Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

54 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You're creating a strawman if you're arguing against some sort of "overreaction". Nobody's worked up about it even in here. Just observations being made and tweets being commented on. 

Gil said, in response to a simple tweet from Breer about people giving up already on Haskins:  "Breer still holding out hope for Art Schlicter".

edit

LOL  Need to relax my friend. Never said people were all kinds of pissed off. Although your overreaction above would suggest I touched a nerve of some sort. I have no idea how. It was not my intention at all. Oversized and bold font? Seriously? Too funny.  

BTW: I was addressing specifically someone saying Gil Brandt has some Redskins hate is just hating to hate. And to me based on his comment it is a bit of reach. I do not see him comparing Art to Haskins at all. i believe he was cracking on Breer's ability to analyze players as he is not that high on Haskins - he has not hidden that and he is not alone. I am not one of those. I liek Haskins chances but there are fair criticisms of Haskins to be had. Again not a big deal to me as I don't read into it that he was comparing Art to Haskins, more smacking on Breer's evaluation abilities. But either way I do not see it as Gil just hating on the Skins which is what i was addressing. Clearly you and some others see it differently. Fair enough. Up to you. Moving on. 

@goskins10 lol sorry I copy and pasted Art Schlicter's name from somewhere else and even though I fixed the font of "Schlicter" the rest of the post stayed screwy. That isn't bolded or done on purpose. 

You again think simple disagreement is "overreacting" which isn't the case. 

The fact you don't think Gil is drawing a comparison between Haskins and Schlicter there is just weird and shows you're reading what you want into it while accusing others of doing the same when they're just trusting that it's simply explainable by Occum's Razor. 

You're right that we can just agree to disagree, but again it's strange that you don't see what Gil is doing with that extremely specific and deep pull of a comp. It's not for Breer's benefit as he was literally a toddler when Schlicter busted out of the league. It's an obvious comparison to a dude who went in the top-10 and then washed out of the league, who also had questionable character. He clearly thinks Haskins is a bust (which is his right), you're doing mental gymnastics to think he means anything else with that tweet.

Brandt was obviously taking a jab at Breer's QB analysis skills. If it was done in good fun and in no way meant to be connected to Haskins, then his response to that tweet was an absolutely idiotic decision (which is why I'm assuming it was deleted). And to me anyway, it's understandable how it could be taken as a jab at both Breer and the QB he was discussing.

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

@goskins10 lol sorry I copy and pasted Art Schlicter's name from somewhere else and even though I fixed the font of "Schlicter" the rest of the post stayed screwy. That isn't bolded or done on purpose. 

You again think simple disagreement is "overreacting" which isn't the case. 

The fact you don't think Gil is drawing a comparison between Haskins and Schlicter there is just weird and shows you're reading what you want into it while accusing others of doing the same when they're just trusting that it's simply explainable by Occum's Razor. 

You're right that we can just agree to disagree, but again it's strange that you don't see what Gil is doing with that extremely specific and deep pull of a comp. It's not for Breer's benefit as he was literally a toddler when Schlicter busted out of the league. It's an obvious comparison to a dude who went in the top-10 and then washed out of the league, who also had questionable character. He clearly thinks Haskins is a bust (which is his right), you're doing mental gymnastics to think he means anything else with that tweet.

There was no other way for me to take your comment with the bold and large font than an over-reaction. But Ok if that was unintentional the fair enough. 

And I find it even more odd that becasue I see it differently i am the one that is weird and doing mental gymnastics and on and on. Is it possible we just disagree? I see it differently. I do not see that connection. You do. I did not say you were wrong, weird, doing mental gymnastics or any of the other crap you threw at me. I said i thought it was  bit of a stretch looking for something that may not be there. Hell, for all I know you could be 100% right. Gil could have calculated that response. But my experience listening to him a lot - which is a big part of why I don't see the connection - is that is not who Gil Brandt is. He has always been pretty fair. Could there be a first time? Or could I have missed it where he did it before? Sure. I don;t hang on every word.

