Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

4 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

But surely you have seen many good QB's move laterally and evade the on coming rusher right?  I haven't seen many clips where this kid had to quickly move laterally.  And the way the Redskin's O-line gives up middle pressures it's a skill he better develop quickly; if he can.  I personally think it's more instinctive than something you can drill. 

Never seen him move out of the way and make a play.

Oh, wait, yes I have.

Want more?   I can find dozens.

5 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Also, can I say how much I hate the "other teams with QB needs passed on him" argument that some are using in criticize the pick...by that same logic, the fact that the Giants drafted Jones @ #6 means he's an elite talent that all the other QB-needy teams would have picked if they had the chance. This logic dictates that Jones be seen as a worthy pick at #6 and Haskins be seen as a reach at #15...because it's based primarily on how many QB-needy teams passed on each prospect. That's lazy analysis.

What the comparison to other teams tells you is that 2019 was a very weak at QB; only 3 drafted in the first round.  The smart move is to wait for 2020.  Next year the competition would have been whittled down to the Bengals and Dolphins.  Could have got Tua or Fromm.  Both SEC QB's who have a much better upside.  And better mobility. 

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

I subscribe to the approach of, as long as he's not getting his brains beat in, let him play if he's good enough.  Provided Keenum doesnt have them 7-1 at the halfway point or something crazy.  Game reps and experience will only help him for when they fill all the holes that are left.   

Agreed.  Just have an open competition in camp.  If he wins it, then you have to let him play.

8 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

But surely you have seen many good QB's move laterally and evade the on coming rusher right?  I haven't seen many clips where this kid had to quickly move laterally.  And the way the Redskin's O-line gives up middle pressures it's a skill he better develop quickly; if he can.  I personally think it's more instinctive than something you can drill. 

Hes got a super quick release. Its entirely possible that mitigates the amount he has to move. But I can tell you for a fact I saw clips of him moving in the pocket and setting his feet last night. Its something he does well, though inconsistently. He needs more practice at it. 

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

If they're doing it out of respect, there really is nothing to hate about a young kid feeling a need to be respectful.

If they're doing it out of tradition, there's really nothing to hate about that, either. The NFL is what it is due in part in the value placed on its traditions.

If they're doing it because retired players will throw a hissy fit if they are not asked, I would hate the retired player lol...

That's all I'm saying...I don't put ANY of this on the new player. 

I hate that here (maybe other places) this is a dynamic that exists. I partially blame the organization for their vague rules (not retired, but kind of out of circulation), I partially blame the fans for clinging to heroes from 30 years ago, and I partially blame some of the retired players. I have 0.0% of that blame for the new guys coming in. 

14 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

What the comparison to other teams tells you is that 2019 was a very weak at QB; only 2 drafted in the first round.  The smart move is to wait for 2020.  Next year the competition would have been whittled down to the Bengals and Dolphins.  Could have got Tua or Fromm.  Both SEC QB's who have a much better upside.  And better mobility. 

The super smart move would have been to lose every game until we could draft the kid from Clemson No. 1, right?   I mean, why take a guy many analysts had as the best player at his position in this draft when you can lose 32 games and get a guy who will be rated as highly as any player at his position in history, who, upon getting him, will NEVER have thrown a pass in the NFL on a team that is 0-32.

Your premise that waiting until next year whittles down the competition for a QB is silly.   If Matt Ryan gets hurt, there's a team.   Green Bay.    Dallas, when Prescott ****s the bed :).  Jacksonville when they realize they have Nick Foles.   The Cards when they realize their QB is out for the year again.   The Jets or Bills when they realize they also have Josh Rosen and need to give up on that guy.   ETC.   There will always be teams looking for QB.   

Haskins will be inexpensive.   If he doesn't work out you can still draft a QB in 2021.   How long did it take for RGIII to flame out exactly?   You're not stuck with a guy because you drafted a guy.   But if he's good, maybe you don't need anyone next year or the year after or even for a while after that.   YOU KNOW, if you get no one, you WILL need to find SOME ONE then.   We still may.   Or we may not.   Which is different, right?   And bad, how?

Say we go 1-15 and Gruden is gone and the new coach is the head coach from Oklahoma.  You don't think he could get Tua as his guy at No. 1 next year and trade Haskins for a song?   Didn't Arizona just do that with Rosen (I mean, when they trade him for a song at least).   You lose almost nothing giving yourself the OPTION of filling the most important position on the field with a guy who could fill it.   You lose a SEASON by NOT even trying.   Why not try when the guy you like and others like falls to your lap? 

