Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

Daniel Snyder got his guy, as always. 

The Washington Redskins owner has a track record of sealing the deal once he locks in on a desired target. On Tuesday, he was in the process of finalizing an agreement to turn the franchise over to Ron Rivera, one of the top veteran coaching candidates on the market.

That was the easy part. Now comes the hard part.

Details on the new power structure at Redskins Park, or Rivera’s coaching staff weren’t immediately available, and could take some time to complete. 

But with Rivera in place, Snyder, who has witnessed only six winning seasons and just five playoff appearances since he purchased the team in 1999, must now return to the background in order for the organization to succeed. Snyder must withhold input and let Rivera execute this mission. 

For the last six years, Snyder largely sat back and let Bruce Allen run the franchise into the ground. His fault was believing Allen, who had no successful résumé as a top decision maker, knew what he was doing. 

Now, Snyder let Rivera — a proven, winning football coach and leader — do what he is hired to do: rescue Washington from years of futility and rebuild them into a consistent playoff team, something the Redskins haven’t experienced in nearly 30 years. 

Rivera knows a thing or two about reclamation projects. When he took the Carolina Panthers head coaching position in 2011, the team he inherited was coming off of a 2-14 season and had made the playoffs just once in five years.

28 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That word "good."  I don't think it means what you think it means.

They were BETTER than the Haz/Barry/Manusky debacles.  

But good?  They were soft read-react defenses which were ok at best. 

In his time as a Head Coach his defenses were up and down. But he only really had a couple of seasons as a DC. 2002 he had the Panthers D second ranked in the league, 2012 he had the Broncos 2nd overall (both by yardage which I get is not the only way to judge a defense). He was also linebackers coach in the great Ravens D in 2000.

Between him and Rivera the defense would be in really good hands.

Former defensive back Will Blackmon played for Green Bay, Seattle and the New York Giants, in addition to the Redskins (2015 and 2016). While he was with the Packers, Blackmon said he never saw the executive offices. In Seattle, he said execs worked on a higher floor than where players practice and train. And Blackmon said he doesn't even know where the Giants' executive offices are located.

At Redskins Park, Blackmon knew where to find the executives. That's because, unlike many other teams, the Redskins are housed in a mom-and-pop-type shop, a 27-year-old facility packed with offices where secrets rarely remain so.

The executive and coaches offices are on the same floor, separated by a lobby area. The players are often in that area -- going in and out of meetings -- because of the tight layout. Redskins Park predates Snyder's ownership, but ownership renovated the facility in 2013 -- thanks to a $4 million grant from the state of Virginia -- and added numerous offices and employees.

While that renovation made it newer inside, it has also cramped the main level.

The office and training facilities at Redskins Park comprise 121,000 square feet, according to Redskins.com. By comparison, the new Minnesota Vikings' state-of-the-art TCO Performance Center has 277,000 square feet for offices and training facilities, per Vikings.com. For comparison, the Vikings' previous facility, Winter Park, had 138,000 square feet -- still larger than a renovated Redskins Park.

"[Redskins Park] is so small quarters that you run into everybody all the time. It was tough because everything always got out," said Blackmon, who added he had no issues with Allen. "There were always rumors and so many stories and it's exhausting. It's like we're on Capitol Hill when it comes to politics."

Too many issues reach the locker room. There are plenty of stories describing a divide between the coaches and the front office or a coach sharing his thoughts on a player to his teammate.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28276910/what-went-wrong-redskins-president-bruce-allen-next

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So, if I'm Ron, and I'm smart, here's what I do: I manage up.  I actually involve Dan and welcome his opinion.  Ask him to do things which can be of value.  Suggest areas for improvement where he could invest in.  Ask what he thinks about certain things.  Make sure he feels completely included in the entire process.  

He owns the team and signs the checks.  Make sure he knows what's going on, and make it YOUR narrative with transparency. 

Why?  Because of several reasons:  1. I trust Ron to guide Dan.  2. I think Dan will spend money on things if the football people ask him to.  As long as there is a case for it, and he sees the value.  3. He can't "meddle" if he's actually part of the process.  This does not mean that Dan should overrule Ron on draft picks, or tell him how to call a defense, etc.  But if Dan feels invested and included, I bet he has more fun, and I bet he actually ends up leaving people alone more.  It's bizarre, but I've seen it a bunch of times with meddling senior execs.  The immediate thought is to get them as far away as possible so you can do your job.  The much more useful solution is to include them, show them what you're doing, and then they typically leave you alone because they trust you or they get bored.  

The worst thing you can do is try to push him into a corner and have him do nothing.

I really, honestly think Dan could be an asset to the team IF, and only IF, he is guided there by smart football people.  Bruce basically spoke for him and wanted to do everything himself.  That's fine, but Bruce sucked stale dead yak balls, so that wasn't good advice.

The master of this was Gibbs. At the end of the day, Gibbs made all the decisions.  But he included Dan, which made Dan happy, and so he wasn't "meddling."  He gave Gibbs what he wanted.  He was supportive and not a problem.  If Vinny had half a brain and Gibbs trusted him, the personnel side would have been better.  But he didn't, and it wasn't.

I agree Dan needs to let his folks make decisions.  But to think that the owner of a $4 billion dollar enterprise is just going to sit back and let things ride is ludicrous.  

So involve him in the best way you can, and make him an asset by keeping him on board and getting the things you want.  

10 minutes ago, MartinC said:

In his time as a Head Coach his defenses were up and down. But he only really had a couple of seasons as a DC. 2002 he had the Panthers D second ranked in the league, 2012 he had the Broncos 2nd overall (both by yardage which I get is not the only way to judge a defense). He was also linebackers coach in the great Ravens D in 2000.

