Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, Odukah and Simmons are both better prospects also at positions of need.

Yep. Plus both ILB and CB are probably the weakest depth-wise of the draft (outside of Okudah, Henderson and Adebo i'm not overly impressed by the class). IF we end up moving to the 4-3, Simmons and his speed is a perfect fit as he can play both inside and out. 

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Yep. Plus both ILB and CB are probably the weakest depth-wise of the draft (outside of Okudah, Henderson and Adebo i'm not overly impressed by the class). IF we end up moving to the 4-3, Simmons and his speed is a perfect fit as he can play both inside and out. 

We are in such a great position going forward.

40 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

How was the deck stacked against Shanahan?  By hiring Allen?  I thought when Shanahan was hired, he was supposed to have final say in all football decisions?

Whats going to prevent Snyder from doing the same thing to Rivera as he did to Shanahan?

Scotty M. had “final say” and look what happened to him. Know one knows obviously. My opinion is, is this is going to work out. There’s never been a mass exodus or Redskins fans before. #FireBruceAllen could definitely be considered a movement. I believe Snyder’s eyes have been opened, and is on the precipice of losing the majority of the fanbase If any sense of meddling occurs. 

Bruce Allen is gone. That’s a good thing. 

Head trainer gone. That’s a good thing. 

Didn’t go for the shiniest offensive minded first time head coach. That’s a good thing. 

Established head coach with some balls. That’s what we need. Culture is what we need and Rivera is bringing it. 

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

We are in such a great position going forward.

I'm also not sold on Chase because while he does get neutralized being double or triple-teamed, it's also important to remember that for the most part most of these OL blocking him will never even sniff being drafted let alone starting. I'd be interested to know how he did against nfl-calibre or nfl-potential opponents in terms of OL.

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

So you're reason for not wanting the number 2 pick is because the player that everyone wants got gameplanned for in a playoff game? Because you're afraid we get talented depth at D-Line and get something comparable to the Giants when they won the Super Bowls with Eli Manning because of their stacked D-Line?

Okay, so you don't want a D-Line. Easy fix. Hold his draft pick for ransom. Pick whoever of whatever position you want, and still you'll be better off than winning an extra game for an interim coach and a soon-to-be defunct front office.

Simplistic way of looking at my reasoning, but I get it, that's not what you want to do.

1st round draft picks aren't depth, they are starters.  If they move Sweat to DE, they'll have 5 starters for 4 dline positions when adding in Matt.  That's not stacked, that's overkill.  And saying because I don't want that means I don't want a d-line is ridiculous, its such a cop out way of saying you don't agree with me and don't think I've thought this through.  I have.

It's going to be harder trading down a #2 pick for someone who isn't going to play QB then it would say the #5 pick.  Think of what we gave up for Griffin, anyone going to do that for Young?

We should take this to another thread, at this point I haven't posted on Rivera in a couple pages, that's not good. If you respond somewhere else, I'll get you back later. 🍺

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

I'm also not sold on Chase because while he does get neutralized being double or triple-teamed, it's also important to remember that for the most part most of these OL blocking him will never even sniff being drafted let alone starting. I'd be interested to know how he did against nfl-calibre or nfl-potential opponents in terms of OL.

I'm definitely sold on him. He's a hell of a prospect. Very Peppers-ish. He's the unanimous best player in the draft for a reason. I'm just saying that I'm not trading off Young, unless it involves Odukah or Simmons.  

3 minutes ago, A Skinhead in Saints Land said:

Scotty M. had “final say” and look what happened to him.

He never had final say on anything.  He was basically the lead scout. 

37 minutes ago, TK said:

Hearing that Rivera's presser will be Thursday & the FO probably won't be sorted out by then as its ongoing.

They can do the presser in April from Alaska for all I care, as long as the signature is on the contract tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Chase often isn’t neutralized with double teams and that is a big part of the buzz about him but sometimes he is.  He is human. Von Miller doesn’t get a sack every game, etc. 

