Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

Then you are agreeing with the main part of my premise and yet arguing about it. 😂

You're not understanding what I'm trying to say here.

Again I'm not sold on oconnell, only that he can't be ruled out based solely on the teams performance this year or his current experience level.

Those are only factors to consider and not the end all be all to any decision made.

Just now, redskinss said:

You're not understanding what I'm trying to say here.

Again I'm not sold on oconnell, only that he can't be ruled out based solely on the teams performance this year or his current experience level.

Those are only factors to consider and not the end all be all to any decision made.

You just agreed his experience level likely rules him out for Rivera in you previous post. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

You just agreed his experience level likely rules him out for Rivera in you previous post. 

You're arguing seperate points.

What I believe rivera will decide and what I believe he should consider are two different things.

Don't conflate the two.

And I already stated that I know very little of oconells reputation so his decision is going to be based on a lot of information that I dont possess. 

Edited by redskinss

Rapoport (and Silver) have been very plugged in to everything Rivera-related.

So that suggests strongly to me that Rapoport's tweet is correct (along with the fact that it makes a lot of sense): KOC is in fact still the favorite, Turner is being brought in with the allure (and public perception boost) of a meaningful possibility of his being hired as OC this year (with the strong likelihood that he will be hired as QB coach and his being groomed to be future OC here if KOC leaves).

I would prefer RR select a younger OC that has some innovated play calling to keep up with new trends in the NFL. 

It was so hard to watch a Callahan run driven offense this year.  Things didn't get interesting until he let KOC start designing the Offensive game plan.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 12:27 PM, SoCalSkins said:

KOC called what 5 games? Giving him control to run the whole offense with a defensive minded head coach is a huge job. I would much rather have the dude who worked with Peyton Manning and improved QB play wherever he’s been and is a proven coach. 

Jim Caldwell had taken time off for health reasons, but wants to get back in the game.  Could very well only want to be a head coach though.  

I don't care personally if KOC stays or goes. I like him overall as a guy but our offense was dreadful the entire season and no player/coach should be given a spot for next yeat outside of McLaurin. 

I could care less if he goes on to coach well at a perrenial powerhouse, there has been zero evidence to show that koc could turn around a bad offense here.

I will say that if there is indication of a power struggle between haskins/koc/Rivera than Rivera will need to make a change. 

• Like 1

Ron mentioned Andy Reid a ton in his press conference. He obviously has a lot of respect for him. One thing about Reid is he will change up systems to fit his QB. I would expect Ron to hire someone in that mold. Haskins is a West Coast pocket passer. If KOC is the guy to get the most out of Haskins in Ron's opinion than fine. But if he wants to move on to someone else I owuld rather have that happen right now than two years from now when KOC might end up being a bust. It appears Ron is looking for veteran coaches. Maybe you could pry someone like Greg Roman away from the Ravens by giving him an Assistant Head Coach title. Scott Linehan and Todd Haley are on the market as well.

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Ron mentioned Andy Reid a ton in his press conference. He obviously has a lot of respect for him. One thing about Reid is he will change up systems to fit his QB. I would expect Ron to hire someone in that mold. Haskins is a West Coast pocket passer. If KOC is the guy to get the most out of Haskins in Ron's opinion than fine. But if he wants to move on to someone else I owuld rather have that happen right now than two years from now when KOC might end up being a bust. It appears Ron is looking for veteran coaches. If you could pry someone like Greg Roman away from the Ravens by giving him an Assistant Head Coach title. Scott Linehan and Todd Haley are on the market as well.

Top coordinators usually take the job when a new coach is hired. If things go south and you fire a coordinator you don’t get as large of a pool because the job security is less and a coordinator firing is usually a precursor to the head coach being dumped. 

This is when Rivera has the most capital. Wasting it on a chance on KOC is not smart. 

Btw Greg Roman would never leave his situation unless it’s a head coaching gig. Would make no sense to.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 10:37 AM, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

The cull will continue for a while yet.

Cull on baby.

People need to get over their attachments to any coach or player. We were 3-13, no one is guaranteed anything.

Ron will decide the staff he wants. He may retain someone or not.

Same thing with players. Over the next year, Rivera will decide which players will be Rivera Redskins.

The ones that don't pan out will be weeded out.

Trust in Rivera.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

This is when Rivera has the most capital. Wasting it on a chance on KOC is not smart. 

Thats a fair point honestly. 

11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Scott Linehan and Todd Haley are on the market as well.

I didnt even know Haley was looking for a job. I feel like he would be a good personality mix with RR too. Hes kind of a dick, but hes good at his job. RR is the people person and that what he would bring to that relationship. I like that. 

• Like 1

I think this is all a silly debate, if I'm being honest.

Aside for my desire to use a specific nickname, I am open to whoever Rivera wants to hire.

Even if it's KOC. Even if it's Caldwell. Even if it's Todd Haley. Whoever.

