Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have you been shamed for wearing Redskins team gear in public?

Boss_Hogg

Curious question. I saw a long thread on social media from a Redskins fan in Loudon, VA who claims he was scolded by three random strangers on Saturday asking how he can support this team "after all that's happened." The poster did not elaborate on what the angry men were referring to: the Trent Williams drama, the suck ass play on the field, team name, or how awful Dan and Bruce are at being human beings. 

But then our very own Huly chimed in on that same twitter thread and mentioned that two random strangers came up and asked how she could support this team. 

I don't live in the DMV, I have a team logo sticker on my truck and wear a Redskins hat every now and then. I've never been yelled at, but I have had some smack talk from Cowboys fans (there's a lot of them in Florida) In fact, often times people think I'm a Seminoles fan. I do get a lot of "Damn, I'm sorry" or "Jesus why do that to yourself?" or 'Why?" when they see I'm a Skins fan, followed up by "I feel sorry for you."

So I'm wondering, has anyone on this board gotten publicly shamed for sporting the team gear? 

1 minute ago, Boss_Hogg said:

So I'm wondering, has anyone on this board gotten publicly shamed for sporting the team gear? 

Only at FedEx Field when the opponents fans take over.

The only Redskins related gear I wear anymore is my 'sell the team' shirt.  Prior to that, most of what I'd get is a bunch of pity from opposing fans when they'd see me rocking Skins gear.  It wasn't that long ago though that folks did like to talk trash, but we're so woeful now that people just can't even enjoy pooping on us anymore.

You mean this?  Tailgate Ted is pretty hardcore too, he even makes weekly appearances on Redskins nation.

Personally I get ragged on in South Florida for the Redskins stinking every now and then.  I've been in Disney this weekend and have run into a bunch of Redskins fans, I ended up talking in the John with a Redskins fan about Bruce Allen and what can be done about him, he brought it up to me when he saw my Redskins shirt.  Fun times.  😀

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You mean this?  Tailgate Ted is pretty hardcore too, he even makes weekly appearances on Redskins nation.

Personally I get ragged on in South Florida for the Redskins stinking every now and then.  I've been in Disney this weekend and have run into a bunch of Redskins fans, I ended up talking in the John with a Redskins fan about Bruce Allen and what can be done about him, he brought it up to me when he saw my Redskins shirt.  Fun times.  😀

Yeah I think that's the one. 

Lol I was asked something last Saturday while wearing my skins jacket like how long have I been a fan of the team..

Being from where I'm from im asked how did I become a fan..being so far from the east coast.. not that big of an NFL fan base here.. however my best friend called me yesterday and reminded me of how bad we actually have it he apologized and came to realization and agreement with me that the Redskins organization is absolutely horrendous and he felt real bad for me LOL

Timing on this almost out of movie. Still in Disney (about to leave) went to breakfast, wearing a Redskins shirt as I often do in Disney because many wear NFL and college shirts here being worn and it often elicits conversation and bantering.

Anyway at the omelet station an Eagles fan started talking to me saying we have a great fan base but Snyder is ruining it. Then said his friend is a driver who told him a story of picking Snyder and family up for an event and Dan wouldn’t talk to or acknowledge the driver and when they arrived Dan’s mom went up to the driver and apologized for her son’s behavior. 

He he said I am a good fan for hanging in there as a fan of the team and hopes for Redskins fans sake he sells the team.

I often wear Redskins, Caps and more recently Nats hats/gear when out.

As far as with Redskins gear - most comments I get are some form of pity.  They feel bad for me.. Say something to the effect of they hope the Skins fix things soon.   While in line at the grocery story an Eagle fan - even a Eagle fan told me he hoped the Skins turned things around.

I get the sense that the general football fan public has mostly transitioned from making jokes at the expense of the Redskins and their fans to actually feeling sorry for them.  I think most think the NFL would be better if the Skins were competitive.  People can't even smack talk or take jabs at us Skins fans now.  Its like past funny and others just pity us.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Anyway at the omelet station an Eagles fan started talking to me 

There had been a fight at the omelet bar had it be me..first words out of my mouth would have been **** the eagles, Mickey Mouse is a redskins fan ****er..lol jk man

Maybe the people that this happens to are just unlikeable.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Also, that story did not happen.

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Dude sitting at the bar eating a sandwich wearing a jets hat. I brought him a dessert (I'm the chef) and said "saw the hat, Redskins fan". He nodded and said thanks. 

My only foray to the Caribbean was the Bahamas long ago I don’t recall if I wore Redskins gear, I probably didn’t since it was my honeymoon.

The oddest place I ever saw Redskins gear is a dude wearing a Kerrigan jersey in Bergen, Norway.

By a mile the most interaction I get with Redskins fans coupled with other NFL teams routinely is Disney especially around Epcot.

8 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

When wearing skins gear i tell confrontational hecklers that i don't follow sports but do shop thrift stores exclusively and usually buy from the $1 rack 

I can imagine that's a line you use when you are not wearing Skins gear as well 🙂

Unless I am wearing a suit for business I generally can as well.

Archived