premier OT prospect. So, lot of time to go.

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

And that’s fine. I’m not expecting to find another elite talent like Trent to replace him, but right now the entire offense, particularly DH is in evaluation mode and it’s going to be incredibly hard to evaluate what we have without competent line play. I don’t mind the idea of overpaying for a LT even if he’s average. We need bodies there because right now it’s Geron’s job to protect Dwayne’s blindside. Think about that. It’s almost like Ron is purposely getting these Bargain basement pass catchers out of the backfield (like Macissac) and neglecting the line to almost teach Dwayne to get rid of the ball quicker. 

If Dwayne has an average year but gets sacked 50 times (plus pressured about 200 times more), have we really learned anything? It’s like continually giving Jay Gruden a pass because the team was constantly injured.

And this is my problem. He will end up showing flashes but no real answer because he will be running for his life. We will be having the same debate next year all over. It's like wasting a year with him. 

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I am chiefly concerned about Dwayne's development. The OL is the primary spot at which I want to improve. But in the absence of being able to acquire talent to get that done, we may just have to be okay with trying to surround him with playmakers. How we get there, Idk, but we have time to see it unfold.

And then there's the possibility that we are picking at 5+18 or 9+20 ... where we can add a premier OT prospect. So, lot of time to go.

We’ve seen teams do that time and time again, ignore the line and just give a QB so many weapons that it’s impossible he can’t find someone. It doesn’t work, and it sure as **** won’t work with a young QB still learning how to process reads.

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We are picking at 2

Just now, tlazarchick31 said:

We are picking at 2

Right. AND that is my preference. I want Chase. Badly.

But I am not in control of the team. And there's a chance Ron and Kyle choose to accept a trade that gets us multiple picks. That was my point.

Trent Williams + 2 to the Dolphins for 5, 18, 39, 56 and a 2021 1st. is certainly a possibility.

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Right. AND that is my preference. I want Chase. Badly.

But I am not in control of the team. And there's a chance Ron and Kyle choose to accept a trade that gets us multiple picks. That was my point.

Trent Williams + 2 to the Dolphins for 5, 18, 39, 56 and a 2021 1st. is certainly a possibility.

so three 1sts and two 2nds for #2 overall and Trent Williams? 

Sounds like a lot for Miami to pay???

8 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

read the article. He stayed out last year to get healthy.... 

He’s also 32. Does any of us expect Trent to be completely injury free from here on out? I certainly don’t.

Once an athlete’s body starts to break down its incredibly rare they’re able to stay healthy.

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

so three 1sts and two 2nds for #2 overall and Trent Williams? 

Sounds like a lot for Miami to pay???

Fair. More likely is probably 5+18 + 39 + 56 for TW and #2.

Some would argue that #2 on its own should get us 5/18 and a 2021 1st + another pikc (2nd?) this year. So I'm just adding a late 2nd to that to include Trent.

2 weeks ago I would have said no way. But Miami has gone after quite a lot of talent in free agency. Tom Brady is no longer in the AFC East. And there's a better chance now that they go all-in to get their QB of choice ... and they still have 14 picks in this draft.

Miami needs an LT pretty badly. If they trade up for their QB, they don't have a pick that "secures" that position ... MAYBE at 26. So it just makes sense to me that we'd include TW in a trade back to them and either add a pick ... or get a bump up to a higher pick than if we didn't include TW.

Just now, PartyPosse said:

He’s also 32. Does any of us expect Trent to be completely injury free from here on out? I certainly don’t.

Once an athlete’s body starts to break down its incredibly rare they’re able to stay healthy.

my point being there's no doubt in my mind he'd immediately be an upgrade at FS with what I expect to be a much improved defense (assuming Chase Young) for at least a year or two until we can draft a FS high. This could all be a moot point though is EB is expecting top dollars.... We need pieces.

What if Ron trades #2 to Miami for all three of their first round picks.

Miami picks Tua. Ron discusses with Detroit and Gettlemen in NY knowing neither of them will take Chase and still gets Chase at #5 plus has the other two first round picks remaining. 🤔 

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

One cavaet here should be that Andrew Whitworth just signed a 3 year deal that takes him into his 41 year old season. Not expecting him to actually play to that point, but Trent is 7 years his junior.

Just now, dyst said:

What if Ron trades #2 to Miami for all three of their first round picks.

Miami picks Tua. Ron discusses with Detroit and Gettlemen in NY knowing neither of them will take Chase and still gets Chase at #5 plus has the other two first round picks remaining. 🤔 

There's an extremely small chance this happens. If Clowney signs with the Giants and the Chargers trade to 3 with the Lions. Otherwise I can't see that happening.

What COULD be interesting though, is if Ron traded 2 + Trent to Miami for 5, 18, 39 and 56 ... and turned around and was able to sweeten a deal to the Lion for 5 and 18 for 3. Take Chase at 3 ... add a pair of 2.s in the process.

Archived