Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In what way is Kyle Smith GM material

JoggingGod

2 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

That one is false.

We're top 5 in playing rookies this year.

We do not usually resign them, but we are at least playing them.

I'm not talking about playing them, I'm talking about actually developing them after college. If they come in and play well they hardly ever progress past that. Matt Ioannidis is one of the only players who I've ever seen show true progress, but I think it was due to the lack of playing time he was receiving as well. 

Kyle is regarded as a young excellent football mind with a pedigree just like Mcvay and Shannahan. It’s a good move to try and keep him in house and take a calculated risk. Eric Schaffer is good at managing the cap and would balance Kyle while he gets his feet under him. But Alas, Bruce isn’t going anywhere until a new stadium deal is done. Snyder could sell the team tomorrow for $4billion. They don’t need fans. Getting rid of Bruce Allen is the only move that could restore some credibility between Snyder and the fans and give him a chance for a third strike. 

52 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'm not talking about playing them, I'm talking about actually developing them after college. If they come in and play well they hardly ever progress past that. Matt Ioannidis is one of the only players who I've ever seen show true progress, but I think it was due to the lack of playing time he was receiving as well. 

Quinton Dunbar is disagreeing here.

Others that are showing improvment:

- Troy Apke, guy was a huge liability eraly last year and even in preseason, and he's becoming an interesting one.

- Steven Sims Jr.

- Trey Quinn also is becoming more important.

No future big name players, but those are reliable enough.

Wish I could see Martin and Piersbacher playing.

Murphy, Nsekhe, Roberts, Alexander, all starters on a 6-2 Bills but couldn't cut it with genius Jay. as much as FO has its faults it's hard to gauge them truly given the coaching that has been going on the last 6 years

(I know Nsekhe actually played well enough but Jay didnt start him unless we had injuries) 

3 minutes ago, Bunny Kelly said:

(I know Nsekhe actually played well enough but Jay didnt start him unless we had injuries) 

NSekhe was #2 behind Williams. You can hardly blame Gruden for that...

Still, he, Murphy and Alexander were never resigned during offseason and left in FA. And Murphy was a starter that we let go for Preston Smith that we let go for Anderson that we'll let go for Montez Sweat...

We've drafted decently over the last few years and our players are going to other teams and excelling. Breeland and Fuller have good seasons for the Chiefs. Preston Smith is putting up Pro Bowl #s for the Packers. And by all counts we've had pretty good drafts the last couple years.

Our coaching/player development sucks ass.

He's young and we got burned letting talented young minds walk. Whether Smith is GM material, no idea.  At least with the coaches, the evidence they were legit was readily visible.  You  could watch the games and see their skills on display and the positive effect they had.

Whether the Dir of College Scouting should be the GM, we have no idea.  That frankly seems like a bit of a jump to me.  Not involved in free agency, not involved in trades, salary cap, etc.  But it's no less a jump than somebody making Mayock a GM, I guess.  Less since he's actually in an organization. 

I'm just not on the "we cant let him walk" bandwagon, based off the evidence available.  Knowing who makes the draft day decisions on this team, it's impossible to know if Smith does such a good job that he's poised to be elevated by somebody.

3 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

I like the drafts.  I like the way we’ve been built so far.  We still have some weeds we have to get rid of but you can’t do that overnight and field a team.  We’re headed in the right direction.  We’re just not as far along as Bruce says.  

How many years does it take, man?

Every team has pieces.  Teams that have both GM and head coach that work together have pieces that work together optimally.

They couldn’t even do that with Gruden, a guy handpicked, with the Tampa connection and all.  It’s never happening, bro.

3 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Quinton Dunbar is disagreeing here.

Others that are showing improvment:

- Troy Apke, guy was a huge liability eraly last year and even in preseason, and he's becoming an interesting one.

- Steven Sims Jr.

- Trey Quinn also is becoming more important.

No future big name players, but those are reliable enough.

Wish I could see Martin and Piersbacher playing.

I'll give you Dunny. One game isn't enough of a sample size for Apke in my opinion, he's looked terrible in way more games than he's looked good. The others haven't played enough either imo. 

I just think we're trash at developing players. There may be a few that breakthrough here and there but the majority of our players never seem to take that next step. It's so rare for one of our players to go from good to great it seems like. 

4 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

That one is false.

We're top 5 in playing rookies this year.

We do not usually resign them, but we are at least playing them.

And we'll let all (or least most of them) leave after their rookie contracts. WHich kinda of supports the point - we may draft well but what does it matter when we don't develop those rookies to keep for the team? 

3 hours ago, Bunny Kelly said:

Murphy, Nsekhe, Roberts, Alexander, all starters on a 6-2 Bills but couldn't cut it with genius Jay. as much as FO has its faults it's hard to gauge them truly given the coaching that has been going on the last 6 years

Lorenzo Alexander left long before Jay, he was lost because of the cap penalty, and Roberts wasn't great with us.   Seriously we signed Desean jackson the same offseason and people's response to Andre was basically "we would have been in so much trouble if the Eagles hadn't let Jackson go."  Also Andre is on like his fourth team since he left us

23 minutes ago, nonniey said:

And we'll let all (or least most of them) leave after their rookie contracts. WHich kinda of supports the point - we may draft well but what does it matter when we don't develop those rookies to keep for the team? 

for years people criticized us for not trying to get comp picks.  To get comp picks we have to let people go

57 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

How many years does it take, man?

Every team has pieces.  Teams that have both GM and head coach that work together have pieces that work together optimally.

They couldn’t even do that with Gruden, a guy handpicked, with the Tampa connection and all.  It’s never happening, bro.

Thing is, our emperors been naked for a long time.  Regardless, the masses now see that our franchise was naked...not close.  It takes time to defeat a culture of “meism” ...rooted from our love affair with free agency.  For decades there’s been no sense of family.  It’s been “come get a check” and bounce.  You don’t develop anything that way.  You certainly can’t maintain any identity that way when you’re perpetually chasing your tail.  

this team is building again via the draft.  While that’s all well and good, we’ve actually done quite well at it....bonus!... And we’re lucky enough to have a youngster calling those shots.  

bruce has gotta go.  But he won’t til dan is convinced he can stadium without him.  F politics

Archived