Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

8 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Really. Explain to me the '04 defense that didn't have a single guy with more than 6 sacks yet was 4th is points allowed (265 points in contrast the '91 team gave up 224 less than a FG per game more) despite having an offense that was just as bad as the '19's offense if not worse.. And to go on your point about getting to the QB helping the secondary then how bad was our secondary then if we had just 4 LESS sacks than the '91 team and yet we gave up 28 almost 30 points a game???? Does that not support that we need more help than just in an area we're already good at???

How bout scheme and coaching and overall team play instead of relying on a couple of players..

Take it easy Francis...we're all cyber friends here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Drafting for need is how you tend end up with lots of decent players and no standouts...aka the Redskins for a long time now. Every once in a while a positional need and an elite once in a decade talent combine, but sometimes they don't. And when they don't, you take the elite prospect.

That's what the 49ers did. DE wasn't a need for them...they'd invested a ton in their DL already. But they took Bosa because he was an elite difference maker. I don't think they're sorry about it. 

Take the potential perennial All-Pro and then continue to build. Nobody is expecting this team to be finished building in one draft.

You know what, I'm probably just gonna contradict myself while countering this take, but if you look at NE, they've gotten by just fine not being able to draft top prospects.. It goes back to coaching and scheme. At the same time that counters my point about trading back for picks when they can find legit talent in FA with solid cheap signings and finding guys later in the draft. 

In terms of nobody expecting this team to be finished building in one draft, then when are we gonna be done? The Dline beef we drafted needs to get paid soon and some decisions are gonna have to be made..

8 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:
18 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Just relieved he doesn't have some sort of BALTIMORE-like mug, we're gonna be seeing it a lot over the next decade

Nah man I'm sure the Ravens have a handsome fella or two around. Suggs is a god damn cartoon though

Edited by ConnSKINS26

24 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Really. Explain to me the '04 defense that didn't have a single guy with more than 6 sacks yet was 4th is points allowed (265 points in contrast the '91 team gave up 224 less than a FG per game more) despite having an offense that was just as bad as the '19's offense if not worse.. And to go on your point about getting to the QB helping the secondary then how bad was our secondary then if we had just 4 LESS sacks than the '91 team and yet we gave up 28 almost 30 points a game???? Does that not support that we need more help than just in an area we're already good at???

How bout scheme and coaching and overall team play instead of relying on a couple of players..

All I am saying here is that on paper our D upfront was supposed to be very good, excellent,  but did not perform to expectations from what I saw.  Stats can be misleading particularly when it comes to sacks.  And I watched every pathetic game. It was not consistent.

We need some real Pro Bowl caliber guys IMO. Yeah look at the 1991 team, a lot of studs on both sides of the ball.

I look at our O and I think we have a stud in Terry McLaurin.  I look at Chase Young and I see another.  

I think that  coaching is a MAJOR factor in teams success. Scheme. Preparedness. Accountability and Execution. Our D coaches have been rather mediocre IMO since well Gregg Williams.

Edited by skinsmania123

7 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

All I am saying here is that on paper our D upfront was supposed to be very good, excellent,  but did not perform to expectations from what I saw.  Stats can be misleading particularly when it comes to sacks.  And I watched every pathetic game. It was not consistent.

We need some real Pro Bowl caliber guys IMO. Yeah look at the 1991 team, a lot of studs on both sides of the ball.

I look at our O and I think we have a stud in Terry McLaurin.  I look at Chase Young and I see another.  

I think that is coaching is a MAJOR factor in teams success. Scheme. Preparedness. Accountability and Execution. Our D coaches have been rather mediocre IMO since well Gregg Williams.

So why do want Young then if sacks are misleading??? 

And I love Mclaurin as well but what are we gonna do when defenses roll their coverages his way and shut him down next year? Cause that's what I'd do since we have nothing else for defenses to worry about?

36 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I hate the way people compare kids coming out of college to only All pro elite players or Hofer ALL THE TIME. Just once I'd like to hear someone say you know what such n such QB reminds me of a better version of Steve Bono, you know who said RB reminds me of Bam Morris or Ron Dayne in their prime, or hell Napolean Kaufman or Robert Smith or a Joe Washington... Or you know who Chase reminds me of. Ken Harvey.. 

Drives me nuts when rookies are compared to players  the league never saw before the great they are compared to played and haven't seen since they left the game..Lawrence Taylor changed the game when came into the league. New positions on offense were created just to deal with him, blocking schemes and passing offenses had to change to deal with him. He created a new position. Only a handful of players have ever done that and yet every year some random kid is irresponsibly thrown into the same hemisphere as those handful of greats who literally change the game..