He brings pressure even when he isn’t getting sacks. Cooley articulated that real well recently in a podcast better than I could.

33 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I aren't hanging all my hopes and dreams on the Redskins snagging Chase Young. 

You'd have to ask others who are narrowing down on that.

Yo. Right here ☝️😐

Young    Payne   Allen   Sweat

All you need to do is double team each of them and you still have 3 guys left vs the other 7 defenders.

11 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

@Gibbs Hog Heaven You are absolutely right, nothing is guaranteed. Except for one thing, there is one thing that's guaranteed. Winning a 4th game in a season that ended a month ago is guaranteed to not make the team better. At best, it does nothing. At worst, it costs the team the chance at the next JJ Watt/Myles Garrett. To throw away a free lottery where you've got a 50-50 chance of getting the jackpot is incomprehensible to me. Again, not questioning fandom, questioning reasoning behind wanting it.

If you don't think you'd get a starting calibre talent that improves on what you have top 5 (that's without even getting into most elite talent every draft being in that range), where you'd be picking with that record this year, whether you stuck of dropped back,  then I'd seriously question your eval/ reasoning?

To 'guarantee' it wouldn't is a very strange take. 

Hail. 

1 hour ago, mjbasford said:

Anyone, ANY... SINGLE... COACH.. OR... GM.    who takes the Patriots over Redskins here is not who I want to be here.  I want the fire, I want the thinking you are the best, who is gonna right this ship after 25 years.  These guys are all competitors, they want the challenge.

Win a super bowl with the pats/Steelers and the town will call you a hero.

Win a Superbowl with the Redskins?  You are now a God.

Even though people rightly say any of the 32 NFL head coaching jobs is extremely sought after, I don't know who the hell is going to want to coach the Patriots after Belichick leaves, especially if its after a relatively successful season. I half jokingly say the Pats should move out of New England for a year after B&B leave so that their fanbase can appreciate the notion of just having a football team when they returned, especially after winning six SBs in 18 seasons.

The Steelers are a different story. Arguably the next four most successful teams in the past dozen or so years after the Pats have been the Steelers, Ravens, Packers, and Seahawks. But man, almost every Steelers fan you talk to HATES Tomlin. Much like almost every Packer fan hated McCarthy. LaCanfora had reported a few days ago that Snyder was interested in trading picks to the Steelers for Tomlin (Jason did say the scenario was unlikely). I could just imagine what this board would be like if that had happened. 

Very interested in seeing who might be on the staff, especially the offensive side. The defense can't go anywhere but up once Manusky is gone. Wonder if Rivera will want to bring Mike Shula (if he's let out of his contract/fired in NY); and whether Ken Z has already signed on to join someone's staff (many HC candidates will be mentioning him in interviews as their desired QB Coach).

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Huh? That's also a perfectly desirable outcome that is only possible because we own the #2 pick. It's not an argument for the point you think you're making. You aren't making any sense. 

The odds of someone trading up for #2 versus #5 given the costs...specific to Rivera, would that cost us getting him to come here? No.  To say we should've lost as many games as possible to get best chance at a certain HC, that doesn't make sense.  To say the Dallas game may have saved Bruce's job and kept us from getting Rivera, that doesn't make sense, either.  Him and Dan had already stopped talking to each other.

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm definitely sold on him. He's a hell of a prospect. Very Peppers-ish. He's the unanimous best player in the draft for a reason. I'm just saying that I'm not trading off Young, unless it involves Odukah or Simmons.  

100%. I think Chase is good, no doubt, and on the Redskins I think he does better than he would with other teams that don't have that talent up front. I just don't think he's as good as that generational talent that some people see him as. Just my opinion and I could be dead wrong. I see him in the same boat as Okudah and Simmons and I would rather have one of those other two plus a couple of extra picks than Chase. I would NOT be happy if they pick either of those two at 2. I also feel it's easier to get DE talent than it is elite corners. Just look at the playoffs. I see more upper echelon corners than elite DE. 2 of the top 10 leaders in QB pressures made it while 9 of the 10  and 14 of the 17 top secondary players with the lowest QB rating against all made it. Sure it's a cherry-picked stat but when it comes down to it at the end, top teams will be able to weather the storm of an elite DL. It's IMPERATIVE to have at least one elite corner. 

