Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

I think it’s fair to assume we will cover up some of our weak areas like O-line with a lot of short quick passes to GIbson/Sims/Guice/McKissic that will spread the defense out, gas them, keep them from pinning their ears back against our line and supplements our run game. That, coupled with the play action game off of Peterson can alleviate a lot of issues with the o line. Not erase them, but lessen their impact, at least. Assuming both Haskins and McLaurin improve, Scary Terry demands a double team or shading on every play and can still win. If defenses don’t that makes things simple. If they do that opens up the above mentioned short and intermediate game for all the guys listed above and sing,e coverage for Harmon/AGG/Sims all day. 

I get the overall sentiment of the piece and given the youth and inexperience it’s hard to argue against. But I think we have the speed, athleticism, versatility and YES even size (Harmon/AGG) to really offset any weaknesses by creating mismatches. It really just depends on these guys buying in, picking up the offense and executing it with confidence. Oh, and that Turner actually can run an offense to his players strengths rather than force them into his mold!

Good, I hope we are ranked last in everything.  Fly under the radar, and give these players a chip on their shoulder.

But we deserve to be near the very bottom for wr rankings.  Every team have players with potential, and outside of mclaurin who has played a whopping 14 NFL games, all we are doing as fans is relying on what our wrs could be.  They all have yet to do much, so they deserve to be ranked low until they prove otherwise.

I'd expect next year's rankings we move up to middle of the pack.

On 5/23/2020 at 8:13 AM, MisterPinstripe said:

I don't think some misspellings have much impact on whether or not the players will be good. Fans didn't expect McLaurin to be a great receiver last year and yet he was. Jury is out on Harmon being the possession guy, but he has the ability we just need to see if he can do it in his second year. 

The point is we have plenty of play making talent on offense IF Haskins shows he's the guy this year. If Haskins continues improving after how he played last year our offense will be just fine. 

I think we have plenty of talent at RB and if Guyce stays healthy he will show himself to be a top back in this league. McClaurin has the ability and work ethic to be one of the best receivers in the league, and Simms as well when talking about the slot.

The comment was meant somewhat in jest. But my simple point was that if a player was good, fans would actually learn to spell their names correctly. Obviously it doesn't mean players can't become good (how random people on the internet spell has nothing to do with a player's talent), but does mean said players haven't "arrived" if fans can't even be bothered to learn their names (and yes, it's just a segment of the fans, but still...).

Though I feel like I being trolled when you spell every player's name wrong.

31 minutes ago, Jericho said:

The comment was meant somewhat in jest. But my simple point was that if a player was good, fans would actually learn to spell their names correctly. Obviously it doesn't mean players can't become good (how random people on the internet spell has nothing to do with a player's talent), but does mean said players haven't "arrived" if fans can't even be bothered to learn their names (and yes, it's just a segment of the fans, but still...).

Though I feel like I being trolled when you spell every player's name wrong.

Haha, I was hoping that wouldn't go unnoticed. 

I hear what you are saying.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Looks like all the rookie QBs last year sans K. Murray need to work on deep ball accuracy. 

Not surprising.  So much of deep ball accuracy comes down to timing and chemistry with WRs.  Kyler was able to develop that via reps with his 1st string weapons in OTAs, training camp and the preseason.  I don't think any of the other rookie QBs had that luxury.

Though it's also true that Kyler's touch, on throws that require it, is ridiculously good - maybe even better than Brees and Wilson.  I hope Haskins is working on this in his private workouts, rather than just practicing throwing everything on a rope.  Having great touch is such an underrated QB skill that can help separate the good from the JAGs and the elite from the good.

