Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Staff thread: Now complete OP edited 1/15/20

Burgold

• 3 months later...
34 minutes ago, BigDibbs31 said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-defensive-coordinator-jack-del-rio-sparks-controversy-twitter-support-donald-trump

Not good in these times. We need Jack Del Rio but this could run him out of town if players start protesting it. 

Interestingly, Rivera dealt with a somewhat similar controversy over words spoken by someone under him.

Remember when Cam Newton made overtly sexist remarks to that female journalist ?

Like that time, I don't see him parting ways with JDR. My guess is Ron has a talk with him, and JDR makes a public apology for 'insensitive remarks'.

41 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@BigDibbs31 I can see JDR being a Trump supporter, that doesn't shock me.  It's a free country. But going back and forth on twitter vs. the masses may not be the wisest choice in this political environment. As many on his side like to say about players, Just shut up and coach...

I agree. He openly retweeted a fake AOC tweet that doesn’t help as well. Not sure what he thought to gain going public on Twitter about this at all. The last thing we need football wise is to lose JDR. 

Jeez...I figured people were overreacting but it is actually...pretty bad. Even retweeting fake conspiracy theory crap.

If he's smart he'll say he was hacked...but he just got a lot less likeable, if it was him. Seems different from the tone and content of his usual tweets, but then with recent events being what they have been it may have been enough to make some usually professional people crack and reveal their true colors so to speak. 

Not what we need a month from training camp when almost no one's even MET the new DC they're supposed to want to run through a wall for. More importantly, not what we need as people right now. 

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm not sure what the justification would be for that

Did you see the way OK State players reacted to Gundy wearing an OAN shirt? 

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Jeez...I figured people were overreacting but it is actually...pretty bad. Even retweeting fake conspiracy theory crap.

If he's smart he'll say he was hacked...but he just got a lot less likeable, if it was him. Seems different from the tone and content of his usual tweets, but then with recent events being what they have been it may have been enough to make some usually professional people crack and reveal their true colors so to speak. 

Not what we need a month from training camp when almost no one's even MET the new DC they're supposed to want to run through a wall for. More importantly, not what we need as people right now. 

I agree with how the reaction will probably be overall, especially with a bunch of AA guys on defense. Don’t think political views make him racist but this might be the worst time since the 1960s to argue that. This is about as Redskins as Redskins gets. 

9 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Jack Del Rio is 100% drinking by himself right now. There's no way a sober person would take bait that easily on Twitter.  

That makes two of us (drinking by himself). Lol but I agree. He is a few scotches deep for sure and now passed out. Cause they are all still up. 

1 minute ago, BigDibbs31 said:

That makes two of us (drinking by himself). Lol but I agree. He is a few scotches deep for sure and now passed out. Cause they are all still up. 

Drink think my man, helps me process my day and plan out the next one. He's going to hate himself in the morning lol. 

The fact that people are saying he deserves to be fired because of his leanings makes me hate people more than anything. Cancel Culture is no longer about vindication against criminals so much as it’s now “if you don’t agree with everything I believe then you deserve to have your life ruined.”

14 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The fact that people are saying he deserves to be fired because of his leanings makes me hate people more than anything. Cancel Culture is no longer about vindication against criminals so much as it’s now “if you don’t agree with everything I believe then you deserve to have your life ruined.”

Dude I agree 100%. It is the worst time ever to have those tweets come out regardless of what anyone thinks. It just takes a prominent defensive player and a local media mob to come out against what he says and it is downhill from there. 

That's dumb, but not fireable. Probably was just a drunken slip up.

I get the old white guy club of coaches that the NFL is made up of. Glad that's falling away. Strange that most players are black, coach is a Puerto Rican and you can openly endorse Trump, but we are named the Redskins and going to die on that hill.

Now hes hoping for a PR miracle. From the Redskins. 

God speed coach lol

4 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

You have to understand it from a business standpoint though. In a capitalistic society, money is all that matters. And if the people spending money say they dont like this about your product, you change that or lose money. The NFL decided to give that money up before, so not all is lost. They may choose to give it up again. It worked for them last time. 

Treading lightly, Jack Del Rio has the right to voice his political opinions. The great thing about America is that we have the right to be wrong. It's a shame that he's got gulled into this conspiracy quicksand. Hopefully, he can escape it. Unfortunately, there are a lot of smart, accomplished people who are also idiots.

45 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

There's a lot of millionaires in the NFL, I doubt he's the only one who supports Trump.

10 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

We should expect better of the team leaders than ranting on Twitter.

Both of these things are true. Its going to be pretty interesting to see where this goes. 

Cause this is kinda political - you cant really talk about it without at least acknowledging the politics of it all - I posted it in the tailgate thread about Trump Supporters. Try not to do the politics thing here if you can avoid it cause then we will lose the thread and this is a good one. But this is sure to be a fun topic. Dont come to the tailgate and be dumb though.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

There's a lot of millionaires in the NFL, I doubt he's the only one who supports Trump.

Snyder donated $1M to Trump's inauguration for a start. 

The 'kiss my ass' bit is not going to help Del Rio here. It is a free Country and people are absolutely entitled to support and believe in whatever and whoever they want to - but people are also fully entitled to judge them based on that support and how they express it. Who you support says a lot about your values.

Now with with my MOD hat on - it is fine to continue this conversation in the Stadium about the impact and fall out of this as it relates to the team. If anyone wants to discuss the politics of it there are several threads in Tailgate for that purpose.

Archived