I just want him to find a guy that fits his vision for offense, and to find a guy that he feels is ready for the role. 

It IS fun to talk favorites and what not, but digging in so hard in defense of one guy or the other is going to lead to a lot of frustration.

This is my only serious post on this matter. I'll be back to nicknames shortly.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Whys everyone changing there avatars?...I understand why wild bunny would..I love koolblues avatar..times of change lol

Other than one or two certain posters (you know what you did. Boomers), I haven't had to cover my face with my palm in almost an entire week! HTTR!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, skinzplay said:

The enthusiasm for O'Connell on this board has always really intrigued me. I've never understood it, especially when people here were mentioning him as a preferred interim HC, or musing that he would quickly be on the market as a HC. Based on what? I just didn't/don't see it. He has potential, but still needs time. It was always so odd to read those posts when O'Connell had never really done anything in the league before arriving at Ashburn, and with the Skins he hadn't really accomplished anything of note, either. Was the enthusiasm for him because of his local roots? Do people think that just because he's young, he's the next Boy Wonder or Kyle? Was it a George-Tony kinda thing like that Seinfeld episode?

I wondered this too early in the season but I was impressed with his press conferences and then with watching Mark Bullock's film reviews particularly the break down of what a Kevin O'Connell offense may look like if he were named head coach (https://theathletic.com/1467292/2019/12/17/what-kevin-oconnells-offense-might-look-like-if-he-were-the-redskins-coach/) I was impressed.

Rex Ryan first noticed him and talked about his memory and ability to break down the Patriots offense and concepts. Beyond that I saw his playcalling, the similarities to Gruden and the differences. But I also saw a scheme that was much different than a Norv Turner type. KOC is more of this newer generation of playcallers where he tries to get his QB comfy with shorter routes which are like runs but have a higher probability for big plays than a typical run. These are also good for getting a QB in rhythm which is a setup for later in the game. This is a contrast to Norv (and Callahan) style coaches who are more running game based and, while that sets up a certain physical mentality that is important especially for young QBs and as the game (and season) goes on, I think its more of a question of are you satisfied with 3 yards and a cloud of dust on first down or more. 

Is KOC ultimately a star? I don't know. I remember having similar questions about McVay, Leflur and definitely Kyle. Surprisingly Kyle had the most success as an OC but had to wait the longest to become a HC. And Kyle has shown he can do multiple styles, both with a power back (Houston), a elite QB (Atlanta), shifty backs, and running QBs. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UKskins said:

When has he said that? I heard him say we have a couple of veterans in the building already (Colt/Case/Alex) but nothing about bringing one in...

i was going to seek his quote, but it may be irrelevant. Truth is, unless Alex is healthy, we don't have a serviceable vet QB in the building. And with them both being UFAs, the Redskins would be status quo to keep them (Colt & Case).

• Like 1

Not a single team has requested permission to interview O'Connell for an OC position. One would be surprised, given how he's held on such a pedestal here. There are several reasons, folks, and one of them has to do with how he actually ended up at Ashburn, inserted onto a HC's staff. There are trust issues paired with his paucity of experience as an OC. Gotta build that experience somehow, so hopefully he's able to land something. It wouldn't be a bad thing to show and shine at the collegiate level as an OC. There are teams there who might be very interested.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skinzplay said:

Not a single team has requested permission to interview O'Connell for an OC position. One would be surprised, given how he's held on such a pedestal here. There are several reasons, folks, and one of them has to do with how he actually ended up at Ashburn, inserted onto a HC's staff. There are trust issues paired with his paucity of experience as an OC. Gotta build that experience somehow, so hopefully he's able to land something. It wouldn't be a bad thing to show and shine at the collegiate level as an OC. There are teams there who might be very interested.

To be fair requests are not made publicly and until KOC knows his options here, he’s not going to put feelers out for other jobs.

Also, who has an OC position open? We are the only ones who filled the HC role so far.

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

To be fair requests are not made publicly and until KOC knows his options here, he’s not going to put feelers out for other jobs.

Also, who has an OC position open? We are the only ones who filled the HC role so far.

The Vikings did...

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Things didn't get interesting until he let KOC start designing the Offensive game plan.

So true.  We have to remember, he was driving Gruden's make and model vehicle this year.  Has he ever put one of his own together before and what would that look like?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I do not want Nov Turner, Ted Turner or any sons of Norv Turner or anyone named Turner on the Skins this year or any other year.

It would seem a bit weird for Norv in particular to want to come back and work under Dan Snyder again, right? 

I mean, if it were me, at 67 years of age all I want is my martini and oxy.

Now, his son ... slightly different since he's trying to make his mark in the NFL and only just earlier this year was named offensive coordinator for the first time in his life by Ron in carolina. So, I understand the football relationship aspect and the career motivation aspect. And he'd be shielded in a way behind Ron and Jack.

But yeah, I too have had my fill of the dad and son duos and generally speaking also the whole past connection deal. But I understand the difference here relating to Scott Turner.