Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

A little behind the times, but I'm enjoying the off season Haskins seems to be having. I like that he's working his butt off, arranging private workouts with his receivers, and seem to be ready to do what it takes to take the next step. Heck, I even enjoyed reading his breakdown of his struggles last season. They seemed reasonable and honestly self-critical.

16 minutes ago, Burgold said:

A little behind the times, but I'm enjoying the off season Haskins seems to be having. I like that he's working his butt off, arranging private workouts with his receivers, and seem to be ready to do what it takes to take the next step. Heck, I even enjoyed reading his breakdown of his struggles last season. They seemed reasonable and honestly self-critical.

Agreed, he’s done everything possible to improve. That’s all we can ask. Excited to see him on the field.

Worst ranked receiving corps by PFF...

Ranking every NFL receiving corps heading into the 2020 NFL season

32. WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Terry McLaurin was awesome as a rookie last season. Outside of McLaurin, though, there really isn’t a whole lot to get excited about here. Kelvin Harmon and Steven Sims did some nice things with overall grades of 64.7 and 64.6 in 2019, but neither of them can be counted on at this stage. The tight end position is a giant question mark, and the only players the Redskins brought in this offseason to improve the receiving corps were Cody Latimer (has never played more than 400 snaps in a single season in his six-year career and was recently arrested), Antonio Gandy-Golden (a fourth-round rookie who projects as a possession receiver) and Antonio Gibson (intriguing player who can slot at either running back or wide receiver). Those additions are unlikely to move the needle all that much next season.

Yeah we are definitely lacking for proven consistent WR/TE weapons. I think there is upside though. We are young and inexperienced as hell. But if Haskins shows out, I think we can surprise people offensively. QB makes it all go.

Now that Oline, we’ll see, I have hope it’ll be decent. Even there, QB makes a huge difference. If DH knows where he’s going and seeing the field well, he can mitigate the OL worrys a bit.  HUGE opportunity in front of him.

I just keep having that yukky feeling in my tummy about the o line not performing well..Jason Peters I believe..eagles ex tackle..might just be our left tackle by week 1. And who knows maybe he just did not fit the system being installed but I gots a feeling we could be regretting letting flowers go...point being it could possibly lead haskins to regress...like one mentioned..its prob a good thing haskins lost that weight and trimmed down cause he could be on the move alot this year... yeah, fingers crossed the oline comes together for haskins.

23 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Yeah we are definitely lacking for proven consistent WR/TE weapons. I think there is upside though. We are young and inexperienced as hell. But if Haskins shows out, I think we can surprise people offensively. QB makes it all go.

Now that Oline, we’ll see, I have hope it’ll be decent. Even there, QB makes a huge difference. If DH knows where he’s going and seeing the field well, he can mitigate the OL worrys a bit.  HUGE opportunity in front of him.

If haskins is on the run throwing the ball I always go back to that play against the giants at home down close to the redzone and he begins to run for what I thought was for a first down than he slings it into the endzone for a t.d(to I cant remember who)...god I remember that play like it was yesterday..he started to run than started to throw and I was all like "noooooo dont throw it pick up the first with your feet"!!

That throw was absolutely ah may zing..

If he's on the run throwing more this year, we'll be aight..

16 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

With all the talk of Christian, as well as the future of LT beyond 2020 and '21, why is there no mention of Charles, at all ?

They also drafted tackle Saahdiq Charles in the fourth round this year, though they will also work him at guard.

"Growing up an offensive lineman, I watched Trent plenty of times," Charles said. "I have a lot of respect for his game. Just to see that they traded him and they picked me, just shows what they might have in mind for me."

The Redskins know this is the best time to see what they have and go from there. It's the prism through which they have viewed their offseason.

"He's a guy that has a chance to contribute early on," Rivera said of Charles, "and quite frankly, because we're starting over, we're starting from the beginning, everything is on the table."

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/40039/trent-williams-chase-young-moves-reflect-redskins-approach

12 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Worst ranked receiving corps by PFF...

Ranking every NFL receiving corps heading into the 2020 NFL season

32. WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Terry McLaurin was awesome as a rookie last season. Outside of McLaurin, though, there really isn’t a whole lot to get excited about here. Kelvin Harmon and Steven Sims did some nice things with overall grades of 64.7 and 64.6 in 2019, but neither of them can be counted on at this stage. The tight end position is a giant question mark, and the only players the Redskins brought in this offseason to improve the receiving corps were Cody Latimer (has never played more than 400 snaps in a single season in his six-year career and was recently arrested), Antonio Gandy-Golden (a fourth-round rookie who projects as a possession receiver) and Antonio Gibson (intriguing player who can slot at either running back or wide receiver). Those additions are unlikely to move the needle all that much next season.