Oh, and I don't even LIKE Haskins.   But it's stone stupid not to take him when he's there at No. 15.   I can't even talk my way out of that.

12 minutes ago, Art said:

Want more?   I can find dozens.

Yeah, and not against weak competition like Northwestern.  Or Purdue who got curb stomped by (8 - 5) Auburn 63 - 14.  Do you honestly think he's going to be that evasive vs philthy or the cowpies linemen?  I don't.  But, we'll talk at the end of the season.  I hope I'm wrong about him but I really don't believe I am.

Just now, Art said:

Say we go 1-15 and Gruden is gone and the new coach is the head coach from Oklahoma.  You don't think he could get Tua as his guy at No. 1 next year and trade Haskins for a song?   Didn't Arizona just do that with Rosen (I mean, when they trade him for a song at least).   You lose almost nothing giving yourself the OPTION of filling the most important position on the field with a guy who could fill it.   You lose a SEASON by NOT even trying.   Why not try when the guy you like and others like falls to your lap? 

Honestly? The fact that Dan only went to visit this kid (no other QB's) and that his son goes to the same high school as Haskins is what bothers me most.  And I think I have a right to be concerned because Danny's track record sucks!  If Kyle Smith and Jay had made this pick I'd be fine with it.  But it just smells like a DS panic move and that makes me very nervous. 

I'm not buying that Jay was all in on Haskins because he typically likes guys that can move.  I fear this kid will be exposed by the speed of NFL linemen. But hey, maybe that bad record will come in 2021 with Haskins playing for a new coach (who isn't invested in his QB) and we can get Lawrence after all. 

2 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Honestly? The fact that Dan only went to visit this kid (no other QB's) and that his son goes to the same high school as Haskins is what bothers me most.  And I think I have a right to be concerned because Danny's track record sucks!  If Kyle Smith and Jay had made this pick I'd be fine with it.  But it just smells like a DS panic move and that makes me very nervous. 

We can tell. Its good that you admit it though. (And it understandable. The only thing that worries me about is is exactly what worries you) 

I'm not buying that Jay was all in on Haskins because he typically likes guys that can move. 

You made this up lol

Yeah, and not against weak competition like Northwestern.  Or Purdue who got curb stomped by (8 - 5) Auburn 63 - 14.  Do you honestly think he's going to be that evasive vs philthy or the cowpies linemen?  I don't.  But, we'll talk at the end of the season.  I hope I'm wrong about him but I really don't believe I am.

Ok, so the criteria is not against pressure he faced against teams he faced, but pressure he faced against teams he didn't.   

Yes, I agree then he can not meet your criteria, as it doesn't exist.   Of course, when he played the best defensive in college football, how'd he look? 

No, he can't run.

Announcers said he's under pressure.   Probably wasn't though.

My GOSH SO SLOW.   Why is he RUNNING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Filthy pocket.   ****ty throw.   HE BLOWS.   Get the Clemson kid, eh?

Why is he even TRYING to avoid a clean up the middle pressure and make yards on the ground.   HE IS TOO SLOW.   Sheesh.

Why would you move an immobile player?   I only put this one in as it's a Mark Rypien play.   Roll one way, throw back the other.  I had fond memories, this isn't exactly on point though.

More ****ty pocket and finding a guy.   Oh, and the play before this he AGAIN throws perfectly.   I wonder if the YAC is because he throws so well?   Probably not.

Terrible snap, dodges pressure, runs, again.   He can't run though.   But he keeps running though.   Maybe you've never seen him play, or, maybe you're right.   Guess where I'm thinking?

Look, the man is flawed, or that arm and accuracy would make him generational.   NO ONE is saying he's perfect.

But you are stone nuts if you think there isn't a reason to add THAT guy to THIS team.   And, note, my posts are filled with data, not simple rambling.   Your reply will have the same, or, a quiet departure to a safe space is acceptable.

13 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

I'm not buying that Jay was all in on Haskins because he typically likes guys that can move.  I fear this kid will be exposed by the speed of NFL linemen. But hey, maybe that bad record will come in 2021 with Haskins playing for a new coach (who isn't invested in his QB) and we can get Lawrence after all. 

Well, most people would worry about his play, not his insane dislike of the owner.   HOW DID HASKINS PERFORM?   Right.   A panic move is NOT taking who many people considered the best QB in the draft on a team in need of a QB while sitting still and doing nothing.   You get that don't ya?

Hush.   You clearly don't know much.   Jay doesn't like guys that can move.   He dumped RGIII for Cousins because he likes guys, LIKE DALTON, who stand in the pocket and pass.   Idiots keep saying Jay likes a QB he's NEVER HAD.    Jay LOVES Colt McCoy.   He's not looking for a mover.   He's looking for a guy who can sling it and move ENOUGH.   How can you NOT know this by now.

