Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

6 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

With regards to the Trent Williams vs. Chase Young chatter, you're talking about a possible Hall of Fame LT vs a rookie. I fully expect Williams to win that battle. 

Dont be so sure. He's had a year off, and I remember when we played San Fran in '11. Alden Smith was a rookie ghen, and I believe he got north of 3 sacks on Trent. Made 'em look bad.

It could happen

I know there's lots of stuff from today's interview round but the most interesting thing he mentioned on ESPN980 with Kevin Sheehan was he may not be finished growing.  His dad is 6'9" and his mom is 6" while Chase is 6'5" but said he's not worried about it.  Feels like he has enough flexibility and athletism to support it.

Edited by HigSkin

This is a really good video that breaks Chase down. It was done before the draft. 

The main points are that compared to Bosa he is much more an athletic freak. He is faster, has more bend, and a better get-off. But Bosa is much more refined technically. From the video, Larry Johnson teaches a read a react type of pass rusher. Basically inside and outside side scissors where you use your hands to ward off the Oline's block and get them off balance. And then of course the bull rush if they do not commit. Chase seems to be in love with the outside side scissors move. Due to his speed and ability to bend that has worked well for him in college. But you can see times he used that move even though the tackle did not even extend their arms leaving him neutralized - well sometimes. His athleticism helped him over come but that will be much harder in the NFL. However, unlike Bosa has yet to perfect the inside and bull rush. He had many opportunities to use them but did not. I am pretty certain that is very coach able but I still found it interesting. Good video. 

• Like 1

On Friday, the day after the Washington Redskins made him the No. 2 pick in the NFL draft, Chase Young drove to new teammate Jonathan Allen’s house. It seemed to him the right thing to do, calling on a leader of the defense he had just joined to start getting acclimated.

A lot of top draft picks wouldn’t think of doing such a thing, especially someone as acclaimed as Young, the former Ohio State pass rusher who many analysts graded as the draft’s best player. But as he sat on a video news conference Monday, Young seemed unfazed by the attention swirling around him.

“Time to go to work,” was his first thought Thursday night, after the Redskins had picked him and the cameras had been turned off and the fans who showed up outside his house had gone home. He said he knows the expectations will be extreme, that some are already trying to drape a gold Hall of Fame jacket over his shoulders, and he can’t listen to any of it.

“I just try to mute everything out,” Young said. “I try to mute out the negativity, I try to mute out the positivity, and just focus on football and focus on the smaller things, like focus on nutrition and focus on taking care of my body, focusing on the things that got me here.”

And so his first tasks after visiting Allen were to organize his next few weeks, to call his new coaches and new teammates. He learned the league’s rules for how much contact he can have with Redskins staff, discovering he can use a tablet to follow the team’s offseason program even if he isn’t able to join the virtual team meetings that started last week.

He said he watches footage of himself at Ohio State — the same plays that dazzled coaches and scouts and team executives around the league — and sees flaws with the dominance.

“I can definitely get better. My hands can definitely get better, my hips can definitely get better, my first step can,” he said. “Hand placement in the run game can get better. There’s a lot of stuff in my head that I’m focused on and working on just so I can do better in the league than I did in college.”

Young also talked about the pressure of playing near his family’s home in Cheltenham, Md., not far from where he starred in high school at DeMatha, saying he needs to surround himself with people who will keep him focused. He said he knows that he is a young man about to make a lot of money and that people are “going to be coming out of the woodwork,” trying to affix themselves to his fame.

He said it is hard for him to say no, “but you’ve got to,” he added. He doesn’t want any distractions.

“At the end of the day, this is your job,” he said. “You’re here to play football, but this is a business. All I can say is I’m going to put my best foot forward and show what I have, and how it ends up it ends up. But as long as I put my best foot forward, I’ll be okay.”

Young loved watching film while at Ohio State. Every week during the season he asked his coaches to prepare him a compilation of every sack that week in the NFL. Two of his favorite pass rushers to watch were Denver’s Von Miller and Chicago’s Khalil Mack — coincidentally, two players once coached by new Redskins defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio. His all-time favorite, he said, was Julius Peppers, who was coached with Carolina by new Redskins coach Ron Rivera.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On Friday, the day after the Washington Redskins made him the No. 2 pick in the NFL draft, Chase Young drove to new teammate Jonathan Allen’s house. It seemed to him the right thing to do, calling on a leader of the defense he had just joined to start getting acclimated.

A lot of top draft picks wouldn’t think of doing such a thing, especially someone as acclaimed as Young, the former Ohio State pass rusher who many analysts graded as the draft’s best player. But as he sat on a video news conference Monday, Young seemed unfazed by the attention swirling around him.

“Time to go to work,” was his first thought Thursday night, after the Redskins had picked him and the cameras had been turned off and the fans who showed up outside his house had gone home. He said he knows the expectations will be extreme, that some are already trying to drape a gold Hall of Fame jacket over his shoulders, and he can’t listen to any of it.

“I just try to mute everything out,” Young said. “I try to mute out the negativity, I try to mute out the positivity, and just focus on football and focus on the smaller things, like focus on nutrition and focus on taking care of my body, focusing on the things that got me here.”

And so his first tasks after visiting Allen were to organize his next few weeks, to call his new coaches and new teammates. He learned the league’s rules for how much contact he can have with Redskins staff, discovering he can use a tablet to follow the team’s offseason program even if he isn’t able to join the virtual team meetings that started last week.

He said he watches footage of himself at Ohio State — the same plays that dazzled coaches and scouts and team executives around the league — and sees flaws with the dominance.

“I can definitely get better. My hands can definitely get better, my hips can definitely get better, my first step can,” he said. “Hand placement in the run game can get better. There’s a lot of stuff in my head that I’m focused on and working on just so I can do better in the league than I did in college.”

Young also talked about the pressure of playing near his family’s home in Cheltenham, Md., not far from where he starred in high school at DeMatha, saying he needs to surround himself with people who will keep him focused. He said he knows that he is a young man about to make a lot of money and that people are “going to be coming out of the woodwork,” trying to affix themselves to his fame.

He said it is hard for him to say no, “but you’ve got to,” he added. He doesn’t want any distractions.

“At the end of the day, this is your job,” he said. “You’re here to play football, but this is a business. All I can say is I’m going to put my best foot forward and show what I have, and how it ends up it ends up. But as long as I put my best foot forward, I’ll be okay.”

Young loved watching film while at Ohio State. Every week during the season he asked his coaches to prepare him a compilation of every sack that week in the NFL. Two of his favorite pass rushers to watch were Denver’s Von Miller and Chicago’s Khalil Mack — coincidentally, two players once coached by new Redskins defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio. His all-time favorite, he said, was Julius Peppers, who was coached with Carolina by new Redskins coach Ron Rivera.

Wrap it up. All's I'm sayin'

They're out there, in the shadows, waiting to pounce

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Interesting how colleges in the state of Ohio consistently produce such great professional football players, meanwhile the professional football teams in the state of Ohio do so poorly, at the other end of the spectrum.

Unfortunately two of the worst owners/ownership groups reside in the same state.

I expect Burrow to leave when his contract is up.