Between him and Rivera the defense would be in really good hands.

Wait, who are you referencing?  You jumped into a side conversation on Greg Blache....  (which spawned from Del Rio being the best DC since Gregg Williams, and Blache was one of the 4 since then.)

18 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't know, but he has made a ton of money over the years so if he just wanted a bit of a break, why not?

I imagine Dan could bring in a Morton's chef if he wanted to.

Or, Gordon Ramsay, quite frankly.  

Fed monkeys could run a line at mortons. They don't have chefs, but you're correct and I'd bet Dan has a personal chef.

15 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That's probably the only picture of a beach on the French Riviera which actually could get posted on this board.

So crowded, I forget how spoiled I am and I almost never go to the beach.

11 minutes ago, boston skins fan said:

what about for those of us not in the DMV?

Same, I'd like to see that.

...As for the Redskins' current starter, long before the draft there was a sense they would take Haskins with the No. 15 pick -- no matter how their board stacked up. Snyder had dropped Haskins' name throughout the year, telling people he was the best player in the country.

...Numerous sources say Snyder would stay away from roster decisions more than in the past -- he was on his personal yacht for most of the month before the 2019 draft. But Snyder still made it known he wanted Haskins.

Rivera is expected to have more roster control than Gruden, something similar to what Shanahan had during his four seasons. That could help. It also could help to have more cohesion between the front office and coaching staff because it would lessen the divisions and leaks. That's why it would make sense for Rivera to be paired with someone he has worked with in the past, such as Marty Hurney, who is currently the general manager of the Panthers. Hurney got his start in the Washington market as a Redskins beat writer for the Washington Times, and also worked for Redskins public relations for two years.

...Regardless of who gets the job, they need to be in sync with Rivera and learn how to massage Snyder's football desires. One source said framing ideas to make it appear as if it was Snyder's to begin with is the best approach. If Rivera and his boss can do that, perhaps they can do what others here failed at for two decades under Snyder: put together a consistent winner.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28276910/what-went-wrong-redskins-president-bruce-allen-next

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Former defensive back Will Blackmon played for Green Bay, Seattle and the New York Giants, in addition to the Redskins (2015 and 2016). While he was with the Packers, Blackmon said he never saw the executive offices. In Seattle, he said execs worked on a higher floor than where players practice and train. And Blackmon said he doesn't even know where the Giants' executive offices are located.

At Redskins Park, Blackmon knew where to find the executives. That's because, unlike many other teams, the Redskins are housed in a mom-and-pop-type shop, a 27-year-old facility packed with offices where secrets rarely remain so.

They desperately need a new facility as well as a new stadium.  But I think both are tied in together.  I think Dan wants to have a facility/stadium thing, and I don't think he wants to spend a lot of money on the Ashburn site.  

I do wonder if Dan told Rivera plans for a new facility and/or stadium, if any existed.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

So crowded, I forget how spoiled I am and I almost never go to the beach.

I don't mind the particular crowds on those beaches one little bit.  

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Wait, who are you referencing?  You jumped into a side conversation on Greg Blache....  (which spawned from Del Rio being the best DC since Gregg Williams, and Blache was one of the 4 since then.)

Sorry! Thought  you were talking about Del Rio.

When you look around the league, Ron may be the head coach that accomplished the most as a player. 1st team All American, Super Bowl winner, 3 year starter for a mighty Bears D. That goes a long way with players. I think that also must have gone a long way with Del Rio because although they never played together, they were contemporaries as players

Hurney is garbage and should not be an option for our GM position. He is known for overpaying veteran players such as RB's Williams & Stewart along with others. His drafts have been rather poor as well rarely hitting on anything outside of the first round. I'd stay far away from him. There's a reason that most Panther fans are hoping that Tepper lets him go.

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Sorry! Thought  you were talking about Del Rio.

Nope.  I think Del Rio is an outstanding get.

I had to read your reply like 4 times and check wikipedia to see if I was missing something on Blache... I was so confused.  

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'd like to believe this, but that requires me to think Dan is capable of leak hunting, which I don't, so I'm going to say that the media guys (Doc) got it wrong. 

I think that is EXACTLY the type of thing Dan would be good at.  He's a deal closer, and he's a sneaky SOB, so figuring out how to find a leak would be right up his ally.

Putting together a competent organization?  He has shown he has no idea how to do that since 1999.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

.One source said framing ideas to make it appear as if it was Snyder's to begin with is the best approach. If Rivera and his boss can do that, perhaps they can do what others here failed at for two decades under Snyder: put together a consistent winner.

So basically Dan has to be treated like a 5 year old. 

Digesting everything I could, it does paint a picture that some of Dan's impulses were checked in by Bruce.  But Bruce's own impulses weren't hot either.   So I think with Bruce gone this exposes Dan more for better or worse.  Hopefully someone there manages him who is a football guy and is classy.  I think the GM hire is going to be critical -- not just because its important to shop for the groceries but that dude also has to be good at managing Dan.  Cooley has made a similar point multiple times.

I do buy that Dan doesn't interfere as much as he used to and that he's calmed down some but it only sounds like he's done it to a degree as opposed to really reform.  The picture painted is like he was once a 8 drink a day alcoholic type and now he's a 6 drink a day alcoholic.    

I do buy the concept that Bruce managed him to a degree.  the problem IMO is the Prince of Darkness shared some of Dan's worst impulses. 

Archived