1 hour ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

This is a ridiculous statement. If you have a DE who can singlehandedly win a game or two a year, if your young QB busts you draft another one. I'm not sure what you were trying to say. 

Its not ridiculous. You just dont understand or agree with me.

I'm saying that ultimately we don't get to the promised land with a great defensive end if we have a bust at qb... so as much as I like chase young, I don't see the 2 pick as untradeable, especially if you can find high value players that can help bring out the unrealized potential of a young qb on your team. 

39 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

Made it 100 pages before its official.  Really guys?

You should see the trent Williams thread. 

Or the colt Brennan thread. 

2 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Right?  We're about four hours away from finding out if this was a tremendous jinx and a waste of time.

Kind of really hard to screw this up at #2. Not with this regime. Unless Cincy picks Young.

22 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

You should see the trent Williams thread. 

How about John Beck ; Franchise QB

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

Kind of really hard to screw this up at #2. Not with this regime. Unless Cincy picks Young.

I was thinking more along the lines of if Miami or someone offers them the farm for #2 and we trade down.  Look, I've been around long enough for a lot of the older memes on this board.  Cult of Colt.  Mix is Tall.  Marko Mitchell is an underrated sleeper.  Say what you will, at least those guys were on the roster.  This thread is at 100 pages and Chase Young isn't actually wearing our uniform yet.

I'm amused, especially because I'm on record as wanting to accumulate anything and everything for next draft so we can throw the farm at the #1 pick and get Sunshine out of Clemson.

Just now, Playaction2Sanders said:

You know what, I'm probably just gonna contradict myself while countering this take, but if you look at NE, they've gotten by just fine not being able to draft top prospects.. It goes back to coaching and scheme. At the same time that counters my point about trading back for picks when they can find legit talent in FA with solid cheap signings and finding guys later in the draft. 

In terms of nobody expecting this team to be finished building in one draft, then when are we gonna be done? The Dline beef we drafted needs to get paid soon and some decisions are gonna have to be made..

In NE it also might have something to do with having the greatest QB in NFL history for almost 20 years. They hardly ever had to spend much in FA or in draft capital on offense...Brady basically made most JAGs look like stars. We've seen tons of offensive players come from NE and flop elsewhere. NE is a complete one-off. They won't be able to keep it up now. 

As far as their defense, they have had very good schemes, yes. And they've always been flexible about playing to the strengths of the guys they have on defense. But again, you can't take NE as the rule. They're the exception. 

As far as when are we going to be done...we've been building recently, but with an incompetent GM and a meh HC. We now have a brand new HC and staff, and have finally gotten rid of the cancers in the FO as well. The new coaching staff needs to see what they have and who their core players are. We have tons of very young guys, including a bunch of rookies who ended up starting last year. I'd give it through the end of this season and the 2021 draft before upping expectations a bunch. We need to see how our rookies progressed, and what we'll have with the new schemes and coaching staff.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Right?  We're about four hours away from finding out if this was a tremendous jinx and a waste of time.

Don't you even...

tenor.gif

29 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

The Cult of Colt was a fantastic thread! Outdone only by the Paloffs Is Now and Malcomb Kelly threads. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

So why do want Young then if sacks are misleading??? 

And I love Mclaurin as well but what are we gonna do when defenses roll their coverages his way and shut him down next year? Cause that's what I'd do since we have nothing else for defenses to worry about?

What I am saying is in games I saw last year they seemed to get sacks in bundles against certain teams in certain games. There was no consistency.  I think Chase anchors in consistency. 

I think this a real solid draft for receivers, even into the 4th round so I think we are going to pick up a decent one. I like Sims a lot too but based more on potential and the little I have seen of him.  And you know the O can take a real major step this year again with decent coaching and I am super hopeful that Haskins will progress.

Edited by skinsmania123

6 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

Chase is already on it.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-draft-prospect-chase-young-donates-lunch-maryland-healthcare-professionals

Good dude. Knew him from a little league team. My son was a teammate. Solid parents. Definitely a good fit.

I just talked to my friend who works there. I can confirm that he definitely did this. She was a little upset that she didn't make it in time to get any Chipotle though lol. 

I'm 100% sold on Young at #2. 

Edited by duffy

I was just listening to Chris Russell who interviewed Scot McCloughan separately.  Scot told him that he was a scout with GB when they signed Reggie White and to Scot's eye's Young is that type of generational player in that same mold.  He's blown away by him.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I am keeping notes of the trade down media types.  😀

Trade down

Chad Dukes

Danny Rouhier

Brian Mitchell but lately he's backed off of it

Michael Phillips

2 WP columnists 

All the PFF guys

Stay at 2

Chris Russell

Grant Paulsen (he waffles a little though)

Kevin Sheehan

Jerry Brewer

Chris Cooley

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1