Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

On 4/18/2021 at 10:49 AM, Anselmheifer said:

Is this one new? It's pretty great. I feel like he had a whole Kerrigan's career worth of exciting plays as a rookie. 

Great vid. Watch how much he effected just about every single pick the secondary had this year......But he is a momentous bust. 

• Haha 3

On 4/18/2021 at 11:18 AM, JoggingGod said:

Still should have taken Justin Herbert. Chase is a monster but we so badly need a franchise QB.

In hindsight, sure, but it's not like we drafted Robert Gallery at #2, passing on Larry Fitzgerald, Philip Rivers, and Ben Roethlisberger...

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Remember when Dan and Vinny looked into trading Samuels and our first (which ended up being Sean Taylor) to move up and take Gallery. God these ****ing morons 🤦🏻‍♂️

The worst to me was offering two #1s for Chad Johnson. Of course the Bengals were even stupider for saying no. God bless Marvin Lewis.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

In hindsight, sure, but it's not like we drafted Robert Gallery at #2, passing on Larry Fitzgerald, Philip Rivers, and Ben Roethlisberger...

No effing way am i taking Herbert, or anyone else in that draft, over Chase Young.  Aside from his potential, which he is currently realizing, to be the greatest DE in the post Model-T era, his influence on the team is unequalable, and his mojo may finally extricate the team from the vile selfishness of Brucifer and the putrid ghost of Vinny the Clueless.  You pass on, or trade, CY, and you doom this franchise forever.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

Thought this was a pretty good video charting Young’s growth over last season. How he learned to add a bull rush to his Arsenal versus using his side scissors all the time. 

It's interesting what that video brought up. There was another youtube video before the draft where a guy was breaking him down and comparing him to Nick Bosa. He said CY had a higher ceiling than NB but that NB was more refined coming out.

One of the things he talked about (and showed in video) was how in the NFL NB would set all of his pass rushes up the same way and then respond depending upon what the Tackle did. That included going for a speed to power bull rush when the Tackle decided to leave his hands in to avoid the side-scissors and go for the "hug" technique.

He then showed various videos of CY in college where Tackles did something similar and how they then left their chests wide open to a bull rush but CY almost never took the opportunity and that he'd probably have had 20+ sacks if he had.

It looks like Chase is starting to correct that and hopefully his coaches see it too and are pushing it. 

• Like 5

Chase Young is a natural born leader.  You can see how his infectious personality has affected this team already.  Not only a tremendous player with massive heart & non stop motor who plays with true passion but he’s also extremely smart & has a tremendous work ethic and will to win.  If there are any negative traits I’m sure they only pertain to parts of his game that he can work on to become maybe the best to ever do it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GothSkinsFan said:

No effing way am i taking Herbert, or anyone else in that draft, over Chase Young.  Aside from his potential, which he is currently realizing, to be the greatest DE in the post Model-T era, his influence on the team is unequalable, and his mojo may finally extricate the team from the vile selfishness of Brucifer and the putrid ghost of Vinny the Clueless.  You pass on, or trade, CY, and you doom this franchise forever.

So we're already claiming Chase is on his way to being the greatest DE of all time after a 7.5 sack rookie season... why can't he just be called a good player without the wild expectations lol. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

So we're already claiming Chase is on his way to being the greatest DE of all time after a 7.5 sack rookie season... why can't he just be called a good player without the wild expectations lol. 

Don't interpret "post Model-T era" (meaning after Gibbs 1, IIRC how someone here described the 80's) with "of all time".  And yes, he is on his way to being de GOAT.  (One reason i think that is he's already elite at stopping the run.  How many elite sackers are also elite at stuffing the RB for no gain or worse?). Eventually, CY is going to get the Barry Bonds treatment:   3rd-and-long?  Run the ball away from Chase.  (For those who don't know, Bonds was the most intentionally-walked batter OAT - once with the bases loaded). And cool it with the "keep-it-medium" 'tude.  If you had spent your 14-24 years watching Gibbs 1, and after decades in rehab someone gave you a pinch of top-shelf hopium, you'd be crazy high too.  Be the fan, not the 💩.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Don't interpret "post Model-T era" (meaning after Gibbs 1, IIRC how someone here described the 80's) with "of all time".  And yes, he is on his way to being de GOAT.  (One reason i think that is he's already elite at stopping the run.  How many elite sackers are also elite at stuffing the RB for no gain or worse?). Eventually, CY is going to get the Barry Bonds treatment:   3rd-and-long?  Run the ball away from Chase.  (For those who don't know, Bonds was the most intentionally-walked batter OAT - once with the bases loaded). And cool it with the "keep-it-medium" 'tude.  If you had spent your 14-24 years watching Gibbs 1, and after decades in rehab someone gave you a pinch of top-shelf hopium, you'd be crazy high too.  Be the fan, not the 💩.