Honestly not sure if this is fair or not.

I actually feel pretty good about the trio of McClaurin, Harmon and Simms. By the end of the season, they resembled a pretty legit receiving corp despite the injuries, QB play, and the fact that they were all rookies. I can see why outsiders looking primarily at broad brush statistics would look down on our group, but we have a speedster, an excellent possession guy with gluey hands, and a electric jitterbug at the slot. It's doubtful they displace the Posse as the best 'skins receiver group ever, but it's equally unlikely they will be the NFL's worst by the end of the year. In fact, I'd be really surprised if they weren't rated at least in the middle of the pack.

As for TE, the fact that I'm trying to get so excited about an UDFA rookie and hope he can start tells ya all you need to know. But who knows? Maybe Logan Ryan is ready to explode? Maybe the flashes we saw from Hentges were foreshadowing to a really solid year? Maybe Sprinkle gets bionic hand surgery?

Idk with the huge question mark and I mean HUGE question mark at o line and Dwayne getting the playbook down those receivers might very unfortunately come out ranked right around 32...out side of some decent catches and a few td's the o line play could cause them to be ranked like that.

58 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Idk with the huge question mark and I mean HUGE question mark at o line and Dwayne getting the playbook down those receivers might very unfortunately come out ranked right around 32...out side of some decent catches and a few td's the o line play could cause them to be ranked like that.

Wait? Aren't you the ever-unrealistically-optimistic one. C'mon, dude. Get your lines straight. 

I think it's fair to question how good our receiving corps will be, so if it were the teams with the biggest question marks in their receiving corps we'd be down there. But by the end of the season we had a rookie QB and our entire receiving corps was rookies and they didn't look that bad, especially considering the circumstances of the season down the road. Just flat out ranking an entire receiving corps that showed promise but is all only in their 2nd year as bottom of the league is a bit harsh I think. 

Plus, how many teams can say they have an honest to god legit #1 receiver like McLaurin? A guy with good size and elite speed, an already borderline elite route runner, runs the full route tree well, can beat press coverage at the line, kills it with contested catches, and is very productive? A guy who defenses had to focus on and put their best guy on, even though overall we were terrible.

And it's not like he was going against scrubs last year either. He went against some really good CBs. That's including DPOY Stephon Gilmore who he had 51 yards against. May not sound like much but considering that our total passing offense that game was 122 yards and Gilmore was covering him all game, it ain't bad. 

So yeah, our receiving corps is much more of a question mark than "bad".

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So yeah, our receiving corps is much more of a question mark than "bad".

I agree.  It's strange to me that they're so low on Sims, especially.  Probably because of his drops.  But it is true that everyone is a question mark, even Terry to an extent until he proves he can do it again.  If question mark = bad, so be it.  

To their credit, it's hard to argue we'll likely be near the bottom of the league overall when you include TEs. 

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I agree.  It's strange to me that they're so low on Sims, especially.  Probably because of his drops.  But it is true that everyone is a question mark, even Terry to an extent until he proves he can do it again.  If question mark = bad, so be it.  

To their credit, it's hard to argue we'll likely be near the bottom of the league overall when you include TEs. 

I think they base it strictly on stats and haven't looked at film or games at all.

When you cut Latimer, we have 12 WRs left on the roster with a combined 16 years experience in the league. Quick math, 1.33 years each. Over 12 players.

that is both exciting and car crash. So any sceptical view is fine by me.

I understand the trepidation about our inexperienced WR room but can anybody honestly tell me that they liked any group we've had since Garcon and DJax were here better in practice—not on paper—than the handful of rooks last year?  If one or two of them take another step in year two (Terry doesn't really need to but he's probably not as good as he's ultimately gonna be yet), we could be sitting pretty with an inexpensive set of WR's who you'd have to hope continue to gel with Dwayne as they came into the league together.

54 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

I understand the trepidation about our inexperienced WR room but can anybody honestly tell me that they liked any group we've had since Garcon and DJax were here better in practice—not on paper—than the handful of rooks last year?  If one or two of them take another step in year two (Terry doesn't really need to but he's probably not as good as he's ultimately gonna be yet), we could be sitting pretty with an inexpensive set of WR's who you'd have to hope continue to gel with Dwayne as they came into the league together.

