Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC: California Governor signs bill allowing college athletes to get paid

No Excuses

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1060321#click=https://t.co/Pmspkjenue

Calling the forced amateurism of student-athletes "a bankrupt model," California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a first-in-the-nation bill Monday that clears the way for college players to be paid from endorsement deals.

The legislation allows student-athletes to sign endorsement deals and prohibits the governing body of college sports, the National Collegiate Athletic Association, and the schools from banning those compensated athletes.

NCAA rules strictly prohibit athletes from profiting in any way from their sports, and the law would still bar schools from directly paying athletes.

The new regulation is scheduled to start in 2023.

"Colleges reap billions from student athletes but block them from earning a single dollar. That’s a bankrupt model," Newsom tweeted after signing the bill.

The NCAA acknowledged in a statement Monday that its current regulations on amateurism will need to change, but said California's new law won't help.

I think the state of Maryland should pass a law allowing the Redskins and Ravens to ignore the NFL salary cap, and forbidding the NFL from doing anything about it. 

Making them immune from offensive holding penalties might be good, too. 

23 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

The law won't into effect until 2023.  Expect a **** ton of law suits from The NCAA.  They have already threatened to ban California schools from competing for NCAA championships. 

Not sure what law suits will accomplish. The more states that go this route, the more schools can just exit the NCAA and form their own league. 

Money will go where the best talent does, and talent will go where it gets compensated fairly. 

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Not sure what law suits will accomplish. The more states that go this route, the more schools can just exit the NCAA and form their own league. 

Money will go where the best talent does, and talent will go where it gets compensated fairly. 

Agreed.  The NCAA's mistake here is they think they have the hand in the situation.  Kids that are looking at a one and done opportunity and to make some money aren't going to care if they get to play for an NCAA championship or not.

3 hours ago, No Excuses said:

I definitely think the NCAA is exploiting the players but do you really think there's a chance of a rival regulatory agency that will compete with the NCAA?  (They're the 800 pound gorilla.  I don't see that happening.) 

2 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I think laws like this will help force the hand of the NCAA to a more equitable system. 

They have to

they can’t afford to lose the CA schools, and other state’s will follow and they can’t lose them either. 

the dam has broke. 

1 hour ago, Rocky21 said:

I definitely think the NCAA is exploiting the players but do you really think there's a chance of a rival regulatory agency that will compete with the NCAA?  (They're the 800 pound gorilla.  I don't see that happening.) 

It will happen if the NCAA boots out schools. Schools already have the infrastructure to recruit players and publish content/televise games. The NCAA is on the losing end of this debate and will either have to adapt or will get replaced.

This is pretty much free market 101. Top athletes will go where the money is and other states will follow suit to keep their local colleges and uni's competitive.

16 minutes ago, twa said:

I disagree, but not the thread for it.

I'm glad to see them get paid.

I know that it’s a huge conservative platitude to cry foul at taxes, but it’s literally getting paid, and paying taxes on it, vs not getting paid.

Id rather get paid.  And there’s nearly no circumstance where getting a raise does not benefit more than the increased tax burden.

3 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

Sure.  They are called the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, ACC and PAC 12 (and the rest).  The infrastructure is already there to do everything the NCAA does.  They'll either operate independently or combine into one or more entities not under the NCAA.  

35 minutes ago, China said:

How does it work if say a player performs really well one year, can another school make him an offer of higher pay to lure him away, and would he have to sit out a year when transferring?

These details are going to have to get worked out.  Another concern is whether you can pay your all-american QB more than your freshman punter.  Meaning, is there a payscale and what is it based on.  And does every team have a "salary cap" or can Texas and Alabama and Ohio State just go ****ing crazy?  Same cap within conferences?  Same cap nationwide (meaning, power 5)?  

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

I know that it’s a huge conservative platitude to cry foul at taxes, but it’s literally getting paid, and paying taxes on it, vs not getting paid.

Id rather get paid.  And there’s nearly no circumstance where getting a raise does not benefit more than the increased tax burden.

TWA is Hadley from Shawshank.  (NSFW Language). 

47 minutes ago, China said:

How does it work if say a player performs really well one year, can another school make him an offer of higher pay to lure him away, and would he have to sit out a year when transferring?

This is where the headline in the OP is a little misleading

The schools don't pay the players. All this law says is that college players are allowed to get paid on their name and likeness (endorsement deals, video games, etc), as long as those endorsements don't interfere with the school's contracts (player cant sign addidas endorsement that requires them to wear addidas if the school has a nike contract, etc).

i think way more people would be on board with this if they actually understood the law. its never been fair for the ncaa to make money off of someone's name when that person couldn't..

Thank you, @PokerPacker, for going straight voice of reason in this to bring it back home.  

It would be straight BS if the colleges decided not to give academic scholarships to players because they can get endorsement deals.  In fact, that reaction would be suicide because then players would only go to schools that give them the best chance to get one in order to afford to go to school.  

What I want to see next is level 11 and caps on coaches salaries.  It is absolutely atrocious that the highest paid government employee in nearly every state is a college coach making millions in the Middle of a student debt crisis.  This whole college sports thing is about to get flipped upside down and it's about damn time.

Archived