Hopium, I like it lol. Hey I won't try to stop your strut. I like Chase but I do the best I can to have zero expectations on players so I can be pleasantly surprised if they do really well. I thought Chase looked like a good player last year and is more of a playmaking DE, we'll see if he becomes that double digit sack leader that we need him to be off the edge. I definitely agree that he is really good at stopping the run, something I don't expect younger DEs to be good at in their rookie seasons. I'm again trying to wipe the expectation slate clean next season for Chase, all I want is improvement from our players, numbers don't matter too much to me. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Hopium, I like it lol. Hey I won't try to stop your strut. I like Chase but I do the best I can to have zero expectations on players so I can be pleasantly surprised if they do really well. I thought Chase looked like a good player last year and is more of a playmaking DE, we'll see if he becomes that double digit sack leader that we need him to be off the edge. I definitely agree that he is really good at stopping the run, something I don't expect younger DEs to be good at in their rookie seasons. I'm again trying to wipe the expectation slate clean next season for Chase, all I want is improvement from our players, numbers don't matter too much to me. 

He made a ton of game changing plays. Had 6FF (I’m counting the one at the end of the 1st Eagles game), drive ending TFL, goal line stands, forced INT’s. He was already great last year. I fully expect double digit sacks this year and 12-14 wouldn’t be a surprise. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

He made a ton of game changing plays. Had 6FF (I’m counting the one at the end of the 1st Eagles game), drive ending TFL, goal line stands, forced INT’s. He was already great last year. I fully expect double digit sacks this year and 12-14 wouldn’t be a surprise. 

Yep, that's why I said he's a playmaking DE lol. I still don't see 12-14 sacks from him or anyone on our team, there's just too many talented players along the DL and too many QBs that will be getting rid of the ball in a second to allow one of our guys to get huge numbers. Allen for example had only 2 sacks, but had a very high number of pressures last year. On any other DL, Allen would have had 6-8 sacks IMO but overall talent will bring individual numbers down a bit. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Im not shy about Chase’s projected sack numbers either.  I can expect double digits this year, 10 or so sacks.

Second year Chase, third year Sweat. Allen is a top 5 pass rushing DT, Payne is only 23 and has to be double team on every single play, Ioannidas is back healthy, we added a fast first round LBer and Swolcomb has improved every year, Collins is coming back lighter and faster, Curl is a stud, we added an elite shut down corner and were about to sign a legit true centerfielder FS. 

This defense is going to be insanely fun to watch, especially because we added a QB who can air it out and now have 4 legit WRs, 3 of which who run sub 4.4s.

By midseason we will be the team to beat in the NFL. If we can score quickly and let this defense just pin back their ears and attack the QB all game I can see 3 guys with double digit sacks.

• Like 8

With a better secondary and an offense that should actually score points I expect more sacks from everyone this year. I was a little disappointed with our pass rush at times last year outside of the teams we faced that had backup QBs/OLs.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2021 at 7:41 PM, PartyPosse said:

I fully expect Sweat to lead the team in sacks simply because The other side will get more double team action. I expect Chase to make more game changing plays all over the field. 

I hope that JDR uses Chase in some packages that feature him at DT and allows Toney to be used as at DE at times.  As I have posted before, JDR has been given a lot of toys to work with player wise and can be very creative even more so now.  A lot to be excited about.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Second year Chase, third year Sweat. Allen is a top 5 pass rushing DT, Payne is only 23 and has to be double team on every single play, Ioannidas is back healthy, we added a fast first round LBer and Swolcomb has improved every year, Collins is coming back lighter and faster, Curl is a stud, we added an elite shut down corner and were about to sign a legit true centerfielder FS. 

This defense is going to be insanely fun to watch, especially because we added a QB who can air it out and now have 4 legit WRs, 3 of which who run sub 4.4s.

By midseason we will be the team to beat in the NFL. If we can score quickly and let this defense just pin back their ears and attack the QB all game I can see 3 guys with double digit sacks.

Just pointing out that in his last full season in 2019, Ioan was double teamed WAY more than either Payne or Allen. Having him back is going to be a much bigger deal than we may think.

• Like 4