OUR war’s have sucked since we let Garçon and DJax gone, but for a while we had Christ Thompson and Jordan Reed lighting up the passing game. 

in any case using the previous sucky skins as a comparison doesn’t bode well. Unless AGG is magic, our WR’s don’t look good when you also factor in TE play. 

Keep in mind that Simms started coming on towards the end of the year as we opened the offense a bit. In the last 4 games he averaged 57 yards a game and had 4 TDs. Average that out over a season and it's over 900 yards from our slot guy, not too shabby when you add that to McClaurin.

33 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

OUR war’s have sucked since we let Garçon and DJax gone, but for a while we had Christ Thompson and Jordan Reed lighting up the passing game. 

in any case using the previous sucky skins as a comparison doesn’t bode well. Unless AGG is magic, our WR’s don’t look good when you also factor in TE play. 

Including TE definitely makes it a different story, there's not much to say there other than we probably don't have an answer there this year.  Like the post above me, if you extrapolate out the production over the span that Simms and Harmon started geting meaningful tagets,  I think you start to see the potential.  DO you think all 3 are as good as they're ever gonna be?

The fact the team's second best receiver at this point is Steve Sims and half the fans still misspell his name is not a great sign for the strength of the receiving corps. It is definitely not a  proven group and while you could argue the upside, I'd hope any team ranked that low at least had some younger players with upside. It's McLaurin and then a whole lot of who knows for the Redskins. I think one would be hard pressed to find another team with less. Jacksonville ranked 31st in the same ranking and they have D.J. Chark (put up similar numbers to McLaurin in 2019), Chris Conley (over 700 yards in 2019), Dede Westbrook (over 700 yards in 2018 and over 650 in 2019), and just drafted their own Antonio Gibson like player in second rounder Laviska Shenault Jr. I didn't even mention Keelan Cole, who had 748 yards as an undrafted free agent in 2017 (but has since tailed off, a cautionary tale that not all young players progress forward). Tight end is weaker, though Jacksonville at least has some promise in Josh Oliver. He was picked 69th overall in 2019.

The sophomore trio is at least promising.  McLaurin is a budding star and I think Harmon is going to be a player.  He hasn't proven anything at all, but there are just so many little glimpses of him playmaking through tough man coverage that he's gotten me irrationally optimistic about his future.  He's a competitor who has that mentality that 50/50 balls are his.  If you're the QB, you trust that.  And coming up together as rookies who had to claw their way into more prominent roles, I think he and Dwayne are going to have a great deal of on-field chemistry and I think he's going to be a keeper.  Sims was reasonably productive for a UDFA rookie and has a pretty clear role.  I like AGG too, though not as someone who will make an impact next season. 

To an outside perspective, yeah our WR group looks like a bunch of nothing.  I think we all here realize that the outside skeptics could be right.  But there is reason for us to be hopeful.  It's not an elite group of weapons but they have the inherent talent to end up being league average, and if we have a good run game and good QB play, that could be enough to run a good offense.

9 hours ago, Jericho said:

The fact the team's second best receiver at this point is Steve Sims and half the fans still misspell his name is not a great sign for the strength of the receiving corps. It is definitely not a  proven group and while you could argue the upside, I'd hope any team ranked that low at least had some younger players with upside. It's McLaurin and then a whole lot of who knows for the Redskins. I think one would be hard pressed to find another team with less. Jacksonville ranked 31st in the same ranking and they have D.J. Chark (put up similar numbers to McLaurin in 2019), Chris Conley (over 700 yards in 2019), Dede Westbrook (over 700 yards in 2018 and over 650 in 2019), and just drafted their own Antonio Gibson like player in second rounder Laviska Shenault Jr. I didn't even mention Keelan Cole, who had 748 yards as an undrafted free agent in 2017 (but has since tailed off, a cautionary tale that not all young players progress forward). Tight end is weaker, though Jacksonville at least has some promise in Josh Oliver. He was picked 69th overall in 2019.

I don't think some misspellings have much impact on whether or not the players will be good. Fans didn't expect McLaurin to be a great receiver last year and yet he was. Jury is out on Harmon being the possession guy, but he has the ability we just need to see if he can do it in his second year. 

The point is we have plenty of play making talent on offense IF Haskins shows he's the guy this year. If Haskins continues improving after how he played last year our offense will be just fine. 

I think we have plenty of talent at RB and if Guyce stays healthy he will show himself to be a top back in this league. McClaurin has the ability and work ethic to be one of the best receivers in the league, and Simms as well when talking about the slot.

Archived