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

The odds of someone trading up for #2 versus #5 given the costs...specific to Rivera, would that cost us getting him to come here? No.  To say we should've lost as many games as possible to get best chance at a certain HC, that doesn't make sense.  To say the Dallas game may have saved Bruce's job and kept us from getting Rivera, that doesn't make sense, either.  Him and Dan had already stopped talking to each other.

You're just saying stuff that has nothing to do with your post that I quoted, don't change the subject. You said this: 

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I wished it mattered how I felt about so much of the board wanting our archrival to beat us senseless to get a higher draft pick.  For all they know, someone will offer us a Griffin like ransom to get Young themselves and folks round here gonna be stuck like a cat getting brain freeze from ice cream.

And I pointed out that that would also be a desirable outcome, also only possible due to us owning the #2 pick. So you weren't making the great point in your favor you thought you were, but actually arguing in favor of the other side of the debate, imo. 

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

You're just saying stuff that has nothing to do with your post that I quoted, don't change the subject. You said this: 

And I pointed out that that would also be a desirable outcome, also only possible due to us owning the #2 pick. So you weren't making the great point in your favor you thought you were, but actually arguing in favor of the other side of the debate, imo. 

I'm trying to change the subject because this is the wrong thread for it. 

Ya, know this is a very complex issue and I have a lot of reasons for why I feel this way about this.  If you want to say that I said someone could offer us the Griffin haul and that would be still be a better outcome then if we ended up #5, fine, you got me.

Related image

But that was in a post with a cat video to show what I expected is no one who's taken the "lose for Chase" route picked it up and said if we were offered that they would take it. 

If Rivera said he planned to trade down, would he get turned on before April? What trade would it take to keep Redskins Park from getting burned to the ground?  And if the answer is "yes" and "nothing", that's just a difference of opinion.

Again, if we gonna take about trading down not specific to Rivera, we should do it in another thread to avoid a "hi there".  

44 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Yo. Right here ☝️😐

Young    Payne   Allen   Sweat

All you need to do is double team each of them and you still have 3 guys left vs the other 7 defenders.

Why'd you leave out our best current defensive lineman?

3 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Why'd you leave out our best current defensive lineman?

I think you probably rotate all 3 inside.  

One thing I am pretty sure of is that Rivera is going to find ways to get pressure with the personnel we have.

Its going to be very interesting to see what happens with Ryan Anderson and Ryan Kerrigan.  

I do wonder if Kerrigan actually becomes a rotational guy, or a backup. 

Its going to be be very interesting to see what they do, and Rivera and Wilkes would get the benefit of the doubt on defense because they’ve been building good defenses for a long time. 

As far as Chase Young being "neutralized" by a double team, we have to realize that it isn't just sacks, it is the general disruption of the QB as well.  Nick Bosa only has 9 sacks but if you watch him over the course of the entire game, watch how many plays he is in on, watch how much chaos and disruption he is causing that often allows other plays easier routes to the QB.   

If Chase Young's presence and taking on double-team's causes 2-3 other D-lineman to improve their sack totals by 3-5 sacks each in 2020?  That would be considered a hell of an impact for a rookie if you ask me. 

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think you probably rotate all 3 inside.  

One thing I am pretty sure of is that Rivera is going to find ways to get pressure with the personnel we have.

Its going to be very interesting to see what happens with Ryan Anderson and Ryan Kerrigan.  

I do wonder if Kerrigan actually becomes a rotational guy, or a backup. 

Its going to be be very interesting to see what they do, and Rivera and Wilkes would get the benefit of the doubt on defense because they’ve been building good defenses for a long time. 

Frankly there is a point to be made that we may have too many mouths to feed.  I'd trade at least 1 (Kerrigan)?

Archived