But again, I will say for the absolute last time I do not see gil hating just to hate which is what I first responded to. Nothing more - nothing less. 

31 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

There was no other way for me to take your comment with the bold and large font than an over-reaction. But Ok if that was unintentional the fair enough. 

And I find it even more odd that becasue I see it differently i am the one that is weird and doing mental gymnastics and on and on. Is it possible we just disagree? I see it differently. I do not see that connection. You do. I did not say you were wrong, weird, doing mental gymnastics or any of the other crap you threw at me. I said i thought it was  bit of a stretch looking for something that may not be there. Hell, for all I know you could be 100% right. Gil could have calculated that response. But my experience listening to him a lot - which is a big part of why I don't see the connection - is that is not who Gil Brandt is. He has always been pretty fair. Could there be a first time? Or could I have missed it where he did it before? Sure. I don;t hang on every word.

But again, I will say for the absolute last time I do not see gil hating just to hate which is what I first responded to. Nothing more - nothing less. 

That's fine, I don't care about the "Gil is a Washington hater" narrative, I don't think that's true either. I was more responding to your interpretation of his Haskins/Schlicter comment, and I still don't have a grasp on what your interpretation is--just that you don't agree with my interpretation, which is that he was making a comparison of Haskins to a huge 1st round bust who barely played in the NFL. Okay, what do you think he was saying, if it's unrelated to Haskins as a player/prospect?

Seems clear to me that he was criticizing Breer's evaluation of Haskins, which by extension is a criticism of Haskins.

Which, again, is fine. I just don't see what you think he's saying if it's not that. 

I went to the original source -- Twitter -- and read Brandt's response to Breer.  That response is "Breer still holding out hope for Art Schlichter." 

There are 3 ways to interpret that tweet or whatever you call it:

1.  Brandt is capping on Haskins.

2. Brandt is criticizing Breer's analytical skills and it's not about Haskins per se at all.

I get why someone might say it's #1.  But man, that's a really strange way of doing that.  Keep in mind, Brandt's 87 years old.  Obviously, he's still pretty with it, and frankly -- yes, :dallas_sucks:, but Gil Brandt, just read his Wiki page.  I think if he were going to criticize Haskins, he would actually do so rather than make a reference to some unknown guy.  Art Slicker?  I don't remember having a Topps card with anyone named Slicker on it.

#2 is certainly more intuitive.  He may actually be down on Haskins; I don't know.  But #2 sees it as Brandt telling us to take what Breer said but add salt.  However, I think it's simpler and more fundamental than that.

That's why the "correct" interpretation is #3 (which is related to #2), and that's that Brandt is laughing his @ss off at Breer and is literally chuckling "Breer still holding out hope for Art Slicker" as he's typing it up.  What he's basically saying is Breer should be discounted completely, not so much because he sucks, but because if he's still holding out hope for Art Slicker, then what's the point of Breer evaluating anyone until he makes up his mind on, this Slicker guy.  Brandt's response is more of a visceral/timing/stand-up thing than anything else.  Read both statements in your head as if you were hearing Breer and Brandt talking live.  What Brandt said only works to its full comedic effect if you know who Art Slicker is.  Obviously Brandt knows, so it's funny as hell to him.  It's also funny as hell to anyone who knows that Art Slicker was Ohio State's QB from 78-81, held several all-time school records when he finished, and finished 4th, 6th, and 5th in Heismann balloting (3 year finalist).  He was definitely going 1st round (went 4th) and he already had a gambling problem.  Thing is, things were different back then.  [Reminds me of the introduction to "Godzilla" on Blue Oyster Cult's E.T. Live album]   Lotta people talking about every little thing that goes on with a player these days.  They don't remember going way back, a long time ago when there was network television (3 channels!), the daily newspapers, and if you wanted to comment on something, you wrote a letter to Glenn Brenner.  If the school wanted to make a concerted effort to keep it hush-hush, and since it didn't bleed it didn't lead, it was easy to do.  He already had a huge problem gambling on horse races.  Today, he would be kicked off the team.  Unless he was winning, because because playin' the ponies is not gambling on his own sport (like Pete Rose did), and before you go "Indianapolis!!!", they're colts, not ponies.