Haskins is "Not Hot" but in fact, the opposite : "Icy", according to Sessler

" Dwayne Haskins deserves a do-over after spending seven rookie starts inside a clock-chewing, ground-obsessed Redskins offense determined to get everyone home in time for a full helping of 60 Minutes. I don't love his chances for a Year 2 breakout, though, with an uber-young receiving group that failed to put a ring on Amari Cooper. Still, Terry McLaurin gives you a chance. "

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-hot-or-not-chiefs-broncos-sizzle-dwayne-haskins-icy

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Didn't surprise me that Wilson is #1.  Surprised Dak was ranked so high.    Looks like all the rookie QBs last year sans K. Murray need to work on deep ball accuracy.

Well Gardner Minshew is ranked third so not all rookies.

Obviously, Haskins needs some work there. He overthrew some wide open guys last year. However, I am confident, that with better mechanics this is fixable. He got the arm strenght for sure and he also makes nice reads.

3 hours ago, Panninho said:

Well Gardner Minshew is ranked third so not all rookies.

Obviously, Haskins needs some work there. He overthrew some wide open guys last year. However, I am confident, that with better mechanics this is fixable. He got the arm strenght for sure and he also makes nice reads.

I didn't look at Minshew, good catch, I focused on Haskins, Jones, Lock, Murray.

I recall some mixed reports about Haskins on the deep ball before the draft.  So I dug into it again just now.  Found this PFF article which compared him to Sam Bradford.  

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-dwayne-haskins-isnt-a-finished-product-but-still-possesses-a-valuable-skillset-worth-taking-early-in-the-draft

The other part of Haskins’ game that needs improvement is his deep passing, as he was below average in terms of accuracy last season. This isn’t a major concern as deep passing numbers can be driven by wide receiver talent and scheme, so as long as Haskins remains efficient in the short and intermediate range, he can stumble into a few strong years throwing the ball down the field.

FINAL WORD

SAMMY-1024x530.png

Like most starting quarterbacks in the NFL, Haskins is dependent upon his supporting cast in order to get the most out of him. There are 8-10 quarterbacks in the NFL who have separated themselves into the top tier and are most likely capable of carrying a lesser supporting cast, but the next 20 or so quarterbacks are in a much more interchangeable range where the environment around them (receivers, offensive line, play caller) have a much bigger impact on their statistical output. Haskins falls into more of the interchangeable category, whereas Murray has the best chance to crack the top 10. And that’s ok for Haskins, especially when playing on a rookie contract where it’s easier to develop a team around the quarterback.

His skillset reminds of Sam Bradford, who has been fantastic at throwing accurately in the short and intermediate ranges while taking good care of the football, but when plays go off schedule or the supporting cast is not one of the league’s best, it’s too much of an ask to get him to carry the team. That’s where Haskins falls in the PFF projections, though there is value in this skillset in today’s NFL, as long as the supporting cast is intact.

Ok, I'll take that ^^

People always seem to want to judge players in a vacuum, but they're not interchangeable LEGOs. Right now IMO Haskins needs Rivera a lot more than the reverse, but that's ok, Ron & Co are gonna give him every chance to succeed. I am far more interested/concerned/worried about what the O line will be than Haskins or the WRs, but even there the line play will determine the bulk of the success (or lack thereof). 

I know it's my old guy 20/<squint> vision but Haskins is still very young, hasn't grown into his pro self yet so I am far more focused on the bigger picture of what DH can do as part of the team, not just the roster but the whole organizational team.

We're not going to the SB this year, I simply can't get high enough to think that, but we can lay the foundation for future runs. Haskins being comparable to Bradford? I'll take that, tune his ass up. We're not the only ones that will be feeling our way into a weird season, Haskins et. al. have to feel good about Rivera leading them into it.

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Haskins is "Not Hot" but in fact, the opposite : "Icy", according to Sessler

" Dwayne Haskins deserves a do-over after spending seven rookie starts inside a clock-chewing, ground-obsessed Redskins offense determined to get everyone home in time for a full helping of 60 Minutes. I don't love his chances for a Year 2 breakout, though, with an uber-young receiving group that failed to put a ring on Amari Cooper. Still, Terry McLaurin gives you a chance. "

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-hot-or-not-chiefs-broncos-sizzle-dwayne-haskins-icy

Thank's for posting this. Following comments are about the author not you 🙂  

I often wonder how much of a player these prognosticators actually watch and then I see something like this and it's confirmed, not much. Maybe almost nothing. And they tend to focus anything negative. 

