Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Umpires agree to MLB's test plans for automated strike zone

zCommander

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Fellow IT guy, you must be being sarcastic : )

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

If that were true there would be a lot less of you IT guys.  

I was going to say humans made computer so....lol

But on the tech side though you have to admit the computer eye can process speed and precision a lot faster than an human eye and is hell of lost more accurate. Something to think about. 

i know this might take away the "fun" out of the sport but what if that human eye error was the difference in winning the WS. How many of you would be outraged as to why there are not computers installed yet. 

5 minutes ago, zskins said:

I was going to say humans made computer so....lol

But on the tech side though you have to admit the computer eye can process speed and precision a lot faster than an human eye and is hell of lost more accurate. Something to think about. 

i know this might take away the "fun" out of the sport but what if that human eye error was the difference in winning the WS. How many of you would be outraged as to why there are not computers installed yet. 

The video I saw on the "robot umpire" at a minor league team it only says what it thinks is a strike or ball and human makes final decision.  

19 hours ago, Destino said:

If that were true there would be a lot less of you IT guys.  

The reason us IT guys exist is not because of the computers. It's because of the people that use the computers.

The Cybersecurity market is about to go past $1 trillion and it's a sector that mostly was made up because of, an revolves around, the normal person's inability to know whether an email is fake or not.

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

The Cybersecurity market is about to go past $1 trillion and it's a sector that mostly was made up because of, an revolves around, the normal person's inability to know whether an email is fake or not.

Reminds me of Carlin ... "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

Scammers intentionally put errors in emails so that intelligent people don't respond and waste their time. They are intentionally targeting the stupid, and there are plenty of them.

17 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I'm fine with this. There is too much human influence in the pitch calls. A pitcher should be trying to trick the batter, not cater to some varying level of a strike zone based on how the umpire woke up that day. 

I'm really happy Manfred was able to get this in. it might be his first real accomplishment. But until there is real accountability, I can see the umpires calling what they want.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Computer: "Strike"
Joe West: **** you.

This. Just window dressing. Umps are like the most sensitive people on the planet. If they cant handle a pro baseball player with a good eye telling them what's up when they call a strike a mile off the plate, they're not gonna handle a machine telling them they ****ed up within a matter of inches.

Most of the time I hate seeing the "human element" of MLB being removed.  For example something I am annoyed at is how replay has bred the "hold the tag when someone steals a base, in the event that their foot or hand comes off the plate for half a second, after they were called safe in real time"  Something like that goes against the spirit of the game more than I like.

However, when it comes to calling balls & strikes, I'm sorry but the umpires did this to themselves.   The favoritism and inconsistency in how they call balls & strikes has gotten way out of hand.  I have always been of the mind that an umpire should be afforded the right to "call his own strike zone" (within reason of course) but the issue is that they have gone a step to far and seem to call different strike zones for different pitchers and it changes inning to inning depending on who ends up coming in for relief.  If you are an ump that likes calling the high strike or borderline corner strikes? Fine. All good....but you should be calling that for every pitcher on both teams.

6 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Most of the time I hate seeing the "human element" of MLB being removed.  For example something I am annoyed at is how replay has bred the "hold the tag when someone steals a base, in the event that their foot or hand comes off the plate for half a second, after they were called safe in real time"  Something like that goes against the spirit of the game more than I like.

However, when it comes to calling balls & strikes, I'm sorry but the umpires did this to themselves.   The favoritism and inconsistency in how they call balls & strikes has gotten way out of hand. 

This is how I feel. I think replay is a net-bad thing in most cases for most sports

the drive to be perfect when perfect is impossible has created dumb situations. 

but the umpires and the way they handle balls and strikes has made me wasn’t this over them. 

Seeing tne best umpires work, it is remarkable to me how good they are.  I rag on the bad calls with everybody else but, for the most part they do a really good job.  This solution - to a problem that barely exists - seems antiseptic and impersonal.  i'm not real keen on it at first glance.  I guess we'll get used to it if it's incorporated, but it takes some of the personality out to the game.

Archived