Anyway, Slicker started playin' the ponies in high school, won his first time, and got bit so bad it destroyed his life.  We're talking prison.  Now, it's not as face-palm worthy as what Dunbar did (unless Dunbar developed an addiction to armed robbery, then it's a tad less WTF, but that's a joke)., but he had the tools to be a good QB.  Utter mess and I don't know what OSU did, if anything, to help Slicker.

One last thing.  If anyone knows who KK Downing of Judas Priest is ("breakin' the law, breaking the law").  His autobiography came out a couple of years ago and, man, he had a seriously dysfunctional childhood.  His father blew their welfare money on the ponies and would sometimes make KK go with him to the track. KK hated it because of his experience whereas Schlichter went with friends on his own and won $.  KK did pretty well for himself, ill-advised golf ventures notwithstanding.  Schlichter couid not occur today because it would be all over Twitter as he was losing money.  Sad story though.  Dunno whether he was a jerk or decent guy before his Godzilla-sized addiction stomped all over him, but such a waste regardless. 

Some O line talk, not per se on Haskins, but relevant IMO considering arguably LT might be a big wildcard for the offense/Haskins this season.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/40039/trent-williams-chase-young-moves-reflect-redskins-approach

After trading Williams to the San Francisco 49ers, the Redskins could have signed veteran free-agent tackle Jason Peters. They know he would be their best left tackle even at age 38, but they didn't want to spend just because they had the cap space; rather, they want to see if anyone on the roster can become a quality starting left tackle. First up: Geron Christian.

Part of the thinking: If they sign Peters, they would still need another tackle after the season, and it's debatable how much better they'd be in 2020. Christian is a free agent after 2021 and they want to know whether he can be more than a swing tackle. If he can be, it alters their future search at this position. If not, they can find one next offseason. And if Christian or others struggle in training camp, they could pivot from their current thinking.

This should be a natural ascension for Christian, a third-round pick in 2018. Before being drafted, Christian was considered an athletic tackle with long arms who could be developed. ESPN draft analysts Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay projected Christian as a second-round pick.

But doubts will persist with Christian, who hasn't shown he is capable of being a full-time starter. There were questions internally about his play demeanor last season. Despite the mess that was their 2019 season -- the Redskins finished 3-13 and fired coach Jay Gruden after five games -- Christian started two games and played 138 snaps on offense, according to ESPN Stats & Information. They continued to start Donald Penn at left tackle ahead of him, even though they knew Penn didn't factor into their future. It spoke volumes about their thoughts on Christian's development.

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

they want to see if anyone on the roster can become a quality starting left tackle. First up: Geron Christian.

Part of the thinking: If they sign Peters, they would still need another tackle after the season, and it's debatable how much better they'd be in 2020. Christian is a free agent after 2021 and they want to know whether he can be more than a swing tackle. If he can be, it alters their future search at this position. If not, they can find one next offseason. And if Christian or others struggle in training camp, they could pivot from their current thinking.

This should be a natural ascension for Christian, a third-round pick in 2018. Before being drafted, Christian was considered an athletic tackle with long arms who could be developed. ESPN draft analysts Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay projected Christian as a second-round pick.

But doubts will persist with Christian, who hasn't shown he is capable of being a full-time starter. There were questions internally about his play demeanor last season. Despite the mess that was their 2019 season -- the Redskins finished 3-13 and fired coach Jay Gruden after five games -- Christian started two games and played 138 snaps on offense, according to ESPN Stats & Information. They continued to start Donald Penn at left tackle ahead of him, even though they knew Penn didn't factor into their future. It spoke volumes about their thoughts on Christian's development.

With all the talk of Christian, as well as the future of LT beyond 2020 and '21, why is there no mention of Charles, at all ?

Archived