The problem i have with most evaluations of Haskins is they seem to all focus on the first 2 to 3 starts. It's like "well I know what he is, moving on". Anyone who did that is doing Haskins and themselves a dis-service. His opening 2 games were legendary in how awful they were. Not sure you could make a worse start then he did. However, the next few starts where he was actually being prepared for the game and there was some semblance of a game plan for him, he looked serviceable. The last two games he looked very good. Many of the things people complain about him he actually had fixed at least for those last two game. 

I am not way saying based on that he has arrived. But just like you can't ignore those first few games you can't ignore he showed much improvement. 

For example, many key on when the play breaks down he is not good. Well early on that is totally fair. But those last two games he was a different person. He threw several amazing passes to guys while scrambling. But he also showed more willingness to run but with better timing of when. And he showed more mobility towards the end. ANd him dropping the rest of his baby fat will only help that. 

I have no problem with criticizing Haskins. But you have to look at the entire picture. I see him as someone with both a very high ceiling but in fairness a very low floor. If he continues to improve he has the athleticism to be great. If he reverts to how he played early he could be a major bust. But unlike the article author I like his chances to bust out this coming season an d prove he is the starter. Oh I am glad we did not get Amari COoper. He is fair weather player. When it's all going good around him he is fine. But when it is really on him to make a play he is getting worse as time goes by. I think we dodged one there. 

On 5/25/2020 at 11:18 AM, goskins10 said:

Thank's for posting this. Following comments are about the author not you 🙂  

I often wonder how much of a player these prognosticators actually watch and then I see something like this and it's confirmed, not much. Maybe almost nothing. And they tend to focus anything negative. 

The problem i have with most evaluations of Haskins is they seem to all focus on the first 2 to 3 starts. It's like "well I know what he is, moving on". Anyone who did that is doing Haskins and themselves a dis-service. His opening 2 games were legendary in how awful they were. Not sure you could make a worse start then he did. However, the next few starts where he was actually being prepared for the game and there was some semblance of a game plan for him, he looked serviceable. The last two games he looked very good. Many of the things people complain about him he actually had fixed at least for those last two game. 

I am not way saying based on that he has arrived. But just like you can't ignore those first few games you can't ignore he showed much improvement. 

For example, many key on when the play breaks down he is not good. Well early on that is totally fair. But those last two games he was a different person. He threw several amazing passes to guys while scrambling. But he also showed more willingness to run but with better timing of when. And he showed more mobility towards the end. ANd him dropping the rest of his baby fat will only help that. 

I have no problem with criticizing Haskins. But you have to look at the entire picture. I see him as someone with both a very high ceiling but in fairness a very low floor. If he continues to improve he has the athleticism to be great. If he reverts to how he played early he could be a major bust. But unlike the article author I like his chances to bust out this coming season an d prove he is the starter. Oh I am glad we did not get Amari COoper. He is fair weather player. When it's all going good around him he is fine. But when it is really on him to make a play he is getting worse as time goes by. I think we dodged one there. 

Haskins' play is trending up based on last years play and i would expect it to continue that way.  

20 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

Glad Simba is making friends with one of the most toxic individuals in the history of the NFL, the company you keep

86% first thought after watching was taking a flier on AB lol 

In Ron I trust. Work that EQ Ron! 

1 hour ago, ggarriso said:

Glad Simba is making friends with one of the most toxic individuals in the history of the NFL, the company you keep

That's one way to look at it, and no one is surprised that that's how you choose to view it.

3 hours ago, ggarriso said:

The only thing toxic here is your opinion on Dwayne haskins and I believe I speak for everyone (including his detractors) when I say you should just keep it to yourself from now on.

It's well documented and nobody needs to hear it anymore.

Archived