19 minutes ago, Art said:

Your premise that waiting until next year whittles down the competition for a QB is silly.   If Matt Ryan gets hurt, there's a team.   Green Bay.    Dallas, when Prescott ****s the bed :).  Jacksonville when they realize they have Nick Foles.   The Cards when they realize their QB is out for the year again.   The Jets or Bills when they realize they also have Josh Rosen and need to give up on that guy.   ETC.   There will always be teams looking for QB.   

Haskins will be inexpensive.   If he doesn't work out you can still draft a QB in 2021.   

Not to mention that if Haskins isn't any good then he will also being putting the team in position to snag a QB by 2021 with losses. And he'll be doing it for pennies on the dollar compared to guys like Keenum, Smith, Cousins, etc. 

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Is it awful or just completely wrong to think this guy could be a far-less-rapey Ben Roethlisberger?

I think Roethlisberger is a decent comparison, but Dwayne is kind of his own bird.  He's got elements of X, Y, and Z quarterbacks in his game, but he's got his own style.

EDIT: to expand on this more, I think there is a similar burly physicality in the way they play the position, and they look similar in the way they move and run.  But Roethlisberger tends to draw out plays and is most comfortable with the vertical game, whereas I see Dwayne as being much more of a quick read and throw guy.  I think he's got a faster release too.  I see some Roethlisberger in him like you do, but I also see some Kirk Cousins, Jared Goff, and Andrew Luck too.  He's a classic pocket passer with advanced feel for the position and a traffic controller mentality whereas Ben is more of a backyard football gunslinger.

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Is it awful or just completely wrong to think this guy could be a far-less-rapey Ben Roethlisberger?

IMO, probably premature to be signing the contract on a timeshare in Honolulu, just yet.  

But unjustified optimism is both traditional, and welcomed, in here.  :) 

27 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Thanks for putting me on to that youtube channel.  I was in the market for a new taint hair trimmer.

Dude, I copied it at the spot I wanted watched didn't I :).   I can't help it if you guys need a Brozilian.

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think Roethlisberger is a decent comparison, but Dwayne is kind of his own bird.  He's got elements of X, Y, and Z quarterbacks in his game, but he's got his own style.

EDIT: to expand on this more, I think there is a similar burly physicality in the way they play the position, and they look similar in the way they move and run.  But Roethlisberger tends to draw out plays and is most comfortable with the vertical game, whereas I see Dwayne as being much more of a quick read and throw guy.  I think he's got a faster release too.  I see some Roethlisberger in him like you do, but I also see some Kirk Cousins, Jared Goff, and Andrew Luck too.  He's a classic pocket passer with advanced feel for the position and a traffic controller mentality whereas Ben is more of a backyard football gunslinger.

He's much more Alex Smith than he is Big Ben. Big Ben can throw deep, is elusive in the pocket and is comfortable under pressure. Haskins has none of those traits as of yet. Honestly, the only thing he has in common with Ben is body type really. 

3 minutes ago, Morrison J said:

He's much more Alex Smith than he is Big Ben. Big Ben can throw deep, is elusive in the pocket and is comfortable under pressure. Haskins has none of those traits as of yet. Honestly, the only thing he has in common with Ben is body type really. 

Can't align on this.

Alex Smith was the Top Pick in the draft who got there on his athletic ability and he ran a ton.   Like over 10 times a game ton.   Haskins has a better arm than Smith coming out or now.   Haskins ran 79 times in 14 games.   Like Ben who ran 67 times in 14 games in his final year.   Haskins is much more like Ben in terms of play style than he is like Smith.   Ben is taller and thicker though and more athletic though at this point probably not :).

You are not wrong to say that Haskins is not as polished as Ben was coming out of school under pressure situations.   Ben had 38 games and 1304 pass attempts in college.   Haskins had 590 pass attempts and 22 games.   Ben had more experience in college developing that which is why people do say you should maybe let Haskins spend a bit of time continuing his development on the bench where Ben was a ready-made starter.   I will say this though, Haskins got better and better as his experience developed to the point he ENDED his year with three games against ranked opponents where he played the best football of his career.   Maybe he's on the upswing :).   

I defer to no one in my dislike of the Redskins' FO, but I simply must congratulate them on an excellent First Round.

My preference going in was for them to trade down, but I feel like they made the right decisions in the end.

Gruden's said there will be an open QB competition in camp, and I hope he sticks with it.

Archived